wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Town Hall > WC3C News
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-17-2004, 07:31 AM   #1
Dorelian
User


Retired Director
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 644

Dorelian is on a distinguished road (15)

Default

We have decided to change our hosting system. Details about the new system can be viewed here: http://www.wc3campaigns.com/hosting.php

This means that every currently hosted project will have to reapply. Go to the link above to find out how to reapply. Not everyone will be rehosted, but you will be given a week to backup everything from your FTP.


We hope you will enjoy the new system.
- WC3Campaigns Administration

NOTE: Finished project do NOT need to reapply.
Dorelian is offline  
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 10-17-2004, 06:27 PM   #2
The_Skullpitter
Realm Design Executive


Project Leader: DoC
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 307

The_Skullpitter has a spectacular aura about (94)The_Skullpitter has a spectacular aura about (94)The_Skullpitter has a spectacular aura about (94)The_Skullpitter has a spectacular aura about (94)

Send a message via MSN to The_Skullpitter
Default

I for one am very pumped about this.
Not only do we get the honour of simulating what it would be like to be treated like pawns and see what it would be like to get condescended like newbies, I personally also get to experience the sheer JOY that is backing up a total of 416 threads and 8316 posts across 4 forums!
Thank you so much for showing me how much we mean to you!
I love you guys too.

...
...
...

-wipes a thick layer of congealing sarcasm from his lips-
__________________


I had a dream a few months ago. The Pope was teaching Pope Class in my dining room. We all had Pope uniforms and we were sitting at my dining room table. I was like the Pope Class Clown. I got in a huge fight with the Pope, and he made me fail a test out of spite so I threw a fit, ran upstairs, threw my Pope robes down the stairs at him, ran into my room, fell on my ass into my laundry basket and cried.
After I woke up I was furious with the Pope for about a week.
Then he died.
The_Skullpitter is offline  
Old 10-17-2004, 06:36 PM   #3
Draco
Need a Stockmarket App?


Respected User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,848

Submissions (1)

Draco will become famous soon enough (68)Draco will become famous soon enough (68)Draco will become famous soon enough (68)

Default

Your forum won't be deleted. There is a pretty good chance that if you are hosted now nothing will happen.
Draco is offline  
Old 10-17-2004, 06:38 PM   #4
John_Drake
User
 
John_Drake's Avatar


Project Leader: DoC
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 353

John_Drake will become famous soon enough (73)John_Drake will become famous soon enough (73)John_Drake will become famous soon enough (73)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco
Your forum won't be deleted. There is a pretty good chance that if you are hosted now nothing will happen.

Well, that's certainly a lot better than what we thought at first.

Bring on the changes in that case!
__________________
John_Drake is offline  
Old 10-17-2004, 06:40 PM   #5
The_Skullpitter
Realm Design Executive


Project Leader: DoC
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 307

The_Skullpitter has a spectacular aura about (94)The_Skullpitter has a spectacular aura about (94)The_Skullpitter has a spectacular aura about (94)The_Skullpitter has a spectacular aura about (94)

Send a message via MSN to The_Skullpitter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco
Your forum won't be deleted. There is a pretty good chance that if you are hosted now nothing will happen.

Yes, but you see, I don't trust you rotten bastards, so I'm backing up anyway.
After all, these are the people who put a character limit on signatures that INCLUDES THE URLS TO IMAGES. Who knows what you might do to my poor old forum?

Nepotists.
__________________


I had a dream a few months ago. The Pope was teaching Pope Class in my dining room. We all had Pope uniforms and we were sitting at my dining room table. I was like the Pope Class Clown. I got in a huge fight with the Pope, and he made me fail a test out of spite so I threw a fit, ran upstairs, threw my Pope robes down the stairs at him, ran into my room, fell on my ass into my laundry basket and cried.
After I woke up I was furious with the Pope for about a week.
Then he died.
The_Skullpitter is offline  
Old 10-17-2004, 07:50 PM   #6
35263526
User
 
35263526's Avatar


Respected Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,714

35263526 will become famous soon enough (38)35263526 will become famous soon enough (38)

Default

Hehe, this thing really made me get the hell off my ass and stop slacking. Good idea to weed out the inactive, although Skullpitter does kinda have a point.
35263526 is offline  
Old 10-17-2004, 08:50 PM   #7
republicola
User


Respected User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 246

republicola has little to show at this moment (4)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Skullpitter
Yes, but you see, I don't trust you rotten bastards, so I'm backing up anyway.
After all, these are the people who put a character limit on signatures that INCLUDES THE URLS TO IMAGES. Who knows what you might do to my poor old forum?

Nepotists.

Aren't the moderators supposed have a positive attitude about the site?
republicola is offline  
Old 10-17-2004, 09:43 PM   #8
The_Skullpitter
Realm Design Executive


Project Leader: DoC
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 307

The_Skullpitter has a spectacular aura about (94)The_Skullpitter has a spectacular aura about (94)The_Skullpitter has a spectacular aura about (94)The_Skullpitter has a spectacular aura about (94)

Send a message via MSN to The_Skullpitter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by republicola
Aren't the moderators supposed have a positive attitude about the site?

...
...
...bwahahahahahahaha!!!

...whoa, that was too good.
No, seriously, I wouldn't brake for old ladies with baby carriages after viewing this site...
...on a GOOD day!

...bwahahahahaha!

So, 'Dor, this not the level of professional response you were hoping for?
__________________


I had a dream a few months ago. The Pope was teaching Pope Class in my dining room. We all had Pope uniforms and we were sitting at my dining room table. I was like the Pope Class Clown. I got in a huge fight with the Pope, and he made me fail a test out of spite so I threw a fit, ran upstairs, threw my Pope robes down the stairs at him, ran into my room, fell on my ass into my laundry basket and cried.
After I woke up I was furious with the Pope for about a week.
Then he died.
The_Skullpitter is offline  
Old 10-17-2004, 11:42 PM   #9
Iron_Ian
User


Respected User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,704

Submissions (1)

Iron_Ian will become famous soon enough (51)Iron_Ian will become famous soon enough (51)

Default

Hrmph, really don't enjoy having to 'reapply'. Though TTOA is basically done, so I'm hoping you guys will just leave my FTP intact. I don't have anything I need to back up anyway, so if it gets deleted I can just reapply and upload stuff from my harddrive again.
Iron_Ian is offline  
Old 10-20-2004, 12:54 AM   #10
Jarin
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 94

Jarin has little to show at this moment (0)

Default

My thoughts on this.. even though they probably won't be heard:

A system such as this does indeed make it easier on the Admins to pick out who's working and who's not, as well as control which projects they want to get rid of without doing it directly and in person. Personally, I think the hosted projects now are worse than ever, which makes this a good idea, in a way. 60% of the projects have little to no progress with each week that passes, which does indeed make it seem very pointless to host them in the first place. But don't get me wrong, I still don't think you should make all projects (excluding finished) reapply because you've got a new system. Sure, it'll take a couple extra hours to 'transfer' them over to the new system, but does that mean they should have to take extra measures to backup their FTP and reorganize? If that's the case, then I think Wc3C has its motives for hosted projects wrong. The apparent reason this site hosts the projects is so the projects themselves can have space to organize and show off their work, and in turn, they bring users to the site by advertising and outside linking, which the project leaders may not realize. So all in all, they're actually doing a favor for Wc3C by doing so, yet you force them to reapply and reorganize nonetheless. It's great to see improvements to the site, but this is one thing that, in my opinion, is completely useless if you pull through with it.
Jarin is offline  
Old 10-20-2004, 11:19 AM   #11
Dorelian
User


Retired Director
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 644

Dorelian is on a distinguished road (15)

Default

"I still don't think you should make all projects (excluding finished) reapply because you've got a new system. Sure, it'll take a couple extra hours to 'transfer' them over to the new system, but does that mean they should have to take extra measures to backup their FTP and reorganize? If that's the case, then I think Wc3C has its motives for hosted projects wrong"

Many don't even have ftp's, many of the ones that do don't use them, and they've been given a week to backup. I think you're looking for holes where there are none.

"The apparent reason this site hosts the projects is so the projects themselves can have space to organize and show off their work, and in turn, they bring users to the site by advertising and outside linking, which the project leaders may not realize."

What? you're saying we host projects only to get new members? we're the bigest site by far yet we want more people, I think you should look at your user title to see who has hidden reasons for writing that long commentary.
Since you say we use the projects in our own interest, we wouldn't be doing ourself any favour if we had them reapply, which we are doing. You contradicted yourself in your own words. :)

Have a nice day, and thank you for proving yourself wrong.
Dorelian is offline  
Old 10-20-2004, 09:32 PM   #12
Jarin
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 94

Jarin has little to show at this moment (0)

Default

Ah, but that's where you're wrong, Dorelian. I'm not hiding my motives to advertise my site; I do it freely and openly. I'm not afraid to admit the fact that my community is small and in need of participation; Wc3C was once like that as well. And I'm looking for no argument when I say this, but the main reason this site is flooded with so many unintelligent 'noobs', as some call them, is because you'll (and yes, Dorelian, I'm speaking directly to you) host any project that waves a bit of work in front of your face. With that in mind, more and more noobs flood to the site, thinking they can get the same chance to be in the spotlight with their unqualified work. I have proof to back this up as well; I asked for hosting for a project some time back, with only the slightest lick of work. I had a few lousy screenshots and very little physical material, not even so much as a background story, yet you hosted our project nonetheless. For a week and a half it remained idle, with a clearly stated thread that the project had failed. Now it took you that long to notice that you had a dead project, even when the news was right in your face. And you call that organized?
The projects you're hosting now do indeed bring traffic to the site, but perhaps you yourself don't realize that. Just google for all outside links to this site, and 50% of them are pertinent to a project hosted here, yet you say you do this of your own good will. If hosting projects was not beneficial to the site in the least, why waste your time to host them to begin with? No, Dorelian, it is not I that's been proven wrong, I've merely stated facts and opinions that you feebly try to contradict with your unsupported opinions. And on a note, my opinions are unsupported as well, but if I cared, I wouldn't be posting this.
Jarin is offline  
Old 10-21-2004, 11:33 AM   #13
Dorelian
User


Retired Director
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 644

Dorelian is on a distinguished road (15)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarin
Ah, but that's where you're wrong, Dorelian. I'm not hiding my motives to advertise my site; I do it freely and openly. I'm not afraid to admit the fact that my community is small and in need of participation; Wc3C was once like that as well. And I'm looking for no argument when I say this, but the main reason this site is flooded with so many unintelligent 'noobs', as some call them, is because you'll (and yes, Dorelian, I'm speaking directly to you) host any project that waves a bit of work in front of your face. With that in mind, more and more noobs flood to the site, thinking they can get the same chance to be in the spotlight with their unqualified work. I have proof to back this up as well; I asked for hosting for a project some time back, with only the slightest lick of work. I had a few lousy screenshots and very little physical material, not even so much as a background story, yet you hosted our project nonetheless. For a week and a half it remained idle, with a clearly stated thread that the project had failed. Now it took you that long to notice that you had a dead project, even when the news was right in your face. And you call that organized?
The projects you're hosting now do indeed bring traffic to the site, but perhaps you yourself don't realize that. Just google for all outside links to this site, and 50% of them are pertinent to a project hosted here, yet you say you do this of your own good will. If hosting projects was not beneficial to the site in the least, why waste your time to host them to begin with? No, Dorelian, it is not I that's been proven wrong, I've merely stated facts and opinions that you feebly try to contradict with your unsupported opinions. And on a note, my opinions are unsupported as well, but if I cared, I wouldn't be posting this.

You're pulling stuff out of that dark place where your head seems to be, I never hosted any project similar to what you described, you're trying to show people how bad this site is so they come flooding yours, noobs or not. Are you going to post false evidence ? Be my guest, it will only show how desperate you are.

And, let me ask you this, so what if the projects we host do indeed bring traffic ? Do you want us to put a big banner on the front page telling all project leaders not to advertise their projects, and telling all other sites not to link to our site? we're getting traffic, your site is leeching it.

My unsupported opinions? They're not opinions, they're facts that you fail to understand, so you resort to making stuff up and being stubborn.

If you want to argue, do it by PM, I don't want this in my thread. Closed.
Dorelian is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:38 PM.


Donate

Affiliates
The Hubb http://bylur.com - Warcraft, StarCraft, Diablo and DotA Blog & Forums The JASS Vault Clan WEnW Campaign Creations Clan CBS GamesModding Flixreel Videos

Powered by vBulletin (Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd).
Hosted by www.OICcam.com
IT Support and Services provided by Executive IT Services