wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Triggers & Scripts
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: Who do you think should win this session?
PipeDream 0 0%
Reborn91 0 0%
Mezzer 1 4.17%
blu_da_noob 5 20.83%
knutz 1 4.17%
Vuen 1 4.17%
sheep.spirit 1 4.17%
vile 5 20.83%
Tim. 10 41.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2006, 06:16 PM   #1
Blade.dk

Respected User

Submissions (15)

Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)

Approved Map: Azeroth's Arcane ArenaSpell session 01 winner

Send a message via MSN to Blade.dk
Default Spell Making Session 3 Voting (Winner: Tim.)

First of all, I am happy to see that the 3rd spell making session got so many entries!

You can see all the great spells below:

Like last time, there will be a poll (lasts till friday), where people can vote who they think should win. When you vote, please post a top 3 list of the spells you think are best, and explain why.
In the end I am going to decide which one will win, and it is not sure that I will choose the one who got most votes on the poll as winner. I will concentrate more on the reasons posted, and then base my decision on that.

Good luck everyone!
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 05-07-2006, 07:00 PM   #2
nooK
n1nja

nooK will become famous soon enough (30)nooK will become famous soon enough (30)

I vote for vile, I didn´t like him before but it seems he has changed and he also remakes his map without all the stuff from ToB and helps people in the forum.

His spell is just the best I think, it looks awesome, can be easily configured and can be used in many maps (edit: what more to say?)

Second best is the one from blu_da_noob, third Mezzer`s both are "just" good spells :)

1) vile
2) blu_da_noob
3) Mezzer

Last edited by nooK : 05-07-2006 at 07:14 PM.
nooK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:02 PM   #3
Blade.dk

Respected User

Submissions (15)

Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)

You have to make a list of the 3 best spells and post reasons, just one is not enough for your vote to count. Please edit your post, and maybe concentrate more on the spell itself in your comment.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
Deathlust
User

Deathlust has little to show at this moment (1)

Send a message via AIM to Deathlust

My SAS gets my vote. Imbaest spell evar.

Tim comes next, because vamps are just plain awesome... duh. Spell is fine too =D.

Meh... third is whoever. Nothing else really jumped out at me. Third is ### because his spell was just awesome.

Last edited by Deathlust : 05-09-2006 at 02:15 AM.
Deathlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:06 PM   #5
st33m
User

Submissions (1)

st33m is on a distinguished road (22)

Send a message via MSN to st33m

Okay: I voted for blu_da_noob. His spell looked nice, and except for that bug about the lightning staying there (which I didnt find) it worked well. Plus eating mana is just cool.

As for runners up (IMO), I liked Vile's spell, it was pretty cool, dealing less damage for the number of units and such.

Also Tim.'s spell was pretty cool, going up and eating then coming back and zombifi...ing.
st33m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:56 PM   #6
Vuen
User

Submissions (5)

Vuen will become famous soon enough (64)Vuen will become famous soon enough (64)Vuen will become famous soon enough (64)

Spell making session 4 winner

My vote goes to vile (assuming we can't vote for ourselves of course :p).

Pros: It seems like the most practical and the most fun in a real battle, because of the channeling aspect. It's something very different from your typical 'cast and forget' chain spells. It's also JESP, and appears to be extremely easy to install in your map; it doesn't even need a dummy caster. This is a great spell for any mapmaker of any knowledge level making any kind of map.

Cons: You can't pick the original target! It sucks when the spell randomly targets a far away unit (like a hero running away), and your spell dispels instantly because they leave. The spell also doesn't apply a buff to targets while channeling. Typical chain spells don't need them, but for a lasting spell it's good to have for a variety of reasons.

For second place, I'd say Vampiric Flight. The spell is very awesome; great visuals, very practical. I really like jumping from target to target and still returning to your starting place; it makes it good to use from behind cover. Unfortunately it's not JESP and seems to have no documentation or installation help at all. I'm a bit concerned about whether most mapmakers will be able to manage it, and I'm concerned that using the gamecache haphazardly without a proper spell tag may interfere with map functions.

For third place, Swinger. It looks great, and has a very cool idea and effect. It's also well documented, and has some great configuration options. Unfortunately it has some bugs (such as grabbing allies), and the demo map provides very limited testing. So it can't simply be installed and used on the spot; anyone installing this in their map will have to perform a lot of testing and fix it themselves, which takes its rating down a lot. It's also a bad idea to be immobile for several seconds in a battle, especially if the only reason for being immobile is to watch an animation. And it's missing a buff for units being swung.

Last edited by Vuen : 05-07-2006 at 08:05 PM.
Vuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:34 PM   #7
vile
n00b map maker

Submissions (5)

vile will become famous soon enough (60)vile will become famous soon enough (60)vile will become famous soon enough (60)

Send a message via ICQ to vile Send a message via AIM to vile Send a message via MSN to vile

I vote for Vuen on Vengeful Curse, my favorite spell, which will also probably be used on my map for its originality. The spell is creative and additionally the main reason I liked it so much is because its so useful, its another original way of causing your enemies to attack themselves, and yet it can be very balanced in normal maps. It is also very configurable for any map maker.

My second place goes to knutz with his swinger. The spell itself is amazing, the way units are collected in a line was the thing that most surprised me, especially when it was made by a person who just started using jass. Way to go on that.

The third place is sheep.spirit in his Cursed Wave, his way of targeting the chain spell on a point location was great, as well as how the curse gets worse on each unit gave the "curse" type of a spell, a real meaning to its name.

Thanks nooK btw for saying what you said.

Other than that I'd like to thank to Tim. for teaching me something that I haven't known in jass before, or in scripting at all; I never knew you could set a time scale percent to a negative value and thus rewinding animations! Amazing :)
Magic & Steel New Project is kicking in!

TEASER TRAILER
vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:10 PM   #8
Daminon
WWIAFTM!

Submissions (12)

Daminon will become famous soon enough (70)Daminon will become famous soon enough (70)Daminon will become famous soon enough (70)

Send a message via Yahoo to Daminon

I vote for Vile.

Edit:
Oki. I say things short and I am fastidious.

PipeDream Cosmic String
To many lightings.
It draged them together and dealed extreme damage.
Afte a few casts it stoped working at all.

Reborn91 Disrution Wave
Not very interresting. Just a movement using chain effect to define final position.
The only intrresting was that it was no damage spell.

Mezzer Scourching Death
Not good. Just a missile dealing damage. Does not check for closest
target and can bounce back and bounce on dead targets.

blu_da_noob Cabalist Combustion
The splitting is nice but it makes the spell very über.
The targets doesn't either notice the effect.
But very good.

knutz Swinger
Very impressiv and feels good to use. But really don't like spells that involves
much physical effets such as swinging and damage by hitting walls. It doesn't belong to wc3.

Vuen Vengeful Curse
Quite original but there is not much reason to change converted unit. It is similar to have one unit converted over some time. But a little different since units has different attacks. I like when chain spells happens fast instead of having to wait for a unit to attack.

sheep.spirit Cursed Wave
Man this is impressive and nice things! Both friend a foe effect.
But shoudln't chain spells be target spells??
Also it happesn some times that it doesn't hit any unit. Or was it supposed to be avoidable? There were no info about that.

Tim. Vampiric Flight
This one was impressive. Very cool effect. But I prefer if chain spells are of the chain lightning type were the caster rather sends a bolt isntead of moving himself.

But still I like Vile's best.
The channeling thing makes it very interresting and balaced. Expecialy since it drains more mana and deals less damage the more targets. Since the enemies doesn't move much but rather attacking I couldn't test the extracting or step out of range things. But it sounds advance and nice.

Last edited by Daminon : 05-09-2006 at 12:25 PM.
Daminon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:19 PM   #9
Blade.dk

Respected User

Submissions (15)

Quote:
When you vote, please post a top 3 list of the spells you think are best, and explain why.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:23 PM   #10
Mc !
Master Creator !

Acting art director
Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (101)

Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd PlaceModeling session 2 - Chimeras

Send a message via MSN to Mc !

Damn, it is difficult to decide, but this one are the 3 bests for me (not in order)

*Pipe dream: haha it is a funny spell to use, I love how it works

*knutz: Quite long, but I love it. I do love spells that move the targets, don't ask why

*Tim: A bit too massive, but its cool, I would really love to change bats to energy and make some sort of ghost,I like it.

And so the winner of my vote is for: *drumrolls* ... meh I dunno, wait I do know: it is...

Tim!, I love how it looks, and also how it works. In second place I put PipeDream, I liked them both a lot, but I think Tim is quite more useful to me.

Awesomeness = #Rep / #Posts
Mc ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:49 AM   #11
Chuckle_Brother
Oh for the sake of fudge

Respected User

Submissions (2)

Chuckle_Brother will become famous soon enough (53)Chuckle_Brother will become famous soon enough (53)

Send a message via ICQ to Chuckle_Brother Send a message via AIM to Chuckle_Brother Send a message via MSN to Chuckle_Brother Send a message via Yahoo to Chuckle_Brother

Pretty hard to narrow it down to one best and 2 other really good ones. All the entries were good imo.

However I think that the following were outstanding(no particular order)

1) Vuen - Really awesome concept, and looks pretty damned cool

2) Knutz - Haha, those silly Murlocs got their asses handed to them by that spell, really nice.

3) Finally, but definately not least was Tim's. Not a wacky insane effect but the bats and the whole package look cool. Plus reverse animation is Pro^2.

Good job to you all who participated.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:11 PM   #12
Fulla
Evil Overlord

Submissions (3)

Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)

My top 3 were

- blu_da_noob - Cabalist Combustion
- Vuen - Vengeful Curse
- Tim. - Vampiric Flight

Cabalist Combustion
I thought this was a very good spell, due to its simplcity to comprehend what it does, how it works and had appropiate special effects.
I liked the way, it also slowed and silenced.

I thought this was definetly a top spell, but not a winner.

Vengeful Curse
A very useful spell, with lots of potential with configuring. Also I thought very orignal and unique.

Only thing I was dissapointed with was the fact you couldnt lock 2 enemy units together in battle, which is what I thought the point of the spell was.
Just like Chain frost Bolt (Liche on Dota) which demolishes to units next 2 each other.

Vampiric Flight
I found this very impressive, the animatioms from turning to bats and back.
I think it had just the right balance between being not to complicated as it was clear what the spell does.
The % chance to raise a zombie I loved that.

Overall I voted for Tim/Vampiric Flight, mainly cause I really like vampire spells and I found this the best visually with animations and also on the effects of the spell and what the spell actually does.

Last edited by Fulla : 05-08-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Fulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:28 PM   #13
Vuen
User

Submissions (5)

Vuen will become famous soon enough (64)Vuen will become famous soon enough (64)Vuen will become famous soon enough (64)

Spell making session 4 winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulla
Only thing I was dissapointed with was the fact you couldnt lock 2 enemy units together in battle, which is what I thought the point of the spell was.

You can. Under Targets:

Collapse JASS:
  //This lets units that have been cursed be rehit by the same curse
function VengefulCurse_AllowRehit takes integer level returns boolean
    return false
endfunction

Set it to true. I left this off by default because it's much more of a chain spell without rehits.

It's so much fun to set rehit on and max hops to 9999, and then blink in, cast the curse and blink out. So awesome

Last edited by Vuen : 05-08-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Vuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:02 PM   #14
Fulla
Evil Overlord

Submissions (3)

Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)

Ah thx alot :-)
Definetly be using that spell.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:39 PM   #15
Reborn91
User

Reborn91 has little to show at this moment (1)

1. Cabalist Combustion (blu_da_noob)
I've always liked mana-burning spells. Purple lightning during the night looks spectacular.

2. Swinger (knutz)
Hilarious, nice job. Swinging goes a bit too fast in my opinion, but I stilll liked it :)

3. Lightning Grapple (vile)
Looks pretty cool, probably the most unique out of the submitted spells.

Reborn
Reborn91 is offline   Reply With Quote