wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Warcraft Editing Tools
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 01-03-2006, 07:28 AM   #1
Kuthu
User

Kuthu has little to show at this moment (0)

BUG World Editor Error with Deleting Units.

Whenever I or my friend (on a completely different computer). Goes in a tries to delete a custom unit, the editor instantly gets and error. It's like it doesn't even try.

Take in some notes though before you give me an answer as I've searched and people have gotten this error though NOT in the same spot, and no fix either.

1. Only some Custom units cause this problem.
2. There's over 500 custom units. *Yes I know... if we could delete them we would*.
3. This error happens as SOON as we try to delete the units. It doesn't try to load for a second, it just flat out errors.
We've thought about exporting everything but the units, but thats a friggin' lot of units we'd have to replace, and it would NOT be fun.
4. We have tried using different editors.
5. You can still play the map inside of Warcraft III.

The error is:
Code:
 This application has encountered a critical error:

Not enough storage is available to process this command.

Program: c:\program files\warcraft iii\worldedit.exe
 Object:    CustomObjectField (.?AUCustomObjectField@@)

Any idea's?

Last edited by Kuthu : 01-03-2006 at 08:23 AM.
Kuthu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 01-03-2006, 08:46 AM   #2
Earth-Fury
Two Blue

Submissions (7)

Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)

Send a message via MSN to Earth-Fury

the error it gives implies that there is an error in one or more of the custom fields, but that cant be because the editor still saves the map.. (why would the WE only do a check on data integrity when DELETEING?!)

you could always edit the raw unit data file :) (dont ask me how!)
Earth-Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:30 AM   #3
Venturai
User

Venturai has little to show at this moment (1)

Yeah thats the thing, if only we could figure out a way to delete units while not being inside the editor. We can extract the map file no probs, but nothing opens up that w3u file (which I think stores the units).

As far as figuring out what else might cause the problem, I can import just the unit settings to a new, small, empty map, and still get the problem.
Venturai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:01 AM   #4
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Tools & Tutorials Moderator

Submissions (12)

PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)

Approved Map: Pitzer's Minesweeper

I might be able to help you, but I need you to try something.
Try using the Widgetizer to convert the Units data of your map.

If an error pops up, please tell me what it says.
PitzerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:39 AM   #5
Venturai
User

Thanks for your suggestion PitzerMike.

I actually tried using the widgetizer (with everything selected) on the map, in the hope that loading it up and then attempting to delete the units would work.

The strange thing is that, on loading it back up with the editor, the map had no object data of any kind, and a whole load of invalid object ID errors flood the editor screen. The map is then covered in big black squares where the placed units used to be. No units, no items, and no abilities.

I'll try again though with just the units selected in the options, and edit this post with my findings.

--

Yeah, this time it happened with just the units. None of the custom units exist again.

I didn't want to have to do this, but it looks like I'm going to have to open up our map, and a new map, and do a bit of copy and pasting. This will take a while...
Old 01-03-2006, 12:12 PM   #6
Earth-Fury
Two Blue

Submissions (7)

Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturai
Thanks for your suggestion PitzerMike.

I actually tried using the widgetizer (with everything selected) on the map, in the hope that loading it up and then attempting to delete the units would work.

The strange thing is that, on loading it back up with the editor, the map had no object data of any kind, and a whole load of invalid object ID errors flood the editor screen. The map is then covered in big black squares where the placed units used to be. No units, no items, and no abilities.

I'll try again though with just the units selected in the options, and edit this post with my findings.

--

Yeah, this time it happened with just the units. None of the custom units exist again.

I didn't want to have to do this, but it looks like I'm going to have to open up our map, and a new map, and do a bit of copy and pasting. This will take a while...

the widgitizer makes the WE unable to understand object data, because it converts it to a diffrent form. (esentally it converts it to data sheets that overwrite the default Wc3 mele datasheets. thats how i understand it anyway.)

if you open up a widgitized-map in win MPQ, extract the SLK files, then edit tem by hand, you can edit the custom units.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:17 PM   #7
Starcraftfreak
PR & UMSWE Developer

Respected User

Starcraftfreak will become famous soon enough (66)Starcraftfreak will become famous soon enough (66)Starcraftfreak will become famous soon enough (66)

Send a message via ICQ to Starcraftfreak Send a message via AIM to Starcraftfreak Send a message via MSN to Starcraftfreak

Interesting problem. Do you mind posting the map? If you don't want to post it on the forums, you can send it to me via e-mail: scfreak@gmx.net

The Widgetizer won't help you for editing purposes in the editor. It might significantly cut loading time in the game, especially with THAT many custom units.
Starcraftfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:43 PM   #8
Venturai
User

Yeah I've used it before, and the Widgetizer is undeniably one of the best programs I've ever used. The speed increase that results from having run it on this map is extraordinary.

That said, I am emailing you now scfreak :)
Old 01-03-2006, 12:51 PM   #9
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Tools & Tutorials Moderator

Submissions (12)

PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)

Approved Map: Pitzer's Minesweeper

Widgetizer will create an editor patch in the output directory too. If you load your map in this modified editor the units will be there.

But the original question was if Weidgetizer returns an error message, I guess not?
PitzerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:24 PM   #10
Venturai
User

No, it does not return an error message.

I did try my above theory with the map optimizer program too, but alas, the problem persisted.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:18 AM   #11
Starcraftfreak
PR & UMSWE Developer

Respected User

Starcraftfreak will become famous soon enough (66)Starcraftfreak will become famous soon enough (66)Starcraftfreak will become famous soon enough (66)

Send a message via ICQ to Starcraftfreak Send a message via AIM to Starcraftfreak Send a message via MSN to Starcraftfreak

Thanks for sending the map, I did some testing.

First of all I'm inclined to believe that the WE hits some limitation here. We should probably inform Blizzard about it. I appears to be some stack problem or something like that. The machines I tested on had enough physical memory available when the map was opened so this can not be the reason.

I can only give you the following tip:
Export the unit data and import it into a blank 32x32 map. Then start deleting units. Some will still crash (like the necromancer boss), but I guess it will get better after you have deleted a lot. Just save different versions of that testmap from time to time.

When importing back, your only problem could be existing units on the map. You would have to manually remove them.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:20 AM   #12
Venturai
User

Thanks for having a look at that scfreak.

I figured deleting enough of the units that weren't crashing the editor could possibly seem to fix the problem of being able to delete those that were crashing it, but I'm far enough into my own recovery plan now as to pretty much abandon any other course of action (besides a miraculous, quick fix).

The option I ended up going with was to copy and paste from the buggered up map to a new blank one. I took only the ones I really wanted (still, was about 200 or so), then imported that lot back into the buggered map.

Of course, it messed all the units up, and it has taken a LONG time going through the triggers to get back to the stage now where I can start repopulating the areas.

The funny thing is, I'd been doing things the hard way before. I didn't have to have multiple copies of the same unit if I wanted them at different static locations on the map. Provided each one has its own region, I can just set its custom value accordingly, and then use that custom value when determining where to respawn that unit.

It's been a painful process, but by the time I'm back up to where I was, the map will have less than HALF of the custom units that it did before. 530-odd down to 250 now. I guess, some lessons are best learnt the hard way.

Anyway, thanks again for looking at that for me :)
Old 01-04-2006, 01:10 PM   #13
Starcraftfreak
PR & UMSWE Developer

Respected User

It's still a shame for the WE to not be able to handle that many units.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:44 PM   #14
Earth-Fury
Two Blue

Submissions (7)

thanks for posting this, cause now i know to keep the number of custom units i use down :) (i dont think ive ever gone over 200, anyway.. but still, usefull to know!)
Old 01-05-2006, 01:41 PM   #15
Venturai
User

I'd guess the editor would behave the same way if a map happened to have that many custom abilities or items too, instead of just with units, but hopefully, I won't get to find out.

I can only hope that fixing this problem (which took a TON of work) has also fixed the 'disconnect on startup' issue that has plagued our mod, because that's something that's definitely got me beat.