wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Ghost Forums > Map Database
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 01-13-2006, 02:15 PM   #1
Blade.dk

Respected User

Submissions (15)

Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)

Approved Map: Azeroth's Arcane ArenaSpell session 01 winner

Send a message via MSN to Blade.dk
Default (12) Azeroth's Arcane Arena [Pre-1.24]

Azeroth's Arcane Arena v1.5

Zoom (requires log in)

Map Author: Blade.dk
Description: At the very heart of Azeroth an arena lies. Whether human, orc, elf, naga or demon, everyone's dream is to win there and achieve the greatest honor possible: to be a champion of Azeroth's Arcane Arena.
Suggested Players: 12
Map Size: 64 X 64
Tileset: Cityscape
Released: 8th of September 2005
Last Updated: 19th of January 2006
Download: AAAv1.5.w3x (462KB)

Version History

More details:
- 22 Heroes all with different abilities.
- Tons of Jass Enhanced spells and items, an average of over 3 custom spells per Hero.
- AI that controls computer players and players that leaves the game's Heroes. Heroes under the effects of this AI will move, attack, pickup and use items and learn and cast spells.
- Team based (4 teams with 3 players on each), meaning that you won't see those nasty all vs. one fights.
- Each player has to vote for the wanted game duration. Then the average time is calculated and the team with most kills when that time has elapsed wins.
- Is pretty balanced, no cheap tomes in shops for example.
- Multiplayer-friendly size, but not totally ripped of custom models/icons.
- No leaks, meaning that the map won't be slower as time flies.
- Pretty fast loading time and execution time, so it shouldn't be laggy.
- A Hero selection system that doesn't suck (Vexorian's).
- Help menu and tips that makes learning how things works easy for people new to the map.
- Inventory system featuring a backpack and equipable items.
- Duelling system.
- You do NOT have to type annoying text messages to activate special features.
--------------------

Please report bugs and give me comments and suggestions.

This map is hosted at The JASS Vault, please check the forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AAAPreview.jpg (74.7 KB, 3278 views)
Attached Files
File Type: w3x AAAv1.5.w3x (462.4 KB, 5375 views)
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 01-13-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
iNfraNe
MSc

Cinematics Moderator

Submissions (7)

iNfraNe is just really nice (261)iNfraNe is just really nice (261)iNfraNe is just really nice (261)iNfraNe is just really nice (261)iNfraNe is just really nice (261)

Approved Map: Mortar Ball

Send a message via MSN to iNfraNe

nice arena :) like it.
The Spirit of Vengeance (Cinematic, Blizzard contest winner)
Elimination Tournament
Mortar Ball
iNfraNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 07:06 PM   #3
Tim.
Missing You All at Wc3c

Site Owner

Submissions (18)

Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)Tim. is a name known to all (502)

Approved Map: PiratesSpell making session 3 winner

Staff Review #1

Overview: Fast paced, short revival times, wide variety of weapons and items, amazing abilities and code. A full game would easily be fun and exciting.

Pros:
  • Vexorian’s hero selection system
  • Advanced inventory system prevents item spamming
  • Simplistic yet pleasant terrain keeps the game centralized without looking boring
  • Wide variety of heros and abilities; no duplicate spells
  • AI system allows for NPC heros to stand a chance against players; and great for when a player leaves the game
  • Small file size allows for easy download through B.net
  • Voluntary duel system allows you to invite another player (enemy) to duel
Cons:
  • Simple PvP with few spawned NPC creeps requires a lot of players to be fun over a longer period of time
  • No way to return to your base to buy abilities without dieing
Rating: 4/5 - Great map, lots of fun. With a few additions this could easily acquire a 5/5

Admin Approval #1

Avast! Seen Pirates? Get it here!
Tim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:41 PM   #4
Taur
#8 in posting (nolifeftw)

Taur is a jewel in the rough (215)Taur is a jewel in the rough (215)Taur is a jewel in the rough (215)Taur is a jewel in the rough (215)

It's a very good arena, one of the few good ones I've ever seen. I especially like the spells, far more interesting than normal ones. That really makes the map better than most, that and the AI (in case you hadn't figured out, I am partial to maps with AI included). A few complaints though, I didn't love the equip system, but it did the job. Sometimes the AI just stands around, and really they are very easy to beat. Some icons aren't very original and as Tim said, that thing about not being able to go back to your base is pretty annoying, but I think that's coz ppl will just hide in the base huh? It gets pretty repetetive after a while. but so do all arenas, it's pretty good.
Taur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:18 PM   #5
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

This just requires 1 extra aproval .

btw I recomend using 100x100 versions of the preview images so they don't lose much quality when vB processes them, (if it is a minimap it doesn't matter that much')
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Vexorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 02:17 PM   #6
Whitehorn
SPOON!

Respected User

Submissions (114)

Whitehorn is a name known to all (509)Whitehorn is a name known to all (509)Whitehorn is a name known to all (509)Whitehorn is a name known to all (509)Whitehorn is a name known to all (509)

The Berserker is too powerful - taking on 2 heros and winning.
The fountain simply attracts everyone to sit in the middle.
I'm really not a fan of Arenas, this seemed to keep me entertained very briefly, people dropped, lagged, there's only so much fun in killing the same 1 type of creep and same players over and over in a small space.
Duels seemed pointless unless you were an overpowered melee hero.

Be excellent to each other.
Whitehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:04 PM   #7
GaDDeN
Map Dev *********

Respected User

Submissions (3)

GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)

Approved Map: EliminationApproved Map: Stand of the PeonsApproved Map: Elimination Tournament

I don't know if im supposed to post here...

The same minute i entered the arena with my level 1 hero, i found a item called "Kilmaim" lying there on the floor. Thanks, 20+ damage and life steal. The others didn't stand a chance against this powerful weapon and allmost all left. We played 1v1v1 for a total of 30 min, and in the end of the game we had around 50 000 gold and we couldn't use it on anything; the most expensive items were still below 10 000 gold and you got 500-2000 gold per hero kill.

The good items should deffinately not drop early, and you need to balance the gold vs item cost. Another thing is the duels; in one of my duels a huge flamestrike just appeared from nowhere and killed me. It was deffinately not a spell, since it happened multiple times and he said he didnt have a spell like that.

Other than that: Nice game, much better than most arenas out there ^^
GaDDeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:56 PM   #8
Blade.dk

Respected User

Submissions (15)

Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)

You're right about items.

But random effects, including flamestrikes, appears randomly in the duel area, and that is intentional. Earthquakes, Blizzards and other things will hit you there too.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:09 PM   #9
Whitehorn
SPOON!

Respected User

Submissions (114)

Whitehorn is a name known to all (509)Whitehorn is a name known to all (509)Whitehorn is a name known to all (509)Whitehorn is a name known to all (509)Whitehorn is a name known to all (509)

Knowing Blade wishes to expand this map, I fully aprove it. It has great potential.

Old 01-14-2006, 05:42 PM   #10
GaDDeN
Map Dev *********

Respected User

Submissions (3)

GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)GaDDeN has a spectacular aura about (93)

Approved Map: EliminationApproved Map: Stand of the PeonsApproved Map: Elimination Tournament

Hmm a suggestion then for duels:

instead of damage effects that can kill the winning player, make an interesting duel terrain with maybe ground that changes position and stuff, to make it more interesting.
GaDDeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:49 PM   #11
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

yeah, I take whitehorn isn't the biggest hero arena fan and even he aproved it, well those are 3 aprovals
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Vexorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:01 PM   #12
Whitehorn
SPOON!

Respected User

Submissions (114)

I think duels should be a fight for a prize, would be a nice goal, and encourage more dueling, as right now its a big arena rumble.

Old 01-14-2006, 06:02 PM   #13
Blade.dk

Respected User

Submissions (15)

I had prices for duels in one of the earlier versions, I removed it because it made it too dule centered, but I will do what I can to make duelling a more important part of the map.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:06 PM   #14
Whitehorn
SPOON!

Respected User

Submissions (114)

Well, perhaps they could relate the the number of players. 8-12 players = you need to encourage dueling.

Old 01-29-2006, 08:22 PM   #15
Blade.dk

Respected User

Submissions (15)

Updated, please check the changelog here.

This is a minor update, adds some really needed things and some things and improves somethings. Doesn't focus much on balance of abilities and such, simply because I plan to, more or less, redo all Heroes and a lot of the abilities in the next version.