wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Triggers & Scripts
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: Who do you think should win this session?
Szythe [Piercing Knives] 4 9.30%
Toadcop [Stone Crusher] 11 25.58%
Anitarf [Spirit Helix] 4 9.30%
emjlr3 [Spirit Bomb] 0 0%
ADOLF [Fireball] 4 9.30%
moyack [Spear of Longinus] 4 9.30%
Alexander244 [Harmonic Berserk] 3 6.98%
TheSecretArts [Holy Empowerment] 1 2.33%
zen87 [Sky Bomber] 0 0%
Rising_Dusk [Shrapnade] 0 0%
bomber7 [Lightning Death] 1 2.33%
Here-b-Trollz [Fissure] 6 13.95%
midiway [Multi-Shoot] 2 4.65%
HINDYhat [Ptyalize] 0 0%
Fulla [Rain of Arrows] 2 4.65%
TopWolf [Moon Glaives] 0 0%
wantok [Greener Pastures] 0 0%
Pyrogasm [Flare] 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk
Default Spell Making Session #10 Voting

These are the entries for the 10th Spell Making Session in order of submission.
The entries are pretty freakin' sweet this time around, no surprise there.

Spell Making Session #10:
Entrant/Download LinkSpell NameScreenshot
SzythePiercing KnivesClick image for larger version

Name:	SzytheEntry.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	32514
ToadcopStone CrusherN/A
AnitarfSpirit HelixClick image for larger version

Name:	AnitarfEntry.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	32505
emjlr3Spirit BombClick image for larger version

Name:	EmjlrEntry.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	32508
ADOLFFireballClick image for larger version

Name:	AdolfEntry.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	32503
moyackSpear of LonginusClick image for larger version

Name:	MoyackEntry.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	32513
Alexander244Harmonic BerserkClick image for larger version

Name:	AlexEntry.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	32504
TheSecretArtsEmpowered LightClick image for larger version

Name:	TSAEntry.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	32516
zen87Sky BomberClick image for larger version

Name:	ZenEntry.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	32518
Rising_DuskShrapnadeClick image for larger version

Name:	DuskEntry.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	32507
bomber7Lightning DeathClick image for larger version

Name:	BomberEntry.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	32506
Here-b-TrollzFissureClick image for larger version

Name:	TrollzEntry.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	32515
midiwayMulti-ShootClick image for larger version

Name:	MidiEntry.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	32512
HINDYhatPtyalizeClick image for larger version

Name:	HindyEntry.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	32510
FullaRain of ArrowsClick image for larger version

Name:	FullaEntry.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	32509
TopWolfMoon GlaivesN/A
wantokGreener PasturesClick image for larger version

Name:	WantokEntry.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	32517
masda70Ninja RopeClick image for larger version

Name:	MasdaEntry.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	32511
PyrogasmFlareN/A
(Spell Making Session #10 Submission Topic)
(Spell Making Session #10 Discussion Topic)

I think I got everyone in, if I forgot someone please let me know via PM. 19 entries, which is one hell of an awesome turnout. It seems you guys are still motivated to be in on this stuff, which is great!
Nice job all who participated!
Note

If you're one of the people that didn't post a screenshot, just post it in this topic and I'll update this post accordingly.

The winner is decided by public vote because trying to go through and read each person's reasons and figure out who voted for what in text is damned near impossible. Please list your top 3 with reasons why, then vote for your favorite in the poll. Ultimately the poll decides the winner, though, so at the very least go through all of the entries before submitting your votes! The poll closes in one week from the moment this topic was made.

All Entrant's Testmaps: Spell Session 10.rar

Masda's Entry

Formal Explanation for his Disqualification:

All of the admins convened together in the sanctity that is MSN Messenger and we discussed long and hard whether or not I was justified on the disqualification of masda's entry. We came to the conclusion that it is absolutely beyond the scope of the contest for several reasons.

If you remove the fact that it latches to an owl, creates a rope, and swings you, functionally the spell reduces to being able to attack and cast spells while moving. In this sense, it is more akin to the entries necessary for the second spell session and not this one.

In addition to that, it is likely my fault that this misunderstanding occurred. I was not specific enough in the spell contest theme, and I did that because I did not want to limit users to just projectiles or just simple conic sections or whatever, I wanted them to be able to think outside of the box. However, I think that in doing so I didn't specify how big of a box we were working in, and masda simply jumped out of the box and ran off with the theme. Not that this is bad, his skill submission was absolutely phenomenal in every single regard, but I feel that for what I had in mind for the contest it does not fit.

In the future I'll try to be as specific as possible in themes so that confusion and resultant disqualification such as this is not encountered. Thank you for taking the time to read my explanation.

Best of luck to all the entrants!
Old 03-16-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
Alexander244
Now Kharyb

Submissions (1)

Alexander244 is a jewel in the rough (193)Alexander244 is a jewel in the rough (193)Alexander244 is a jewel in the rough (193)

Same number of entries as #8, nice.

Some pretty good spells in that list, might be tricky to pick a winner :)
Old 03-16-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Quote:
might be tricky to pick a winner :)
I know, right? I was thinking the same thing as I made the topic!
Old 03-16-2008, 09:33 PM   #4
Toadcop
BuranX

Submissions (4)

Toadcop is just really nice (299)Toadcop is just really nice (299)

Approved Map: TcXSpell Making Session 10 Winner

Send a message via ICQ to Toadcop

masda70 wins :P. and after my Stone Crusher and after... xD there are several interesting spell for the 3rd place as for me... so about ~4 spell are almost equal.
so anyway what i does think =) masda70's spell is most interesting, impressive for me. aka have the most fun of testing it. (to be fair from my side i don't review my spell.)
and i will NEVER forget how did you figured out 1 of the reasons than the free handle stack may be corrupted !!! :pray: +1 BEYOND GODLIKE. so gratz !
Old 03-16-2008, 11:20 PM   #5
moyack
Evil Emoticon

Respected User
Project Leader: PoC

Submissions (17)

moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)

AI Tournament #2 - 2nd PlaceHero Contest - Second place

Send a message via MSN to moyack

Holy.... shit!!! too much entries!!! I'll try to get some free time and do a review.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:21 AM   #6
TheSecretArts
Galaxy Scripter

Submissions (2)

TheSecretArts will become famous soon enough (38)TheSecretArts will become famous soon enough (38)

Send a message via AIM to TheSecretArts Send a message via MSN to TheSecretArts Send a message via Yahoo to TheSecretArts

I'm gonna have to thank you dusk for capitalizing my name right even though when I made this account I capitalized it wrong, lol.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:32 AM   #7
bomber7
User

bomber7 is on a distinguished road (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadcop
masda70 wins :P.
Hmm, I took a look at the spell.
The spell idea is... odd? Its not bad, just odd.
200+ lines of premade code (mostly PUI) I'd prefer not to attach the unit to the data. Instead attach the data to the unit. Also the use of PUI could have been optimized. Like cohadar suggested, simply call it once at the beginning of the spell then use GetUnitUserData to grab the index. The terrain collisions weren't amazing. All in all, I believe there are better spells, but this was a very nicely made spell.

Next I checked out moyack's spell. First of all, I don't believe it entirely fitted the theme. It wasn't exactly a target ability. I'd also like to say it would be a bit funner if it was a target ability. Owning my allys with my enemies was a bit annoying, but I can't complain because my spell effects allies as well. Truthfully a fun looking ability, would deffinitly be an improvement if it was targetable.

After that I looked at Szythe's spell. First off, whats up with using functions like constants? There not even constant functions. Learn how to use constant globals, its a lot faster then using [non-constant] functions. The spell looked good, but it could be better if the knives were a bit more obvious. At first I couldn't tell what was happening. Also the use of gamecache could have been avoided, but isn't really a big factor. A pleasant spell, could be improved if the graphics were enhanced. (Perhaps have two sets of knives curving in opposite directions!)

Once that was complete I looked at Toadcop's spell. I liked the effect, very nice looking. Its MUI, but the mui will only be enjoyed by the richer of us do to the high computer power requirement. Hard to balance, but still very fun to use. Theres a lot of I2S which will cause memory leaks, especially if a lot of it is unique strings. While most of it won't be unique strings (so the memory leak will be negligable) some of it will be. Very nice and clean physics. I would recommend everyone to take a look at this spell if you have a good comp. (Might as well look at mine while your at it, lol)

As my next to last spell I decided to look at Fireball by ADOLF. I'm sorry to report that the spell did not meet my hopes. The range is rather glitchy, especially if you aim far away. The description is much larger then it needs to be and doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The spell is also missing any form of adjustable constants. The spell also appears to have been obfuscated with only a few function names remaining. (Many variable names/function names are like P_w_R and all the numbers are in hex 0x00 0x0A0B) This spell still needs to be worked on.

Last edited by bomber7 : 03-17-2008 at 04:02 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:59 AM
bomber7
This message has been deleted by bomber7.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:34 AM   #8
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

Lovely. I forgot to include the code for my spell because it will most certainly be all retarded in the editor. If possible, could you stick this in the .rar file?
Attached Files
File Type: txt Flare.txt (28.1 KB, 20 views)
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:35 AM   #9
zen87
vJass maniac

Submissions (1)

zen87 has a spectacular aura about (86)zen87 has a spectacular aura about (86)zen87 has a spectacular aura about (86)

Send a message via MSN to zen87

oh lord... can we have more than one winner...
Old 03-17-2008, 12:06 PM   #10
ADOLF
User from USSR

Submissions (3)

ADOLF will become famous soon enough (36)ADOLF will become famous soon enough (36)

Send a message via ICQ to ADOLF

Quote:
The description is much larger then it needs to be and doesn't make a whole lot of sense
well, on such logic after first cast all should blow up to devils =)

Quote:
Many variable names/function names are like P_w_R and all the numbers are in hex 0x00 0x0A0B
TT, i perfectly understand in my code and all variable/function are understand to me)
though to name my code understand for general public impossible, i agree ;)

and as for me is the most important as all works, instead of as looks... (its about code)
Old 03-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #11
Toadcop
BuranX

Submissions (4)

anyway masda will win xD
Quote:
I2S which will cause memory leaks
- lol ... it's needed memory allocation. (and as you know (i think) strings are stored in a hash table so same string "can't be" (seems so) allocated twice.) the "strings leaks" story is really funny xD
Old 03-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #12
emjlr3
Rehabbing

Submissions (14)

emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)

Mapping Contest First Place

Send a message via AIM to emjlr3 Send a message via MSN to emjlr3

i do not think 1 week is enough time

even if i just judge on looks and playing testing, it may take me a few days, with my current schedule, if i take time to actually go through the code....blah who knows

anyhow, hope I get a chance to test some of these in the coming days
Old 03-17-2008, 05:49 PM   #13
Andriejj
User

Andriejj is on a distinguished road (16)

Why should masda70 win? His spell seems offtopic, at least the way he presented it. If you could damage units by "roping" on them, it would be good, but that presentation map has nothing to do with aiming. It's a freestyle fun with a rope spell. But voters seemed to look only at the flash :/

I'm not decided yet, I'll edit my post later. For now I have a Top 4: Fissure, Moon Glaive, Rain of Arrows and Piercing Knives. Now to sort them in some order...
Old 03-17-2008, 06:27 PM   #14
Toadcop
BuranX

Submissions (4)

well it's much LESS offtop than the moyack spell imho...
anyway everyone have own taste. (thats why user votings sometimes suck)
Old 03-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #15
Andriejj
User

Andriejj is on a distinguished road (16)

Spear of Longinus could have some aiming, if it was a cooldowned passive. Then you would care how you throw it with passive on. But still- there's some point in "aiming" there, you stand in such a way, that you hurt as mmany enemies as you can with the thrust.
Closed Thread