wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > 2D Art Tutorials (Skinning)
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 03-30-2006, 03:08 AM   #1
Orc_Tamer
Do I really need this? <-

Submissions (4)

Orc_Tamer will become famous soon enough (68)Orc_Tamer will become famous soon enough (68)Orc_Tamer will become famous soon enough (68)

Default Alpha Mapping

How To Alpha Skin In Photoshop
By Orc_Tamer

Alpha skinning is a technique used in Warcraft 3 to remove unnecessary parts from a model ex. a weapon. I will be using the texture of the hero "Demon Hunter".

One thing I have to point out is that some models part cannot be alpha out because their team color gets in the way ex. Blademaster's Flag. Just check if it works for your model.

Open up your skin/texture and go to Window > Channels

A new window will appear and will have RGB, Red, Green, Blue

Go to the bottom of the window and look for the icon that says "Create New Channel". A new layer called "Alpha 1" will appear.

Now here comes the fun part. :)

Select all you layers and make them visible (click the box with the eye). You should have your image all red, don't worry about that just ignore that. Select your Alpha Layer and start to edit your skin.

Black = Remove
White = Add

When your finished with your skin you should have something like this.

After that just convert it into .blp and import it to your map and change the path to fit your character.

Here are my results:

Have fun Alpha Skinning!

- Orc_Tamer

Orc_Tamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 03-30-2006, 10:53 AM   #2
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

what also works in photoshop, is the ERASER tool. Just make any part you want alphaed colorless and WHAM its gone. So much easyer then fudging with alpha channels -_-

allthough i do approve this tut, its usefull, i heard some photoshop versions do not support the eraser-alphaing.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
Oliver
User

Submissions (1)

Oliver has little to show at this moment (7)

This is very useful to me, thnx xD

Last edited by Oliver : 05-07-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:46 PM   #4
aquilla
User

Submissions (1)

aquilla will become famous soon enough (71)aquilla will become famous soon enough (71)aquilla will become famous soon enough (71)

Send a message via MSN to aquilla

yeah, I had use of this tut 'cause my ps won't let me save .tga with transparency
aquilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:46 PM   #5
Amdor
User

Amdor has little to show at this moment (0)

is it possible to do lil' transparent texture - if I want to do something crystal?
Amdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:02 AM   #6
pantsonnos
User

pantsonnos has little to show at this moment (0)

ive been playing round in photoshop CS2 and i cant remove parts ...
i do it all properly but what i paint in black on the alpha1 channel doesnt dissapear. i used different opacities of black and i only get the team colour where i want the part to dissapear
any ideas?
cheers
Pantsonnos

(email me or get me on msn @ pantsonnos@yahoo.com.au if possible)
pantsonnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:03 PM   #7
dafatalgigabyte
User

dafatalgigabyte has little to show at this moment (4)

Send a message via AIM to dafatalgigabyte

What you're trying to make transparent(alpha erase) is probably covered by a team color. Also note that the alpha channel is either black or white in places, nothing else.
Look on the model for where it's teamcolored.
dafatalgigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:00 PM   #8
Snipeman101
User

Snipeman101 has little to show at this moment (0)

do you just do this in like a normal photo shop ? and how do u get the textures to photo shop srry sometimes im just slow so..... thank you for the anwser
Old 11-26-2007, 04:16 AM   #9
Medevil_Nuke
User

Medevil_Nuke has little to show at this moment (0)

ya so i was making a skin in photoshop and i saved it as a tga, then i went in and copy my alpha channel from PS to the tga file and saved it. after importing the new blp i made using image extractor it came out looking transparent where the team color should be anyone know how to fix this?
Medevil_Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:29 PM   #10
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdor
is it possible to do lil' transparent texture - if I want to do something crystal?
Depends on the model. The wc3 engine does support 8-bit alpha materials (8 shades of transparancy), but it is normally used to cover areas with teamcolor, allmost never solo.

To get a proper ghostly effect like you want you have to change the material to something like additive reather then alphaing it though.

Howevere you look at it, you'll have to do a model edit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantsonnos
ive been playing round in photoshop CS2 and i cant remove parts ...
i do it all properly but what i paint in black on the alpha1 channel doesnt dissapear. i used different opacities of black and i only get the team colour where i want the part to dissapear
any ideas?
cheers
Pantsonnos

(email me or get me on msn @ pantsonnos@yahoo.com.au if possible)
Make sure you are working on a TGA file, and save as a TGA file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafatalgigabyte
What you're trying to make transparent(alpha erase) is probably covered by a team color. Also note that the alpha channel is either black or white in places, nothing else.Look on the model for where it's teamcolored.
This is wrong. Like i mentioned before, teamcolored parts are usually covered by an 8-bit alpha material so that the teamcolor areas can be textured properly. So there are areas that support grey alpha-ing. Where it doesnt you can still use grey values if you want, but it'll just pick whats closest: black or white (invisble or visible) in game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeman101
do you just do this in like a normal photo shop ? and how do u get the textures to photo shop srry sometimes im just slow so..... thank you for the anwser
You export them from wc3 (always save as TGA!) using a program. I prefer wc3vieuwer, it can be found in our recources -> tools section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medevil_Nuke
ya so i was making a skin in photoshop and i saved it as a tga, then i went in and copy my alpha channel from PS to the tga file and saved it. after importing the new blp i made using image extractor it came out looking transparent where the team color should be anyone know how to fix this?
Not all bits of a model have teamcolor underneath them. It may verry well be that you alphaed bits in an area that doesnt have teamcolor at all.

And just a note to everyone: Some bits of a model simply can not be alpha-ed. They dont have teamcolor, and they dont support the alpha channel.

Last edited by erwtenpeller : 11-26-2007 at 12:29 PM.
erwtenpeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:19 PM   #11
Draco_9000
User

Draco_9000 has a little shameless behaviour in the past (-1)

does it work on gimp?
cuz i tried and it did nothing though i might have done it wrong. could you make a more discriptive tutorial?

Last edited by Draco_9000 : 01-06-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Draco_9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:26 AM   #12
spookpipe
User

spookpipe has little to show at this moment (0)

Does anyone know about a problem that makes the skin transparent ingame without having even touched the alpha channels?
spookpipe is offline   Reply With Quote