wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > Modeling Tutorials
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 06-27-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
Whitehorn
SPOON!

Respected User

Submissions (114)

Whitehorn is a name known to all (509)Whitehorn is a name known to all (509)Whitehorn is a name known to all (509)Whitehorn is a name known to all (509)Whitehorn is a name known to all (509)

Default How to import a custom model

Models do not have a set filepath unless you wish to replace an existing model within Warcraft.

So, as per all imports, import the model as follows:

Step 1: Get The Model.
Get the model you want to implement, I am going to implement my Lich Blademaster. You decide what model to import.

Download it, and extract the files into a folder. If the model has custom skins make sure they are in .blp format.

Step 2: Open your map

Step 3: Find the import manager

Choose the Module | Import Manager command of press F12, or click the Import Manager button:

Step 4: Import the model.

To import a file choose the File|Import file... command or press Ctrl+I or click the import file button.

It will show you a typical open file dialog. Now find the .mdx model file and select it.

If you did so correctly you will be able to see the imported file listed.

Step 5: Save the map.

Step 6: Find the path of the skin(s).

If the author has not supplied the paths for any custom skins, there are a few simple tricks to find it. The easiest way is to use the Warcraft 3 Viewer. However, if the model's textures do not extract into the correct folders this method will not work. Refer to How to: Find and edit a model's textures.

Open the Wc3viewer, choose the File | Open command and navigate to your model and open it.

Choose the Current File | Show used texture names... command or press Ctrl+I.

The Current loaded textures dialog box is displayed showing you all the texture paths:

Now you need to check what textures require importing. All the custom textures should be supplied with the model download, so you can see what needs importing. refer to step 4 to import the skins (or check the Skin import tutorial for information).

Step 7: Change the path(s) of the imported textures

Go to import manager and double click the imported .blp file. Then check Use custom path and change the path to the path of the skin as shown by the Wc3viewer.

Then press the OK button.

Step 8: Save the map

Your model should now appear in game.

Trouble shooting

No Model

This happens when textures aren't loaded. Either you are missing a texture or have specified the wrong path.

Coloured mesh
If lumps of colour (red if you placed a model for player 1 - red) appear this means your textures have an alpha corruption, thus only the team colour layer of the model is showing. You need to rebuild the texture .blp.

Be excellent to each other.

Last edited by Whitehorn : 07-02-2007 at 09:02 AM.
Whitehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 07-01-2007, 09:42 PM   #2
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Tools & Tutorials Moderator

Submissions (12)

PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)

Approved Map: Pitzer's Minesweeper

Only in rare cases models do have a specific path (when a single model consists of 2 or more seperate model files, then there's one "parent" and the children would have to sit at a specific path). If that's the case you can look the path up in the "parent" model.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:01 AM   #3
Whitehorn
SPOON!

Respected User

Submissions (114)

Whitehorn is a name known to all (509)Whitehorn is a name known to all (509)Whitehorn is a name known to all (509)Whitehorn is a name known to all (509)Whitehorn is a name known to all (509)

Such models better have readmes :)

Old 07-05-2007, 06:56 AM   #4
Pheonix-IV
I want you inside me...

Submissions (17)

Pheonix-IV is a jewel in the rough (212)Pheonix-IV is a jewel in the rough (212)Pheonix-IV is a jewel in the rough (212)Pheonix-IV is a jewel in the rough (212)

Another cause for the model not appearing is a corrupted model file, which can be any one of a number of direct issues, up to and including the converter did something wierd.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:51 PM   #5
Brash
User

Brash has little to show at this moment (8)

well, i did exactly all of that with your model example and i get a checkered cube in the editor and it says it was unable to load the mdx. i've tried every file path imaginable witht he mdx. the blp is set up correctly at Textures\BladeLich.BLP

i've tried the mdx at the default path, with no path, with replacable paths of existing units.. i've even tried renaming the file.

maybe your example model is corrupted.
Brash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #6
Whitehorn
SPOON!

Respected User

Submissions (114)

Checkered box is a model problem.

The example model is shown ingame which kinda proves that it does work...

Old 07-05-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
Brash
User

well, i'm not sure. i went in game to look at it and it shows just a shadow like what you said it would if there was a texture problem but the texture is set up exactly as you typed it.

"This happens when textures aren't loaded. Either you are missing a texture or have specified the wrong path."

i used the blademaster unit and selected that model.

i opened it up in the war3viewer and it shows up fine so i guess it isn't corrupt. even the texture loads in it fine.

i imported it without changing anything (still shows same date of file modified as when you last did in 11/12/2005)

the paths currently set at:

Textures\BladeLich.BLP
war3mapImported\LichBlademaster.mdx

i've also tried it at
Textures\BladeLich.BLP
LichBlademaster.mdx

i've tried saving and reloading map to see if it somehow catches.

i would have thought something like this would be simple. i've imported many things before but never unit model yet.

edit> btw, why does this not have a portrait mdx?. shouldn't it have one to work?

o, and just thought i should mention that i just got another model to work fine using your tutorial. i tried this one instead to test: http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=85502

so maybe something really is up with your model or a step is being missed or perhaps the portrait is required. gotta be something.

Last edited by Brash : 07-05-2007 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:20 PM   #8
Whitehorn
SPOON!

Respected User

Submissions (114)

Hmm, it's mssing a texture file.
Attached Files
File Type: w3m bl.w3m (134.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: blp Green_Glow.BLP (3.1 KB, 11 views)

Old 07-05-2007, 08:28 PM   #9
Brash
User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitehorn
Hmm, it's mssing a texture file.

what the hell..

i just downloaded your map (bl.w3m) with the already inserted stuff and launched it directly into warcraft to see and it's just a shadow like that image i posted above is all he looks like.. the same problem

how is this possible????

that makes no sense at all.. the only thing i can think of is that model supports some kind of element that normal warcraft doesn't read.

i'm using the retail frozen throne and fully updated to latest version.

Last edited by Brash : 07-05-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:40 PM   #10
Whitehorn
SPOON!

Respected User

Submissions (114)

Nah, change the model path in the object editor. I didn't update that before I saved :P

Old 07-05-2007, 08:51 PM   #11
Brash
User

int he warcraft viewer the model says it needs these:

Textures\BladeLich.blp
ReplaceableTextures\TeamGlow\TeamGlow00.blp
Textures\RibbonBlur1.blp
Textures\Flame4.blp
Textures\Tornado2b.blp
Textures\GenericGlow2c.blp

which the Textures\BladeLich.blp already exists in the map. should it have those others too?
Old 07-05-2007, 09:00 PM   #12
Whitehorn
SPOON!

Respected User

Submissions (114)

No. Look at my map, it has 2 textures imported. Just change the knight's model path to the actual model imported path.. it works.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:15 PM   #13
Brash
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitehorn
No. Look at my map, it has 2 textures imported. Just change the knight's model path to the actual model imported path.. it works.

you mean the default path? i had just tried that.

let me see a real map where he is actually working.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:41 PM   #14
Whitehorn
SPOON!

Respected User

Submissions (114)

Waste your own time, not mine.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:24 AM   #15
Traxamillion
User

Traxamillion has little to show at this moment (3)

Send a message via MSN to Traxamillion
Default PLZ HELP!

HOW DO I EXTRACT FILES FROM A PREEXISTING SKIN I DOWNLOADED. WHEN I SAVE THEM THEY ARE JUST 1 FILE IT SHOWS IN IMPORT AS TEXTURE/IMAGE......PLZ HELP ME IM DESPERITE
Traxamillion is offline   Reply With Quote