wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > Misc. Tutorials
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 09-30-2007, 10:27 PM   #1
Argus
User

Submissions (5)

Argus will become famous soon enough (34)Argus will become famous soon enough (34)

Default Editing Cliff Skins

Cliff Skin Editing Tutorial

This is a tutorial about how to change the cliff types in wc3 to create results like this:

Zoom (requires log in)

Step 1: Creating a new map

When you choose the orginal tileset make sure it has the same cliff lines as you want. If you e.g want an Ashenvale map with the Cityscape walls do not base it on the ashenvale tileset since the ashenvale tileset uses dirt cliff and grass cliff. Prehaps you have noticed that the dirt and grass cliff have a wave form:

Zoom (requires log in)

While the walls are completly straight:

Zoom (requires log in)

The orginal cliff acts as a "model", all this tutorial shows is how to change the "skin". You don't want to get this result:

Zoom (requires log in)

So when you are e.g creating an Ashenvale map with Cityscape walls base it on the Cityscape tileset not the Ashenvale tileset since in the it uses the curved dirt cliff and curved grass cliff. If you do the result would be like the above "Bad".

Step 2: Importing the skins

Next we need to import the skin for the new cliff type. This can be done by first extracting the skins from the war3.mpq file. For this you of course need a program that can do this. There are at least 1 in the tool section here at wc3c (i think) but if you're to lazy or can't download it I have attached an zip file with all the cliff skins and the matching tiles which are also necessary (I'll get to that). Import them and change the paths. The path varies from cliff to cliff but its either: "ReplacableTextures\Cliff\Cliff0.blp" or "ReplacableTextures\Cliff\Cliff1.blp". Cliff0 is one cliff type (like dirt cliff e.g) and cliff1 an other. When you are replacing the cliffs try which one is the one you want to replace. Once you have found the right path you'll have to change the tileset. Import the tile that matches the cliff you're replacing. For example if you import the Ashenvale grass cliff to the Cityscape tileset then you should replace the dirt cliff. Then you have to import the Ashenvale grass tile and change its path to be the same as the Cityscape dirt. In the zip I'm including a .txt file that has the paths for all the tiles. But the path for the Cityscape dirt is: "TerrainArt\Cityscape\City_Dirt.blp" so you change the path of the imported grass to the above path. By now your import manager should look like this:

Zoom (requires log in)

If you do not import the tiles the cliffs will look like this:

Zoom (requires log in)

Note how the cliff is right but the we (and game) treats it like the dirt cliff it is replacing and adds the matching dirt to the base and top of the cliff. The game will always see the cliff as the orginal cliff and therefore you must replace the cliffs matching tile with the replacing cliffs one. Note that the game will still treat the Cityscape dirt as Citscape dirt even if you replace it. Mabye you have noticed that diffrent tiles reatcts differently when placed next to diffrent tiles. If you change so that Cityscape dirt looks like Ashenvale Grass and import Ashenvale grass i.e it will respond as if it was a diffrent tile and it wont "mix". A tip is to use the Icecrown Glacier tileset for "constructed" and "grass" tile combinations (Grass and Cityscape for example), since snow causes the same reaction from nearby tiles as grass.

That's the end of the tutorial. I had a problem with uploading the .rar files and therefore I had to split them into 5 diffrent ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CliffTut1Difference.jpg (166.2 KB, 493 views)
File Type: jpg CliffTut2Curved.jpg (135.4 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg CliffTut3Straight.jpg (139.6 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg CliffTut4BadGood.jpg (112.9 KB, 467 views)
File Type: jpg CliffTut5Importer.jpg (129.4 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg CliffTut6BadTiles.jpg (217.2 KB, 324 views)
Attached Files
File Type: rar Cliffs2.rar (1.50 MB, 90 views)
File Type: rar Cliffs1.rar (1.22 MB, 84 views)
File Type: rar Cliffs3.rar (1.58 MB, 46 views)
File Type: rar Cliffs4.rar (1.20 MB, 67 views)
File Type: rar Cliffs5.rar (1.69 MB, 51 views)

Last edited by Argus : 05-31-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Argus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 10-01-2007, 12:16 AM   #2
botanic
User

Submissions (2)

botanic will become famous soon enough (41)botanic will become famous soon enough (41)

Send a message via AIM to botanic

none of the attachments work
Quote:
Originally Posted by botanic
I think we established that
botanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:25 AM   #3
Argus
User

Submissions (5)

Argus will become famous soon enough (34)Argus will become famous soon enough (34)

I've fixed the screenshots (I think) but i can't upload the zip (rar actually) file for some reson. I't only 3.97 MB. I don't understand why. Can any one help?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:58 AM   #4
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

For some reason we've been having trouble with large attachments recently. Just upload the file to MegaUpload.com or something and link to it here.
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Pyrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Tools & Tutorials Moderator

Submissions (12)

PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)

Approved Map: Pitzer's Minesweeper

The TFT cliff tiles are in separate mpqs stored inside war3x.mpq.
For example V.mpq (Village), W.mpq (Lordaeron Winter), and so on.
Inside those mpqs there's always a ReplaceableTextures\Cliff\Cliff0.blp and ReplaceableTextures\Cliff\Cliff1.blp file which are the clifftextures for that tileset.

Once you add that info to your tutorial and the zip file works, there's no reason why this shouldn't be approved. Well done!
Old 10-01-2007, 04:37 PM   #6
Argus
User

Submissions (5)

Thank you but I can't find those either, could you give me the path? plz?
Old 10-01-2007, 06:51 PM   #7
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Submissions (12)

PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)

I've already told you the paths. It's just V.mpq without anything else.
You can find it stored inside war3x.mpq.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:35 PM   #8
Argus
User

Submissions (5)

Oh I get it now I'll add them and edit the post

Last edited by Argus : 10-02-2007 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:20 PM   #9
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Submissions (12)

Approved.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:57 PM   #10
Argus
User

Submissions (5)

Thank you!
Old 10-21-2007, 05:35 PM   #11
WerBackIII
User

WerBackIII has little to show at this moment (0)

There's a way to change a curved cliff to non-curved.
WerBackIII is offline   Reply With Quote