wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Ghost Forums > Map Database
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 09-02-2006, 07:38 PM   #1
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Tools & Tutorials Moderator

Submissions (12)

PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)

Approved Map: Pitzer's Minesweeper

Default (12) Pitzer's Minesweeper [Pre-1.24]

What is this?

This is a remake of the classic Minesweeper game.
The object of Minesweeper is to locate all the mines in a mine field as quickly as possible without uncovering any of them. If you uncover a mine you lose the game. To uncover a square left-click it. If a number appears on the square it indicates how many mines are in the eight squares that surround it.

What's new?

This version adds a multiplayer option for up to 12 players to the game.
In this mode you receive points for uncovering squares.
Here's the formula:
  • Uncovering a number: +(the number you uncovered)
  • Uncovering an empty slot: +(the highest number that got uncovered along with it)
  • Uncovering the last number in the game: +10
  • Uncovering a mine: back to 0

Thanks
  • RodOfNOD: For art and game interface help.
  • Karukef and Jacek: For a quick beta test.
  • Tim, Blade: For bugging me to finally release this :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg minesweeper.jpg (5.7 KB, 1121 views)
File Type: gif easy.gif (26.0 KB, 1029 views)
File Type: gif intermediate.gif (55.9 KB, 758 views)
File Type: gif difficult.gif (61.7 KB, 1009 views)
Attached Files
File Type: w3x (12)Pitzer's-Minesweeper-v1.0b.w3x (38.7 KB, 1169 views)
Old 09-02-2006, 07:47 PM   #2
Blade.dk

Respected User

Submissions (15)

Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)

Approved Map: Azeroth's Arcane ArenaSpell session 01 winner

Send a message via MSN to Blade.dk

I remember playing this map like a year ago :P.

Well, it's a great map.
  • I don't know if I can call it original as it is a remake of the game, but I haven't ever seen this done in wc3 before.
  • It is really well made - It's easy to learn, and it looks very professional.
  • I have not tried playing it in multiplayer, but assuming it works, it's a great feature that can make the game even more interesting.

I don't have the time to write a longer review of it now, sorry, but it has my full approval. Nice map.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:58 AM   #3
Captain Griffen
Dread Lord of the Cookies

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)

Approved Map: Warlords[Quicksilver #2] - 1st Place

Very nice and polished map, though I need to play it online still.

Anyway, what is up with the interface? It has this swirl that just abruptly stops. It looks really bad, in my opinion, so I'd say change it to something that doesn't run over the edge of the interface.

Also, the highscores are the same for all difficulties. Individual highscore-boards for each difficulties would be nice.

However, a more fundamental problem is that you are doing the mine locations at the start I think, while Minesweeper does it on the fly for at least the first one. This means you will never lose in Minesweeper on your first guess, I think it is also reduced chance on your second, though that one is purely anecdotal and not well tested.

Nice map though.
Quote:
[13:32] <Akolyt0r> hmm.. stil i want to have some unused women
Captain Griffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:11 AM   #4
Tim.
Missing You All at Wc3c

Site Owner

Submissions (18)

Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)

Approved Map: PiratesSpell making session 3 winner

It's about time you got this map uploaded. When did I ask you to do it? Like 2 months ago? =P.

Full admin approval.

Avast! Seen Pirates? Get it here!
Tim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:07 AM   #5
blu_da_noob
Nonchalant

Respected User

Submissions (2)

blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)

[Quicksilver #2] - 2nd Place[Quicksilver#1] 1st place

Send a message via MSN to blu_da_noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Griffen
However, a more fundamental problem is that you are doing the mine locations at the start I think, while Minesweeper does it on the fly for at least the first one. This means you will never lose in Minesweeper on your first guess, I think it is also reduced chance on your second, though that one is purely anecdotal and not well tested.

Are you sure? I don't play minesweeper much, and I don't pay much attention, but I seem to recall losing on the first block. I may very well be wrong though.

Edit: After some quick testing you appear to be correct. Never noticed that before :P. Perhaps they just create all the mines and set everything up when you first click, removing the clicked block from possible mine selectoin first.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:41 AM   #6
BertTheJasser
xyzi - our universe

Submissions (2)

BertTheJasser has a spectacular aura about (111)BertTheJasser has a spectacular aura about (111)BertTheJasser has a spectacular aura about (111)BertTheJasser has a spectacular aura about (111)

Great Map. Would +rep you again, if I could.
Special thanks to Vexorian who helped me learn jass, the real jass and always helped me when problems occured, I would call him somehow my mentor. Pipedream, who made amazing Grimoire and helped me acclerating my map (currently at 99% finished, no developement atm).

Vote for Linux Ports in general of Blizzard products: http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ibpfl/
BertTheJasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 11:54 AM   #7
buttoxide
User

buttoxide has little to show at this moment (4)

Erm... I have an embarassing problem.

I'm trying the start the game up on LAN, but I get the error message that All Players are on the same Team and so the game cannot start. Yet me and my friend can only select team 1!

Am I doing something wrong here?

My only regret in map-making is that I didn't learn JASS earlier.
buttoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 01:03 PM   #8
Daelin
Kelani Mage

Submissions (48)

Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)

Hero Contest - First place

Great. However, there are some stuff that your game lacks compared to the original.

1. First field is never a bomb. I have the feeling that the original game created the minefields AFTER you selected the first field.
2. In the actual game (I doubt this is possible here but what the heck) if you clicked with both left and right button on a field around which you already marked the possible bombs (exact number, not more and not less) the rest of the fields around it would be automatically filled. If your guess was wrong and you marked non-bomb fields, you lose. ;)

That's kinda all I have to comment by now. Except that, very nice. :)

~Daelin

Daelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:07 PM   #9
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

It would be much better than the ms version if it automatically freed the biggest group of blank squares and their sorrounding squares. Instead of just making sure the first one is neve a bomb.
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Vexorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:35 PM   #10
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Submissions (12)

PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)

Thanks for the feedback.
I've fixed the 1 team problem of buttoxide, I had forgotten it needs at least 2 teams.
Also it now places the mines after the first click like it is in the original minesweeper, that way the first click will never uncover a mine.

However, Daelin, in warcraft you can't detect left+right click, so that's not going to be possible. I've always considered this method cheating anyway.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #11
blu_da_noob
Nonchalant

Respected User

Submissions (2)

blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)blu_da_noob is just really nice (398)

[Quicksilver #2] - 2nd Place[Quicksilver#1] 1st place

Send a message via MSN to blu_da_noob

Vex actually has a nice idea there, but it might take too much effort (:P). Perhaps what you could do instead, is just ensure that the first selected block is in the middle of a blank area. Just remove the block and the 8 around it from possible mine selection.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #12
Callahan
Bullseye

Submissions (72)

Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)

From a moder point of view this map is full of genius.
But from a player point of view,we all get this game on windows

_________
I support every RPG map maker.
_______
OMG!My signature doesn't countains subliminal messages anymore!
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:12 PM   #13
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Submissions (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan
From a moder point of view this map is full of genius.
But from a player point of view,we all get this game on windows

Yeah, that's probably true :)
Some people might learn something from it, others might at least find the multiplayer part fun.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:51 AM   #14
PhoenixFeather
User

PhoenixFeather has little to show at this moment (7)

This map is sweet. I haven't tried it in multiplayer yet but it's great even in singleplayer.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:06 PM   #15
Daelin
Kelani Mage

Submissions (48)

Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)

Hero Contest - First place

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitzerMike
However, Daelin, in warcraft you can't detect left+right click, so that's not going to be possible.

Then, left-clicking on an already uncovered square should do it.

~Daelin

Daelin is offline   Reply With Quote