wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > Tutorials for beginners
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 08-28-2006, 08:41 PM   #1
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)

Approved Map: When the Freedom Slips Away

Send a message via MSN to Rao Dao Zao
Default The Noob's Guide to Announcer Voices

The Noob's Guide to Announcer Voices

Or Beyond Sound Recorder

By Rao Dao Zao

Using sounds ripped from Unreal Tournament (Original, 2003/4 or other) is not big, and it's not clever. Just because DotA (apparently) did it doesn't make it right. Especially when the tools exist for you to quickly and easily create your own announcer sounds.

No matter the state of your vocal cords, we can create a decent sounding announcer with tailor-made lines in a matter of minutes.

You will need:
- A microphone
- WavePad (http://nch.com.au/wavepad/index.html)
- The capability to produce sounds that can be recognised as words by passing air through your vocal cords and shaping your tongue

Let us begin…

Click "New File" or go to "File -> New File…"
Zoom (requires log in)
Or
Zoom (requires log in)

You’ll see something like this, but with different settings:
Zoom (requires log in)
We want the settings shown there (22050, mono) because that’s a low enough quality that we’ll get a low filesize, but without lowering it so the sound is consumed.

Now that is done, we are displayed with a “blank canvas” – and we are ready to get recording.

Press the “record” button.
Zoom (requires log in)

Now, unless you’ve been messing around and set up your microphone stuff already (if you have, it’ll start recording instantly; hit stop and press the back to start button), then you’ll see this:
Zoom (requires log in)

Since I’m a crazy foo’ with a microphone on his webcam, I set it up thus:
Zoom (requires log in)

If you’re using an old-style microphone right out of the microphone socket, I believe you use “[Default Sound In]” at “Microphone”. But don’t quote me on that. You’ll have to choose options appropriate to your system. Of course, if you don’t get any sound recording, do mess with the settings.

Also make sure the recording volume is high. You need to be able to speak evenly without shouting or whispering at the microphone.

When you’re ready, hit record – and speak. Just speak. Put on a stupid WOARGH voice if you want. Don’t worry if your voice hasn’t broken yet either – we’re using WavePad here for a reason. More on that later.

Some tips on vocal recordings:
  • Don’t talk too loudly, but don’t talk to quietly either. When you’re done recording, you want the tips on that wave to be as even as they can be.
  • Don’t be embarrassed. Either wait until everyone is out, and/or lock your computer room door with a “do not disturb” sign outside. If you’re serious about mapping, and doing it well, you must make sacrifices. And anyway, there's nothing shameful about your voice - it's what you do with it that can be dangerous.
  • Speak as clearly as you can. Regional accents can be fun, but don’t take them too far or your audience won’t know what the hell you’re announcing.
  • Reduce the background noise as much as possible. If somebody is sanding the floors next door, maybe wait until their done. If you have to have some music on, make sure the volume is verrrry low. You’re allowed a measure of background noise, but the less the better.
  • These tips are mostly compiled from my own experiences, so do chip in if you find a good one.

When you’re done talking, hit the stop button and close (Zoom (requires log in)) the record window. What ho! Our blank canvas has filled with beautiful audio!

Since this is a tutorial, I have to provide some samples to illustrate the system. So before we get to editing, I’m going reveal to you the shape and the power of my voice and how great it is. Right.

For the purposes of this tutorial, I will be saying "I am the alpha and the omega." How modest.

I sound rubbish, it’s true.

It might take a few tries to get a statement as level as that while injecting the appropriate amount of commentator passion, so don’t hesitate to spend all night talking to yourself.

Before we go anywhere, you’ll need to trim off the excess noise from the start and end of the sound. Always record this excess so you don’t cut yourself off, but here we can chop it all just right.

Zoom (requires log in)

Left-click and drag to select the areas of nonsense, and simply hit the “delete” key.

Now, we need to “normalise” the sound. This evens out the volume a bit, so it will be consistent across many sounds.

Effects -> Normalise
Zoom (requires log in)
Zoom (requires log in)

Go in at 75%; this is a good solid level for wc3 use. If it isn’t because you have a thumping heavy-metal sound track to your map, then go up to 100% (or somewhere in-between), or, use the “amplify” tool to big it up. But don’t come crying to me when you get nasty clipping clicks.

The first step to making an announcer voice like UT is deepening it. I’m far too high pitched to get the resonance an announcer needs, so we shall use the “Constant Speed and Pitch Change” tool.
Zoom (requires log in)

Now, at this point you’ll have to play around with just how much you want to change the pitch, depending on the state of your voice. For my sample, I went in at 75.

Zoom (requires log in)

This is how it sounds. Cool, huh?

Well, we’re half-way there. We have a nice solid voice, maybe I need to inject a bit more passion, but we’ll leave it for now.

The next step to out UT-ish announcer is a very slight echo. Why? It sounds cool, that’s why.

Zoom (requires log in)

You can play around with echo settings for interesting styles (short length and high gain for tinny robots, *wink*), but what we need is just a tiny little echo for effect. I went for 40 and 40.
Zoom (requires log in)

The difference is very slight, but it adds a certain something to the voice that is otherwise lacking.

The final sound.

Now, we are ready to save.

File -> Save As…
Zoom (requires log in)

Thus concludes our announcing for the night. You can, of course, play around with any/all of the settings I showed depending on your tastes and your voice.

Epilogue

Good luck, and have fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_NewFile1.jpg (1.4 KB, 1813 views)
File Type: jpg 2_NewFile2.jpg (4.2 KB, 1758 views)
File Type: jpg 3_NewFile3.jpg (10.9 KB, 946 views)
File Type: jpg 4_Record.jpg (1.4 KB, 1761 views)
File Type: jpg 5_RecordControl.jpg (32.0 KB, 947 views)
File Type: jpg 6_RecordControl2.jpg (9.2 KB, 952 views)
File Type: jpg 7_X.jpg (802 Bytes, 1752 views)
File Type: jpg 8_NewWave1.jpg (19.6 KB, 934 views)
File Type: jpg 9_Normalise1.jpg (6.2 KB, 912 views)
File Type: jpg 10_Normalise2.jpg (11.0 KB, 910 views)
File Type: jpg 11_PitchChange1.jpg (22.5 KB, 915 views)
File Type: jpg 12_PitchChange2.jpg (10.7 KB, 912 views)
File Type: jpg 13_Echo1.jpg (9.0 KB, 899 views)
File Type: jpg 13_Echo2.jpg (14.9 KB, 897 views)
File Type: jpg 14_Save.jpg (8.3 KB, 887 views)
Old 08-29-2006, 01:05 AM   #2
Tim.
Missing You All at Wc3c

Site Owner

Submissions (18)

Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)

Approved Map: PiratesSpell making session 3 winner

I hear. I approve.

Avast! Seen Pirates? Get it here!
Tim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:17 PM   #3
Freakazoid
I love you all.

Submissions (14)

Freakazoid is a jewel in the rough (159)Freakazoid is a jewel in the rough (159)

xaxa, havent tested it yet. But rep+!

btw, I wont post anymore! 1337 number of posts -.-

Last edited by Freakazoid : 08-29-2006 at 01:18 PM.
Freakazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:29 PM   #4
PhoenixFeather
User

PhoenixFeather has little to show at this moment (7)

Looks sweet. I'm probably going to use it.

Quote:
btw, I wont post anymore! 1337 number of posts -.-

Take a screenshot and get over it :)
Old 09-12-2006, 03:50 AM   #6
Darthfett
User

Darthfett has little to show at this moment (8)

Awesome tutorial, and the program is handy! :)
Darthfett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:51 PM   #7
abriko
User

Submissions (22)

abriko is a jewel in the rough (159)abriko is a jewel in the rough (159)

Nice... but links of sounds doesn't work....
Old 09-12-2006, 01:12 PM   #8
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)

Approved Map: When the Freedom Slips Away

Send a message via MSN to Rao Dao Zao

Right-click and save as.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
tszho
User

tszho has little to show at this moment (0)

save as what?
tszho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:20 PM   #10
creyzi4zb12
User

creyzi4zb12 has little to show at this moment (0)

Ima try this one out. Do usb's do the job for this?...you know...recording stuff.
creyzi4zb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:09 PM   #11
Whitehorn
SPOON!

Respected User

Submissions (114)

Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)

Sounds no worky

Be excellent to each other.
Whitehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #12
Jimmarn
User

Jimmarn has little to show at this moment (0)

€œdelete€ key.

There's theese weird letter's everywhere you've posted characters! makes it alittle difficult to read. it's supposed to be "delete" for those who don't figure..

(if i'm right tho :P) Really handy program too....

Just wondered, what do i save as? wav?

Last edited by Jimmarn : 02-11-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Jimmarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:32 PM   #13
killer1390
User

killer1390 has little to show at this moment (0)

Thumbs up WOW THIS IS NICE

Very nice indeedy i made my voice sound like my uncles and its because of you thanks!
killer1390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #14
BuRnInSpartan
User

BuRnInSpartan is on a distinguished road (21)

finally

Terrain: 0000000000
Units: 0000000000
Spells: 0000000000
Triggers: 0000000000
BuRnInSpartan is offline   Reply With Quote