wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Art Gallery > Textures > Interface
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 08-22-2007, 11:46 AM   #1
darkwulfv
Alpha Male of Wc3c

Official Map Reviewer

Submissions (6)

darkwulfv is just really nice (270)darkwulfv is just really nice (270)

Send a message via AIM to darkwulfv
Default Wolf Packs Icons

These are all icons I've made myself for my project, Wolf Packs. Yes, they're nubish and basic, and yes, they're very pixel-artish, but I only started the other day. I'd like critique as I improve, and suggestions and how-to's on what to fix up. Assuming I don't get flamed into a hole, I'll update this area as I go. If anyone wants to offer suggestions on how an icon could be improved, please do the following to a rough degree:
  • Specify the icon.
  • Give it a 1-10 rating
  • Give your suggestion
  • Give examples of your suggestion (You suggest filters, give examples of filters)

I am currently working with GIMP, so please don't reccommend options or features from programs like Photoshop, unless they're shared with GIMP.

Chaos Barrage

My rating: 8/10
Comments: This was the first icon I made. It's undergone a lot of changes, and I think it's my best so far. Smudge was used on the tails not for color blending, but for a smeared trail sort of look. (Note: The actual icon is brighter than this by a bit, but for some reason it came out darker when I made it a Jpeg. Weird.)

Chaos Constriction

My rating: 4/10
Comments: I don't like this one much. It's got the general idea of chaotic chains, but I can't think of a way to enhance the image. It looks too basic right now. And yes, i know the vertical/horizontal chains are off-centered. I may just redo this icon at a later time.

Lightning Thrust

My rating: 6/10
Comments: This one has the idea down well enough. I'm not sure what to use to fill in the black space though, so if anyone has any suggestions, lemme know.

Please, any suggestions are well appreciated! I hope to get far better at this, so that I can actually contribute to the community.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ChaosBarrageB.jpg (2.1 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg ChaosConstriction.jpg (2.7 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg LightningThrust.jpg (5.4 KB, 148 views)
a dota like map but with unique stuff
(There was no map attached, and that was all the thread said.)
Spells I've Made

Darkwulfv's Lightning Grapple || Tritanis' Lazy Bolt

Last edited by darkwulfv : 08-22-2007 at 01:17 PM.
darkwulfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 08-22-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
Dionesiist
User

Submissions (34)

Dionesiist is just really nice (382)Dionesiist is just really nice (382)Dionesiist is just really nice (382)Dionesiist is just really nice (382)Dionesiist is just really nice (382)

The tablet isn't the fucking only thing you can use for skinning damnit! I suggest you don't use hard brushes since they don't make good tools for icons (unless these were made in paint and you have no choice) Try starting them on a bigger canvas since this is what icons are, art.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
darkwulfv
Alpha Male of Wc3c

Official Map Reviewer

Submissions (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionesiist
(unless these were made in paint and you have no choice)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
I am currently working with GIMP, so please don't reccommend options or features from programs like Photoshop, unless they're shared with GIMP.

Quote:
I suggest you don't use hard brushes since they don't make good tools for icons
You mean brushes that, rather than applying the full color, apply it in shades so it gradually builds up to the chosen color, the more you apply? If so, I'm already using that. if not, please explain what you mean.

Quote:
Try starting them on a bigger canvas since this is what icons are, art.
Well, what I do is take the base icon (with the border), and enlarge it 400% and work on it like that. It's sufficient, but I might try starting with a 128x128 icon, and just shrinking it (if I figure out how =P) down to 64x64.

Thanks for actually finding this thread though!
Spells I've Made

Last edited by darkwulfv : 08-22-2007 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
Dwarf Zealot
User

Submissions (7)

Dwarf Zealot will become famous soon enough (28)

I think he means brushes that don't have completely straight edges, so they are slightly feathered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwtenpeller
practical use is overrated.
Dwarf Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:25 PM   #5
darkwulfv
Alpha Male of Wc3c

Official Map Reviewer

Submissions (6)

Hmm... I'll look and see what GIMP has to offer me. I know I saw Fuzzy Circle brushes, but they weren't really what I wanted.
Spells I've Made

Old 08-22-2007, 05:17 PM   #6
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Step #1: Download Limewire
Step #2: Download Photoshop & Key.
Step #3: Install Photoshop.

Alternate Step #1 & 2: Ask someone who already has it to send it to you.

None of the icons have any form of shading, they have poor color choices and honestly I had no idea what any of them were until I read the description. You also failed to color inside the bloody borders! That's something you learn with crayons in kindergarten. Seriously, draw big, scale down to 64x64, then apply the borders. You can draw small if you're good at it, but most things are easier to do with larger brush strokes. Then if you need details, you can apply them with larger than 1x1 accuracy.
OD v0.10x Download

Coming soon eventually...

Personal To-Do List:
ICARUS
Aot3

WC3C Chat
Chat IP: 66.103.20.109
Earthbound 2 in English
vJass Manual

"DAMAGE_TYPE_POISON motherfucker!" ~Anitarf

Last edited by Rising_Dusk : 08-22-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Rising_Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:20 PM   #7
darkwulfv
Alpha Male of Wc3c

Official Map Reviewer

Submissions (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
You also failed to color inside the bloody borders!
All icons were colored inside the borders, they may not look it because many are close to the border.

Quote:
None of the icons have any form of shading,
I got nothin' to say to that, I have no freakin' idea HOW to.

Quote:
Seriously, draw big, scale down to 64x64,
I go the other way around. Start with a 64x64 with the borders, then scale it upwards 400% and work, so I can see everything I'm doing right up close. I'm not stupid enough to work on a 64x64 canvas, that's just plain madness. But if starting with something bigger and working downwards is better, then I'm all for it.
EDIT: I just tried working on a 320x320, to be sized down, and it was actually a crapload less detailed then a 64x64 magnified 400%.

Oh, and all 3 of those icons are older, I've changed all of them somehow at some point. I'll update them later tonight when I can.
Spells I've Made

Last edited by darkwulfv : 08-22-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:36 PM   #8
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Quote:
Start with a 64x64 with the borders, then scale it upwards 400% and work, so I can see everything I'm doing right up close.
That is why if you look carefully, you'll see blues and blacks and reds on the borders where they shouldn't be. Just trust me, you overshot the borders in quite a few spots.

Quote:
EDIT: I just tried working on a 320x320, to be sized down, and it was actually a crapload less detailed then a 64x64 magnified 400%.
If what you posted is any indication of the level of "detail" you're working with, perhaps it would be wise to work on a smaller canvas. Less room to screw up. :p
OD v0.10x Download

Coming soon eventually...

Personal To-Do List:
ICARUS
Aot3

WC3C Chat
Chat IP: 66.103.20.109
Earthbound 2 in English
vJass Manual

"DAMAGE_TYPE_POISON motherfucker!" ~Anitarf
Rising_Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:48 PM   #9
darkwulfv
Alpha Male of Wc3c

Official Map Reviewer

Submissions (6)

By "less detailed" I mean, you couldnt see individual pixels. It was completely flat color, hard edges, and no detail. Trying to make detailed work like that wasn't even worth trying.

Magnifying a 64x64 works best for me. I can magnify it 800% if that'll do anything =\

I'm not using a tablet either, which seems to make these kinds of things easier. I think i'd be doing better if I had one, but I don't have a single dollar right now that can go towards that.
Spells I've Made

Last edited by darkwulfv : 08-22-2007 at 07:12 PM.