wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Project Discussion > Project Recruitment
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 03:27 AM   #1
PlasticAngel
AWWWWW YEEEEEEEE

Respected User

Submissions (3)

PlasticAngel has a spectacular aura about (144)

This is by no means rules or anyhting of the like, just some good tips to all you new project makers out there who need some guidlines.

Firstly: Most of the popular projects have a catchy name like The doomed souls, but a common mistake is creating a thread with the name "New project" this won't attract members. Come up with cool name a post it in the thread title.

Secondly: Game based Projects are done for, we have seen countless WoW Lotr and many other projects fade away, stay away from basing your project on a game if you want it to become anything.

Thirdly: Don't rely on other people for getting your project done, this is mentioned in the FAQ but some noobs just don't seem to listen, if i was you would learn how to at least do two things before i start a project such as triggers and terrain.

Fourth: Origionality counts!!!! If you have new ideas and concepts you will have far more succes in the project world.

Finally: Don't just sit around and wait for a modeler or terrainer or whatever, get out there and pm them!

Anyone who thinks more should be added can tell me and I will add it. I posted this because I am getting frekking sick of these lame projects that serve no purpose other then to make it harder to orienteer through the forums.
Angel
Old 05-02-2005, 04:04 AM   #2
divine_peon
User

Respected User

divine_peon is on a distinguished road (17)

very good. i'll add some more later if you like. :P
Old 05-02-2005, 10:43 AM   #3
Fladian
User

Respected User

Fladian has a spectacular aura about (92)Fladian has a spectacular aura about (92)Fladian has a spectacular aura about (92)Fladian has a spectacular aura about (92)

Good job, though all of it is in the FAQ as well :)

Stickied...
Old 05-02-2005, 11:17 AM   #4
PlasticAngel
AWWWWW YEEEEEEEE

Respected User

Submissions (3)

PlasticAngel has a spectacular aura about (144)

Yea but some nufies don't even think of reading the FAQ because it is kinda long ;) This is bassicly the shortened version.
Angel
Old 05-02-2005, 11:28 AM   #5
Metal_Sonic64
User

Submissions (4)

Metal_Sonic64 has a spectacular aura about (96)Metal_Sonic64 has a spectacular aura about (96)Metal_Sonic64 has a spectacular aura about (96)Metal_Sonic64 has a spectacular aura about (96)

Send a message via MSN to Metal_Sonic64

Most noobs think modelers and the such grow on trees, so they ask, no, they demand modelers, skinners, animaters, etc. So if you do actually need them (lots of projects can do without, or atleast find some models elsewhere) ask for it in a civil way.

Ex. The N00b example: FOR ME PROJECT I WILL BE NEEDING 3 MODELERS THAT HAVE LOTS OF EXPERIENCE AND WILL BE PREPERED T0 DO HARD MODLES!...

The civil example: I'm also in need of a modeler or two, but if I can't come across any I'l try and make due...

ANd for Heaven's sakes don't ask for an experienced modeler, a modler is a modeler, and you will be luckey to come across....

Terrain- llllllllll
Triggers-
llllllllll
Old 05-02-2005, 02:49 PM   #6
Azhag
User

Azhag is on a distinguished road (19)

When you create the thread don't gve the impression that your project is doomed unless you can get a team going. Make it look like your experienced enough to finish the entire thing yourself, and that have a team would just make the game that much better. I have seen a lot of threads were a member will be asking for a list of people who can do such jobs. This looks desperate, and the longer the list the worse it looks. When I created my thread A Fishermans Quest I said "Any and all help would be greatly apprecated." I didn't ask for any: modelers, terrains, etc. I now have a team going.

Make it look like you are skilled with makin' maps, and that you can actually finish a project.
~Azhag~

Last edited by Azhag : 07-15-2005 at 03:55 AM.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:55 PM   #7
KingGigli
User

KingGigli will become famous soon enough (50)KingGigli will become famous soon enough (50)

Send a message via MSN to KingGigli

i was about to make a thread like this. good job.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:45 AM   #8
beantony
User

beantony has little to show at this moment (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhag
When you create the thread don't gve the impression that your project is doomed unless you can get a team going. Make it look like your experienced enough to finish the entire thing yourself, and that have a team would just make the game that much better. I have seen a lot of threads were a member will be asking for a list of people who can do such jobs. This looks desperate, and the longer the list the worse it looks. When I created my thread A Fishermans Quest I said "Any and all help would be greatly apprecated." I didn't ask for any: modelers, terrains, etc. I now have a team going.

Make it look like you are skilled with makin' maps, and that you can accually finish a project.
~Azhag~

yeah, agree.
but maybe we should write down about what kind of help do we need. Like "We need one or two terrainers right now, but any and all help would be greatly appreciated"

also, it'll be better if we, the thread starter, have made some small progress first.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:08 PM   #9
Azhag
User

Azhag is on a distinguished road (19)

More additions.

Don't think to far ahead. Yes brainstorming is a great thing, which allows for better ideas, but if you start giving promises that you can't do, then it looks bad, and other people might be not attracted to it.

Grammar counts. Having good grammar, makes a project look better and more attractive. If you type like this "I r 1337, me have good map, join no?" I personally will not read something like this. I do however read it, if the name sounds catchy.

Humor makes a project funny, and enjoyable. Personally, if the project leader has good humor and takes a project not too seriously, I think that is a good thing.

Make sure you know what your doing before you do it. Don't start a massive RPG when you hardly know how to make one. This is just like asking everyone else to do the work for you.

Enjoy!
~Azhag~
Old 05-05-2005, 06:10 AM   #10
FriendlyWarlord
User

Submissions (1)

FriendlyWarlord will become famous soon enough (63)FriendlyWarlord will become famous soon enough (63)FriendlyWarlord will become famous soon enough (63)

Cinematic Contest 1 Winner

Send a message via AIM to FriendlyWarlord Send a message via MSN to FriendlyWarlord

Those are all great, here's a few more:

- Do things in the right order. Start with the basics, then get to more specific stuff that you don't need until later.
BAD: "I'm thinking of making an RPG, I finished the terrain, but I need some voice actors right now, and later someone to think of a story, and then I'll decide how many players there will be and add all the triggers."
GOOD: "I've made the combat system for a map, I'm looking for somebody to design more enemies and items, a terrainer, and maybe some models and music later."
Although things like music, IF you're doing it for fun, you may want to start on earlier to break the tedium of triggering and such. Or at least that's what I did (and updated the music in my map about 6 times o_O). Or something like that.

- At some point, view your project from the eyes of someone who's completely new to it. Are you scared away by the high standards and abmition, convinced it will never be completed? Are you suddenly awestruck by what's already been done and want to join? Are the team members nice, or complete morons? Do you have any reason at all to be interested in it? Would you PLAY it if it gets finished? If you see a problem with how others view the project, try to fix it. Image is... it's not everything, but it's a LOT. And no, a snazzy sig won't cut it, you need to appear as a competant team (or at least a competant leader (I sure hope I didn't just spell 'competant' wrong three times...)).

Well, that's all from me. Keep on... tranglin' ?
Old 06-12-2005, 05:38 AM   #11
FLUFFwc3
User

FLUFFwc3 has little to show at this moment (0)

Hey, one thing I would sugeest to prevent your project from falling apart would be to get a start before posting about it. You should probably be starting to work on the first map at the time you post. If you have nothing but an idea, you might start and get overwhelmed, bored, understaffed, ect. So I just say get a good start into it before asking for help.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:27 AM   #12
Freakazoid
I love you all.

Submissions (14)

Freakazoid is a jewel in the rough (159)Freakazoid is a jewel in the rough (159)

Never flame or get mad on people who are trying to help you.

Oh and FLUFFwc3 i finished over 60% of my mod and still no one will help me :P, check my sig.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:03 PM   #13
Fladian
User

Respected User

Fladian has a spectacular aura about (92)Fladian has a spectacular aura about (92)Fladian has a spectacular aura about (92)Fladian has a spectacular aura about (92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid
Never flame or get mad on people who are trying to help you.
That has nothing to do with projects, Freakazoid :P That is a general rule in this and any other forum for that matter... heck, not just on forums.
Just think about it, you want to help someone, and they get mad at you for helping them :P Something isn't right there :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid
Oh and FLUFFwc3 i finished over 60% of my mod and still no one will help me :P, check my sig.
That's... unfortunate. But if people are not interested in a project, there is very little to add to it further.

Oh yeah, on-topic.
Hmm... not sure if this one was said, but oh well:
- If you're new to the site, try and post examples of your work, or a link to your work. Otherwise, people don't know what they are dealing with at all.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:25 PM   #14
Freakazoid
I love you all.

Submissions (14)

Freakazoid is a jewel in the rough (159)Freakazoid is a jewel in the rough (159)

The Do's And Don'ts of Project "leading", if you are a leader behafe like one :P