wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > Modeling Tutorials
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 04-28-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
Born清odificate
Fear the bananamonster!

Respected User

Submissions (26)

Born清odificate is just really nice (317)Born清odificate is just really nice (317)Born清odificate is just really nice (317)

Send a message via ICQ to Born清odificate Send a message via AIM to Born清odificate
Information Creating a realtexture plant [example: syringa]

Creating a realtexture plant [example: syringa]

Hello everybody,
this tutorial is meant to help you to learn creating a model with realtextures, and i hope after submitting this some more people will change their style from comicstyle to realstyle.
This tutorial isn't a beginners tutorial, and i won't explain every single step in detail, i expect that you have already basic knowledge of using Photoshop and 3d studio max. Also it's not the only way to create a realtexture model, but i think it's at least a good inspiration.

Requirements:

Skills:
As i already mentioned you need to have some basic knowledge means you should know how to:
  1. Cast a frost nova (No, actually you don't need to do that, but it would be cool, wouldn't it? :) )
  2. Edit a mesh in 3d Studio Max, unwrap it etc..
  3. Basics of Photoshop (or the programm you use), means how to create an alphachannel, how to use the erase pencil and so on

Tools:
  1. 3d Studio Max 4/5
  2. Photoshop or another image editing tool that supports Alphachannels
  3. A tool that converts *.blp files to *.tga files. (For exampe Image Extractor II, Magos Model editor or Warcraft 3 Viewer)
  4. [optional]Access to a searchingservice (google)

The Concept

Well, in this tutorial we want to model a syringa plant, and we will use the billboarding technique for the leaves.
In the end it will look like that:

Zoom (requires log in)

Because it's a plant we can make first the texture and THEN the model itself. Some might think it's better to make first the model and then unwrap it and give it a texture that 100% fits to it and in case you make a humanoid model or a creature this might be right but in this case it's better this way, because of the simplicity and the shape of the model. The only thing you need is a good well structured texture. Before you go on you should search the web and look at a few pictures of a syringa. You should look for a picture that shows the whole plant, not only a few branches or the blooms, so that you get an idea of the structure. This is your reference picture you should keep in mind. This is important when you want to make the model look realistic.
An example for a good reference picture: http://www.plantyfolia.com/photos91-...lemoineens.jpg

In opposite to the reference picture it is important for the texture pictures that their size is big enough and that they show at least one of the needed parts (leaves, branches, blooms).
An example for a good texture picture:
http://www.redwoodbarn.com/images/syringaprpl2.jpg

Finding a good picture to make a texture of is sometimes quite difficult.
But there is nearly always a way to get a picture you can use for a texture.
At first you can search in some open source picture archives. Some good examples are:

http://mayang.com/textures/
http://textures.dmsdesigns.ca/
http://www.afflict.net/option_1/option_1.htm
http://www.bencloward.com/resources_textures.shtml
http://www.planit3d.com/source/textu...s/textures.htm
http://www.strangefate.com/textures/sf.html
http://www.escrappers.com/textures.html
http://www.animax.it/animax/Textures.htm

Another way to get a texture is google. The textures for the syringa we use is also found by google. ;)
If you want to find a good picture you can make a texture of, you sometimes need to search a bit. At first of course you enter the name of the object you want to model, "syringa" in this case. If you cannot find any good results try it with the dictonary and search after it in different languages, think of synonyms you can use or try it with the Latin name (by plants).

The best method of course is to use your digicam. ;)

For this tutorial i will give you this two pictures:

DOWNLOAD

Create the Texture:

Now that you know where to get a texture we will start with the texture.
Open Photoshop (or something else), open the two pictures and create a new 512簡 image with a colored background where you can see easily the different parts of the texture (i chosed black).

Zoom (requires log in)

Use a selection tool (personally i like the polygonal selection tool best) to extract a few leaves that look fine for billboarding and copy it into your 512簡 picture. Every time you do this, photoshop will create a new layer.

Zoom (requires log in)

Now erase the uneeded parts of the leaves that are not needed (the rest of the background for example) either with selection and deleting or with the erase pencil.
After you have done this chose another region of leaves in the texturepicture and repeat the whole procedure.

Zoom (requires log in)

Zoom (requires log in)

Now do the same with the blooms and the branches! Maybe you can resize them a bit.

Zoom (requires log in)

After you have enough material we beginn alpha channeling.
Chose layer one( the leaves you first copied into the picture).
Use the magic selection tool, set the tolerance to a rather high value (i used 60) and click on the black background.
The selection will select everything except of your leaves.
Now use "reverse selection" and only the plant will be selected.

Zoom (requires log in)

Now switch to the channel menu and create a new alpha channel.

Zoom (requires log in)

Use the pencil and make the selected are white.

Zoom (requires log in)

Repeat that procedure with every single layer (branches, blooms etc...) until every layer can be seen in the alpha channel.
When you're finish the result should look more or less like this:

Zoom (requires log in)

Now save the texture as an 32-bit *.tga file, close it, and open it again.
Resize it to the half (256*256), use the sharpen tool and save it as "name"_mip1. Repeat that 3 times so that you have 4 mip maps:

"name"_mip1.tga
"name"_mip2.tga
"name"_mip3.tga
"name"_mip4.tga

Zoom (requires log in)

Mip mapping is a sort of antialising warcraft III uses and because the mipmaps warcraft creates while the game runs are bad we create our own ones to prevent that the model will look blurry and yellowish.

Create the Model:

Now that we have our texture we will start 3d Studio Max a beginn with a 3 sided cylinder with 2 segments.

Zoom (requires log in)

Edit the mesh so that it looks like a big branch, copy the object a few times and modifiy them and then give them the texture of the branches.

Zoom (requires log in)

Now create a plane put the texture of the smaller branches on it, copy it a few times and make a few variations. Now spread those plane branches over the whole tree.
Zoom (requires log in)

Now create a plane and give it the same hight and length params. The plane only need 1x1 segments. Give it the X-rotation -90,0. (This is needed for right billboarding) Now open the User Property Editor and give it full billboarding. Then give it the leaves texture, copy it, and give the copy the other leave texture so that you have 2 different variations.

Zoom (requires log in)

Now copy the billboarded planes and spread them around.

Zoom (requires log in)

The last step are the blooms. Make a new plane, give it the Bloom texture and them copy it by pressing shift and rotating it around the axis of the other plane. After you have done that, create a second variation and spread those around the tree again. Now the syringe tree should be done. :)

Zoom (requires log in)

I attached my syringa as an example so that you can look at it if you're not shure whether you did something wrong.

*.Max scene and *.tga files:

DOWNLOAD

Born簡Modificate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Step1_zyl.jpg (160.1 KB, 902 views)
File Type: jpg Step2_branches.jpg (216.5 KB, 866 views)
File Type: jpg Step5_spreadleaves.jpg (248.0 KB, 822 views)
File Type: jpg Step6_spreadblooms.jpg (180.2 KB, 997 views)
File Type: jpg Texture_finish.jpg (90.1 KB, 844 views)
File Type: jpg Step4_Createleavesplane.jpg (195.4 KB, 800 views)
File Type: jpg Step6_mipmaps.jpg (184.6 KB, 791 views)
File Type: jpg Step5_Alpha1.jpg (188.8 KB, 855 views)
File Type: jpg Step5_Alpha2.jpg (132.2 KB, 806 views)
File Type: jpg Step5_Alpha3.jpg (133.6 KB, 783 views)
File Type: jpg Step4_Edit_bloom.jpg (181.1 KB, 865 views)
File Type: jpg Step1.jpg (213.9 KB, 1018 views)
File Type: jpg Step2.jpg (192.6 KB, 976 views)
File Type: jpg Step3_erase_rubber.jpg (173.5 KB, 947 views)
File Type: jpg Step3_erase_select.jpg (164.5 KB, 889 views)
File Type: jpg Finishedplant.jpg (76.2 KB, 1200 views)
File Type: jpg Step3_planebranches.jpg (69.9 KB, 853 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Syringapics.zip (182.4 KB, 88 views)
File Type: zip Syringa.zip (276.9 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by Born清odificate : 04-28-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Born清odificate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 04-28-2007, 05:48 PM   #2
Born清odificate
Fear the bananamonster!

Respected User

Submissions (26)

Born清odificate is just really nice (317)Born清odificate is just really nice (317)Born清odificate is just really nice (317)

Send a message via ICQ to Born清odificate Send a message via AIM to Born清odificate

Well... uh... id like to know your opinion and whether it'll be approved and so on..
Old 04-28-2007, 07:11 PM   #3
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Tools & Tutorials Moderator

Submissions (12)

PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)

Approved Map: Pitzer's Minesweeper

*Approveled*
Old 04-30-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
Pyritie
Doesn't come here often

Submissions (9)

Pyritie will become famous soon enough (47)Pyritie will become famous soon enough (47)

Send a message via MSN to Pyritie

Personally, I suck at modelling, but this is a very useful tutorial for people who want to get away from that whole... cartoony... style of wc3. Like your doodad pack :D.

+rep
Pyritie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:49 PM   #5
Meai
User

Submissions (3)

Meai has little to show at this moment (1)

I really pondered for a long time how to do this. Thank you for sharing ur knowledge
Meai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:56 PM   #6
TheSecretArts
Galaxy Scripter

Submissions (2)

TheSecretArts will become famous soon enough (38)TheSecretArts will become famous soon enough (38)

Send a message via AIM to TheSecretArts Send a message via MSN to TheSecretArts Send a message via Yahoo to TheSecretArts

gj man! Not much of a modeler but you really helped.
TheSecretArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
Born清odificate
Fear the bananamonster!

Respected User

Submissions (26)

Thank you very much, i hope to see some more people making realtexture models soon. :)
Old 07-02-2007, 07:27 PM   #8
Zapp90
User

Submissions (6)

Zapp90 will become famous soon enough (34)Zapp90 will become famous soon enough (34)

Clean tutorial. Nothing really I learned from it, I think, but it's really useful for many people.
Zapp90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:34 PM   #9
Oglog
User

Submissions (1)

Oglog has little to show at this moment (9)

Send a message via MSN to Oglog

Nice tutorial although most of us don't have 3dsmax (u know the whole not having $x000 lying about)
Ill try to do this with gmax and milkshape :).
Well thanks for sharing your knowledge .
Old 05-15-2008, 02:41 PM   #10
AirHead
User

Submissions (2)

AirHead has little to show at this moment (3)

thanks this is great i wanted to learn how to do this and thanks to you now i know i really first saw this in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and ever since i wanted to do it in WC3 so YAY now i know how. thanks alot.
AirHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
abriko
User

Submissions (22)

abriko is a jewel in the rough (159)abriko is a jewel in the rough (159)

Really nice tuto, man, high quality.