wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Town Hall > WC3C News
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 02-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

Default So, about the downtime

Hello all, I have some terrible news.

Well, as you may have noticed if your wc3c activity is often enough, the site was having some db issues since about last week. I tried to fix them a bit last week and they seemed to work but the fix was only temporary. On Thursday, I noticed some strange issues with the home page script. It turns out that there were whole issues with the resource section caused by database issues. The situation became much worse as the hours passed until the database server's hard drive finally gave in...

As the database server is beyond our control, I contacted Tim, remember Tim? Then he contacted the owner of the server. And here are the bad news, which you could have already noticed. The only backup available was from 1 year ago. I am very sorry about this. It seems that until a year ago backups happened weekly, but it stopped happening. We were promised this won't happen again, but of course we lost one year of wc3c activity. Which is equivalent to around 2 weeks of a real web site's activity, which is still very bad.

Sorry guys.

----
Anyway, if you changed your password within the last year, you will probably need to remember and use the old one. Also if you still have any confidence and hope in the site, it would be a good idea to update whatever resource / map you submitted. If it was a script, we can probably use google cache to recover things up. But the time coming is not going to be fun nevertheless.
-------
Edit: All the attachments uploaded last year might be recoverable, so if you cannot find an attachment, but have a way to remember the attachment id (or even if you don't), then we can try to look for it (No guarantees), reply here or something in that case.
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Vexorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 02-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Eh, I had a longer post written up but lost it due to the new passwords.

This kinda sucks but I'm just glad it's not worse, as long as the site is back we can repost anything important from the last year. Most of my activity has been helping people with triggering problems, while all those posts are lost for future reference at least they had served their purpose at the time they were posted so that's all right. As far as the (few) resources that I've made/updated in the last year go I obviously still have them on my hard drive and will be reposting them soon.

I'm just glad the site is back. We may have almost no activity, but that "almost" is an important distinction.

Edit: Funny thing: I still have a thread open in another tab that I opened before the downtime. The thread no longer exists on the site, just in my browser tab. It's nothing important (just Nestharus's TimerTools :) ), but I still feel reluctant to close that tab as doing so would erase the thread completely.

Last edited by Anitarf : 02-17-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Anitarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:12 AM   #3
Fledermaus
default string

Submissions (1)

Fledermaus has a spectacular aura about (143)

Send a message via MSN to Fledermaus

All my rep is gone :c
Fledermaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:34 AM   #4
moyack
Evil Emoticon

Respected User
Project Leader: PoC

Submissions (17)

moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)

AI Tournament #2 - 2nd PlaceHero Contest - Second place

Send a message via MSN to moyack

what a shame :(

Is there a way to set the database in the cloud, actually it's safer.

Last edited by moyack : 02-18-2013 at 03:43 AM.
moyack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:08 AM   #5
Kyrbi0
~There we go~

Submissions (1)

Kyrbi0 has a spectacular aura about (143)

Send a message via MSN to Kyrbi0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledermaus
All my rep is gone :c
Glad I'm not the only one... :P

Umm... Well that's a shame. On one hand, glad I didn't do much to be lost, but still, quite a shame. Well, nice thing about being Trollish undead is that when your extremities fall off, you can just stick it back on again.

What-ho.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:10 AM   #6
deolrin
Tas'dingo!

Submissions (13)

deolrin is a jewel in the rough (166)deolrin is a jewel in the rough (166)

Send a message via MSN to deolrin

I think SoC got annihilated. Can't find the thread anywhere.

~Gladiator, Sacred
deolrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)

Approved Map: When the Freedom Slips Away

Send a message via MSN to Rao Dao Zao

I don't think I submitted anything of value in the last year, but god damn.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
jrhetf4xb
User

jrhetf4xb has little to show at this moment (0)

Good thing I remember the previous e-mail I was using for my account and just managed to request a new password (no idea what my first one was :D).
Is the Scripts section still intact or did we lose a resource or two? I have really recent copies of some commonly used script in a few fresh maps of mine.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)Anitarf has a brilliant future (883)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

If you have the time you can check the threads but I don't think any of the really commonly used scripts have had an update in the last year.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

cohadar is a jewel in the rough (246)cohadar is a jewel in the rough (246)cohadar is a jewel in the rough (246)cohadar is a jewel in the rough (246)cohadar is a jewel in the rough (246)

People are still here, that is all we need.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)

Approved Map: When the Freedom Slips Away

Send a message via MSN to Rao Dao Zao

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohadar
People are still here, that is all we need.
We have the technology, we can rebuild the site!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
deolrin
Tas'dingo!

Submissions (13)

deolrin is a jewel in the rough (166)deolrin is a jewel in the rough (166)

Send a message via MSN to deolrin

I think JNGP had an update recently, though, no? I seem to recall a discussion in the thread.

~Gladiator, Sacred
deolrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #13
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deolrin
I think JNGP had an update recently, though, no? I seem to recall a discussion in the thread.
There were some third party packages made that also supported cohadar's c-JassHelper, but I don't think there has been a new official release since v5d.

However, I think there has been a new release of the map optimizer in the meantime.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
2-P
la la la

Terrain Moderator

Submissions (14)

2-P is a glorious beacon of light (423)2-P is a glorious beacon of light (423)2-P is a glorious beacon of light (423)

It was snowing and the site was down, felt like Christmas.
2-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
Mystic Prophet
User

Mystic Prophet is on a distinguished road (16)

Send a message via AIM to Mystic Prophet Send a message via MSN to Mystic Prophet

Wow. That is pretty bad news. Hopefully people won't have too much trouble recovering. I'm still lurking as always. This site will remain my go to source for all things wc3.
Mystic Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote