wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Warcraft Editing Tools
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 03:38 AM   #1
Nozdormu
User

Nozdormu has little to show at this moment (0)

I've edited the model files of several units in unitui.slk along with a few things like changing ground shadows to air and model scaling (this is in war3patch.mpq because I'm making a Dragon Total Conversion and it would be a pain to have to put all of the same files in every map). Anyway, I saved it, put in my MPQ, and tested it. War3 runs fine until I load up a map, where shortly after the loading begins, it crashes and indicates an error in war.exe. The error is resolved just by deleting unitui.slk from my MPQ, however this doesn't solve my problem. Anyone have any experience or ideas?
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 09-10-2002, 09:43 AM   #2
Heaven

I've only ever modified the sound field in UnitUI.slk, and that only for one or two units so far.

Never had a problem.

What exactly are you modifying?

Care.

Old 09-10-2002, 12:01 PM   #3
Shark

i don't think that u can have air shadows..or simply use the provided dragon shadow :)
be careful not to make units with abilities like moon glaive and venom spears (for instance) cuz it will crash the game (hope u understand what i'm trying to say)
usually the problem lies in the abilities and/or weapons and not in the models...but since i never edited any of my mpq's maybe the problem is in models...
dunno :)

Old 09-10-2002, 12:25 PM   #4
Heaven

Quote:
Originally posted by Shark
be careful not to make units with abilities like moon glaive and venom spears (for instance) cuz it will crash the game (hope u understand what i'm trying to say)
I've successfully added Envenomed Spears to the Troll Headhunter unit, which normally has no abilities. It works fine in the game.

I have a building which researches the ability. The Headhunter has the ability, Envenomed Spears. When the research is complete the troll's spears do poison damage.

If you have questions, just ask.

Care.

Old 09-10-2002, 03:29 PM   #5
Nozdormu
User

Nozdormu has little to show at this moment (0)

In unitui.slk, there are two kinds of shadows, Shadow and ShadowFlyer. Ground and Air. The buildings have different ones. Anyways, like I said, I haven't done anything to abilities, just model file paths(which are all correct, but shouldn't crash if they were wrong anyway), scaling values (selection circles and model), selection circle height (selZ), and the shadow type. I suppose I can narrow it down by changing one by one and testing, but I just don't see why there is problem in the first place.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:41 PM   #6
Shark

Quote:
Originally posted by Heaven
I've successfully added Envenomed Spears to the Troll Headhunter unit, which normally has no abilities. It works fine in the game.

I have a building which researches the ability. The Headhunter has the ability, Envenomed Spears. When the research is complete the troll's spears do poison damage.

If you have questions, just ask.

Care.

i ment not giving him venom spears AND moon glaive...cuz the venom don't spread out to bounce targets, but it deals damage
but since it didn't spread to all targets the damage cannot be done(the target is not being poisoned) so the game crashes....

Old 09-12-2002, 12:24 AM   #7
Ralp

Quote:
Originally posted by Heaven

I'm interested how you did this. Did you preserve the Envenomed Spears upgrade for Wyverns as a seperate ability with a unique research? I've had some problems with research requirements for custom skills, for example: I created a new row in AbilityData.slk, based on Ashm, Shadowmeld, and changed the alias and uberalias to Ashx. I also created an upgrade, Rshx, and put the appropriate "Requires=Rshx" line in the [Ashx] section which I created in NightElfAbilityFunc.txt. (I also did all the irrelevant things like assigned buttonart, etc.)
However, units with this Ashx ability (they also have Rshx listed under "Upgrades Used" so that's not the problem) were always able to Shadowmeld, with or without the upgrade.
I was able to get it to work by making Ashm (that is, normal Shadowmeld) dependent upon Rshx in NEAbilityFunc.txt, but then changing the Ashm entry in AbilityData.slk to NOT check dependencies -- a 0 in the checkDep column, like a creep ability. Now, the unit to which I granted the Ashx ability is not a Night Elf unit, but rather a creep that I made trainable by the Night Elves, so maybe I should be messing with NeutralAbility*.txt, but I doubt it.

-- Ralp

Old 09-12-2002, 02:25 PM   #8
Heaven

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralp
I'm interested how you did this.

It was surprisingly easy. First I edited UnitUI.slk by adding a row for the Troll Headhunter at the bottom. No preexisting abilities, just a blank row. This was so I could add abilities to the unit in the Editor.

Next I added Envenomed Spears (the Ability) to the Troll Headhunter unit in the WE.

I then added Envenomed Spears as a researchable upgrade to an Orc building.

Finally, I think I removed any requirements for envenomed spears in the XXXUpgradeFunc.txt file. Can't remember on this one.

Anyway, after the proper building is constructed and the upgrade researched, all of the Troll Headhunters started doing poison damage.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Care.

Closed Thread