wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > General Mapping Tutorials
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 07-29-2006, 12:33 AM   #1
Archian
Dark & Ominous

Project Leader: LoC

Submissions (27)

Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)

Default Multiple Shot

Multiple Shot/Attack
By Archian

I have just been asked how to make a unit shot off multiple projectiles at several targets.
So i decided to make a quick tutorial about it.

Introduction:
Have you ever wanted a unit, like an archer, to shoot off multiple arrows at a time?
Well, here's a simple way how to do it without useing any triggers or the like.

Step 1:
Create a new custom ability in the object editor, based on the human ability Barrage.

Step 2:
In order to make the new ability work properly for your unit.
Adjust the field value Stats - Area of Effect to the same as the unit's Combat - Attack 1 - Range.
Do the same with Combat - Attack 1 - Projectile Speed and Combat - Attack 1 - Projectile Arc.
Note, here it's for the attack 1.

Step 3:
Set the field Data - Damage Per Target of the ability to the damage you wish the unit to deal.
The field Data - Maximum Total Damage should be the maximum damage the unit deals.

Step 4:
Remove all requirements from the Techtree - Requirements.

Step 5:
Give the ability to your unit(s).

Note:
~The minimum number of targets is 3, since the ability, the units' normal attack, and the Data - Damage Per Target itself adds 1 additional target.
~This ability works automatically since it's a passive ability (constant effect).
~Adjust the field Stats - Hero Ability to True in order to make the ability work for a hero.

A little preview attached..
Click image for larger version

Name:	multipleshotimage.jpg
Views:	1168
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	10041

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcraft III Ability Guide
Unfortunately combining barrage with other attack enhancing abilities is pretty difficult. Many of them will completely eliminate the effect of barrage like all arrow abilities on autocast except AHfa (Searing Arrows) and many orb abilities. Orb abilities that do have an effect ability field only disable barrage when this effect ability comes into action. All other abilities like critical strike slow poison, freezing breath, lightning attack, liquid fire and similar spells pretty much work with barrage but will always only affect the main target and never the additional barrage targets. Basic enhancements like damage bonus, attack speed bonus and the like however will affect all targets. The AHfa (Searing Arrows) spell is very special. It's the only arrow ability that works with barrage and it even reenables barrage on autocast if it was disabled by an incompatible orb ability allowing to create an autocastable multishot ability.

- Multiple Melee Attack -
Note, you could adjust the multiple shot to work as if it was for melee attacks, but for melee attacks you should base the ability on the neutral hostile Cleaving Attack if you want it for normal units, for heroes, just base the ability on the hero pit lord's Cleaving Attack.

Side Note:
The ability strikes through to enemies near the primary attacked unit (multiple attack).

The only thing you really need to change is:
Art - Special ~ For the effect.
Art - Icon - Normal ~ For the icon.
Data - Distributed Damage Factor ~ Damage.
Stats - Area of Effect ~ Range.

Click image for larger version

Name:	multipleattackmelee.jpg
Views:	881
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	10118
(Note, in this example im useing a blood effect)

Last edited by Archian : 07-30-2006 at 07:10 PM.
Archian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 07-29-2006, 12:43 AM   #2
moyack
Evil Emoticon

Respected User
Project Leader: PoC

Submissions (17)

moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)

AI Tournament #2 - 2nd PlaceHero Contest - Second place

Send a message via MSN to moyack

Just one question: This ability only works with ranged attacks?? could it be applied in melee attacks??
moyack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:47 AM   #3
Archian
Dark & Ominous

Submissions (27)

Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)

Yes, it could be used for that aswell i belive. But for melee attacks i would recommend Cleaving Attack.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
ragingspeedhorn
I MUST BREAK YOU

Official Map Reviewer

Submissions (10)

ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)

Approved Map: Dodge The Wisp Wheels

Send a message via MSN to ragingspeedhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archian
Yes, it could be used for that aswell i belive. But for melee attacks i would recommend Cleaving Attack.

I suggest you should combine it then so this both explains melee and ranged

Otherwise a fine tutorial, I miss some pictures though
Old 07-30-2006, 12:51 AM   #5
Archian
Dark & Ominous

Submissions (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingspeedhorn
I suggest you should combine it then so this both explains melee and ranged

Otherwise a fine tutorial, I miss some pictures though
I've been thinking of doing that.
However, about the images, there's already one.
Do you want me to upload images of the field values?
Old 07-30-2006, 01:28 AM   #6
ragingspeedhorn
I MUST BREAK YOU

Official Map Reviewer

Submissions (10)

ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)

Approved Map: Dodge The Wisp Wheels

Send a message via MSN to ragingspeedhorn

Yeah maybe the fields you need to edit cutted out with a red ring around them or something :P
Old 07-30-2006, 08:57 AM   #7
Archian
Dark & Ominous

Submissions (27)

Okay, added cleaving attack to the tutorial.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:41 AM   #8
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Tools & Tutorials Moderator

Submissions (12)

PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)

Approved Map: Pitzer's Minesweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcraft III Ability Guide
Unfortunately combining barrage with other attack enhancing abilities is pretty difficult. Many of them will completely eliminate the effect of barrage like all arrow abilities on autocast except AHfa (Searing Arrows) and many orb abilities. Orb abilities that do have an effect ability field only disable barrage when this effect ability comes into action. All other abilities like critical strike slow poison, freezing breath, lightning attack, liquid fire and similar spells pretty much work with barrage but will always only affect the main target and never the additional barrage targets. Basic enhancements like damage bonus, attack speed bonus and the like however will affect all targets. The AHfa (Searing Arrows) spell is very special. It's the only arrow ability that works with barrage and it even reenables barrage on autocast if it was disabled by an incompatible orb ability allowing to create an autocastable multishot ability.

I think the info about incompatible orb/arrow abilities should be added to the tutorial too.
Especially the part about Searing Arrows that allows you to create autocastable multishot.

Other than that I like the tutorial, can be approved after the above-mentioned is added.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:52 AM   #9
Archian
Dark & Ominous

Submissions (27)

Okay i added the "above-mentioned" :P
Just copy-pasted it, if that's okay?
Old 07-31-2006, 10:44 PM   #10
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Tools & Tutorials Moderator

Submissions (12)

PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)

Approved Map: Pitzer's Minesweeper

Approved.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:53 PM   #11
Fulla
Evil Overlord

Submissions (3)

Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)

Ah great, unfortunetly for me this is an arc/multishot type.

IF you ever feel like writing another tutorial one of firing multiple projectiles in a single line would be awesome.

Anyways very good tutorial, easy to understand.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:18 PM   #12
Pisces
User

Pisces has little to show at this moment (0)

can the damage be done in % ?
making the multi shots do like 50% of the heroes damage?
how is that possible?

Like the hero Gorgen from dota whit split shot..

Last edited by Pisces : 08-03-2006 at 06:27 PM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:23 AM   #13
Archian
Dark & Ominous

Submissions (27)

I don't know the hero Gorgen from Dota's ability, but you can find a unprotected dota map here.
However i can see that the latest update was on Nov-26-05, dont know if the ablity you're talking about is included, but you could have a look..
Old 08-04-2006, 12:59 PM   #14
Pisces
User

Pisces has little to show at this moment (0)

Thank you for the link, but the hero is not in that version.
Anyway good job whit this tutorial, just what i was looking 4 :)
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:42 AM   #15
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tutorial
Step 3:
Set the field Data - Damage Per Target of the ability to the damage you wish the unit to deal.
The field Data - Maximum Total Damage should be the maximum damage the unit deals.
This appears not to be the best solution. You can just set the total damage to 0 and it will deal damage based on the attacking unit's damage, as stated in this post in this thread.
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Pyrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote