wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Triggers & Scripts
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 02:30 PM   #16
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohadar
Well all you need is a RemoveEventFromTrigger() function...
But I guess there is none.

I wonder what will Vexorian "elaborate"
- Range Enum is as fast or faster than the range event.
- We can recycle units thus we don't need dynamic triggers for damage events either.

Can't think of any other use you could give to a dynamic trigger.
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 10-03-2007, 04:06 PM   #17
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

cohadar is a jewel in the rough (246)cohadar is a jewel in the rough (246)cohadar is a jewel in the rough (246)cohadar is a jewel in the rough (246)cohadar is a jewel in the rough (246)

I totally failed to understand any of this !?
More details please.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:42 AM   #18
TheKid
User

TheKid will become famous soon enough (37)TheKid will become famous soon enough (37)

This is a relatively dead thread, but in light of unanswered queries I want to know what exactly the "synopsis" of this thread is; there hasn't really been any confirmed closure other than "you don't need it".

cohadar is explaining that he constantly creates/destroys triggers for some OnDamage thing he described, while Vexorian has said something about range enumeration... and... well I'm not really sure what he's talking about.

While I am at it, what exactly is "unit recycling". I'm sure that you can manipulate a unit after it has died in order to reserve it in gameplay (without it being removed) but the only way to really switch units back and forth would be through the use of Chaos, which isn't very effective when dealing with an enormous variety of units.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #19
tamisrah
User

tamisrah will become famous soon enough (48)tamisrah will become famous soon enough (48)

CLICK ME
In regard of this implementation what you say is true: UnitRecycling was only usefull if you use only a small variety of units at a time.
But I'd say usually you won't have a large variety of units AND a large amount of units per type (that die frequently).

A bit offtopic:
If you want diversity without different unit types: I played a lot with the skin-change trick with 'eat-tree', bonus mod and some size and tinting changes, which got me a huge army of undeads with only quite few units looking the exactly the same...
Old 07-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #20
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (884)Anitarf has a brilliant future (884)Anitarf has a brilliant future (884)Anitarf has a brilliant future (884)Anitarf has a brilliant future (884)Anitarf has a brilliant future (884)Anitarf has a brilliant future (884)Anitarf has a brilliant future (884)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Way to necro a thread... this is nearly three years old. We've had plenty of closure since then, try looking for it in newer threads.

Short version: the only cases where dynamic triggers were needed were when we lacked a generic unit event: damage detection and unit-comes-in-range-of-unit detection. The latter can easily be done by periodically enumerating units in range while the former has been "fixed" by using trigger generations rather than a trigger-per-unit setup (see any decent damage detection system). There, no more dynamic triggers needed, problem solved, thread closed.