wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > Tutorials for beginners
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 02-17-2007, 11:20 PM   #1
Archian
Dark & Ominous

Project Leader: LoC

Submissions (27)

Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)

Default How to: Import a Model

How to: Import a Model
By Archian

This tutorial deals with old school basics, and even more!

Importing models into the World Editor is not a tough/coarse-process (as some people make it seem), it's rather easy and shouldn't be too hard to learn. Although in some unfortunate siturations, people unnecessarily makes it harder for themselves in their ignorance, which causes them to ask periodic questions over and over again. To avoid some of these issues, I recommend that you don't just quickly skim through this tutorial but that you read it carefully. Click the images for larger versions.

So, import the model as follows:

Step 1: Get the Model
In order to import a model, you must first have a model to import (get back!? u serious?!)
For this tutorial, I'm going to demonstrate how to import a model by implementing jigraels' Demon Knight:

Zoom (requires log in)
-- This model is most brilliant and is definitely worth the download :)

Download it, and extract the files into a folder.

Note; If a model has custom skins make sure they are in .BLP format (all skins in Warcraft 3 is either in .BLP or .TGA format)

Step 2: Open your map

Step 3: Get to Know: The Import Manager
The import manager allows importation of any type of file to be used in the map, such as custom models, skins, icons, images, sounds, or music.
Too many imports can drastically lower download and load time. This feature should be only used for small files, as for example, a 3 minute song can make the file very large to download or even unable to download.

Choose the Module | Import Manager (F12), or click the Import Manager button:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	21127

Step 4: Import the model

To import a file, choose the File | Import file... command or press Ctrl+I or click the import file button:

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	21128

It will show you a typical open file dialog. Browse through your files and find the .mdx model file and select it.

Note; You will have to repeat this procedure to import all .MDX model and .BLP skin files.

If you imported the Demon Knight correctly, you should be able to see a file list similar to this one:

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	1310
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	21129

Step 5: Adjust the custom path

It's crucial that the custom path is correct. If the path is incorrect or invalid, the model, skin, or icon etc. wont appear.
However, usually the author includes the custom path along with the model, skin etc.
Here at this site, it's stated in the Submission Requirements (by Tim.) for a skin to be apporved:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Always include the texture path in the description.
And in this case, jigrael took a screenshot of the file list of the imported files. A rather untraditional method if you ask me, but it will do :)
I'll just state them bellow:
DemonKnight.mdx
DemonKnight.blp
DemonKnight_Portrait.mdx

To edit the custom path you must locate the file properties, by simply:
  • Double click a file on the list
  • OR, right click a selected file in the list and choose the "Modify File Properties...":

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	21130
Check the box "Use custom path" so you can modify the path:

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	856
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	21131

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	1001
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	21132

Then type the correct path in the text field, and click on the OK button:

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	1261
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	21133

Note; Usually in most siturations, you just have to remove the "war3mapImported\" from the .MDX file(s) and add "Textures\" instead of "war3mapImported\" of the .BLP file(s). Unless specified otherwise by the author. [More Info]

When all the paths have been adjusted, I have a file list which looks like this:

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	1305
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	21137

Step 6: Save the map
Save the map. After saving the map the World Editor has loaded the custom created model properly.
Thus, your model should now appear in the editor and in game :)

Zoom (requires log in)

If the author has not supplied the paths for any custom skins and if your own attempt(s) didn't work out, then here's a few ways to find it:

Notepad (That's right, Notepad! The simple text editor included with all versions of Microsoft Windows)
  1. Open the .MDX file in Notepad.
  2. Click on the "Edit" in the menu, then click on the "Find" command or press Ctrl+F, to find the textures.
  3. If you use Find, type in "textures" or "tex".
  4. It will find the textures section, select the path and copy/paste it into the import manager.
Warcraft 3 Viewer (Located here)

Model Not Workin'
Below, I've stated some of the problems that might occur when a model has been imported.

Invisible Model:
Invisible Model:Info:

Name:	TS1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	21134This occurs when the textures aren't loaded properly. Either you are missing a texture or have specified a wrong path.

Name:	TS2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	21135In this case the model is working successfully.
Coloured Mesh:
Coloured Mesh:Info:

Name:	TS3.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	21136If chunks of team color (in this example Red, if the unit is owned by Player 1 (Red)) appear this means that the texture have an alpha corruption, thus only the team color layer of the model is showing.

You need to modify the texture .BLP file in order to fix this problem.

If a model just stands still or doesn't decay after being killed (for example): that's most likely because the model has a lack of animations.
You'd have to contact the author in that case, or if you know how to animate then you could animate it yourself.

Last edited by Archian : 07-02-2007 at 09:30 AM.
Archian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 02-17-2007, 11:46 PM   #2
Av3n
Roar!

Project Leader: TBR
Project Member: PoC

Submissions (7)

Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)

Hero #4 extra-official winner2008 Spell olympics - Fire - BronzeHero Contest #3 - 3rd Place

Hopefully Mike replaces the one currently approved with this one

-Av3n

Thanks to FatherTime for the sig
.:
Current ProjectsSubmissions
Power of CorruptionMy Terrain
The Black RoadMy Resources
Strikeforce
Twitter
Av3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:46 AM   #3
moyack
Evil Emoticon

Respected User
Project Leader: PoC

Submissions (17)

moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)

AI Tournament #2 - 2nd PlaceHero Contest - Second place

Send a message via MSN to moyack

I like the free advertising of Jigrael's model. Good tutorial BTW :)
moyack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:50 PM   #4
Archian
Dark & Ominous

Submissions (27)

Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)

Why thank you ^^

Since there wasn't really any "good" tutorial (no offense) which taught people how to import models successfully (describing playable ingame) into the World Editor, I thought it was about time (although it's rather late considering it's the last years of War3 Modding) that someone made one

However, I wont be surprised if several people sends me Private Messages or post in this thread if they either misunderstood something, or if they simply ask questions due to laziness...

Anyway, as i state in the first post, more content will be added.
For instance, how to find a models' respective paths with programs like Warcraft 3 Viewer and Notepad ^^
Old 02-28-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
kebabmeat
Cowmooflage

Submissions (31)

kebabmeat will become famous soon enough (63)kebabmeat will become famous soon enough (63)kebabmeat will become famous soon enough (63)

Really good!
+ Rep!
Old 03-03-2007, 04:54 PM   #6
Archian
Dark & Ominous

Submissions (27)

Exclamation Attention

Why thank you, kind sir.

So, erm? PitzerMike, the tutorials needs your attention!
Old 03-03-2007, 05:06 PM   #7
Mc !
Master Creator !

Acting art director
Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (101)

Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd PlaceModeling session 2 - Chimeras

Send a message via MSN to Mc !

ehrm... Closing the editor after saving its not necessary when importing stuff... you just need to save.

Awesomeness = #Rep / #Posts

Last edited by Mc ! : 03-03-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Mc ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:53 PM   #8
Archian
Dark & Ominous

Submissions (27)

"Ah!" - enlightened Jack Sparrow voice...

Probably something that I should include, no? ^_^'
Old 03-11-2007, 10:35 PM   #9
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Tools & Tutorials Moderator

Submissions (12)

PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)

Approved Map: Pitzer's Minesweeper

Arr, very nice work.
The existing importing tut will be replaced with this.

Just have a few days patience. The front-page is currently filled with newly approved tutorials, and before approving more, I want them to get some attention.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:25 AM   #10
Archian
Dark & Ominous

Submissions (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitzerMike
Arr, very nice work.
The existing importing tut will be replaced with this.

Just have a few days patience. The front-page is currently filled with newly approved tutorials, and before approving more, I want them to get some attention.
Right. I demand compensation! :P
Old 04-24-2007, 10:48 PM   #11
PurgeandFire111
User

PurgeandFire111 will become famous soon enough (58)PurgeandFire111 will become famous soon enough (58)

Nice job Archian! I submitted one to the Hive and thought I'd submit it here, but I was beat to the post.
PurgeandFire111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:59 PM   #12
winnie52
User

winnie52 has little to show at this moment (0)

Question How to: import a model

hi. i've done everything you said to do to import the model, with the death knight, but it doesn't come up . its not even there. any help?
winnie52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:30 PM   #13
Whitehorn
SPOON!

Respected User

Submissions (114)

Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)

WTS Spell checker.

Be excellent to each other.
Whitehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:04 AM   #14
winnie52
User

winnie52 has little to show at this moment (0)

Default How to: import a model

i did spell check and it's fine
winnie52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:41 PM   #15
Syntic_Arrow
User

Submissions (4)

Syntic_Arrow has little to show at this moment (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av3n
Hopefully Mike replaces the one currently approved with this one

-Av3n

hey =P whats wrong with mine ^^
Syntic_Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote