wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Skinning / Texturing
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 10-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
bananaHUNT
User

Submissions (1)

bananaHUNT has little to show at this moment (21)

Just a quick outline, any ideas/critique is much welcome!
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled-2 copy.png (146.1 KB, 284 views)
bananaHUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 10-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
AnemicRoyalty

Texturing Moderator
Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (23)

AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (523)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (523)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (523)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (523)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (523)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (523)

Skinning Contest #14 WinnerSkinning Contest #15 WinnerHero Contest #2 - 1st Place

Hi banana, welcome to WC3C!

The concept looks solid, with all the appropriate ogre-y bits'n'bobs. Can't really say much more as it's just an outline presently.

UIs are always a useful addition :)
  • DIII: TFA Textures
  • Finish and release a bunch of stuff
AnemicRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
bananaHUNT
User

Submissions (1)

Hey what up, thanks.
Yeah I'm gonna start colouring it during this week, but perhaps there are some mistakes already or some great ideas that I could use?

I see you're a mod so I'll PM you for something
Old 10-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

It looks pretty cool. On a concept level, I think it's got all the necessary components and looks sufficiently different from the others. There's really not much else I can comment on at this stage. Good stuff so far.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the site and stuff!
OD v0.10x Download

Coming soon eventually...

Personal To-Do List:
ICARUS
Aot3

WC3C Chat
Chat IP: 66.103.20.109
Earthbound 2 in English
vJass Manual

"DAMAGE_TYPE_POISON motherfucker!" ~Anitarf
Rising_Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
bananaHUNT
User

Submissions (1)

What d'you think of the wood

Last edited by bananaHUNT : 10-13-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

It's a bit shiny for wood. Looks more like plastic than wood, honestly, but it still looks passable and good. I feel like it could be done a bit better with better texturing (texture as in a wood texture) and less reflectivity. You can still shade it and color it, though, and I actually recommend it. (You can stick a knot in the wood, for example)
OD v0.10x Download

Coming soon eventually...

Personal To-Do List:
ICARUS
Aot3

WC3C Chat
Chat IP: 66.103.20.109
Earthbound 2 in English
vJass Manual

"DAMAGE_TYPE_POISON motherfucker!" ~Anitarf
Rising_Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
Alevice
It feels good

Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)

for the wood, i would recommend sliding the hue change a bit towards yellow on the brighter regions, and even so, not so saturated :P

you have a very good outline foundation, but i dont think your current bright coloring is making it justice. try to get more inspiration on color schemes from the hord ui and its banners on wow :P

Alevice.jones is SC2 Beta, losers.

Check out my never updated deviantart gallery!!

Kalimdor Raiders (Race Contest #1) Pastebin Page
Cavern Crawlers (Race Contest #2) Pastebin Page
Airship Race Motherfuckers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://ajaxian.com/archives/would-you-like-a-_-with-that-new-library-gives-js-what-it-should-have#comment-276203
- Dont solve problems that dont exist.
- Improve the wheel, dont reinvent it.
- Port the wheel if it doesnt exist in your environment.
- Integrate the wheel into your project.
- Make sure you can replace your wooden wheel for a rubber one if someone else invents it.

Last edited by Alevice : 10-13-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Alevice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:39 PM   #8
AnemicRoyalty

Texturing Moderator

Submissions (23)

AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (523)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (523)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (523)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (523)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (523)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (523)

Skinning Contest #14 WinnerSkinning Contest #15 WinnerHero Contest #2 - 1st Place

Light source is key for this, look at the ingame UIs for reference. Notice how on the Orc UI the lighting is mainly from above and slightly from the front, whereas on yours the light is coming square on from the front. Also notice that on the ingame UI, the wood has those lovely dark saturated colours (tending toward the red) for the shading with only medium ochre for the highlights as opposed to the bright tan. That's what is giving yours the 'plastic-y' look. Finally, notice how the lighting is fairly subdued on the ingame UI. Flashy interfaces are nice and appealing but at the end of the day if the UI is stealing attention from the game it's not doing it's job. Keep in mind that the main focus of your eye should be on the units and terrain, only taking time to appreciate the UI when there's a spare moment.

Looking good so far, consider the points we've raised and keep it up!
  • DIII: TFA Textures
  • Finish and release a bunch of stuff
AnemicRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #9
Infrisios
User

Infrisios is on a distinguished road (12)

Quite good start.
The squares for unit orders seem a bit too irregular, mainly if you compare the upper left one too others.
But right now that's all I can say. Looks like it has good potential!
Infrisios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #10
mistertea
User

Submissions (6)

mistertea is on a distinguished road (13)

You are my hero,man! I need an ogre interface,If u need help in anything,you just have to ask me.
Please,when you finish this, add it as a resource.If you do so,I'll rep you good :)
mistertea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #11
Nuclear Arbitor
Reputation Leech

Submissions (1)

Nuclear Arbitor has a spectacular aura about (83)Nuclear Arbitor has a spectacular aura about (83)Nuclear Arbitor has a spectacular aura about (83)

i feel it is incomplete without partially eaten drumsticks
Nuclear Arbitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:26 AM
Nuclear Arbitor
This message has been deleted by Nuclear Arbitor.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:26 AM
Nuclear Arbitor
This message has been deleted by Nuclear Arbitor.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #12
Mc !
Master Creator !

Acting art director

Submissions (101)

Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1117)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd PlaceModeling session 2 - Chimeras

Send a message via MSN to Mc !

The outline is really nice. But right now you're making it quite cartoony. Look other UIs as reference, although they are drawings and all, they have an interesting level of detail when it comes to coloring.

Awesomeness = #Rep / #Posts
Mc ! is offline   Reply With Quote