wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Resources > Code Resources > Samples
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 03-23-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
Waldbaer
Dragonblood Creator

Submissions (3)

Waldbaer will become famous soon enough (37)Waldbaer will become famous soon enough (37)

Default Dragonblood Creation's Camera System

Hello!
This System offers the following features:
- Functions for smooth acceleration and deceleration for realistic and interesting cinematography in nearly all situations.
- A fully integrated Debug System, which can help the cinematic's director to further perfectionate his camera sways, of course turnable on and off.
- Two different types of acceleration available for choice.
- English and German Tutorials, also for people new to JASS

This System's handling is, once implemented, nearly the same as you know it from GUI, so you don't need to make your whole cinematic in JASS. These aspects should be sufficient to prevent you from complaining "But Infrane & Anitarf already made a camera system".
I'm looking forward to your criticisms!

By the way, I strongly recommend to use another method than waits to time sways using this system, since inexact waits can destroy the whole effect of smooth sways. I posted a tutorial for one alternative timing method here.

Post your comments either here or in the according forum on my site. To see this system in action in a real cinematic, I suggest to visit my site and download the Isengard Beta Cinematic from my campaign. Have fun and please give credits to Waldbaer@Dragonblood Creations!

Update 3/25/07 Version 1.01: All leaks killed (the system now no longer uses any location variables internally)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CamSystem.jpg (11.7 KB, 528 views)
Attached Files
File Type: w3x DCCamSystem101.w3x (279.8 KB, 519 views)

Last edited by Waldbaer : 03-25-2007 at 10:15 PM.
Waldbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 03-23-2007, 11:29 PM   #2
Toadcop
BuranX

Submissions (4)

Toadcop is just really nice (299)Toadcop is just really nice (299)

Approved Map: TcXSpell Making Session 10 Winner

Send a message via ICQ to Toadcop

well looks interesting... but it's pain me to say... it's not really good enought why ? you don't correct camera Z so it's not really acurate. but in whole from
1 to 5 it's a good 4 !

PS i don't like than threads are empty ;) and it's make my sad. i give you some rep + ;) !
Toadcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:38 PM   #3
Waldbaer
Dragonblood Creator

Submissions (3)

Waldbaer will become famous soon enough (37)Waldbaer will become famous soon enough (37)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadcop
well looks interesting... but it's pain me to say... it's not really good enought why ? you don't correct camera Z so it's not really acurate.
Of course I do... at least I think so but I'm not 100% sure about what you mean. I have Z-Offset just as a normal Camera aspect with all smooth abilities and for FarZ, I thought smooth acceleration was just a waste of performance because you don't feel a change as a break anyways. That's why I do it just normal like every WE "Apply Camera" does it, too. Did you mean something else? Then please explain it a little bit more in detail to me.
BTW thanks for comment & reputation!

Last edited by Waldbaer : 03-23-2007 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:00 AM   #4
Toadcop
BuranX

Submissions (4)

Toadcop is just really nice (299)Toadcop is just really nice (299)

Approved Map: TcXSpell Making Session 10 Winner

Send a message via ICQ to Toadcop

no i don't mean FarZ =) i mean the Z offset of camera to the ground !
Toadcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:14 AM   #5
Waldbaer
Dragonblood Creator

Submissions (3)

So you mean a CameraEye Z-Offset correction to prevent the camera from following the ground, right? Well, I tried that out, but it did not work the way I did it. As far as I found out, this only may be possible, if I'd do every target position change as instant apply. And this on the one hand would be quite performance-eating because it had to be done at least 30 times a second and on the other hand would limit the system at other sides (e.g. it would not allow to adjust anything smoothly while the player is scrolling, e.g. Z-Offset or Angle of Attack).
Hm, but you brought that up to my mind again... maybe I'll implement it in a way that it does the target movement either like normal scrolling (as it is now) or with instant apply to offer CameraEye Z-Offset correction. What do you think about that?

Last edited by Waldbaer : 03-24-2007 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:20 AM   #6
moyack
Evil Emoticon

Respected User
Project Leader: PoC

Submissions (17)

moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)

AI Tournament #2 - 2nd PlaceHero Contest - Second place

Send a message via MSN to moyack

Your camera system looks interesting and very useful.

It's glad to see the effort that you put in the documentation, and I congratulate you for that. Other good thing is the GUI portability which is great, everything well thought.

I've tested your system, running it in WE and it works great. The code itself is loooong to read, so I decided to make a quick test with JassNewGen pack in order to get information about possible leaks. That's what I've obtained:

Zoom (requires log in)

As you can see in the test map, the unallocated locations reach 268 in the DCCamSystem_Loop function. Probably in a cinematic this is not a big deal, but if the play is longer, that leaks can affect greatly the performance. I suggest to check this function and try to detect which of these locations are not removed. If I found something else, I'll post it.

I hope Infrane and Anitarf can put an eye on your system, it would be great to hear their comments. Keep the good work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WC3ScrnShot_032307_175647_01.jpg (98.3 KB, 622 views)

Last edited by moyack : 03-24-2007 at 12:22 AM.
moyack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:30 AM   #7
Waldbaer
Dragonblood Creator

Submissions (3)

Oh, thanks for your comment, this turned out very useful and I think I found the problem, somehow I once used "Location( x, y )" to get a location which I already had in a variable, just a simple correction. Could you check it again now (I don't have WE Helper & stuff)?
Old 03-24-2007, 12:59 AM   #8
moyack
Evil Emoticon

Respected User

Submissions (17)

moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)

Ohh yes, the system is better, but it has some other problems. Check the screenshots.

Zoom (requires log in)

Zoom (requires log in)

About the JassNewGen pack, you can download it here. It's superb!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WC3ScrnShot_032307_183611_01.jpg (61.7 KB, 585 views)
File Type: jpg WC3ScrnShot_032307_183734_03.jpg (95.1 KB, 562 views)
Old 03-24-2007, 01:05 AM   #9
Ammorth
I blink, therefore I am.

Submissions (10)

Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (461)

Soo many locations! Are they even required? Why not use X/Y coordinates? Other than that, nice system. I watched your LotR beta cinematic on your web page and it was outstanding! Good job and + rep
Old 03-24-2007, 01:20 PM   #10
olofmoleman
Baron Grunwald is.

Texturing Moderator

Submissions (106)

olofmoleman has a brilliant future (953)olofmoleman has a brilliant future (953)olofmoleman has a brilliant future (953)olofmoleman has a brilliant future (953)olofmoleman has a brilliant future (953)

Approved Map: Jurassic ExplorationSmiley contest 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.Skinning Competetion #4 - FallenSkinning Competetion #4 - Atoned

This camera movement looks so much better then the movement in the older version of that cinematic, good job.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite
My Wc3c Resources

I'm not doing requests, don't pm me about it

~The Arch-enemy of Mc!~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rao Dao Zao
Olof always speaks true.
olofmoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:46 PM   #11
Waldbaer
Dragonblood Creator

Submissions (3)

Thanks for the feedback to you all!

Oh these damn locations... I hate them... I'll remove them completely from the system, this should remove the leaks finally!
But it will be some work, so I'll update in the next days and probably not today... we'll see.

Update!
Version 1.01: All leaks killed (the system now no longer uses any location variables internally)

Last edited by moyack : 04-01-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:45 PM   #12
moyack
Evil Emoticon

Respected User

Submissions (17)

Man, you are fast :)

Tested again and it fantastically clean. Good job.

*Approved*