wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Ghost Forums > Map Database
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 11-29-2006, 09:50 AM   #16
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomhammer
I reckon that AI support has already become standard for high quality maps.
On what do you base that? "Standard" implies it would have to be pretty much everywhere, which is not, unless you twist the definition of a "quality map" to mean only maps that have AI.

Quote:
Hell, what would Quake3 be without computer opponents? - A mere portrait of surrealistic archicteture!
Perhaps you missed that button in the main menu that says "multiplayer"?

Quote:
Yet from the technical side, I can't see any difficulties hindering the implementation of some sort of computer opponent. Is it "practically impossible" to adapt a bunch of hero arena triggers? I don't think so.
Please, just drop it. You clearly have no concept of how difficult it can be to design a competent AI, especialy in a game as complex as this. Due to the influence terrain has on lines of fire, making a decent aiming script alone would be a pain. Don't even get me started on things like tactical evaluation of the situation and teamwork. I see plenty technical difficulties hindering the implementation of a decent computer opponent - and I wouldn't be sattisfied with anything less.

Please, just drop the subject of AI, and focus on what the game is about, competitive tactical flag capturing.

Last edited by Anitarf : 11-29-2006 at 09:53 AM.
Anitarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 11-29-2006, 10:31 AM   #17
iNfraNe
MSc

Cinematics Moderator

Submissions (7)

iNfraNe is just really nice (261)iNfraNe is just really nice (261)iNfraNe is just really nice (261)iNfraNe is just really nice (261)iNfraNe is just really nice (261)

Approved Map: Mortar Ball

Send a message via MSN to iNfraNe

Indeed, even if an AI was made it would be of no big deal to handle with. This game is more than your average map which requires no skill / brains. Playing this game actually wants intelligence from you.

So either a) stop bitching or b) Try making the AI yourself

Furthermore, an AI isnt needed since its a multiplayer game, no intentions of playing it solo.
The Spirit of Vengeance (Cinematic, Blizzard contest winner)
Elimination Tournament
Mortar Ball
iNfraNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:31 PM   #18
ragingspeedhorn
I MUST BREAK YOU

Official Map Reviewer

Submissions (10)

ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)

Approved Map: Dodge The Wisp Wheels

Send a message via MSN to ragingspeedhorn

Implementing an AI into ET would be a waste of time and map space. Better to use the space left on more actual content than AI to satisfy the few single player people there is.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:07 PM   #19
GaDDeN
Map Dev *********

Respected User

Submissions (3)

GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)

Approved Map: EliminationApproved Map: Stand of the PeonsApproved Map: Elimination Tournament

In hero arenas, you attack click on the enemy and spam all spells you have. When your low on health, you run away.

You can't really compare that to what a moderate AI in Elimination would be. And it's deffinately not worth the work it would be; it wouldn't be fun playing against bots. Its a multiplayer map, I'm not adapting it for people without internet :)

edit: Oops posted without seeing page 2 :)

Last edited by GaDDeN : 11-29-2006 at 03:41 PM.
GaDDeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:57 PM   #20
WILL THE ALMIGHTY
. . .

Submissions (21)

WILL THE ALMIGHTY is just really nice (284)WILL THE ALMIGHTY is just really nice (284)

Hmmmm... I wish there were more weapons...
[21-10-16] Ash: WILLTHEALMIGHTY, IT IS NOT SAFE OUT THERE, TAKE THIS!
[21-10-16] Ash gives WILL a kitten.
WILL THE ALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:37 PM   #21
ragingspeedhorn
I MUST BREAK YOU

Official Map Reviewer

Submissions (10)

ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)

A weapon or 2 more wouldn't hurt, but too many weapons wouldn't be good, too confusing then.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:54 PM   #22
WILL THE ALMIGHTY
. . .

Submissions (21)

WILL THE ALMIGHTY is just really nice (284)WILL THE ALMIGHTY is just really nice (284)

6 is a pretty small amount tho. 2 more and its fine. or maybe some weapon upgrades?
Old 11-29-2006, 07:03 PM   #23
Sacreligious
User

Submissions (1)

Sacreligious will become famous soon enough (25)

Approved Map: Abyssium

Just curious, have you considered adding another grenade such as a sticky grenade?
Old 11-29-2006, 07:47 PM   #24
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

You mean like in, oh, let me guess, Halo?

Please post such small suggestions and other thoughts about further development of the map in our map testing thread rather that in the submission thread, let's keep this one clean.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:55 PM   #25
WILL THE ALMIGHTY
. . .

Submissions (21)

Nonetheless, a sticky grenade would be cool (not just stick to people stick to anything like walls).

Now if only we could have an official review... or did all the map testers have a hand in the project? Anyway, I see no reason for this to lay around in the map submissions...
Old 11-30-2006, 12:07 AM   #26
Taur
#8 in posting (nolifeftw)

Taur is a jewel in the rough (215)Taur is a jewel in the rough (215)Taur is a jewel in the rough (215)Taur is a jewel in the rough (215)

Oh right, well this is approved, though I may be a bit biased seeing as how I hardly play anything else besides Elim on bnet :P

Why?
Much better than other shooters, the systems are great, and the guns are very well made. Subtle things like, bullets colliding with walls, make this stand out from the rest.

Strategy is incorporated into each map, a different game plan and gun (well sometimes) are needed for each.

The items are all charged items so they add to your ability soemwhat but a small change in gold doesnt really matter. Snowball effect is non-existant.

It's very polished, and well done and most of all fun (it's really hard to describe why it's fun but it is).

A few suggestions:

We need more items! E.g. a deflector shield that lasts for a few seconds and deflects (not absorbs) all bullets thrown at it.
Bounty must be fixed to give more gold, right now there is practically no gold reward for kills as I said in the thread.
Taur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:24 AM   #27
Captain Griffen
Dread Lord of the Cookies

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)

Approved Map: Warlords[Quicksilver #2] - 1st Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL THE ALMIGHTY
Now if only we could have an official review... or did all the map testers have a hand in the project? Anyway, I see no reason for this to lay around in the map submissions...

Very few reviewers are active (around about, well, just me, and I'm busy with work). Really, this one should lie here while the others submitted earlier are tested.
Quote:
[13:32] <Akolyt0r> hmm.. stil i want to have some unused women
Captain Griffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:51 AM   #28
Aray
Concepter & Writer

Aray will become famous soon enough (44)Aray will become famous soon enough (44)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Griffen
Very few reviewers are active (around about, well, just me, and I'm busy with work). Really, this one should lie here while the others submitted earlier are tested.
- Why? The way I see it, this is a massively upgraded version of the game that is already in the maps section. We already have many reviewers who have accepted the map (although most of these have been sharing their cookies with eachother) and I haven't seen anyone who has opposed its acceptance yet.

And unfair but true, all of those who have accepted it have played it (quite thurougly I believe) so there's really no reason keeping it here. No, it's not fair to the other map submitters, but there's really no reason why this map should be held back here if it is 100% ready to go into the map section.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:03 AM   #29
ragingspeedhorn
I MUST BREAK YOU

Official Map Reviewer

Submissions (10)

Infrane, GaDDeN and Anitarf cannot approve of their own map, Aray. Also an admin approval is needed.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:16 AM   #30
Fulla
Evil Overlord

Submissions (3)

Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)

It will get definetly get approved, so no need to rush.