wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Project Discussion > Map Testing
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 11-26-2006, 01:51 AM   #1
illidan92
Banned

illidan92 has a little shameless behaviour in the past (-10)

Idea WW2 Urban Warfare 1.0

Summary:
Day Of Defeat: Donner was submitted to the maps but was denied for various reasons. Now i'm back, remaking the whole shooting and reloading system and adding new features, reduced the map file size, worked on the AI a little bit and added new stuff (sounds, movement speed decreased when carrying mortars, etc.), not to include various bug fixing (the wait before class choosing >.<).

Donner takes place in a city where the U.S. and Wehrmacht battle it out for control of capture points. The feel and sound effects of the game make it more and more intense, including background music of gunshots and bombs going off.
The game lasts for 5 rounds (first to 3 rounds won is a game win). In order to win a round you and your team must turn capture points to your side. Theres 5 capture points in the map, marked with a flag with the color of the team that currently controls it. Each team starts with 2 flags under their control, and in the center theres a broken down tank with a flag under no one's control.

As you walk around the city shooting the opposite team, you'll notice various detailed buildings that you can enter. Many have windows that you can shoot out of then get behind the wall for cover. If you look in the rooms you can sometimes find items that you can use. Theres currently bandages, mortar cannons, mortar shells, panzerschreks, rifle grenades, supplies, and more to come.

Features:
11 different classes with different statistics and a detailed historical and informal (fire rate, damage, weight etc.) description. Guns have gun heat (gold) that builds up as you shoot and slowly receeds. Guns with fast fire rates tend to heat up quickly, and different guns have different heating values (like an MG would have 2 per shot because it shoots about 10 bullets per second, and a garand will have 15 per shot because it shoots about 1.6 bullets per second). A gun overheats if it's gun heat exceeds 76. Every 15 seconds theres a "respawn", where if theres less than 35 bots on a team more will spawn, and dead players will spawn if their reinforcement limit is not exceeded (if you press esc you can choose a different class to respawn as). Each player gets 5 reinforcements, which is reset at the end of a round, and if you have more than 0 used you will get 1 more if a point is captured.
Also I added 3 new bot unit types instead of one. They are support, assault and rifleman, each with different characteristics.

Team:
illidan92

Progress:
Probably around 90%, i'm still taking in ideas and fixing a few small bugs. Also working on more detailed terrain. I'm now working on more stuff to do than just capture flags and kill people.

WW2 Urban Warfare 1.0 Changelog

-Various bug fixes.
-New abilities.
-Abilities require a certain amount of kills, I.E. scope requires 10 kills.
-Camera bounces around from recoil when you shoot.
-Snipers and support now have a pistol which automatically reloads.
-Few small terrain changes.
-Bots will guard flags.
-Theres 3 streets with a "street control point", if you control it bonus units will spawn from there.
-If the game has 2 or less players bots can capture control points.
-Put the rifleman class on the top of the menu because it's recommended for new players.
-A scoreboard that displays NPC kills, player kills and deaths.
-Your ear rings if something explodes by you.
-Shortened reload time for the Machine Gunner class.
-New sounds for the Machine Gunner's reload.
-Changed the amount of supplies recieved when using the Supplies item.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DOD Terrain05.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	17603
Been slowly working on terrain a little more. Heres an alley near the Axis spawn.

Large Screenshots

Zoom (requires log in)
I've been working on more terrain detal. Heres a window someone can shoot out of.

Zoom (requires log in)
Heres a large table full of yummy foods :D.

Zoom (requires log in)
Heres part of a room in a tavern.

Zoom (requires log in)
Some areas have been shelled, but this house has no evidence of explosions like the others? Must have been the invading Wehrmacht.

WW2 Urban Warfare V1.0 PROT.w3x

Please submit any suggestions or bugs here, thanks.

Last edited by illidan92 : 01-02-2007 at 10:03 PM.
illidan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 11-26-2006, 08:36 AM   #2
MercyfulJester
User

MercyfulJester is on a distinguished road (20)

Any way to control the amount of bots on each team? It is also strange, that bots cannot capture points. Can that idle tank be used somehow?
MercyfulJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
illidan92
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercyfulJester
Any way to control the amount of bots on each team? It is also strange, that bots cannot capture points. Can that idle tank be used somehow?
Bots are not made to capture points, but I think i'll make it so they can if it's in single player.
You can't control the amount of bots on each team, but they can't exceed 25.
The idle tank is just a doodad.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:03 PM   #4
lom109
User

lom109 has little to show at this moment (4)

i havnt played it and even though people say you talk shit alot, i like the screenshots ALOT :)

hey i was wondering if it could include a locked close up 3rd person view type idea...
Cam locked on unit, and you can only see what your hero is facing at. (not fps)

Another idea would be the tanks. Using tanks. You would be able to command different tanks that are spawned randomly and can runover enemies. This would allow you to add a few more classes = Entry Ops, and maybe even Heavy Assault (to take out the tanks and etc.)

anyways those are my two 'cents' on this idea. gj keep up the good job. Unfortuntely, if its warcraft3's original camera, i doubt even i would want to play it. It wouldnt make a difference between this game and some halfasssed map (like elimination) but still, your map is still commendable. keep up the good work and dont stop producing them :).
lom109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:23 AM   #5
illidan92
Banned

I don't know where you're getting the "Talk shit a lot" stuff, but thanks for the post.

I probably won't make 1st person camera view any time soon, but tanks will probably make it into the map via world events.

Even though it is the top-down omniscient camera, I still suggest you give the game a shot. The reason why I don't use 3rd person cams is because it's very hard to maneuver. I have thought deeply of locking the camera to your marine though and making scopes and stuff zoom it out further.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:22 PM   #6
Craka_J 123
R.I.P. George Carlin

Submissions (6)

Craka_J 123 will become famous soon enough (47)Craka_J 123 will become famous soon enough (47)

Send a message via AIM to Craka_J 123 Send a message via MSN to Craka_J 123 Send a message via Yahoo to Craka_J 123

Ingame screenshots would be awesome. Is it a FPS like the real game or in a RTS view like all of the other maps?
Craka_J 123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 01:13 AM   #7
illidan92
Banned

It's the top down (RTS) cam. Although I love that view the gameplay is just hard with a 3rd person cam.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:31 AM   #9
Anopob
Yay!

Anopob has a spectacular aura about (120)

You cannot enter "Taverns Armory", the one with the 3 tables. Or atleast I couldn't.
Better Ways of Requesting For Help - Race Contest #2 WIP Thread (Bone Race)
As of December 1st I have my blue rep. Yay :D
Anopob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 02:43 AM   #11
illidan92
Banned

I'll look into tracey's armory.

I also noticed the gameplay does get repetitive and boring quickly. Now in my new version which will be released soon (probably as soon as someone submits a good marine skin suggestion in the artist's discussion and queries subforum) theres going to be more stuff to do. For one theres currently 3 streets with street control points at them. When you take a street allied units will spawn from there. I'll probably add a few more skills and items too. Another change is that the BAR and STG44 will have burst fire and semi-automatic! It's working perfecto right now! Oh I almost forgot, if you play it in 1 player the bots will capture control points, and I might make it so they can in multiplayer too. Cast your vote if you want it or not to be in multiplayer here along with any other suggestions.

For the next version i'll also need some unique idea suggestions quickly. I want to have at least 3 new world events and anything else that adds to the gameplay (like the street capturing), plus new item and skill suggestions. I might make a world event where the team to complete it will get a tank to use!

I've been thinking hard on making a basic triggered AI system. I've thought of things like them taking defensive positions around control points that the enemy might take and setting up defensive positions with 1-3 marines (and adding a sniper NPC to solo-camp in buildings) by chance in places like buildings and destroyed ones. For now i'll give it a shot and if it runs smoothly with few bugs it will remain and be improved with further updates.

New Version Stuff: I did the AI thing, it's working beautifully! It took a looong time to make because I messed up on an important variable and had to go back and change it about 30 times. Total bitch >.<. It's cool too because it refreshes every 20 seconds, and if the max units are met it doesn't spawn 1 and instead moves a random guard to the designated control point, depending on which points are controlled. I also increased the garand attack speed and decreased it's damage, plus the STG and BAR have a burst-fire thats also working beautifully! The cooldown for the Carbine has been decreased to basicly however fast you can press T and click (how it was back then) but the gun heat will get you if you shoot a whole lot. Oh yeah, if your gun overheats it starts smoking now :D. All I want to do now is get someone to submit a marine skin and maybe add a new item and world event.

Last edited by illidan92 : 12-28-2006 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:43 AM   #12
Anopob
Yay!

Anopob has a spectacular aura about (120)

So is Tracey's Armory working now or what? Anyways, I hope it will come soon, eager to see it. Also, can you make it so that the cpu bots are harder if there are X amount more players on X team than Y team (basically, if more players are on one team, make the bots on the other team stronger)? Thanks.
Better Ways of Requesting For Help - Race Contest #2 WIP Thread (Bone Race)
As of December 1st I have my blue rep. Yay :D
Anopob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:41 PM   #13
illidan92
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anopob
So is Tracey's Armory working now or what? Anyways, I hope it will come soon, eager to see it. Also, can you make it so that the cpu bots are harder if there are X amount more players on X team than Y team (basically, if more players are on one team, make the bots on the other team stronger)? Thanks.
It will be ready as soon as someone replies to my question with the scope causing server splits in the scripts and triggers forum.

Edit: Renamed the map, put the new version up and removed the scope fade filter because I still have not found a way to make it not drop you.

Last edited by illidan92 : 01-02-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:38 AM   #14
corrupt
User

corrupt has little to show at this moment (0)

The AI bots seem pretty decent, which makes me wonder if it's possible to allow AI for actual players? I tried adding myself and 5 computer players (in open slots) but unforutnately nothing came up just "not playing". My allied bots went forward with me, but not the same of course.
Maybe you can use some of that AI to work on for players?

Reason I bring it up is because is because 95% of battle.net these days is DOTA so the chances of finding online games are going to be rare.. better AI than nothing..
corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote