wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Model & .Mdl Editing Corner
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 09-30-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
Nasrudin
User

Respected User

Submissions (31)

Nasrudin is just really nice (327)Nasrudin is just really nice (327)Nasrudin is just really nice (327)

Default Warshape - dowload+guide

This animation program was made by Oinkerwinkle. Since its development was eventually discontinued, many features are missing\not working, however it's still good enough to make something fully usable by warcraft, like this model.

- Running the program

Warshape is written in Java (so in theory, it should work both on Pc and Machintosh). If you have problems running it, see the guide in the official page. In that page there is also a dowload link for Warshape: ignore it. While being the most recent, that version has more bugs than the previous; use this version instead.

Known bugs and issues

- For some reasons, Warshape cannot modify blizzard models. Apparently, it works only with models exported from 3ds and Milkshape.
- Only movement and rotation keys works.
- It seems that after several sessions, some bones (usually only one) may be cloned several times. It isn't too much of an issue, unless in the process the pivotpoints coordinates were changed. Anyway, you can use Magos' model editor to remove the clones later.
- Again, after several sessions, you can see some bones going the opposite way than they did before. This happens only in warshape, not in the actual animation.

- Getting started

- Finding a compatible model.
As I wrote before, Warshape is not compatible with standard blizzard models (or geomerges for that matter). However, it seems to work with model exported from 3ds and Milkshape. If you want to start right away, you can use my old rogue.
- Convert the model in mdl format and open it with Warshape. Press "3" to enter the animation mode. At this point you can select one animation; from the "animation" menu select "go to" and click on one of the animations on the list.
- Now you should see some blue marks in the 4 preview windows. These are bones; each one is tied to a specific part of the model. Select one or more(left click+drag): they should turn red.
- By now, you should see some red and blue rectangles appearing in the white bar at the bottom of the program. They are keyframes. Keyframes are objects used to determine a bone movement\rotation\size in a given moment (aka frame). The red rectangles are movement keys, the blue rectangles are rotation keys. Size keys are green, but Warshape can't handle them. Should you find a model that type of keys, just do not touch them.
You can move the keys in the animation timeline by selecting them (left click+draw) and moving the mouse (hold the right button). To clone the selected keys, hold shift and move them. To delete them, press "canc".
Attached Files
File Type: zip WarShape.zip (92.4 KB, 821 views)

Last edited by Nasrudin : 10-01-2006 at 07:40 PM.
Nasrudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 09-30-2006, 04:18 PM   #2
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)

Approved Map: When the Freedom Slips Away

Send a message via MSN to Rao Dao Zao

I'm going to sticky this, because it's potentially very very interesting.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:23 PM   #3
moyack
Evil Emoticon

Respected User
Project Leader: PoC

Submissions (17)

moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)

AI Tournament #2 - 2nd PlaceHero Contest - Second place

Send a message via MSN to moyack

Hi Nasrudin :)

there's a mispelling in the guide link, it should be http://www.oinkerwinkle.com/warshape/download.html
moyack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:45 PM   #4
Nasrudin
User

Respected User

Submissions (31)

Nasrudin is just really nice (327)Nasrudin is just really nice (327)Nasrudin is just really nice (327)

This will suck me a lot of time I guess... It's actually more hard to make a guide than learning the basics by myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyack

Well, it does work for me...
Old 10-01-2006, 07:54 PM   #5
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)

Only because, being the master of this little corner of the world, I fixed it for you, Nazza.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:59 PM   #6
Nasrudin
User

Respected User

Submissions (31)

Maybe fixing my grammar and spelling would have been more important...

But still, ty!
ArrDee.
My hero.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:10 AM   #7
someone
User

someone has little to show at this moment (0)

I've had Warshape for a month or so and I love it but I'd like to know how you make groups? as in, how do you assign the verticles to each bones?

MDL editing? Other program? Hidden function?
someone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:28 AM   #8
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Vertex Modifier, I believe. Not entirely sure, though.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:33 AM   #9
Nasrudin
User

Respected User

Submissions (31)

Well, the Vertex Modifier has the "assign vertex group" and "assign matrix" functions. Too bad I don't know what a matrix\group is. :D
Old 10-06-2006, 01:46 PM   #10
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Vertex groups are what all vertices in, there is one matrix for each group, the matrix says what bone the group should follow.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:43 PM   #11
Nasrudin
User

Respected User

Submissions (31)

I don't see the purpose of the matrix. I mean, why you can't link the vertices to the bone directly?
Old 10-06-2006, 07:38 PM   #12
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Because that would be inefficient somehow? I dunno.

The point is, vertices go into groups, and groups have matrices which are assigned to bones. Bleargh.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:50 PM   #13
Magos
User

Magos will become famous soon enough (39)Magos will become famous soon enough (39)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasrudin
I don't see the purpose of the matrix. I mean, why you can't link the vertices to the bone directly?
A group can specify multiple bones so the vertex is blended between these creating smoother animations as opposed to being attached to a single bone.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:10 PM   #14
Nasrudin
User

Respected User

Submissions (31)

Well, I thought of that... if they made it this way, it should mean that somehow vertices alone cannot be linked to multiple bones. What I was wondering is, why.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:18 PM   #15
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Would be inefficient, far as I can see.

If you had to assign, say, two hundred vertices to bones X, Y, and Z... That's three times two hundred equals six hundred parameters; instead, you have one for each vertex (two hundred) and that is link to a matrix with three parameters; two hundred and three parameters.