wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Modeling / Animation
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 01-11-2007, 12:47 PM   #16
jigrael
Worker Ant

Project Member: PoC

Submissions (36)

jigrael is a splendid one to behold (695)jigrael is a splendid one to behold (695)jigrael is a splendid one to behold (695)jigrael is a splendid one to behold (695)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceBattle Droids Model Competition Winner

Nerubian Slayer
This gave me a big headche, since I didnt have much experience with IKtools it took me ages to bake, I tried many many thing to make it work, IKtools doenst work well when you mix biped + maxbones(with IK) well it doesnt works vey well with biped in general(you need to delete the root bone at the end) but I explained most of it in my tutorial. Anyway using maxbones for the legs was a GREAT relief, imagine how dificult could hav been to animate all 4 legs, the rotatios would have been a pain to do...Another thing is that I used helpers to move the legs, bad idea, helpers doesnt work well with IKtools since it deletes them in the proces of baking, so I had problems there too, cant remember how did I fix it but to convert the model from IK to FK I had to bake it 2 times, first only the biped, second what was previously baked+the legs(biped+maxbones doesnt bake well-maxbones lose some IK properties). Another problem is that I didnt attach the mesh to the biped in the beginning so I couldnt see clearly how the model was doing so the resut is that I had to tweak here and there after baking, and that is aside from the normal tweaking required for fast movements like attacks(Iktools has fixed steps to capture animation so in fast anims you lose acuracy).

Well Iwrote too much, heres the model(BIPED+baked+textures):

http://wc3campaigns.net/attachment.p...1&d=1168523015
Attached Files
File Type: zip NerubianSlayer.zip (914.4 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by jigrael : 01-18-2007 at 12:35 AM.
jigrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 01-11-2007, 05:20 PM   #17
TDR
♪♫

Modeling & Gallery Moderator

Submissions (84)

TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)

Hero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceConcept art session 6 - Sea dwellersModeling session 3 - Critters

Why on earth would you mix biped with max bones anyway???
And oh god, 300fps? Why?? (I only looked at the death knight and he had 300fps, don't know about the others). All animators use 30fps. Maybe there's some sort of trick for why you do that?
Old 01-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #18
Chriz.
Vast Graphics Animator

Project Leader: WotTH

Submissions (17)

Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)

Hero Contest #2 - 2nd PlaceSkinning Competetion #3 - Elementals

I use 30 fps myself. With 300 it gets too complicated to precisely judge the frame you want.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:55 PM   #19
jigrael
Worker Ant

Submissions (36)

jigrael is a splendid one to behold (695)jigrael is a splendid one to behold (695)jigrael is a splendid one to behold (695)jigrael is a splendid one to behold (695)

TDR: yeah the 300 fps was insane, now I work on 30 fps too...also because at 300 fps it laggs a lot to bake the animations(the maximun step is 10 frames ) XD
so for all those 300 fps model I had to revert to 30 fps(wich is easy isnt it?)
I just forgot to mention, but in my IKtut its more or less explained. Besides from this IKtool problem I dont see why I cant work on 300 fps if Im not going to render it, also mdx warcraft models captures animations at 960 fps I think(thats in the mdl no?)

I mixed both because for me it was faster and confortable: biped is already configured but if I animated using only biped I would have the same problem I had using normal FK bones: the legs, its dificult to keep the feet still in the same spot and if you rotare the pelvis the legs should rotate too but the feet should stay still and so many movements I would had to animate on the legs(theres also the shakines) so I decided to build and rig maxbones and use them as legs with IK to keep them still, I didnt knew I would had problems with IKtools but I solved them so I keep doing it, and that rig makes animating legs very easy. Now theres a model Im animating for Olof wich is completelly based on maxbones, the legs and the wings with IK chaiins, wich is easier to bake(only one bake) but maxbones doesnt have the same properties as biped dont they? So i think Ill keep using biped+maxbones XD

EDIT:
Chriz: yeah that also made me change to 30 fps :D

Last edited by jigrael : 01-11-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:06 PM   #20
TDR
♪♫

Submissions (84)

TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)

Hero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceConcept art session 6 - Sea dwellersModeling session 3 - Critters

It's not hard really to make the feet stand on the same spot and all the things you want by just using max bones and rigging them correctly. You can go as deep as scripting custom attributes for more complex rigs (thing which I'm into learning right now).
Old 01-11-2007, 08:38 PM   #21
jigrael
Worker Ant

Submissions (36)

"complex rigs" that is with IK, but can biped be rigged that way?, I dont think so, not that I know much though. Im learng the use of curves(bezier) and tcb parameters to ease the shakynnes in bones though.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:46 PM   #22
TDR
♪♫

Submissions (84)

the biped is already rigged. And IK is not used everywhere on the rig, usually on the legs and maybe spine. Arms can do without, but it's best (and I find it better that way) to rig the arms with IK anyway and switch between IK and FK when needed.

Last edited by TDR : 01-11-2007 at 08:46 PM.
TDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:51 PM   #23
jigrael
Worker Ant

Submissions (36)

I didnt know that you could switch between IK and FK, Ill look into maxbible :D or do you mean combine IK bones with FK bones then that I do too(yet in only 1 model)
Old 01-11-2007, 10:02 PM   #24
TDR
♪♫

Submissions (84)

Standard bones already use FK. Apply an IK chain (most usually a history independent chain) and they're IK rigged. You can switch between IK and FK control by selecting the IK chain helper then going to the motion pannel and click on the "enabled" button, which is activated by standard. Then you can rotate bones individually like regular FK. You can switch between ik and fk as many times as you need during an animation.
Though this is a sudden change between them, there are other more complex methods to make smooth transitions and blending between ik and fk, but I'm not familiar with those yet, I'm trying to find out more about that.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:49 PM   #25
jigrael
Worker Ant

Submissions (36)

thats useful info thanks-
Old 01-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Dionesiist
This message has been deleted by Dionesiist.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:58 PM   #26
TDR
♪♫

Submissions (84)

what the hell is wrong with you?
1. most of these are already in the resource section as fucking mdx
2. what the hell would you learn by looking at the mdx?
Old 01-18-2007, 12:37 AM   #27
jigrael
Worker Ant

Submissions (36)

Ive updated the nerubian model(fixed footprints and added colission spheres) also Dioneist Ive uploaded the mdx to the resourses section.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:36 PM   #28
Dionesiist
User

Submissions (34)

Dionesiist is just really nice (382)Dionesiist is just really nice (382)Dionesiist is just really nice (382)Dionesiist is just really nice (382)Dionesiist is just really nice (382)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDR
what the hell is wrong with you?
1. most of these are already in the resource section as fucking mdx
2. what the hell would you learn by looking at the mdx?
I was mainly reffering to the Nerubian Slayer :) And I have no hope of learning
Dionesiist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:02 PM   #29
TDR
♪♫

Submissions (84)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionesiist
And I have no hope of learning
a paralyzed blind, deaf, dumb, mindless retard in a wheelchair who gets food injected directly into his stomach and can't even blink without aid has no hope of learning. So unless you're like that, you're a fool to think this way.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:40 PM   #30
jigrael
Worker Ant

Submissions (36)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionesiist
I was mainly reffering to the Nerubian Slayer :) And I have no hope of learning
you are getting better Dio, just get 3dsmax, and dont tell me "no Ill stick to vertex modifier" 3dsmax is ten times better that it, vertex modifier was good for its time and for ppl that cant get 3dsmax, but come on nowadays you can get allmost anything you want if you know where to search...except 3dsmax5 ofcourse XD(but if you r really interested I could do something...pm me)

Last edited by jigrael : 01-23-2007 at 05:40 PM.