wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Artist's Discussion and Queries
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: Which icon do you like the best?
Icon 1 (bordered, off-center face) 4 36.36%
Icon 2 (bordered, centered face) 2 18.18%
Icon 3 (eye close-up) 3 27.27%
Icon 4 (off-center face) 1 9.09%
Icon 5 (not-so-off-center face) 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 08:49 PM   #1
Haze
User

Haze has little to show at this moment (0)

Since I think the default frozen throne icon is ugly, as was the starcraft icon, I decided to make my own. I really like how my Starcraft icon turned out, but I made a bunch of frozen throne ones and now I can't decide.

So, please pick one or two you like to help me narrow down my choice. Or suggest something different.

Thanks.

EDIT: A sixth one has been made thanks to Lord of Beast's suggestion. I don't think I can change the poll, but if you like this one more than the others, or if its one of a few that you like, post saying so. Also, note that I've used only one image for the icon, and so if you think that a different source image would be more suitable, let me know.

Last edited by Haze : 02-23-2005 at 06:35 PM.
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 02-23-2005, 04:35 PM   #2
Lord of Beasts

I personally like an eye close-up with border.

*Hoping I won't be burned to ashes*

Old 02-25-2005, 01:15 AM   #3
Elven Ronin
User

Elven Ronin will become famous soon enough (29)

Yea, that's my favorite also, but i think you'd be better off making something besides Arthas. Poor guy looks like he hasn't slept in days or been outside in months.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:40 AM   #4
RogueKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Beasts
I personally like an eye close-up with border.

*Hoping I won't be burned to ashes*

It's your opinion so you shouldn't be burnt....but in my opinion I really don't see what you see in that eye...I reckon it kinda looks yuck - close up of an eye that doesn't exactly look appealing to me...i would have thought an icon should represent what the key person or theme of the game is about...arthas is a key figure, but i can't see how artha's eye relates to the game...the only eye in the whole game is the eye of sargeras...correct if i'm wrong though

Old 02-25-2005, 07:01 AM   #5
Haze
User

You have a good point, RogueKnight. As well, I think having the close-up eye between the two faces wouldn't look too good. So, after all, I'm leaning towards one of the full-face ones.

Elven Ronin, I'm open to suggestions. Though Arthas kind of does represent Frozen Throne best; he's even on the game box.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:42 PM   #6
Elven Ronin
User

Make one of the Lich King perhaps.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:10 PM   #7
tschig
User

tschig has little to show at this moment (0)

Personally I like 5 and 1 the most, but it would be sweet if you had one, where there is half of the good arthas and one half of the evil one, I think it would describe the storyline the best... well hope it helps, so vote goes to 5
Old 02-26-2005, 12:33 AM   #8
RogueKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze
You have a good point, RogueKnight. As well, I think having the close-up eye between the two faces wouldn't look too good. So, after all, I'm leaning towards one of the full-face ones.

Elven Ronin, I'm open to suggestions. Though Arthas kind of does represent Frozen Throne best; he's even on the game box.

Now that I've made some criticism, I feel obliged to give some suggestions!

But I've been thinking...following from my idea that an icon should represent the game...since Warcraft is a game of four races (well five if you count the naga), but I was wondering...and I don't know what difficulty this will be to make....how about an icon of a face. The face is essentially fragments of the representives of the four races - if I remember right, human Arthas, the Lich King, a huntress, and a grunt.

So essentially something like:

top left quadrant of the face is that of human Arthas - so we have Arthas's left eye in the face; the top right quadrant is night elves - so we have a huntresses right eye and makeup etc; the bottom left quadrant is of a grunt - so we end up with half of a grunt's mouth, and the remaining quadrant is of the lich king.

I suggested this organisation cause the lich king's mouth and that of the grunt is relatively similar, as is that of human artha's eye and that of the huntress.

Such an icon, if you match it properly, will be a picture of a face that represents and comprises of faces of all four races of the game.

Old 02-26-2005, 07:26 AM   #9
Haze
User

Well, I probably didn't match it as well as I could. I did put a good amount of effort into getting the human and elf faces aligned though. It looked okay until I tried matching up the Orc and Undead pictures as well. I don't like the result. On top of that, I think I started it predetermined that it would turn out bad. Trying to shove all that detail into a 32x32 icon, and to make it look good... is not something I was in the mood for. But I gave it some effort.

It just looks... wrong o_O and it doesn't say "Frozen Throne" to me at all.

So, I'm thinking it's gotta be made from just one picture. Perhaps I'll try a Lich one soon. I am also considering integrating the borders used for this site's different themes.

EDIT: Just got the idea to put the bordered ones in grayscale. I think that it makes the border look "colder"... what do you think?

EDIT2: Is the human from the human box art actually Arthas? I can't say for sure myself... but if it is then I can do the half n half Arthases icon thingy.

Last edited by Haze : 02-26-2005 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:06 PM   #10
Elven Ronin
User

Is it Arthas? Let's see... long blonde hair, roughly same facial build. It's hard to say for sure, because i don't think we ever see "good" Arthas in a cinematic.

I agree with Haze on the 4 races icon. It just doesn't look right. And i don't think you could make each face small enough for all 4 to fit without making it tough to tell what each is.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:51 PM   #11
TheReaper
Mr.Reaper

TheReaper will become famous soon enough (54)TheReaper will become famous soon enough (54)

hmmmm, well, the 4 face thingy looks funny from the distance. But it's not good, maby you should put only the eyes of thos 4 charecters? but thos arthas icons are kinda, i duno, the same, well, i don't know how to say it, but good job anyway.
I'm here, i'm near, no need to shout."
- TheReaper

The Diary will never die...
The Ghoul's Diary Part 2!
Read all you want... if you dare...
Old 03-02-2005, 09:50 PM   #12
RogueKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elven Ronin
Is it Arthas? Let's see... long blonde hair, roughly same facial build. It's hard to say for sure, because i don't think we ever see "good" Arthas in a cinematic.

I agree with Haze on the 4 races icon. It just doesn't look right. And i don't think you could make each face small enough for all 4 to fit without making it tough to tell what each is.

I'm convinced that it is Arthas. The Frozen Throne box art, and the human pic that you had used in your 4 race icon. At any rate, we can call him Arthas, if we're not sure, but I reckon it is after comparison of facial features (eg nose, eye shape, shape of head, and chin) between the TFT box art and that human pic (I'm sure we all agree that the TFT box art is Arthas....right?)

But the 4 race icon didn't look right.....it was a good effort, but what I imagined and what was reality wasn't quite the same....I guess it shows that the imagination can be wild and not face reality :p .

Old 03-13-2005, 07:27 PM   #13
Lord of Beasts

Now... When I looked at the 4 race icon, it really didn't look right. BUT.(!) A 2 race icon would do nicely. Arthas one half (undead or living) + other half night elf

Old 03-13-2005, 11:03 PM   #14
Haze
User

Thanks everyone for your comments and votes. I have since chosen icon #9. It uses undead arthas to represent the theme of frozen throne, has a border to fit along with the warcraft 3 icon, and the border is itself grey, giving a colder impression IMO.
Closed Thread