wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > Modeling Tutorials
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 04-11-2004, 05:26 PM   #1
Tyraxor
User

Submissions (1)

Tyraxor has little to show at this moment (0)

Default 3DSM 5 Basic beginners guide of the Art tools

This tutorial only deepens the Blizzard Art-Tools documentation-tut, for the Tools specific information please read the Blizzard Art-Tools documentation. It's supposed to help all those having trouble with the B.A.T doc tutorial. This tutorial has been created with german 3DSMAX 5.1 so not all commands will be 1:1 translated. Don't forget to always save your work!
This Tutorial has been created by Tyraxor @ wc3campaigns.com.

What you need:
Blizzard Art Tools 1.01: http://www.battle.net/war3/files/
3DSMAX 4.x / 5.x
ArtToolsTut.zip (recommended): mitglied.lycos.de/usermanual/ArtToolsTut.zip

The start - Model Geometry

Step 2 - Applying the Texture

Step 3 – UVW Stuff

Step 4 – Note Tracks

Step 5 – Animation I

Step 6 – Animation II

Step 7 – Particles and Ribbons

Step 8 – Export and Import

COPYRIGHT AND DISCLAIMER

This guide/text is Copyright (c)2004 Raffaele Zompicchiatti a.k.a Tyraxor and Enshine Studios. All rights reserved. This may not be reproduced under any circumstances except for personal, private use. It may not be placed on any website or otherwise distributed publicly without advance written permission. Use of this guide on any other website or as a part of any public display is strictly prohibited, and a
violation of copyright law.

This guide should only be found at www.wc3campaigns.com

If you find it on another site, please drop me a Personal Message at the forums of wc3campaigns.com, since I will then need to contact them and remind them about a copyright problem. Thanks for your help. If you want to post this guide and its contents on your site or in your magazine, please contact me first before doing so. Again, thank you for your help.

[Original text by Andrew Vache a.k.a Cookie]

=========================================================================================

The start - Model Geometry:
Create a sphere with a radius of 50 and 20 segments. Right click and choose “Convert to: Editable Poly� (Poly is always better than Mesh). Click on the blue rainbow thingy (Modify Panel) in the right. Now, while the sphere selected click 4 or the “+� then “Polygon� under “Editable Poly� modifier.
Select two polys like i did and click on „Extrude“ in the “Edit Polygon� menu. Choose a value of 15 and click OK.

Next press 1 or „Vertices“ while mesh selected. In Left viewport, move the middle-right vertices to the center so it resembles a mouth shape.
Look that the “face� looks at you in Front viewport.

Now while the mesh still selected, press the 4 Arrow button (or w) and right click on it. At “Absolute World� set it all to 0. Now just move the sphere a bit higher than the grid (or try entering 55.0 in Z coordinates).

=========================================================================================

Step 2 - Applying the Texture:
First de-select your sphere mesh and press m or menu Rendering > Material Editor.
Select the first texture slot and press on Standart, choose “composite� type (Zusammensetzen auf Deutsch), name it „Simple Unit“. In the base material slot choose Warcraft III type and name it “Team Color�. Click on Not Replaceable and select Team Color from the options (If not available reinstall the Art tools (v1.01!)). Check the “Unshaded� checkbox since it's a Team color. Now click on the quad next to Diffuse color, select Bitmap and go into your 3DSMAX\War3ArtTools\Tutorial folder and choose WarCraftIII_SimpleTexture.tga.
Now go back to the composite texture (click arrow showing towards up, above “composite�).
Make the first Mat.1 slot a Warcraft III type, name it Texture. Again click the quad next to Diffuse color, choose Bitmap and get again the WarCraftIII_SimpleTexture.tga file. Click the up-arrow again. Now scroll down until you see “Extended Parameters�, open the menu and choose “Full Alpha� radiobutton. Now drag&drop the material (click the textured ball) from the Mat-Editor to your sphere-mesh.

Step 3 – UVW Stuff:
Select your mesh again, open the Modify panel and click the “Modifier-List�, in the pulldown menu select UVW Map. Make sure “Planar� is selected and it does fit the sphere entirely in the Left viewport. Now you can see the eyes do not fit correctly. For fixing that, apply a UVW Unwrap modifier. Click edit, now in the opened window click the dropdown menu at the top and select “Select Texture�, click bitmap and import the WarCraftIII_SimpleTexture.tga file like before. Now you can adjust the eye polygons over the eye texture. After that, click on the Hammer panel at the right. Click the small icon at the right (with those tiny boxes). Raise total number of buttons +2 more buttons. Now search for “Warcraft III Preview� and “User Property Editor� drag&drop them into the empty slots. Click OK. Now click on the new created Warcraft III Preview button and in the just opened menu click “Preview Model�. Now some errors may occur (don't mind them) and a new window opens with your model inside for a preview!

Step 4 – Note Tracks:
Right click in any view and select track view. When opened, go to Mode(first menu)>Dope-Sheet… (No, no drugs inside) Select "Objects" in the lines, menu “Tracks� > Note tracks > add, a new note track has been created under the "Objects" line. Add 2 new notes with the orange circled button, for the walk animation. One at frame 10 and one at frame 40. If needed, you can move them with the red circled button.

Now select both notes and right click one. Enter:
Walk
MoveSpeed 300
Then close the window. Then go back to normal max and right-click on the Play button at the bottom.

Set the Endtime to 200 frames.
Then back in track view, go to the notes again and create another 6 notes. 20 frames spacing between each animation and again 30 frames spacing inside each animation. Always select the two relating notes and add Stand then Attack then Death (in Death and Attack also add NonLooping) in the Note-Editor.

That's how it should look now. Now Preview again and there shouldn't be any errors atm.

Step 5 – Animation I:
Now we will create a set of Bones made by normal Box-objects. Create a box with same width on all sides and a length half the sphere. Now clone it 2 times so you have 3 boxes in total. Place all boxes in X axe to 0.00 and adjust them like I did:

Name them respectively Bone_Root, Bone_Head and Bone_Jaw. Then link them in that order:
Bone_Jaw is a child of Bone_Head so start linking it from Jaw and drag to Head. Head is child of Root.
Link button:

Now click on the Hierarchy panel on the right (just after the Modify panel) and select the Bone-boxes, click “Affect Pivot only�. Now modify all pivots from the bones like I did (Root is XYZ 0,0,0). Then turn APO off again.

So far so good. After we set up everything proper, we begin with the real animating.
Select the Bone_Root and create a Key at Frame0, 10, 25 and 40 (click the Big key button). Now just link the sphere to the Bone_Root. We are going to create a simple walk animation for our guy: While Bone_Root selected go to Frame 25 and activate “Auto-Key�, now move the Bone_Root a bit upwards like our guy is “Jumping�. Now deactivate “Auto-Key� again. If you now move the Timeslider you see he is jumping up and down. If you Preview now, some errors show up and its not animated yet. For that, open up track view once more. Now open the line in Bone_Root, there you can see it is hierarchically ordered. Under Transformation there are Position, Rotation and Scaling lines. You have to assign a TCB controller to them. So for example select Position, right click it and select “Assign controller�, now choose for everyone of them the TCB-* controller, in this example it would be TCB-Position, also do this with the Bone_Head and Bone_Jaw lines. You may asking, why TCB controller? Well TCB runs smoother than linear and offers some nice modification capabilities. Contra is, that its buggy to adjust with more than one animation and you can not rotate over 90 degrees. But for that model its just ok.

Now you can Preview it, only one error occurs (we'll just do that later). Now you see the guy is jumping and moving forward.
Well that's it so far for the animating, but there's still much to do.

Step 6 – Animation II:
Well will cut our sphere mesh into 3 different parts and link them to the 3 Bones we made.
Select the mesh, go to Modify panel and add an “Edit Mesh� (Netz bearb. auf Deutsch) modifier
from the dropdown menu. Now press 4 or “Polygon� and select the 3 different parts like I did and press
detach. First select the top of the mesh and name it Head, second the Jaw region name it Jaw (doh!) and the last region (our ex -mesh) name it to Body. Now link these meshes to their respective Bone.

Now we must adjust some little things: Select all the Bones. Go to the Hammer panel again. Now click on the “User Property Editor� button. Then click on the “Geometry Properties� crossbar and choose, guess what, Bone. Now select the three meshes (Head, Jaw, Body). Open the “Mesh Properties� crossbar and select “Connected�.

Now we are going to animate the Attack animation: Select the Bone_Jaw again. Move the Timeslider to where your first attack note is (that's Frame 110 for me) and create a key (Big Key button). Also create at Frame 125 and 140 (middle of both and the end). Now move to Frame 125, click “Auto-Key� now press E for rotate tool and rotate the Bone as much needed till the mouth is closed. Since we manipulated its Pivot, it will rotate accordingly. Deactivate Auto-Key again. If you move the Timeslider you see him “biting� now. Ok so let's Preview it. (Jump with + to the attack animation, and use * for replay). If you receive any error you did something wrong.

Now to the Death anims:
Well just make him disappear when he dies. For that, open track view and go into the dopesheet. Now select the Bone_Root line, in select menu “Tracks�>Visibility track>add.
Now rightclick on the just created visibility track and select a On/Off controller for it, this creates a lightblue line. There where the line is, it is visible. So we are going to make it stop earlier. Now insert a new Key (orange circled button remember?) into the line, after that key the line stops. Move it to frame 165 (between death notes). We will finish that up later, first we do a simple stand animation.

Stand anim:
Select Bone_Root, move Timeslider to frame 60 (1. Stand note) insert Key, also at 75 and 90. Go back to 75, “auto-key� and move it a bit upwards but not much. If you play that anim now you can see something's wrong, it continues from the walk animation. So open up track view and select the last key from walk anim and last key from stand anim (40 and 60), right click one and change continuousness to 0,0. Close track view and check Timeslider again.
Now you can see everything is moving proper now. You may do a Preview here.
Well now we got the animation stuff finished so let's do the special effects!

Step 7 – Particles and Ribbons:
In the next step, we will add a smokepuff to our Death animation and some other groovy stuff.
First, go to Create panel and select “Particle Systems� from dropdown menu. Select BlizPart and create one in Top viewport (Always in top viewport or it behaves oddly) in the centre of our unit, width and length something like 40x40.
Cone angle to 45, variation 90. In “Texture Options� choose Blend. For Texture pick the CartoonSmoke.tga from same dir as SimpleTexture.tga. Rows and Cols both to 4. Scale Start:50, Middle:70, End:100. Lifespan Head UV Anim Start:0, End:7, Repeat:1. Decay Head UV Anim Start:8, End:15, Repeat:1.
Now we have to change it to a poof animation, else it will smoke continually. Open track view again, go to dopesheet and insert a visibility track at the Particle. Give it an On/Off controller. Now create 3 keys: At frame0, 164 and 166. If you Preview the Death animation now, it just gives a poof when it disappears.

Adding extras: Now we will add 2 extra BlizParts and an extra Ribbon Helper.
Create a BlizPart in top view. Life (sec): 0.5; width/length: 20x20;Add; Color
Start:255,0,0/Middle:255,161,161/End:255,255,255;
Scale Start:5.0/Middle:2.0/End:1.0 . Place it inside of the eye. Hold shift (creates a clone) and move it to the other eye. Link both of them to the Bone_Root. Preview.

Finally we will add a Ribbon Helper:
Click the showed icons and create a Ribbon Helper. Place it at the butt of the unit and link it with the Bone_Root, name it ButtRib. Settings:
Above/Below: 20/20;Edges/Sec: 35;Edge Life: 1.0;Vertex Color:255,0,0;Vertex Alpha: 0.35
Press M for mat-editor. Choose another Warcraft III type. Check “Unshaded� and “2-Sided�. In Extended Parameters choose Additive. Place Bitmap in Diffuse slot and choose the RibbonBlur1.tga from 3DSMAX\War3ArtTools\OtherSamples\PandarenBrewmaster folder. Name the material “Ribbon�. Now back in the ButtRib click the material slot and select Mtl-Editor radiobutton. Choose Ribbon as your Mat. That's it so far. (p.s. its normal that the ribbon only moves at his butt for now.)

Last of all, we'll give him Team Glow!
Create a Plane, approximately 180x180. Set it above grid but under the unit. Do NOT link it with the Bone_Root! Give it a UVW Map-Modifier. Create a new material (Warcraft III of course). In Difffuse add Bitmap with texture: TeamGlow00.tga again from 3DSMAX\War3ArtTools\OtherSamples\PandarenBrewmaster folder.
Unshaded, Unfogged, Unselectable are checked. From dropdown select TeamGlow(!). And at last check Additive from extended parameters. You will also have to add a visibility track for that, since it's not linked with the root (invisible at frame 164). Preview it.

Step 8 – Last but not least, Export and Import:
When you're finally done, its time to export the model! Click the Menu File(First of all)>Export, Choose Warcraft III Model (*.MDX,*.MDL). give it a name like Ballguy.mdx (You MUST add .mdx at the end!) save it.
Now start up the Warcraft World Editor. Create a new map with the startlocs etc (Or just open an existing one). Open the Import manager. Now Import these files (All in the same folder where it has been exported): BallGuy.mdx [Our model file] ; CartoonSmoke.blp [Smoke texture] ; RibbonBlur1.blp [Ribbon texture] ; WarCraftIII_SimpleTexture.blp [BallGuy Texture] ; white.blp [Maybe just me, don't know what it is o_O]. After import remove all the war3mapImported\ folder details in front of the filename. Save, close and reopen map. After loading, go into Unit editor. Go to Peasant unit. Change the Model file to your imported file. Save and test your map!
That's it! Have fun!
All necessary files have been put in the ArtToolsTut.zip file!

Feel free to post questions relating to this tutorial.
Subject to alterations

Greetings
Tyraxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 04-11-2004, 08:30 PM   #2
megaerathia
User

Submissions (1)

megaerathia will become famous soon enough (30)megaerathia will become famous soon enough (30)

at the hero glow it keeps having red glow when i have a other color player (NVM i already found it out)

Last edited by megaerathia : 04-11-2004 at 08:34 PM.
megaerathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 09:27 PM   #3
Tyraxor
User

Submissions (1)

It would interest me how you get clear with the tut, if its easy enough etc.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:37 PM   #4
megaerathia
User

Submissions (1)

megaerathia will become famous soon enough (30)megaerathia will become famous soon enough (30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyraxor
It would interest me how you get clear with the tut, if its easy enough etc.

Yes but it did me some kind of 45 mins but its hard to make a good model(human or something)
Old 04-11-2004, 09:42 PM   #5
Tyraxor
User

Submissions (1)

I already thought of making something like this. But it would be insane. I say, everyone has to learn for himself.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:04 PM   #6
megaerathia
User

Submissions (1)

But i have a question where is that big key button?
Old 04-12-2004, 04:22 PM   #7
Tyraxor
User

Submissions (1)

Orange circled = Big key button (Auto-Key button aside). Red circled is the play button.

Screenshot
Old 04-12-2004, 04:40 PM   #8
megaerathia
User

Submissions (1)

But i got 3dsmax4 and you got 3dsmax 5 so what is the big key becouse im making this lego model for my mod and just made an stand animation and want to make an walk animation just like in the tut do ya know?
Old 04-12-2004, 05:03 PM   #9
Tyraxor
User

Submissions (1)

"Animate" equals my "Auto-Key" and my Big key must be your small key.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:10 PM   #10
megaerathia
User

Submissions (1)

Quote:
"Animate" equals my "Auto-Key" and my Big key must be your small key.

DO you know how to do a thing like the stand animation and then the next 150 frames another stand-1... and do you know how to get to 151?
Old 04-12-2004, 05:49 PM   #11
Tyraxor
User

Submissions (1)

Im quite not understanding your question o_O .
Old 04-12-2004, 06:29 PM   #12
megaerathia
User

Submissions (1)

Quote:
Im quite not understanding your question o_O .
Sry i did it a little quickly but the question: I have 300 frames i used 150 frames for the stand animation and wanted the next 150 frames for an stand-1 animation but how i let it show like stand first has 150 frames and then the other stand-1 again 150 animations but showing in another thing(dont know the name any more but the grey thing with all the frames standing on it) and do you know how i come on frame 151 when i done that?(if you knowing what im saying) or else contact me on msn my email is Playstation2lover@Hotmail.com( if you have that )

Last edited by megaerathia : 04-12-2004 at 06:37 PM.
megaerathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:43 PM   #13
Tyraxor
User

Submissions (1)

Umm well, if i understood right, you want 2 Stand animations. One from 0 to 150 and the other from 151 to 300?
I guess you make 2 pair of Notes in the notetrack. The first at 10 second at 160, third at 180 and last at 330 (you must increase max frames to approx. 500). Add "Stand" to the first notes and
"Stand2" to the second pair of notes. Now make your animations (1. 10-160; 2. 180-330). Go into Preview, now you can switch between them with the "+" button on your keyboard.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:11 PM   #14
Aku
User

Aku has little to show at this moment (0)

Having a problem here =/ Once i drag and drop the material from the material menu to my model my model just goes white.No texture or anything.
Aku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 04:33 PM   #15
Tyraxor
User

Submissions (1)

In material editor, go down to your Bitmap (WarCraftIII_SimpleTexture) and click the white-blue tiled cube in the menu between the textures and the options.

Greetings