wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Triggers & Scripts
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: Who deserves to win this session?
Fulla 1 8.33%
emjlr3 1 8.33%
Naakaloh 7 58.33%
Rising_Dusk 2 16.67%
Soulprovider 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2006, 10:43 PM   #1
Blade.dk

Respected User

Submissions (15)

Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)

Approved Map: Azeroth's Arcane ArenaSpell session 01 winner

Send a message via MSN to Blade.dk
Default Spell Making Session 5 Voting

Here's the entries for the 5th spell making session - Awesome as usual.

Table:
User/Download linkScreenshot
FullaZoom
emjlr3Zoom (requires log in)
NaakalohZoom (requires log in)
Rising_DuskZoom (requires log in)
SoulproviderZoom (requires log in)

(Spell Making Session 5 Thread)

Please post a top 3 list of which spells you like most, and why you like them most. Even though the session has a poll, the poll won't decide the winner, if nobody posts good reasons. Reasons means more than the poll.

Last day to vote and post reasons is monday the 26th of june.

Good luck, everybody!
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 06-21-2006, 01:01 AM   #2
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

#1 Naakaloh:

I really feel like this is just the best spell in the contest. I like the idea of taking life from allies and converting it to damage, even though the conversion was a bit high (That's what those constants are for :P). The spell was well coded and very nicely done with the tornado dark orb projectile effects, but really I just found it pretty.

To be fair, I wasn't a super huge fan of pausing the allied units. I would have liked it more if it would just drain the life of any allied units in the area, not the ones there when it was cast. To me, in actual play enemies could just attack the sacrifices and end the spell prematurely. I think if perhaps it just picked the units every check of the timer and then ended prematurely if no sacrifices were there, then it would be better.

It would still be harvesting life as a resource, but would be more flexible.

#2 Fulla:

Sure it was a bit buggy, but it was a cool spell.
The idea of harvesting enemy life for a superpowered summon was a very neat idea, and had the lightning worked everytime it would have been very cool.
I just think you should look into debugging it (And maybe converting it to jass and optimizing it).
Then it would be awesome.

#3 emjlr3:

It's a corpse explosion.
Not the most innovative of ideas, but it is well made and with some interesting tweaks. I think it would be neat in an AoS, if you could fix the bug that allowed it to be cast on already removed corpses (That was a big bleh thing for me).
Well done, though!

All in all, another happy and successful Spell Session. ^_^
OD v0.10x Download

Coming soon eventually...

Personal To-Do List:
ICARUS
Aot3

WC3C Chat
Chat IP: 66.103.20.109
Earthbound 2 in English
vJass Manual

"DAMAGE_TYPE_POISON motherfucker!" ~Anitarf
Rising_Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:56 AM   #3
Deathlust
User

Deathlust has little to show at this moment (1)

Send a message via AIM to Deathlust

#1 - Naak - Pretty effects and neat spell. Didn't like the pauses though
#2 - Emmy - Corpse explosion? What could be more fun?
#3 - Fulla - Buggy, but interesting.
Dusk doesn't get a place b/c he sucks.
Deathlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:37 AM   #4
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

I made a screenshot of Ancient Roots for Soulprovider because I didn't want him to be the only one without one.
So here it is, I tried to capture the spell as best I could.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AncientRoots.jpg (219.1 KB, 93 views)
OD v0.10x Download

Personal To-Do List:
ICARUS
Aot3

WC3C Chat
Earthbound 2 in English
vJass Manual

Old 06-21-2006, 11:13 AM   #5
TGhost
User

TGhost has little to show at this moment (0)

Top 3:

#3 is... Rising Dusk!
- A really cool idea, draining the force of nature to damage enemies.
- The effects were ok, maybe abit dull for such a nice spell.
- The tooltip was also very nice, only thing missing was how did it actually calculate things, i dont mean like how you exactly caltulated the dmg of the spell, but more what draws it back, like if grass is alot better than dirt, and maybe trees help alot? I didnt really find out. Maybe the only factor is if the area is blighted or not?

Extra Advice: Maybe, like i have already said, give some info about what kind of terrain gives major bonuses and what doesn't. And last, the effects, maybe set up a few better looking things, i know it may be hard to find something souting a terrain draining spell, but the cooler the effects, the better the spell.

#2 is... Fulla!
- I really liked the idea of sucking the life force out of enemies to strengthen your summoned unit, very creative.
- Even though the effects weren't all that original, it looked pretty good with those life drain effects on every nearby unit, very clear to see wich units where targeted.
- Very informative tooltip, i didnt misunderstand a thing.

Extra Advice:
- I think you should have done it so that there would be like a pretty transperant version of the summoned unit, growing and growing as it sucks more life to it, wouldhave looked very cool in my opinion!

#1 is... Naakaloh
- Again a very original idea, sucking out the life force of your own units, draining them, but using their sacraficed power to damage enemies. A worthy sacrifice i say!
- I liked the effects of your spell, one of the best things about it if you ask me. The effects matched eachother pretty well, and it looked nice alltogether.
- Also, this tooltip was very clear to understand, and i liked the way the colors matched eachother, by far the best tooltip i have ever seen!

Extra Advice: Nothing much for you really, great spell!

Really nice spells everyone, great job!

Edit: After reading through this (Posted) i started to laugh so much i fell of my chair, look at what i wrote!
I think you should have done it so that there would be like a pretty transperant version of the summoned unit.
OMG that sounds funny... so that there would be... lol.... like a pretty transperant..... Damn i love the english language, and im not just saying that because im english... Cause im not!
Ok back to reality. Nothing else. Bye!

Last edited by TGhost : 06-21-2006 at 01:45 PM.
TGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:37 PM   #6
MercyfulJester
User

MercyfulJester is on a distinguished road (20)

Hard to decide, every one of them is beautiful and useful in its own way.

1: I guess I'll go with Naakaloh. Pretty looking and intriguing spell that could be useful in different kinds of maps.

2: Fulla. Neat looks and general usefulness are the main points.

3: Rising_Dusk's idea and execution are just great. Again useful in all sorts of genres.
MercyfulJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:47 PM   #7
Soulprovider
User

Soulprovider has little to show at this moment (5)

1. Naakolah - his spell was well done and the spinning graphic was enough of an eye catcher to get anyones attention. I cannot really comment on the code since I don't know Jass or JESP so the usabillity of it is definitely worth it in None single hero rpg's.

2. Soulprovider - Of course I have to rate my own spell but It doesn't quite fit the way I wanted it to. I found my spell to be somewhat useful with it being based through GUI instead of Jesp or Jass. The best effect was when the caster arrives at his home via the roots.

3. Fulla - His spell was interesting however its major flaw was the leaks it suffered. It can be customized easily but like I said the leaks are to apparent.

side note:
I'm suprised that emijr's spell was not disqualified for the imported effect.

Also if its possible this is the pic that I think shows off the effects a little better.
Zoom (requires log in)
Atlantis TD has no bearing on what my RPG will be it will be considered a stand alone TD based partially off of the storyline of my RPG.

The Story of Atlantis RPG
Status- 15% terrain completion
ETC: Sept. 15, 2006

All projects put on hold - hooked on Rise of Legends

Last edited by Soulprovider : 07-02-2006 at 06:11 PM.
Soulprovider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:08 PM   #8
Fin.
User

Submissions (1)

Fin. will become famous soon enough (34)Fin. will become famous soon enough (34)

1. Fulla - Most innovative I thought and would be very useful in most maps.
2. Naakaloh - Best looking and pretty unique but I didnt like how it was so static and paused the units.
3. Rising Dusk - Really cool concept and probably the most creative.
Fin. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 10:10 AM   #9
BertTheJasser
xyzi - our universe

Submissions (2)

BertTheJasser has a spectacular aura about (111)BertTheJasser has a spectacular aura about (111)BertTheJasser has a spectacular aura about (111)BertTheJasser has a spectacular aura about (111)

(1)Naakaloh - just so simple and great to sacrify allies!
(2)Rising_Dusk - a very good idea, but it has some issues.
(3)Fulla - Very unique idea, but could be made better with the usage of attack/attackspeed/manabonus

@Soulprovider I actually do not like your spell as it is so laggy and because it is cinematic.
Special thanks to Vexorian who helped me learn jass, the real jass and always helped me when problems occured, I would call him somehow my mentor. Pipedream, who made amazing Grimoire and helped me acclerating my map (currently at 99% finished, no developement atm).

Vote for Linux Ports in general of Blizzard products: http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ibpfl/

Last edited by BertTheJasser : 06-24-2006 at 10:11 AM.
BertTheJasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 11:30 AM   #10
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Quote:
a very good idea, but it has some issues.

I hate to be picky, but what are those said issues?
I can improve it before I submit it as a demo map still, so if you have suggestions don't hide them from me. :P
OD v0.10x Download

Personal To-Do List:
ICARUS
Aot3

WC3C Chat
Earthbound 2 in English
vJass Manual

Old 06-25-2006, 02:51 PM   #11
BertTheJasser
xyzi - our universe

Submissions (2)

BertTheJasser has a spectacular aura about (111)BertTheJasser has a spectacular aura about (111)BertTheJasser has a spectacular aura about (111)BertTheJasser has a spectacular aura about (111)

@ Rising_Dusk: Just think of a game that takes mor than 30min. The hole map will be corrupted, undead have bonus hp regeneration. Another issue is, that only units that are in the target area are healed/damaged, which is really bad as they may be in a allready blighted area and so they can not be healed/damaged. I think this could be solved, if you just heal/damage the surrounding units. (There may be a better way to solve that problem, but so far)
Special thanks to Vexorian who helped me learn jass, the real jass and always helped me when problems occured, I would call him somehow my mentor. Pipedream, who made amazing Grimoire and helped me acclerating my map (currently at 99% finished, no developement atm).

Vote for Linux Ports in general of Blizzard products: http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ibpfl/

Last edited by BertTheJasser : 06-25-2006 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:00 PM   #12
emjlr3
Rehabbing

Submissions (14)

emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)

Mapping Contest First Place

Send a message via AIM to emjlr3 Send a message via MSN to emjlr3

1: emjlr3, cuz I was sad...
Old 06-25-2006, 04:28 PM   #13
BertTheJasser
xyzi - our universe

Submissions (2)

Your one was not bad, but it was allready made before. So, sorry.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:36 PM   #14
Naakaloh
User

Submissions (2)

Naakaloh is a jewel in the rough (154)Naakaloh is a jewel in the rough (154)

Spell Making Session 09 WinnerSpell Making Session 05 Winner

Send a message via AIM to Naakaloh

Ah, wow, just got back from a trip to the mountains, thanks all who voted for me. :)

My votes are as follows, excluding myself:

1st: Rising_Dusk - Land Consumption
I was surprised at first when you submitted this, thinking that it should have gone in the last session, but after reading the description and actually using it, I realized how well it actually fit this one. Great spell, generally easy to use, and a very clever resource. It's excellent that you're so enthusiastic and ready to contribute thoughful and well coded submissions.

2nd: Fulla - Soul Harvester
This is a pretty cool spell. I would love to see it redone to fit the JESP manifest. It might even be cool to have the soul harvesters get new abilities depending on the level of the spell. The leaks and the error with draining (rewrite in JASS and it'd be easy to identify and fix :P) are the only things that don't seem to work well. Also, now that I think about it, to make it more specific to the contest you could actually have caused a decrease to the max life of those being drained.

3rd: emjlr3 - Demonic Explosion
Nicely done spell, my only real complaint is that it is corpse explosion, and to be honest my first thoughts at the start of the contest were something like, "Ok, Corpse Explosion will be too common to do unless something really innovative is done." And while the effects were new and different from typical Corpse Explosions, it didn't appear very innovative, though I did like the knockback. I'm not sure what to suggest since I'm not sure what to do with a corpse explosion, but maybe something weird like a chain corpse explosion or something; just a thought.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:55 AM   #15
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Just to let you know Bert, there was an update to my spell that allowed you to change ONE constant in the trigger constants in order to make it revert the terrain back to normal after X seconds (The duration being determined by another constant).

Basically, if you actually try the spell and look at the code, you would notice that I added that option. :P

And thanks for the feedback Naak. ^_^
OD v0.10x Download

Personal To-Do List:
ICARUS
Aot3

WC3C Chat
Earthbound 2 in English
vJass Manual