wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Triggers & Scripts
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: Who do you think should win the session?
Rheias 0 0%
Rising_Dusk 2 10.00%
Toink 1 5.00%
darkwulfv 0 0%
Av3n 0 0%
zen87 0 0%
UnMi 0 0%
Cold_Phoenix 4 20.00%
Skater 0 0%
TheSecretArts 1 5.00%
wantok 0 0%
Moyack 1 5.00%
masda70 0 0%
Ammorth 0 0%
CommanderZ 1 5.00%
szythe 9 45.00%
shadowange1 0 0%
blu_da_noob 1 5.00%
zeroXD 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:12 PM   #1
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk
Default Spell Making Session #8 Voting

These are the entries for the 8th Spell Making Session in order of submission.
The entries are pretty awesome, as was expected.

Spell Making Session #8:
Entrant/Download LinkSpell NameScreenshot
RheiasEnergy DrainClick image for larger version

Name:	EnergyDrain1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	25876
Rising_DuskBluefire WardClick image for larger version

Name:	BluefireWard.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	25879
ToinkArcane PulseClick image for larger version

Name:	Arcane Pulse.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	25881
darkwulfvTwin-Blade ManaN/A
Av3nMana OrbClick image for larger version

Name:	Mana orb.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	25878
zen87Hollow VoidClick image for larger version

Name:	hollowvoid.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	25877
UnMiBlue FireClick image for larger version

Name:	Blue Fire.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	25880
Cold_PhoenixUnknownClick image for larger version

Name:	coldphoenix.png
Views:	57
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	25882
SkaterMana-FliesClick image for larger version

Name:	manaflyay3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	25883
TheSecretArtsFeedback AuraClick image for larger version

Name:	thesecretarts.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	25884
wantokMana GluttonN/A
MoyackMagic AbsorptionClick image for larger version

Name:	moyack.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	25885
masda70Mana TriangleN/A
AmmorthStorm of SortilegeClick image for larger version

Name:	Storm Of Sortilege.png
Views:	32
Size:	539.9 KB
ID:	25886
CommanderZAntimana DragonClick image for larger version

Name:	amd.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	25887
szytheMana WeaveClick image for larger version

Name:	ManaWeave.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	367.0 KB
ID:	25888
shadowange1Mana VortexClick image for larger version

Name:	Mana Vortex.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	681.1 KB
ID:	25889
blu_da_noobReality AnchorN/A
zeroXDEssence of ManaN/A
(Spell Making Session #8 Topic)

Good grief that was a lot of work getting that all together.
Hopefully I didn't forget anyone, if I did please PM me!

If you're one of the people that didn't post a screenshot, just post one in this topic and I'll update the first post accordingly.

Please post a top 3 list of which spells you like most and why you like them most. Even though the session has a poll, the poll won't decide the winner, if nobody posts good reasons. Reasons mean more than the poll.
Last day to vote and post reasons is on 06-30-2007 GMT-5.

All Entrant Testmaps: Spell Session 8.rar

Good luck, everybody!

Last edited by Rising_Dusk : 06-20-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 05-25-2007, 10:23 PM   #2
Chriz.
Vast Graphics Animator

Project Leader: WotTH

Submissions (17)

Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)Chriz. has a brilliant future (831)

Hero Contest #2 - 2nd PlaceSkinning Competetion #3 - Elementals

Holy shit that's a lot of entries.

Nice work people.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
Av3n
Roar!

Project Leader: TBR
Project Member: PoC

Submissions (7)

Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)

Hero #4 extra-official winner2008 Spell olympics - Fire - BronzeHero Contest #3 - 3rd Place

2 mbs! wow can we can vote for ourselves right?

-Av3n

Thanks to FatherTime for the sig
.:
Current ProjectsSubmissions
Power of CorruptionMy Terrain
The Black RoadMy Resources
Strikeforce
Twitter
Old 05-25-2007, 10:28 PM   #4
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

You can if you honestly think it is the best of the bunch.
Remember also that you need to post reasons.

I'm holding my vote until I'm sure of who I think did the best job.
Lots of testmaps to go through.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:43 PM   #5
moyack
Evil Emoticon

Respected User
Project Leader: PoC

Submissions (17)

moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)

AI Tournament #2 - 2nd PlaceHero Contest - Second place

Send a message via MSN to moyack

In order to make quick the evaluation, we must eliminate at once the entries which don't have screenshot ..... Just kidding :P

Seriously.... too many entries, my god!! congratulations :)

I'll try to check them and give my evaluation (at the moment I'm quite busy with the AI tournament.)
Old 05-25-2007, 10:47 PM   #6
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

I might just go through and take screenies for the people that didn't already post them.
I want everyone to have an equal chance here.

But meh, if anyone else wants to help I won't complain. xD
Old 05-25-2007, 11:41 PM   #7
HyperActive
User

Submissions (1)

HyperActive is on a distinguished road (18)

Now that's a LOT of entries! It will take time until I check them and give my vote. I must participate in the next session. ;)
Old 05-25-2007, 11:56 PM   #8
Joker
User

Joker will become famous soon enough (32)Joker will become famous soon enough (32)

Holy shit...this is gonna take a while for me to go through all of them..
Old 05-25-2007, 11:56 PM   #9
Ammorth
I blink, therefore I am.

Submissions (10)

Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)

Well good luck to all the contestants! A lot of great spells were made, and I have narrowed it down to 5 spells I like. Now to somehow narrow it down to a top 3...
Old 05-26-2007, 12:10 AM   #10
UnMi
User

Submissions (1)

UnMi is on a distinguished road (18)

God, can two spells have Rank 1 at once?
I can't decide between two =.=...
Old 05-26-2007, 04:59 AM   #11
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

Lol. Maybe it's a good thing I wasn't able to finish...

Time to go a-testing!
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:05 AM   #12
Szythe
User

Submissions (3)

Szythe has a spectacular aura about (143)

Spell Making Session 11 WinnerSmiley contest 4th and 5th place.Mapping Contest Third PlaceSpell making session 08

SC #8 Reviews:
Spell Name
Author
Total
Originality
Coding
Eyecandy
Comments
Energy DrainRheias19/306/109/104/10None of the components were particularly creative in this spell. The silence seemed to just be tacked on at the end to just make the spell more complex, however dealing damage if the enemy doesn't have enough mana is somewhat clever. The coding of the spell was very clean and efficient, except for your heavy use of gamecache. Replacing gamecache with structs would have placed this a 10. The eyecandy was poor. The only effects whatsoever were skulls above the enemy (skulls have nothing to do with draining mana), and there was no effect over time while draining his mana.
Bluefire WardRising_Dusk27/307/1010/1010/10The spell is fairly original, however the theme of a ward has been used many times before. You put a somewhat unique twist on the ward though. The coding is tight and efficient. In regard to the eyecandy, it was the exact amount needed. Adding blue text for the manaburn would have crowded the screen on this spell, and the lightning effect really tied it together.
Arcane PulseToink22/309/106/107/10The idea was thoroughly original. Sometimes as the beams passed over enemies, it would deal the base damage but fail to manaburn them. This was the cause of the reduction in the code score. Beyond this, the code looked clean and efficient, but I didn't spend much time reading over it. I felt that the special effects were far too flashy for the spell to be used in any type of Aos, or even ladder map since it tends to obscure your vision somewhat. The larger factor, however, in making this rating was the fact that the beams "jumped" every second instead of moving smoothly. Also, the red "finger of death" effect seemed out of place.
Twin-Blade Manadarkwulfv24/308/108/108/10The spell is somewhat original, however when it takes a paragraph in the tooltip to explain what the spell does, and even after that it is still a little confusing, it has become too complex. I got excited when I saw the comment in the configuration functions that putting in a period of 0 will make it instant, however upon testing it was not instant. Other than this issue, the code looked excellent as far as leaks and optimization goes, Although, I didn't like the aspect that it pauses your hero. It should have been based off of a channeling spell, and the code should have stopped the execution of the spell if the spell was stopped prematurely. As far as eyecandy goes, I liked the manaburn text, however I was apalled by the use of finger of death lightning. Another minor issue (which I will not dock points for) is that the healing of allies has red text, though red text is conventionally used for damaging affects.
Mana OrbAv3n24/307/107/1010/10This spell was basically the exact same as the Bluefire Ward, except not quite as well made. I'm not subtracting originality because there was another spell like it in the contest (Since you would have had no way to know), and instead I'm giving it the same originality as Bluefire Ward. The coding of this spell needs a lot of work. You use several wrapper functions, although that is not a big deal. You also do strange things such as:
Collapse JASS:
call AddSpecialEffectTarget(...)
    set m = GetLastCreatedEffectBJ()
instead of simply
Collapse JASS:
set m = AddSpecialEffectTarget(...)
What really turned me off to this code, however, is that you use a looping TriggerSleepAction to do the effects of the spell, which will be totally unreliable in multiplayer. Some improvements to this spell would include using a repeating timer for the timing of the effects, as well as using structs to attach the data to the timer. The eyecandy of this spell worked for me, and was the appropriate amount for the spell's effects.
Hollow Voidzen8722/308/104/1010/10This spell was somewhat original. The effects were not too hard to understand, and they were unique enough to set the spell apart. I think there might be something wrong with my WE because this map also caused me to crash on loading. I'm giving a 4/10 for now, but feel free to send me the code, or anyone can post his code who can open the map. The eyecandy of this spell was absolutely phenomenal. I don't need to elaborate on why I'm giving you a 10 for eyecandy.
Blue FireUnMi23/306/109/108/10The idea itself is not very original, the spell was basically already done in Blade.dk's Green spellpack. The coding was nearly flawless, however it wasn't perfect due to IsUnitAliveBJ being used instead of GetWidgetLife. The eyecandy was appropriate for the spell, however it didn't look very much like fire.
UnknownCold_Phoenix
Mana-FliesSkater25/3010/107/108/10Although this spell is very original, it reminds me of an old dota ability which many people would no longer remember (Pudge's flies), or choose to hate dota and don't know its spells. I have never seen a reincarnation of that idea since then (a year ago at least) so this fills a nice gap in the currently accessable spells. As for coding, I found a huge annoyance. The manaflies will burn the mana of a unit with 0 mana, even if a unit with 200 mana is standing right next to it. Also, when a unit with 0/200 mana is sitting there, the flies will keep burning it even though it has no mana to be burned. Also, you used gamecache HEAVILY, when structs would have worked tremendously better as a substitute. As for the eyecandy, the only issue I found was that the flies can get so huge that they block out everything, and all you can see on the screen is a giant green blob.
Feedback AuraTheSecretArts19/306/107/106/10This spell is not too original in the aspect that mana-draining auras have been made, however the explosion redeems some of this. Let me preface the review of the coding by saying that I have nothing against GUI. I do, however, have a lot against GUI directly converted to JASS, and not fixed. The spell is riddled with cryptic function names like "Trig_RunAuraChild_Func001A", countless BJ and wrapper functions, and the complex conditions which GUI creates. If you took the time to convert all of your triggers to JASS you should have taken the time to fix the code itself. You also use PolledWait() instead of timers. I'm giving you a 7 because it works bug-free and has no visible lag in-game, but this is the most poorly written JASS I have seen in a long time. The eyecandy is fine for what the spell is except the explosion. The tooltip mentions several orbs flying from the caster, but there are no orbs visible. The explosion also lasts so little time that you hardly notice that it happened.
Mana Gluttonwantok26/3010/1010/106/10This spell was one of the most original out of the group, and its originality grade reflects it. The coding of this spell was flawless as far as I could tell. The eyecandy was good, but a faster period than 1 second for the mana drain would have looked better (I would have ignored this problem if there was a configuration function for the period). Also, the floating text was tacky at best, and was borderline eyesore.
Magic AbsorptionMoyack21/307/104/1010/10This spell was original enough to make it have a unique spell, although "chain" spells have been way overdone. I realize however that there has never been (as far as I've seen) a channeling chain spell, so that makes it more unique. As was true for some of the other spells, I was unable to open this map with any of several editors, so the best score that I can give you is a 4/10 for being bug free. I know that you are an excellent coder Moyack, but it wouldn't be fair to just assume that the code is good. The eyecandy was concise and did not crowd the screen, while at the same time helping to visualize the effects of the spell.
Mana Trianglemasda7027/309/1010/108/10The spell is original in the way it goes about manaburning enemies. It is not always about coming up with a new effect to do on an enemy, but sometimes coming up with a new way of doing the same effect is original. There is no reason why you would make a slimmer triangle though, since you would always want to maximize the area of effect. A possible suggestion is to make the spell do more damage if the triangle has less area. The coding of this spell made my jaw drop: I have never seen structs and methods used like that, and this spell showed me a lot of the practical applications of methods that I had never realized before. I'm going to include the interactivity of this spell with the "eyecandy" sections: Selecting the ward was a major pain. The spell should have automatically selected the ward upon creation and then selected your hero again when the triangle is formed. Other than that, the art was appropriate, however I'm not too excited about having to include a custom lightning model in the spell. The custom lightning did look great though, and the import's file size is reasonably small so I won't dock points for it.
Storm of SortilegeAmmorth27/307/1010/1010/10The spell itself is somewhat original, however it seemed rather complex. It started to turn into a hodgepodge of effects when the mana absorbed deals damage again to enemies, however overall it was clever. The "ball of mana" which comes down at the end should fall exponentially, as if it was a heavy object gaining velocity due to gravity to make it look more realistic. This, of course, would be icing on the cake of a great-looking spell already.
Antimana DragonCommanderZ19/307/104/108/10Although none of the components of the spell are very original, you managed to combine them into an original spell. The downside, however, is that this turned into a sort of "hodgepodge of effects". It lacks the simplicity which most great spells have. I'm giving you a 4 for coding because I could not open the map with anything, therefor I couldn't see the code. I'm giving you those 4 points because it appeared to work without bugs, but it could have all the leaks in the world. The eyecandy was perfect, except for the splash of water when the dragon died.
Mana WeaveSzythe27/3010/107/1010/10I may have a bit of bias, but I'll try to be fair. On the topic of originality, this was without a doubt the most original spell I have ever made. I also consider it highly original as far as wc3 spells go, so I think a 10 is fair. As for coding, I really tried to figure out vJass as I went along, however there are still some subtle bugs which you probably won't find if you just test the spell once or twice. If a new weave is created while an old one is expiring, the indexes of the segments will get knocked off, making it so half of the old one is still there, and half of the new one is missing. Also, if there are any more than about 12 threads in play at any time, there is noticable lag when casting the spell. That said, I believe I tried to pull off one of the most advanced spells to trigger that could be come up with. As far as eyecandy goes, I loved how the stacking manaburn target art turned out, and I felt that the whole color theme of the spell fit together nicely.
Mana Vortexshadowange123/307/108/108/10I liked the feel of this spell, although the "deals damage over times to units inbetween the caster and the target" part was a little over the top. This spell was simple, yet effective and somewhat original. I felt that the originality of the spell was similar to that of Bluefire Ward; so I gave it a similar score. As far as coding goes, GUI is fine, and you properly clean all of your leaks with custom scripts. There were also no apparent bugs. The spell, however, is not multi-instanceable, and it completely breaks when there are multiple units casting it at once. The eyecandy was a little over the top; there was no need for the blink effect on that targets whom you are draining mana from. Also, the projectile which was fired when the mana-draining was complete was very hard to see, and it should have had a different model.
Reality Anchorblu_da_noob27/309/1010/108/10This spell was similar to other spells made, but it had some unique aspects (such as making the amount burned depend on the distance from the origin). I also liked the additional damage dealt if the target leaves the area of runs out of mana. I would expect nothing less than perfect coding from you Blu, and you delivered once again. There were two things wrong with the eyecandy of this spell. First (as you already know) the projectiles which return to the target are not locust. The second thing which I did not like was that when the projectiles returning to the target impact the target, they do not burn mana (which is fine), but they do play the feedback effect on the target, implying that they are supposed to drain mana.
Essence of ManazeroXD27/3010/108/109/10This spell was completely original, and you came up with an ingenious way to put a spin on a summon spell. The coding of this spell is solid, although several things could be improved. First, you use gamecache HEAVILY, where it could easily replaced with structs. Although this might not seem like a large optimization, it would severely help with lag if there are several of these spells being cast at once. Additionally, I notice that you are creating triggers dynamically when the spell begins to cast. This can be dangerous unless done properly. First, note that triggeractions can not be destroyed, but conditions can. You should put the action code within the conditions, and just add a condition. Also, you forgot to remove the condition before destroying the trigger. As for eyecandy, it would look much better if the wisp being summoned was unselectable, and then upon completion it was replaced with a selectable wisp. The special effects were sparse, but then again it is very hard to include a lot of effects with a summoning spell without it just getting annoying.

More to come as I get more time...
Originality/Coding/Eyecandy are just the criteria I'm using, you are in no way inclined to use the same criteria

Also, PM me if you want the code for the table to easily make your own reviews. It took a lot of time to make.

Last edited by Szythe : 06-23-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:24 AM   #13
Szythe
User

Submissions (3)

Szythe has a spectacular aura about (143)

Spell Making Session 11 WinnerSmiley contest 4th and 5th place.Mapping Contest Third PlaceSpell making session 08

Delete this please...I may have clicked one too many times as the site was crashing....

Last edited by Szythe : 05-26-2007 at 05:25 AM.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:21 AM   #14
Ammorth
I blink, therefore I am.

Submissions (10)

Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)

Wow Szythe! You are really getting into this!

I don't think I'm going to review them all in-depth, only my top 3, to decide a first, second and third. My criteria is about the same though: visual, coding, original, practical.

I'll release my top 3 (excluding my own, of course), but still won't decide on which is the highest yet (need some sleep so I can dissect the code).

Mana Weave
Mana Triangle
Hollow Void

Disclaimer: These can change without notice since I am extremely tired right now.

PS: 90% is a decent score IMO. Never thought of the exponential fall; will think of adding it before I submit it as a resource.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:13 PM   #15
Joker
User

Joker will become famous soon enough (32)Joker will become famous soon enough (32)

Your gonna need to redo this since the forum was down for the whole contest
Closed Thread