wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Model & .Mdl Editing Corner
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 01-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
olofmoleman
Baron Grunwald is.

Texturing Moderator

Submissions (106)

olofmoleman has a brilliant future (953)olofmoleman has a brilliant future (953)olofmoleman has a brilliant future (953)olofmoleman has a brilliant future (953)olofmoleman has a brilliant future (953)

Approved Map: Jurassic ExplorationSmiley contest 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.Skinning Competetion #4 - FallenSkinning Competetion #4 - Atoned

Default Ingame Models Idea

Today I got an idea...

Most of you are fermilliar with that a lot of the ingame wc3 models have some bugs (mostly UV issues), so I got that idea that I could fix some models and upload them here on wc3campaigns for people to use, forexample if you want to use one of the models are base for sometihng else, this way people won't have to keep fixing those bugs over and over if they mod those ingame models, and then I figured I could even take it a step further and replace the ingame mpq file with a new one that has a lot of fixes to the models, I don't have much experience with mpq's but I think that if you replace the mpq that you could use those fixed model ingame, this would make the game a lot prettier and the models will be more mod-friendly, it would also be a major help when you want to skin a model, since a lot of skinners keep complaining about the horrible UV wraps some models have...

I'm curious about what you think of this idea, because if a lot like it I might just make a replacement for the mpq.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite
My Wc3c Resources

I'm not doing requests, don't pm me about it

~The Arch-enemy of Mc!~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rao Dao Zao
Olof always speaks true.

Last edited by olofmoleman : 01-08-2007 at 06:29 PM.
olofmoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 01-08-2007, 06:30 PM   #2
Chriz.
Vast Graphics Animator

Project Leader: WotTH

Submissions (17)

Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)

Hero Contest #2 - 2nd PlaceSkinning Competetion #3 - Elementals

Sounds nifty, but the time it will take, and the effort might be too much.

If this were complete, would skinners in the skinning contests be able to use these improved UV's?
Old 01-08-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
olofmoleman
Baron Grunwald is.

Texturing Moderator

Submissions (106)

olofmoleman has a brilliant future (953)olofmoleman has a brilliant future (953)olofmoleman has a brilliant future (953)olofmoleman has a brilliant future (953)olofmoleman has a brilliant future (953)

Approved Map: Jurassic ExplorationSmiley contest 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.Skinning Competetion #4 - FallenSkinning Competetion #4 - Atoned

Why not? all you would have to do is replace the old mpq with the fixed one and you don't ahve to worry about it, though others that don't have that fixed mpq would see the messed up UV.

My Wc3c Resources

~The Arch-enemy of Mc!~
Quote:
Olof always speaks true.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
BlinkBoy
User

Respected User

Submissions (4)

BlinkBoy has a spectacular aura about (97)BlinkBoy has a spectacular aura about (97)BlinkBoy has a spectacular aura about (97)BlinkBoy has a spectacular aura about (97)

Outstanding Tutorial

Hate to kill your dream, but if you replace any mpq, people won't be able to play on B.net without a desync.

But you could still fix them and release them as max files or mdx, to help other modellers.

Still, I haven't seen much bugs around wc3 models, could you show some?.

Btw + rep

Learn to animate! check out my: Basic Animation Tutorial!

Currently working at a sequel to my animation tutorial.
BlinkBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
Tiki
Transform and roll out!

Respected User

Submissions (11)

Tiki is a jewel in the rough (244)Tiki is a jewel in the rough (244)Tiki is a jewel in the rough (244)Tiki is a jewel in the rough (244)Tiki is a jewel in the rough (244)

AI tournament - 3rd place

I thought it would always be cool to do a high res / model fix for all units.
Instead of the gay crappy cartoony look now.

www.sc2armory.com - Join our forums and community.
Latest and most up to date information about starcraft II.
Tiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:41 PM   #6
xXm0rpH3usXx
I want my rep back! asap

Submissions (35)

xXm0rpH3usXx is a glorious beacon of light (406)xXm0rpH3usXx is a glorious beacon of light (406)xXm0rpH3usXx is a glorious beacon of light (406)xXm0rpH3usXx is a glorious beacon of light (406)xXm0rpH3usXx is a glorious beacon of light (406)xXm0rpH3usXx is a glorious beacon of light (406)

if you'd get:
10 moddelers
10 geomergers
10 skinners

and 1 mpq artist

i'd be in for some polishing up the environmental doodads!
Old 01-08-2007, 09:53 PM   #7
Nasrudin
User

Respected User

Submissions (31)

Nasrudin is just really nice (327)Nasrudin is just really nice (327)Nasrudin is just really nice (327)

Nasrudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:57 PM   #8
Mc !
Master Creator !

Acting art director
Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (101)

Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd PlaceModeling session 2 - Chimeras

Send a message via MSN to Mc !

Interesting idea, I might help a bit if you wish

Awesomeness = #Rep / #Posts
Mc ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:53 AM   #9
rulerofiron99
User

rulerofiron99 will become famous soon enough (61)rulerofiron99 will become famous soon enough (61)rulerofiron99 will become famous soon enough (61)

Sounds great.

About the battle.net issue:
backup your proper .mpq file and when you want to go online, simply replace it.
rulerofiron99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:12 PM   #10
olofmoleman
Baron Grunwald is.

Texturing Moderator

Submissions (106)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkBoy
Hate to kill your dream, but if you replace any mpq, people won't be able to play on B.net without a desync.

But you could still fix them and release them as max files or mdx, to help other modellers.

Still, I haven't seen much bugs around wc3 models, could you show some?.

Btw + rep
What's a desync? and can that problem be solved?

and you want to see some bugs? look at the Kodo forexample, on the left side there are two UV bugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc!
Interesting idea, I might help a bit if you wish
Well, one thing is for sure, I'm gonna fix some models here and there, and eventually make them public. and if you want to help with that be my guest. we only need to keep telling each other wich models we are fixing so we don't re-fix the same models over and over, I'm currently ddoing the Kodo and Illidan.

My Wc3c Resources

~The Arch-enemy of Mc!~
Quote:
Olof always speaks true.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:06 PM   #11
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

A desync causes players to drop from games, crash, burn, otherwise makes maps unplayable on BNet.
And no, you cannot avoid it when replacing MPQs.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:08 PM   #12
olofmoleman
Baron Grunwald is.

Texturing Moderator

Submissions (106)

So, a desync is a bad thing then...

My Wc3c Resources

~The Arch-enemy of Mc!~
Quote:
Olof always speaks true.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:25 PM   #13
THE_END
THE_Legion General

Project Member: PoC

Submissions (17)

THE_END is just really nice (386)THE_END is just really nice (386)THE_END is just really nice (386)THE_END is just really nice (386)THE_END is just really nice (386)

Hero Contest #3 - 3rd PlaceSkinning Contest 10 ~ Druid of the talon

Send a message via AIM to THE_END Send a message via MSN to THE_END

Yes indeed. And I can name off the top of my head some other models need that need wrap changes-
Blood Mage
Spellbreaker
Beastmaster
Treant
Old 01-09-2007, 09:44 PM   #14
Mc !
Master Creator !

Acting art director
Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (101)

Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd PlaceModeling session 2 - Chimeras

Send a message via MSN to Mc !

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_END
Yes indeed. And I can name off the top of my head some other models need that need wrap changes-
Blood Mage
Spellbreaker
Beastmaster
Treant

I was kinda aware of the pair of bms, but what's exactly the problem with the spellbreaker and the treant?

BTW if you want to avoid the dsync then just don't replace the mpq and just make everything in a huge pack, I guess that's the easier and safer way

EDIT: I will fix a lil' issue with the Ancient of War's beard

Awesomeness = #Rep / #Posts

Last edited by Mc ! : 01-09-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Mc ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:53 PM   #15
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Quote:
BTW if you want to avoid the dsync then just don't replace the mpq and just make everything in a huge pack, I guess that's the easier and safer way
Yes, that would work fine.
That way people can just import whatever ones they want to use.

Although, you could still put it inside of an MPQ for easy browsing with Magos' or Wc3Viewer.