wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Resources > Code Resources > Spells
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 07-22-2006, 05:20 PM   #1
Daelin
Kelani Mage

Submissions (48)

Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)

Hero Contest - First place

Default Retribution Aura

I haven't posted any new spells lately, because I've worked intensely on RotHE material. But since I started making spells for RotHE, I thought to make another special public spell as well. Here it is!

Retribution Aura: If an unit under the aura is directly stroke by an enemy spell, then all units under the aura lose 5% of their mana points. Part of the resulting mana causes either damage, mana loss, or a chance to silence the enemy unit for a short duration.

Note: If unit is under the effect of multiple auras, then the aura with the most mana is chosen.

Enjoy and place your comments! The model of the aura has been posted at the gallery, but is included into the map as well... I hope nobody minds, it's very small.

~Daelin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Retribution.jpg (155.1 KB, 848 views)
Attached Files
File Type: w3x Retribution Aura.w3x (80.3 KB, 409 views)

Last edited by Daelin : 07-23-2006 at 07:53 AM.
Daelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 07-22-2006, 07:36 PM   #2
Archian
Dark & Ominous

Project Leader: LoC

Submissions (27)

Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)

Useful in some maps, well done.
However, you shouldn't have made all those Banshees, they're immune to spells
Archian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:40 PM   #3
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

The spell and code themselves are good.

only issues:
- The banshees made it hard for me to test it, for one second I thought it wasn't working, had to find the enemy sorcs and saw the real effect of the aura. Maybe replace the banshees with those creeps that love to cast spells on units?
- The model seemed too shiny for an aura model, not a big deal but that's too flashy in my opinion.

Anyways approving
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Vexorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:43 PM   #4
PipeDream

Code Moderator

Submissions (6)

PipeDream is a glorious beacon of light (463)PipeDream is a glorious beacon of light (463)PipeDream is a glorious beacon of light (463)PipeDream is a glorious beacon of light (463)

This lags something awful, and not just on first cast.
"stroke" -> "struck"
traditional tag text for mana burn is a blue
TriggerSleepAction is only remotely useful as "TriggerSleepAction(0.)" and it shows
your probabilities are not probabilities. "GetRandomInt(0,100)<= Retribution_RootPercentage()*damage" Huh? Well at least explain how it works at the declaration of Retribution_RootPercentage. also change GetRandomInt to GetRandomReal
I don't think I saw silence fire once, are you sure it works?
"call GroupEnumUnitsInRange(g, GetUnitX(aux), GetUnitY(aux), area, Condition(function Retribution_IsCaster))" leaks a boolexpr. there are a couple instances of this.
"if AuxX*AuxX-AuxY*AuxY <= area*area then" -> "if AuxX*AuxX+AuxY*AuxY <= area*area then"
BTW, set p = null is unnecessary, as one does not create or destroy players.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:46 PM   #5
Daelin
Kelani Mage

Submissions (48)

Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexorian
Maybe replace the banshees with those creeps that love to cast spells on units?

Sure... I'll do that in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexorian
The model seemed too shiny for an aura model, not a big deal but that's too flashy in my opinion.

Actually, that can be replaced. :)

Old 07-22-2006, 08:55 PM   #6
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)

ouch fix the leaks. I did not experience lag, pipedream although my uber comp is probably to blame for that ...
Faster != more useful
Old 07-23-2006, 07:46 AM   #7
Daelin
Kelani Mage

Submissions (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDream

"call GroupEnumUnitsInRange(g, GetUnitX(aux), GetUnitY(aux), area, Condition(function Retribution_IsCaster))" leaks a boolexpr. there are a couple instances of this.
"if AuxX*AuxX-AuxY*AuxY <= area*area then" -> "if AuxX*AuxX+AuxY*AuxY <= area*area then"
BTW, set p = null is unnecessary, as one does not create or destroy players.

Hmm... I did not experience lag either. Oh well, I'll try to see what I can do about it.

Quote:
traditional tag text for mana burn is a blue
Yes, but this is not mana burn. The damage taken and mana loss are independent. It can hit units which cast abilities that require no mana, and they have practically no mana. It will deal only damage, and do a possible silence. This is practically my tag, not using or simulating Mana Burn tag.

[quote=PipeDream]TriggerSleepAction is only remotely useful as "TriggerSleepAction(0.)" and it shows your probabilities are not probabilities.[/QUOTE
I don't get what you mean by "my probabilities are not probabilities".

Quote:
"GetRandomInt(0,100)<= Retribution_RootPercentage()*damage" Huh?
damage variable stores the percentage of mana used in the effect of the spell. For example, for the first level, percentage is 15%. That means that 15% of the mana gathered is dealt in damage, 15% represents the mana loss, and the rest 15% of the mana amount multiplied with Retribution_RootPercentage() is the chance of success... Pretty simple.

Quote:
also change GetRandomInt to GetRandomReal
Oops, forgot to do that. Thanks!

Quote:
I don't think I saw silence fire once, are you sure it works?
I'm certain about this. I tested the spell A LOT!

Quote:
"call GroupEnumUnitsInRange(g, GetUnitX(aux), GetUnitY(aux), area, Condition(function Retribution_IsCaster))" leaks a boolexpr.
Do boolexpr leak? Hmm... Is that because of the Condition() function which returns a boolexpr? If so, then yes, I understand and I will change this nevertheless. Thanks for pointing it out! This may be the cause of the lag?!

Done with the rest of the stuff as well! And it's strange that the spell lags. I tried to avoid using any kind of missiles (replaced missiles with Shadow Strike and lightnings wih Chain Lightning) because I know that usually Blizzard stuff are faster. Hmm... This never happened to me before, to experince lag at such a spell. Tell me if it is better now.

~Daelin

Last edited by Daelin : 07-23-2006 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:03 PM   #8
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Yes boolexprs leak . It should be the cause of the lag. But well sometimes lag is caused by the eye candy and the slowness of JASS
Faster != more useful
Old 07-23-2006, 04:30 PM   #9
emjlr3
Rehabbing

Submissions (14)

emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)

Mapping Contest First Place

Send a message via AIM to emjlr3 Send a message via MSN to emjlr3

i experienced no lag at all, nice spell btw and neat aura model
Old 07-23-2006, 07:38 PM   #10
PipeDream

Code Moderator

Submissions (6)

PipeDream is a glorious beacon of light (463)PipeDream is a glorious beacon of light (463)PipeDream is a glorious beacon of light (463)PipeDream is a glorious beacon of light (463)

I spike whenever I rush a group of enemy sorcs with all 11 friendly sorcs and Jaina. It's repeatable.
Quote:
I don't get what you mean by "my probabilities are not probabilities".
That's two separate quotes. TriggerSleepAction means timing is inconsistent and will work differently on bnet than your singleplayer testing. Timers are needed for reliability for such short delays. Maybe whatever is triggersleepactioned doesn't need precision, but I suspect that is not the case due to the comments.
By percentage I mean you're doing something probabilistic (GetRandomReal(0,100)) but on the right you've got something that is dependent on configuration stuff and can exceed 100. Probability is dimensionless, so your dimensioned configuration will change it in non obvious ways (don't have spell open atm).
Quote:
This may be the cause of the lag?!
No, it's not something that builds up, it's computational spike-probably eye candy as vex suggests. Cleaning the leak can only make it worse in the short term.