wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Triggers & Scripts
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: Who deserves to win this session?
Rising_Dusk 15 88.24%
sheep.spirit 0 0%
rulerofiron99 2 11.76%
Alevice 0 0%
Naakaloh 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2006, 07:22 PM   #1
Blade.dk

Respected User

Submissions (15)

Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)

Approved Map: Azeroth's Arcane ArenaSpell session 01 winner

Send a message via MSN to Blade.dk
Default Spell Making Session 6 Voting

Here's the entries for the 6th spell making session - Awesome as usual.

Table:

(Spell Making Session 6 Thread)

Please post a top 3 list of which spells you like most, and why you like them most. Even though the session has a poll, the poll won't decide the winner, if nobody posts good reasons. Reasons means more than the poll.

Last day to vote and post reasons is tuesday the 18th of june.

Good luck, everybody!

P.S.: Sorry for the delay.
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 07-13-2006, 07:39 PM   #2
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

#1: rulerofiron99

I actually was quite surprised by this spell.
To be fair, it ran really smoothly, I could see it fitting into lots of types of maps, and it was a fireworks show with all of those floating texts going off left and right. To be fair, I rank usability as a must, and this spell simply stands out from the crowd in that regard. I only fear you might conflict with the max floating texts in a map if you use another floaters in the map. However, it's a subliminal problem really. I just really liked the spell; I do wish you'd explain it a bit better though. Also, allow the user to level up the spell on his own, it lets him check if the leveling system works.
Well done, Ruler.

#2: Naakaloh

Who can't like a matrix spell? :D
To be fair, I felt the spell was really fun to use and I just enjoyed taking over a whole community of critters. However, I feel it might be a smidge restrictive in map types that could run it; for example an AoS map might not really appreciate whole spawns being turned to copies of himself, no matter what sort of cooldown/mana cost you gave it.
Either way, I can't deny how excellently made the spell is, and I truly enjoyed wandering around and casting it in the dummy map.
(I seriously blew like half an hour in it)

#3: sheep.spirit

Another excellently coded spell in the contest.
I was quite impressed by the actual usefulness of the spell once I finally figured out how it worked (Might consider making it easier to follow before submitting it after the contest). I only fear that I hate dialogue box things. They are such a bother to use mid-combat, or mid-anytime-not-single-player in that case. Aside from that, I loved the spell.
Well done! ^_^

Another fun contest, though granted a copy theme was pretty tough to work with I'm glad I got to participate.
Lots of great entries all leading to lots of great fun.

Last edited by Rising_Dusk : 07-13-2006 at 07:41 PM.
Rising_Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:40 PM   #3
nooK
n1nja

nooK will become famous soon enough (30)nooK will become famous soon enough (30)

Some interesting spells this time:

1) Rising_Dusk - Wow, very nice spell perfect for an illusion hero. This spell looks cool, is unique, can be used for many things and has superb code

2) Naakaloh - Also cool, nice idea, but I think it´s not so useable. Nevertheless great work

3) sheep spirit - Also very good, the saving is awesome, maybe not so many usses here and it has dialogs (it has too), but well done
nooK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
Hemlock
user

Hemlock will become famous soon enough (70)Hemlock will become famous soon enough (70)Hemlock will become famous soon enough (70)

Send a message via AIM to Hemlock

Ouch, I didn't make it, almost done :S.... ohw well next time Better I guess.

1st - Rising_Dusk -
Very creative and works exelent.
Although the order that they change seems to be the same everytime you start the ability again, its a very neat spell.
The pathing seems to be correct when the copy themselves, so they cannot get stuck.
A very cool and inovative spell globally seen.

2nd - Rulerofiron -
Like rising_dusk mentioned, the eye appeal is just great and the ability runs really smooth and could be used on multiple maps on multi occasions.
The level up system was a keen plan, as well as the floating was, although they might be a tad overdone =P

3rd - sheep.spirit -
Awesome spells as well, I can see the tremendous amounts of time that went in here as well as dedication and that just hit the spot for me as well, the ability itself is nicely done, although I feel that in the end you might get a bit too much copies and in multiplayer maps you would could not use this in combat since the game will not freeze I presume?
Nonetheless creative and refreshing it is =)

It's been a real pleasure seeing all these entries, and although I did not make it (kinda wasted my time there =P) I really enjoyed making the spell so far, and I kinda am lookig forward to show my face in the next contest as well =)

Last edited by Hemlock : 07-13-2006 at 08:04 PM.
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 04:38 PM   #5
rulerofiron99
User

rulerofiron99 will become famous soon enough (61)rulerofiron99 will become famous soon enough (61)rulerofiron99 will become famous soon enough (61)

#1: Rising Dusk.

Great idea, great execution, great eye appeal, great fun, good terrain

#2: rulerofiron99

#3: Naakaloh

Q: Whats better than agent smith running around killing ppl?
A: 100 agent smiths running around killing ppl!
rulerofiron99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:38 PM   #6
Alevice
It feels good

Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)

1.- Rising_Dusk. The most practical in many cases, and reminds me of those old boss battles where you have to figure out which one was the real boss. The presentation was superb as well.
2.- rulerofiron99. Pretty useful against [relatively] large armies massing towards a single unit. The only thing I don't like is the fact that a hero icon shows up for each of the images. People like me rely on those icons many times to keep track of my actual heroes and their locations.
3.- sheep.spirit. Shang Tsung meets warcraft 3! I really like the concept, and could have had a higher rank if it weren't for the use of dialogs. It really can slow down gameplay, and that's not a good thing. Maybe if the selection was done on the command card...

Alevice.jones is SC2 Beta, losers.

Check out my never updated deviantart gallery!!

Kalimdor Raiders (Race Contest #1) Pastebin Page
Cavern Crawlers (Race Contest #2) Pastebin Page
Airship Race Motherfuckers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://ajaxian.com/archives/would-you-like-a-_-with-that-new-library-gives-js-what-it-should-have#comment-276203
- Dont solve problems that dont exist.
- Improve the wheel, dont reinvent it.
- Port the wheel if it doesnt exist in your environment.
- Integrate the wheel into your project.
- Make sure you can replace your wooden wheel for a rubber one if someone else invents it.
Alevice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
DioD
obey

Submissions (4)

DioD is a jewel in the rough (220)DioD is a jewel in the rough (220)DioD is a jewel in the rough (220)DioD is a jewel in the rough (220)

Send a message via ICQ to DioD

Rising_Dusk
Great spell ,exelent coded.
Usefull in both RPG and aos games.

sheep.spirit
Great system, exelent coded, but this is cannot be called spell.
Is too slow to use in multiplayer maps.

rulerofiron99
Great spell , but GUI based.
GUI is good, but jass coded spells need much more work to be done.

Alevice
Can be used only inside RPG maps.

Naakaloh
Cannot be used ni multiplayer maps, impossible to balance.

Last edited by DioD : 07-17-2006 at 05:32 AM.
DioD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:20 PM   #8
rulerofiron99
User

rulerofiron99 will become famous soon enough (61)rulerofiron99 will become famous soon enough (61)rulerofiron99 will become famous soon enough (61)

i cant believe this... you say "good spell, but GUI coded?"

this is what really pisses me off. all you jass maniacs think that nothing can be good if it isnt in jass. well it can. all of those great maps, guess what, they're all in gui. and they work fine. well sure jass has more advanced things, but whats the point of those advanced things? it doesnt help much. besides, there's also custom script for cleaning memory leaks, so you cant blame gui for lag.

i dont care if u put my spell last or first or whatever, give a better reason thats all. like "good spell, but maybe you should have made it so that it doesnt only work for one hero?" or "that spell sucked balls."
/off topic
rulerofiron99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:41 PM   #9
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Quote:
#1: rulerofiron99

I actually was quite surprised by this spell.
To be fair, it ran really smoothly, I could see it fitting into lots of types of maps, and it was a fireworks show with all of those floating texts going off left and right. To be fair, I rank usability as a must, and this spell simply stands out from the crowd in that regard. I only fear you might conflict with the max floating texts in a map if you use another floaters in the map. However, it's a subliminal problem really. I just really liked the spell; I do wish you'd explain it a bit better though. Also, allow the user to level up the spell on his own, it lets him check if the leveling system works.
Well done, Ruler.

It's too bad I write only in jass and that's how I ranked your spell for ALL of those reasons.
I think you're overreacting, I could list hundreds of ways of why jass is superior, but I won't. This contest is about the spell and whether you like it or not, using gui or jass is a PART of the spell, which means you CAN be rated better or worse based on which you use and the opinions of people.

Case and point.
Let's get back on topic.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:14 PM   #10
Alevice
It feels good

Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)

Man, my system was considered useless >_<;

Alevice.jones is SC2 Beta, losers.

Check out my never updated deviantart gallery!!

Kalimdor Raiders (Race Contest #1) Pastebin Page
Cavern Crawlers (Race Contest #2) Pastebin Page
Airship Race Motherfuckers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://ajaxian.com/archives/would-you-like-a-_-with-that-new-library-gives-js-what-it-should-have#comment-276203
- Dont solve problems that dont exist.
- Improve the wheel, dont reinvent it.
- Port the wheel if it doesnt exist in your environment.
- Integrate the wheel into your project.
- Make sure you can replace your wooden wheel for a rubber one if someone else invents it.
Alevice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:44 PM   #11
Fulla
Evil Overlord

Submissions (3)

Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)

Well I have to agree. Saying good spell but its in gui its lame way to rate.

If you said it is not multi instaceable or something like that then yea fair point.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:56 PM   #12
Naakaloh
User

Submissions (2)

Naakaloh is a jewel in the rough (155)Naakaloh is a jewel in the rough (155)

Spell Making Session 09 WinnerSpell Making Session 05 Winner

Send a message via AIM to Naakaloh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DioD
Naakaloh
Useless in multiplayer

Not useless, difficult to balance :P.

Anyway....

1) Rising_Dusk - Domino Theory
Excellent spell, once again a simple spell that has it all, useability, creativity, and elegance. It's a very Blizzard-esque defensive spell with the added benefit of not needing to worry about giving up your location.

2) rulerofiron99 - Soulsplit
Suprisingly well done and useful, though I imagine there could be several improvements if rewritten in JASS :P (Sorry, being biased, but I can't help it so much more effective and efficient spells can be written with it.). I highly recommend learning it unless for some reason it would kill you to do so.

3) Alevice - Ego Split
Perhaps I'll get some curious looks from this placement, but I definitely think Alevice's idea was worth looking into. The idea of a treed version of "Storm, Earth, and Fire" dependent on the unit type would be an interesting concept to pursue.

Notes about other spells:

sheep.spirit - Copy Cat: I don't know why, but the entire dialogue thing simply did not appeal to me, I'm just not a fan of dialogues, but other than that it seemed to be well-conceived.

My spell - Copy: I feel like my spell's potential after being balanced was underestimated; it provides several options to the user for modifying the copies, the chance of copying, if units are returned after copying, and the duration of copies if any. Rising_Dusk, it was actually designed for the AoS that I'm working on because it is such a challenge to balance, but that's true for any hero-duplicating spell, just look at how Sashi's Symphony of Swords has changed through the different versions of ToB. But in the case of Copy, I'm guessing time and testing will tell if I'm right about it.

Last edited by Naakaloh : 07-16-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Naakaloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:52 PM   #13
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

I can see what you mean.
After playing around in the testmap some more, I can see your point of view.

I still think it's sketchy (It's usability), but I think if enough time were put into balance it could be worked out for sure.
There is a reason it was one of the top in my list. :P

(By the way, I noticed you got your pretty Spell Session 5 icon, it looks really cool)
Old 07-16-2006, 07:13 PM   #14
Naakaloh
User

Submissions (2)

Naakaloh is a jewel in the rough (155)Naakaloh is a jewel in the rough (155)

Spell Making Session 09 WinnerSpell Making Session 05 Winner

Send a message via AIM to Naakaloh

Sketchy... haha... one of my favorite adjectives... :P

I was so excited to make Copy when the theme was announced because it seemed perfect for my map. It's taken quite a bit of tweaking and I think I might have a solution, but I can't be sure; as I said, it will probably take a lot of testing and there's quite a bit of work since only 3 heroes are completed.

(About the icon, yeah, the art people did a nice job with it; I look forward to seeing yours since the winner seems quite obvious for this session.)
Old 07-17-2006, 01:47 PM   #15
sheep.spirit
User

Submissions (1)

sheep.spirit is on a distinguished road (21)

I see dialogs are not very well recieved, lol. CAnt seem to figure out another way to do the spell.

anyways

1st rising_dusk
nice efects, spell idea, great code

2nd rulerofiron99
another nice one as well, GUI is abit harder to understand, but this is not a reason why it is my no 2 on the list. Exellently coded, but i felt that rsiing_dusk's spell had more appeal

3rd ummm.... Naakaloh
cant seem to figure out which one's third, if my dialogs are inferior, but i think i had tried my best to make dialogs simple and bugless lol. Matrix spell, lol, neat spell, but maybe little lacking in the imagination department

I am hoping that i can be more well know somehow, somewhere and some...WHAT?

PS: i am in no way affiliated to sheep.slayer lol

Random Fact of the day: if you look into the submitted resources, you will find mine under the least views, sigh, no one cares about other map makers other than blade, vex, dae and some other random guys... SAD
sheep.spirit is offline   Reply With Quote