wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Triggers & Scripts
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 12:58 PM   #1
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

Default Hero Contest! (Deadline = December 7th, 2006)

Hello all, with the news that for a month and a half will be hosting a hero contest, which deals with the creation of a hero.

A hero:
  • 4 spells ( all `triggered´ or `jassed´ , one passive , one ultimate, at least one synergy/combo )
  • The theme: It is important, the model of choice + the spells themselves + the hero stats, everything should combine correctly.
  • The balance: Huh? Of course you could take archmonde model and give him 4 different nuke spells, but would people like that? This hero should be ``ready to use for melee as a tavern hero´´ , of course, that might never happen but that's the guideline for balance.

Deadline?
December 1st, 0:00 (GMT -4)

Who wins?
n contestants enter, if n>3 then we enter to a public poll in which people can distribute 2 points between the contestants: A person can pick 2 submissions he liked the most and give one point each OR give 2 points to a single person.

Then the 3 with more crowd points are selected for the grading stage in which the judges would select the first, second and third places depending on a punctuation system based on the list we have up there.

And finally we present the winning submissions in a special pack to be submitted on christmas.

Prices
  • 1st place: +75 rep , special award icon.
  • 2nd place: +50 rep , special award icon.
  • 3rd place: +25 rep , special award icon.

Rules for the spells
Things from other authors you can use:
- Handle variables
- CSCache
- WeWarlock (SmartAttach, Smart*)
- JASSHelper

Edit: Yep, no "caster system" only CSCache , you also CANNOT use a system not in the storage classification even if you made it, this means that if I enter the contest I (vexorian) can't use the caster system. If you know of another storage system that would like to use here notify me with a link to it so I add it to the rules (and I learn about it) If you made the storage system you are going to use then you don't need this permission.

--
Make sure the map is easy to test

PS: If n<=3 the contest is cancelled

Huh? How do I submit the map?
Go to the pastebin and submit the map attached to a new thread. Use [HERO] as preffix for the title
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 10-18-2006, 01:22 PM   #2
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

That's...
Actually a really cool idea.

Clarification questions; I noticed you said --
Quote:
one passive , one ultimate, at least one synergy/combo
Do they have to follow that specific style or are we free to do the 4 skills how we want (Assuming one ultimate-ish spell)?
Also, one entry per contestant?

And so we should balance it like it were a melee hero, fair enough.
Are there any special restrictions on the types of spells we use? Or is anything that works fair game?

Lastly, custom models or in-game models?

Last edited by Rising_Dusk : 10-18-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:25 PM   #3
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)

in-game models, otherwise we would have to make this a global contest. Being creative on what model to choose is also part of the process.

There should be one ultimate with one level and 3 abilities with 3 levels. There should also be at least one synergy or combo.

synergy: For example when you learn Engineering Upgrade, besides of the (speed?) bonus you also improve the rest of the spells

combo: The drunken haze + breadth fo fire effect is a combo.

The kind of spells should depend on the chosen theme for the hero.
Faster != more useful
Old 10-18-2006, 02:00 PM   #4
Chuckle_Brother
Oh for the sake of fudge

Respected User

Submissions (2)

Chuckle_Brother will become famous soon enough (53)Chuckle_Brother will become famous soon enough (53)

Send a message via ICQ to Chuckle_Brother Send a message via AIM to Chuckle_Brother Send a message via MSN to Chuckle_Brother Send a message via Yahoo to Chuckle_Brother

Alright, what do you classify as systems?

I routinely use a BonusMod clone that I wrote for myself for easy stat manipulation, would that be considered out of bounds? What about stuff like functions to maintain a lightning between 2 units over X seconds?

Could you be a bit more specific for what you mean by systems.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:03 PM   #5
Chriz.
Vast Graphics Animator

Project Leader: WotTH

Submissions (17)

Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)Chriz. has a brilliant future (830)

Hero Contest #2 - 2nd PlaceSkinning Competetion #3 - Elementals

It's about time this contest was made, this would definately make very helpful resources for almost any kind of map that involves heroes.

Though I must admit, I always imagined an art part to this as well, but hey, this works too. I look forward to the marvelous entries.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:04 PM   #6
zen87
vJass maniac

Submissions (1)

zen87 has a spectacular aura about (86)zen87 has a spectacular aura about (86)zen87 has a spectacular aura about (86)

Send a message via MSN to zen87

Hmph vex, just to confirm, the max lvl is 10 rite ? alrite im in for this one ><
Old 10-18-2006, 02:06 PM   #7
FinalTyrant
Intense™

Submissions (2)

FinalTyrant will become famous soon enough (66)FinalTyrant will become famous soon enough (66)FinalTyrant will become famous soon enough (66)

This is such a good idea, looking forward to what people enter here.

Good luck to all.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:07 PM   #8
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

You can't use anything outside the spells' code that is not an storage system, no bonus mod.

Edit: yes, max level is 10
Faster != more useful
Old 10-18-2006, 02:12 PM   #9
Chuckle_Brother
Oh for the sake of fudge

Respected User

Submissions (2)

Chuckle_Brother will become famous soon enough (53)Chuckle_Brother will become famous soon enough (53)

Send a message via ICQ to Chuckle_Brother Send a message via AIM to Chuckle_Brother Send a message via MSN to Chuckle_Brother Send a message via Yahoo to Chuckle_Brother

....RAWR

That is massively lame, on a scale that I can't begin to describe or even understand.

So if I wanted, say, damage detection I would need to do it manually for that spell?

Okay, so if systems aren't allowed, what about handy functions?
Old 10-18-2006, 02:20 PM   #10
Fulla
Evil Overlord

Submissions (3)

Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)

Can we atleast use some custom icons to match the spells?

Pretty please ;D
Old 10-18-2006, 02:33 PM   #11
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckle_Brother
....RAWR

That is massively lame, on a scale that I can't begin to describe or even understand.

So if I wanted, say, damage detection I would need to do it manually for that spell?

Okay, so if systems aren't allowed, what about handy functions?
Maybe you could think about spells that don't need those?
Faster != more useful
Old 10-18-2006, 02:40 PM   #12
Fulla
Evil Overlord

Submissions (3)

Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)

I noticed unlike the other contests it does NOT specifcally state:
Only 1 Entry per Contestant?

Now we have about 6-7 weeks, if someone submits an entry within 1-2 weeks would they be allowed to enter another one?
Old 10-18-2006, 02:54 PM   #13
moyack
Evil Emoticon

Respected User
Project Leader: PoC

Submissions (17)

moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)

AI Tournament #2 - 2nd PlaceHero Contest - Second place

Send a message via MSN to moyack

Vex: God bless you!!!!

I'm in!!!! HAHAAAA

So everything must be native. No custom units, icons or fxs??

Last edited by moyack : 10-18-2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:02 PM   #14
Thunder_Eye
Lol I got a custom title!

Thunder_Eye has a spectacular aura about (88)Thunder_Eye has a spectacular aura about (88)Thunder_Eye has a spectacular aura about (88)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexorian
Of course you could take archmonde model and give him 4 different nuke spells
grr that was my idea..

anyway, like asked above, are custom icons allowed?

Can we add hero glow to non hero models?

Last edited by Thunder_Eye : 10-18-2006 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #15
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Ok. You can have custom icons. But nothing else
Faster != more useful
Closed Thread