wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Resources > Code Resources > Spells
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 09-06-2006, 01:23 PM   #1
Daelin
Kelani Mage

Submissions (48)

Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)

Hero Contest - First place

Default Mana Pulse

Description: Creates three balls of energy (orbs) around the target, that bounce its maximum mana up and down randomly. As the mana decreases the orbs increase in size and vice-versa. Depending on their size, friendly units of the caster around the target are regenerated mana points. Area of effect also depends on size of balls. When spell is interrupted (or ends) a number of beams equal with the number of buffs the target has (minimum unconditional number: 3) spiral outside from within the caster and any enemy units touched by them are drained of mana. Maximum mana of target is restored to its original value.

Quite complicated, eh? Testing is better than guiding yourself only by the description. The spell was initially supposed to be a crazy idea but it turned out in my opinion into an original spell with elements unseen before.

~Daelin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ManaSpell.jpg (53.3 KB, 593 views)
File Type: jpg Spiral1.jpg (87.9 KB, 435 views)
Attached Files
File Type: w3x Mana Pulse.w3x (32.7 KB, 508 views)

Last edited by Daelin : 09-08-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Daelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 09-06-2006, 10:08 PM   #2
emjlr3
Rehabbing

Submissions (14)

emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)

Mapping Contest First Place

Send a message via AIM to emjlr3 Send a message via MSN to emjlr3

neat spell, well done as usual
Old 09-07-2006, 04:55 AM   #3
Daelin
Kelani Mage

Submissions (48)

Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)

Thanks.

C'mon, no mod commenting this? Approved, not approved?

~Daelin

Old 09-07-2006, 07:06 AM   #4
blu_da_noob
Nonchalant

Respected User

Submissions (2)

blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)

[Quicksilver #2] - 2nd Place[Quicksilver#1] 1st place

Send a message via MSN to blu_da_noob

We do not have infinite time to sit on the forum constantly refreshing to look for new posts and review them instantly. We have lives which takes time, as well as our own projects and things to work on. Expecting a response withing 12 hours is stupid. Even if I could spend all my free time here, there would be periods longer than 12 hours where I wouldn't be able to respond at all.

I have today off school, so I'm going to try catching up with the back-log here.

On another note (and this is just from having read your post, I haven't tested the spell yet), the spell idea doesn't sound very coherent. It sounds like a few random effects with no synergy that were thrown together.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:57 AM   #5
FireFreak
User

FireFreak has little to show at this moment (4)

you could make the bolts also "burn" buffs or add an option
FireFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:44 PM   #6
blu_da_noob
Nonchalant

Respected User

Submissions (2)

blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)

Using an array for the 3 missiles is pointless, because you never use a loop for it (which is generally the main advantage to using an array). It also means unnecessarily large memory allocation.

When you create the missiles, you use a set value for the Y projection instead of the constant function's value.

You never destroy the UNIT_SPELL_ENDCAST trigger.

Your current method of preventing your SetUnitX/Y going outside the map area is buggy. It will sometimes cause them to stop moving completely (because sometimes SetUnitX and Y will only work when both are used together).

In trigger ManaPulse_EndSpiral you don't null some units and the trigger variable.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:02 PM   #7
Daelin
Kelani Mage

Submissions (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu da noob
Using an array for the 3 missiles is pointless, because you never use a loop for it (which is generally the main advantage to using an array). It also means unnecessarily large memory allocation.
Okie dokie, though I used a loop in the second function. Since I had to solve problem 4, loop was more advantageous to avoid.

Quote:
When you create the missiles, you use a set value for the Y projection instead of the constant function's value.
Solved!

Quote:
You never destroy the UNIT_SPELL_ENDCAST trigger.
Forgot, stupid me. :P Solved!

Quote:
Your current method of preventing your SetUnitX/Y going outside the map area is buggy. It will sometimes cause them to stop moving completely (because sometimes SetUnitX and Y will only work when both are used together).
My bad. They were all supposed to stop EVERYTIME one tried to get out of the map. Problem solved, sorry about that.

Quote:
In trigger ManaPulse_EndSpiral you don't null some units and the trigger variable.
Fixed. My bad!

Ok, if there are any problems, just let me know. :) Sorry about the leaks, I should've checked better.

~Daelin

Old 09-08-2006, 05:19 PM   #8
blu_da_noob
Nonchalant

Respected User

Submissions (2)

Just one last thing I think you should fix is the ending missiles should explode when they leave the map area. Otherwise they move weirdly along the edge :P (Oh, and your dummy units still have their shadow ;-) ).

I'll approve in anticipation.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:27 PM   #9
Daelin
Kelani Mage

Submissions (48)

The shadow is supposed to be there. And if you insist, I will modify the missile stuff. :) Thanks for approving.

~Daelin

Old 09-08-2006, 05:42 PM   #10
blu_da_noob
Nonchalant

Respected User

Submissions (2)

It looks kinda weird (mostly on the end effect missiles, on the rotating balls it looks ok).
Old 09-08-2006, 06:03 PM   #11
Daelin
Kelani Mage

Submissions (48)

I can't remove units of the spiral. Doing so would mess up the whole spiral since the formula is based on the exact number of units in the spiral. Sorries, all I can do is make the spiral element stationary.

~Daelin

Old 09-09-2006, 08:30 AM   #12
BertTheJasser
xyzi - our universe

Submissions (2)

BertTheJasser has a spectacular aura about (111)BertTheJasser has a spectacular aura about (111)BertTheJasser has a spectacular aura about (111)BertTheJasser has a spectacular aura about (111)

Haha! Very creative! +Rep
Special thanks to Vexorian who helped me learn jass, the real jass and always helped me when problems occured, I would call him somehow my mentor. Pipedream, who made amazing Grimoire and helped me acclerating my map (currently at 99% finished, no developement atm).

Vote for Linux Ports in general of Blizzard products: http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ibpfl/
BertTheJasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:32 AM   #13
blu_da_noob
Nonchalant

Respected User

Submissions (2)

You could store the number of units in the spiral separately (instead of counting the units in a group).