wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Ghost Forums > Map Database
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 04-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
TheZizz
User

Submissions (1)

TheZizz will become famous soon enough (32)TheZizz will become famous soon enough (32)

Approved Map: Uther Party 2

Default (8) Uther Party 2

IT'S HAMMER TIME
Uther returns for a second bout of mini-game madness! Up to 8 players compete for supremacy in a series of randomly selected mini-games. Awaiting the seasoned party enthusiast are new styles of play such as Emcee Mode, which gives the party host the ability to customize the mini-game roster with options for stock matches, increased difficulty, and various other altercations, as well as two new varieties of mini-game that compliment the rank and file that is the free-for-all collection. With a growing list of mini-games and game modes, and a level of polish and variety that is set to easily dwarf its predecessor, even the forces of evil can agree that Uther Party 2 is not to be missed.

Full accreditation and other information can be found in the in-game documentation.

FEATURES:
- 20 mini-games
- 2 modes of play
- Full computer AI support

VERSION 0.4d:
- Added 5 new mini-games.
- Team Battle mini-games are now available.
- Created a brief opening cinematic to christen each game.
- Added a kill tally to the game interface for flavor.
- Classic Mode now grants full authority to the victor as featured in Emcee Mode. In turn, Emcee Mode itself has been lengthened to 8 mini-games.
- Emcee Mode now features a random switch that similarly filters out previously played mini-games, and also randomizes the mini-game options.
- Sudden Death mechanics have been added to Classic Mode to properly resolve tied results.
- In Hungry Hungry Felhounds, the option to play with Blink is now available through Emcee Mode.
- In Dimensional Dementia, crucial revisions have been made. Players now start in random areas, and all zones of safety have been removed. In addition, the option to play with two sawblades is now available through Emcee Mode.
- In Tomb of Retinus, players can now jab at one another.
- In Hammer Ball, the mechanics have been reworked such that the last person to strike the ball now claims control and becomes immune until it is next struck. In addition, a new arena called Purgatory is now available.
- In Target Range (formerly Target Practice), players now simultaneously aim for a moving target, and can fire as many arrows as they see fit. In addition, the option to play with a smaller target is now available through Emcee Mode.
- In Archimonde Says, the play area has been shrunk down to make everything readily visible.
- In Way of the Shepherd, the fate of trapped players has been revised to be more sadistic.
- In Clockwerk Calamity, a new arena called the Byway is now available, and the Crossroads arena has been modified to be more distinguished.
- Performed miscellaneous tweaks to various details.
- Fixed a few bugs caused by leaving players.
- Fixed a rare crash in Hammer Ball.
- Fixed an issue that was disrupting Information menu navigation throughout each session.
- Fixed an issue with the Flaming Seal, such that it no longer impedes player chat.
- Fixed a minor display issue for observers during One Against All mini-games.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Uther2.jpg (39.3 KB, 1183 views)
Attached Files
File Type: w3x UtherParty2v0.4d.w3x (140.8 KB, 2834 views)

Last edited by TheZizz : 08-09-2008 at 09:32 PM.
TheZizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 04-05-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
Salbrismind
User

Salbrismind is on a distinguished road (16)

Send a message via Yahoo to Salbrismind

Are you the creator of the first? Uther's Party is one of my most favourite games right now! Man, I can't wait to try this.
Can i host this on the battle.net?
I think the moderators will tell you to make your submission more detailed, just a heads up!

Last edited by Salbrismind : 04-05-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Salbrismind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
TheZizz
User

Submissions (1)

TheZizz will become famous soon enough (32)TheZizz will become famous soon enough (32)

Okay, I'll pad it up.

And yes to everything you said.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #4
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Hey Zizz, awesome to hear you submitting it. The original was freakin' sweet stuff, but I haven't tried the new one yet! I'm glad you got around to submitting it though, if your trend of quality is any indication I trust this won't have trouble getting accepted at all.

Oh and yes, try to include as much information as possible in your first post. The more you provide, the better it is.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:42 PM   #5
Salbrismind
User

Well I tried it single player and I have to say it is very well done.

- Incredible A.I, it out did me at nearly every game.
- Very unique and interesting and sometimes challenging games
- I like the lack of games that require little to no skill but only the luck of that game. The original had too many of these kinds, but from what I've seen all of these very well thought out.
- I like how you can customize games and pick games from the all v one category (even though there is only one)
- The games flow and work very well.
- The game starts fast, there is no watching that stupid cinematic over and over.

Dislikes/Problems:

- I miss so many of the old games from the original, what happened to them all?
- I'm guessing this is only the starting version, I hope there will be more unique games to come, All v One needs more of course.
- The game with the beats seemed hard to understand at first, and really doesn't seem to be that fun. I'm not sure if I did it right, but all you do is press z every second? Maybe you should change up the beat a bit.
- The exploding mysterious box seemed like a dumb thing to use, why not a bomb?
- The A.I always picks the beat game when it wins... Maybe make it randomize?
- I don't think I saw random option when you select games.

Incredible game, can't wait to see more of this!

Is your clan the same that made Hungry Felhounds? Just wondering about the mini-game and why it's there...

Last edited by Salbrismind : 04-05-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Salbrismind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:47 PM   #6
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salbrismind
Is your clan the same that made Hungry Felhounds?
Zizz is actually the maker of Hungry, Hungry Felhounds. :p
Old 04-05-2008, 09:59 PM   #7
TopWolf
User

Official Map Reviewer

TopWolf will become famous soon enough (36)TopWolf will become famous soon enough (36)

I suppose I'll start with my critques and suggestions.

The game seemed void of that certain high tension fun that I was expecting. I think more sounds and visuals might fix this up a lot. I'm not sure what to say, just that something didnt feel right. I think in a lot of the stages just adding a few doodads would be sufficient for the visual aspect, and for that kind of fun, I think what a lot of it may have been in the original was the fun of beating your opponents, ie shooting something at them, rather than watching some computer-controlled wolf maul them to their death.

We played 14 of the games I believe.
-Hammerball wasnt much fun. That would primarily be due, I think, to the difficulty aiming and the inability to tell when the ball would kill you. Somebody suggested that you make the arena continuously shrink, similar to "The Weapon" but I think there are better ways to edit the game (though that really isnt a bad idea).
-In "Dance of the Darkspear" I didnt understand what to do. Others did however (apparently).
-In HHF, the Felhound went out of bounds and we couldnt see it temporairly.
-I question the greatness of the Archer minigame, it seems to have more potential. I think it would probably be more fun if we actively competed against one another, rather than taking turns.
-Demolition Dwarf I believed displayed "The Weapon" as the name of the game. I think the game might be better if there was some way to fakeout opponents.
-In Dimensional Dementia, I believe the player with the key can simply wait until time is near up before entering the portal and creating a new key.
-In a lot of the games I find it weird how you can die, but the goal is to outdo your opponent in some way. I feel it would be better to induce some penalty other than elimination if a player screws up, rather than just death.

On the plus sides, I love the new floating text thing that you have, with the letters blowing up and shriking rapidly. Also, despite all of the things I noted, do know I enjoyed it.

PS: I want more games to enjoy.
TopWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:51 PM   #8
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

Tried the game in single player. This is the first time I actually play Uther Party.

AI is great. The map is fun.

Though a lot of times I wished it took a couple of seconds to explain what you are supposed to do. For example, the game with the mechanical goblins, by the time I noticed I had to use qwer, I was already gone.

A couple of games were very fun, demolition dwarves and the hungry felhound one, the AI there was awesome. Third place would be the lizards one. I had issues with Archimonde says, initially the camera does not position in a way that Archimonde's orders are visible, so for many attempts I just failed absurdly there.

The AI for dimensional dementia seems to always stay immobile once it owns the last draenie, always ends in fail.

The bad news: Hammer ball crashes, it crashed almost instantly after the game started.

So

Precondition to get my approval
Fix the crash and what I think is a bug in the dimensional dementia AI.

Suggestions:
Be more detailed on what to do, can just make the explanations toggleable so people that know the games don't have to see them.

Pan the camera in Archimonde says so you can actually see what he says.

In case only AI players remain in a round add a way to skip it, so it just assigns places to the computer players, could be random or based in their current performance.

Quote:
It's a metaphor.
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Vexorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:10 PM   #9
TheZizz
User

Submissions (1)

Thanks guys.

Quote:
- The game starts fast, there is no watching that stupid cinematic over and over.

I'm actually planning to have cinematics in much the same vein as the original. Despite their extreme brevity though, I'll probably make them "majority-rules" skippable.

Quote:
- I miss so many of the old games from the original, what happened to them all?
- I'm guessing this is only the starting version, I hope there will be more unique games to come, All v One needs more of course.
- The game with the beats seemed hard to understand at first, and really doesn't seem to be that fun. I'm not sure if I did it right, but all you do is press z every second? Maybe you should change up the beat a bit.
- The A.I always picks the beat game when it wins... Maybe make it randomize?
- I don't think I saw random option when you select games.

- I decided early on to focus on differentiating Uther Party 2, instead of making a "just plain better" game. As such, most of the old mini-games are staying in their rightful place (although I'm certainly not against reevaluating old concepts if I feel they can be significantly improved).
- Starting version, yes...
- You press Z about twice a second, to the beat. Each player is measured on their ability to maintain a consistent interval between beats. Under a typical connection where command delay is fairly consistent, the game works despite standard Battle.net lag. Changing the beat mid-game would compromise this.
- The idea with The Mystery Box is that dwarven excavators have unearthed some strange object of unknown origin, and argue over who has to open it.
- In Free Play, the AI's picks are 100% random. I may have him refrain from picking doubles in the future. Also, I may make a random button for players.

As for TW, yes, I may change Hammerball and the archer game in some way.

In the dimension game, the act of picking up a key produces a new one.

EDIT: A Hammerball crash? Oi... From what you're saying it probably conflicted with a previous mini-game, especially since I've never encountered a crash in that game, ever. Double oi...

Toggleable explanations is an interesting idea.

Last edited by TheZizz : 04-05-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:13 PM   #10
Jazradel
Superuser

Submissions (1)

Jazradel has a spectacular aura about (110)Jazradel has a spectacular aura about (110)Jazradel has a spectacular aura about (110)Jazradel has a spectacular aura about (110)

Send a message via AIM to Jazradel Send a message via MSN to Jazradel

Your probably using a Multiboard already but if you aren't try adding help messages for each game in that.

Table:
Jump Map
Point System
Warcraft III Model Archive

W3 Model Archive should be available from https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cd5..._III_Resources, PM me if it doesn't work.
Jazradel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:32 AM   #11
Salbrismind
User

The A.I seemed to only pick the beat game, it was the last game played so maybe it is a bug?

The beat i think then should have some major redo, it feels very... Idk, boring and hard to understand and hard to do. I mean you need some way to tell what the beat is. The big z hoping up and down doesn't really do it.

There is also one big problem, as someone else stated, most games have very little information on how it is done. The result is that newbies can get frustrated quickly. Trying adding more information, like the archery game, the clockwork game, the felhounds game, and a few more i don't remember.

In regards to the mystery box game, I think it is an example of the kinds of games i didn't want to see in the second version. Basically players can die based off of pure randomness up until about the last 4 or so, and even then randomness is king. In some case no matter what you pick you die when your opponent gets it first. I'm not sure how to fix this... Maybe adding a larger number that counts down, and is effected by what people pick.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:54 AM   #12
Voi
User

Voi has little to show at this moment (8)

Send a message via MSN to Voi

I actually tested this map before and I have to say I like the original better. It's nice with new ideas etc, but you miss out on a lot of good games.

I think a problem with the old version was that there were too many games and you had to make filler games (read: boring) to make new. I think you should reinvent the fun games and skip the boring ones. I never liked the luck games such as the original mortar game, and I'm not too fond of the new one either, although it is better. Also I dislike a lot of games where you want to use a wc3 skill but fail to implement in a good way. For example the possesion and cloak of shadows games. Also games which promoted hiding in the corners. Most of the new games were good but I think they fall a little into the trap that old Uther Party did - they're very similar. There are of course exceptions such as the mysterious box and the elevator game. I didn't like the elevator game either, because there was no challenge. If you understood the game to begin with, it was just about going to the right elevator the fastest (least lag).
The map also crashed at the mysterious box game in one out of the two times I played it.

It sounds like I am very negative now, but I don't think I have much to say about the positive. It's a good concept and the games are nicely implemented. It's fun to play (and that's the most important thing)! I haven't tested the AI but that's really a nice addition if it works well.

As you can see on another post in the map submission forum, you inspired me to make my own minigame map (Ice Festival). I have to admit I "stole" some good concepts of Uther Party, but I have added my own ideas as well, so there are no direct clones. I do like my map better than yours but I guess that's quite natural...

Last edited by Voi : 04-06-2008 at 12:55 AM.
Voi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:57 AM   #13
Salbrismind
User

Thanks, Voi gave me room not to double post!

We played yet again, I can't get enough of Uthers!

- Archery needs something more. I know someone already said it but they are right, maybe you should make it quick like most points within one minute and you can hit whenever you want etc. That way you are forced to go quick and not aim super crazy.

- In the Deminsional game (blades and teleporting people) I'd have to say this is my most favourite mini-game from any map i've ever played. The only problem is that not only do noobs not understand but it's too easy for people to just camp and mess everyone else up. My suggestion is to have no spot where people can be always safe and to randomly place everyone around the area (all safe distance from the center. This way it takes skill all the time and you have to think on your feet.

Love this map, add more mini-games from the first! Bring back the good ones!
Old 04-06-2008, 02:00 AM   #14
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

Quote:
A Hammerball crash? Oi... From what you're saying it probably conflicted with a previous mini-game, especially since I've never encountered a crash in that game, ever. Double oi...
Now that I remember, the new beta patch autosaves replays, going to check it out.

Edit: Turns out you have to enable that option manually.
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Vexorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #15
SeasonsOfLove
A Nitpicky Map Reviewer

Official Map Reviewer

SeasonsOfLove will become famous soon enough (44)SeasonsOfLove will become famous soon enough (44)

[Quicksilver #2] - 2nd Place

Send a message via AIM to SeasonsOfLove

For obvious reasons, I am not going to test or review this map, but I'd like to give the handy SoL seal of approval to it, anyway. I haven't played it much recently, but it is definitely a lot of fun.