wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Modeling / Animation
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2007, 09:06 PM   #31
Daminon
WWIAFTM!

Submissions (12)

Daminon will become famous soon enough (70)Daminon will become famous soon enough (70)Daminon will become famous soon enough (70)

Send a message via Yahoo to Daminon

Ok here is it with edged faces.

The topology in the leggs around the thorns are messy but I don't know how to fix it since the thorns have 6 sides and it is placed upon a single 4 sided polygon. So I tried to divide the polygon into tetragons but it become very messy.

TDR would you like to show a little example of the trigon thing? :)

Edit:
Removed one thorn on the legs, make the jaws become thinner and draged the legs outwards making the body look more segmented.

Smoothing, uhm done...
Attached Images
File Type: png Maggot 2.0 leg thorn topology.png (32.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: png Maggot 2.0 topology 2.png (104.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: png Maggot 2.0 topology.png (111.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: png Maggot 2.0 rendered smooth.png (516.1 KB, 38 views)
Daminon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 03-09-2007, 02:46 PM   #32
Daminon
WWIAFTM!

Submissions (12)

Daminon will become famous soon enough (70)Daminon will become famous soon enough (70)Daminon will become famous soon enough (70)

Hm I think I screw the maggot since I forgot how the joints are to be shaped on a creature with exoskeleton. :/

People say that the non-uniform scale tool is to be avoided, why?
Old 03-09-2007, 02:54 PM   #33
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

What i usually do to fix up my topology and polyflow, is go to editable mesh, select all edges, and then click the "visible" button. This will basically turn everythig into triangles. I then use the turn edge tool to make everything flow nicely.

(TDR will shoot me now, just wait and see)

*BANG* - love, TDR

Last edited by TDR : 03-10-2007 at 05:33 PM.
erwtenpeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:23 PM   #34
Daminon
WWIAFTM!

Submissions (12)

Is there any way to give mutliple vertices the same coordiante (not coordinates)? Clicking and typing on 10 vertices after another just to give them the same x coordiante is quite tiersome.

Last edited by Daminon : 03-13-2007 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:57 PM   #35
TDR
♪♫

Modeling & Gallery Moderator

Submissions (84)

TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)

Hero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceConcept art session 6 - Sea dwellersModeling session 3 - Critters

Of course. Just use this little script I made.
Note: only works in editable poly.
Oh, and works in global coordinate system, not local. So x = 0 means 0 of the world axis, not the vert's current x position. Therefore if you increase the x value to 100, in the tool, it will move the vert(s) to x =100, it won't move them WITH 100 along the x axis.
Attached Files
File Type: zip vert_pos_tool_v1,2.zip (801 Bytes, 8 views)

Last edited by TDR : 03-14-2007 at 12:10 AM.
TDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:28 AM   #36
Daminon
WWIAFTM!

Submissions (12)

Aaahhh.... I could kiss you. It's soo pleasing.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:19 AM   #37
Andy
oh dear

Respected User

Submissions (2)

Andy has a spectacular aura about (80)Andy has a spectacular aura about (80)Andy has a spectacular aura about (80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwtenpeller
What i usually do to fix up my topology and polyflow, is go to editable mesh, select all edges, and then click the "visible" button. This will basically turn everythig into triangles. I then use the turn edge tool to make everything flow nicely.

(TDR will shoot me now, just wait and see)

*BANG* - love, TDR
Or just use edit triangulation.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:20 PM   #38
Daminon
WWIAFTM!

Submissions (12)

Is this a good solution to avoid trigons and still having sharp points? It's all tetragons.
Attached Images
File Type: png Trigon to tetragon solution.png (6.0 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Daminon : 03-21-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:01 PM   #39
TDR
♪♫

Submissions (84)

TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)

Hero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceConcept art session 6 - Sea dwellersModeling session 3 - Critters

relatively yes
Old 04-01-2007, 06:51 PM   #40
Daminon
WWIAFTM!

Submissions (12)

I have a little problem with smoothing.

Here you can you see that the ending of the fuller the surface (with meshsmooth) looks strange. Is this some topology issue you think?

Here is the topology. Only tetragons.

Don't know if it's interresting but here is the meshsmooth topology.

Last edited by Daminon : 04-01-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:49 PM   #41
Daminon
WWIAFTM!

Submissions (12)

I need some UVW help. I uploaded a max file with a small part of the model that I would like someone to unwrap for me. I have tried but I can't get it right. There is info in the file which part of the model that I need help with.
Attached Files
File Type: max Lock lurker.max (1.08 MB, 2 views)
Old 04-15-2007, 12:01 AM   #42
TDR
♪♫

Submissions (84)

dude, what can I say...both your unwrapping process and the unwrap you made so far on that thing are an abomination. So I made the complete unwrap of that thing from scratch.
If you don't have max 9, download the zip file, it contains the obj which you import.
Attached Files
File Type: max Lock lurker.max (1.10 MB, 3 views)
File Type: zip daminonsthing.zip (218.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-15-2007, 12:52 AM   #43
Daminon
WWIAFTM!

Submissions (12)

Well I showed you my unwrap skill here. XD

MY problem is that I always thought that the connecting faces should be placed and welded together like 90% of the time, which is quite impossible. Good thing to know that it should only be done if it can be done good. ;)

However I must questionize the long thorns. They look a bit strange. I think at least one of mine looked better.

Thanks so much for helping me. :) Even though it's a really simple mesh unwraping isn't fun, especially not when it's about someone elses thing. We love you help.

If you want to know, a lock lurker is a creature taken from DnD. Hm crap I just rememberd that it's suposed to have an iris mouth in the middle with theeth. :/ The long thorns are legs, the long thing is the tail with a spike and the body is shaped like a coin.

Last edited by Daminon : 04-15-2007 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:22 AM   #44
TDR
♪♫

Submissions (84)

hmm, the long horns looked fine to me with the checker map, there was no stretching. But maybe I made some mistakes, it was 3 am and I was tired.

Tips from now on: don't pile up tons of edit polies and then uvw unwraps, just select in editable poly mode what polygons you'd like to unwrap then add a uvw unwrap modifier and work that portion out. Then collapse the whole stack in editable poly again, then the whole process starts all over again, but with a different part.
Use the relax tool. It's extremely useful, it does all the hard work for you. It's usually best to set iterations to 1000. (use it only since max 8 and up; the max 5 relax tool, for example, is kinda nasty)
Use pelt mapping (max 8 and up only). Again, it's one heck of a tool which saves you a lot of time. For more info about it, read max the documentation.

Last edited by TDR : 04-15-2007 at 08:23 AM.
TDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:40 PM   #45
Daminon
WWIAFTM!

Submissions (12)

Where do you find the "render to UV" feature?