wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Resources > Code Resources > Scripts
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 11-16-2009, 10:13 AM   #16
Viikuna-
User

Viikuna- will become famous soon enough (44)Viikuna- will become famous soon enough (44)

Quote:
The way I understood it, he wanted to reduce the duration of one source of the stun. Doing that in a map where other stun sources may be present is the tricky part, you would need some sort of a refcounted buff to accomplish that

Yea, exactly like this.

I tend to think buffs as collections of timed effects.

-One buff does slow and damage over time.
-Other one does stun and damage over time.
-Other one does only slow.
-Other one does stun and armor reduction.

etc.

Now we do some nasty fire spell to burn this one unit, which has all those buffs.

We would have to remove that 4th. buff from unit, because this buff type belongs to water class ( lets say that this map has some elemental stuff so water vaporizes away because of this fire spell ), but unit still stays stunned because that 2nd buff is not removed, because its bufftype belongs to fire class and its duration is inceresed instead.

Some stuff like that for example.

This would be no problem if you only use buffs to control timed effects, and make those actual effects like armor decereasing and stunning work so that you only add and remove those effects in those buff systems function interface function thingies.

Last edited by Viikuna- : 11-16-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Viikuna- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 11-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #17
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Not all buffs are like that. However, I am well underway of converting StunUnit library into the UniqueCast library. So far I am 3/4 done.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:50 AM   #18
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Updated.
  • Changed the library name to UnitStatus to account for the following massive feature implementations.
  • Now supports Stun, Silence, Disarm, Ensnare, and Disable and their *Timed variants. (Disable does not have a *Timed version because it makes no sense)
  • Now properly supports stacking of all of the above listed status effects.
  • Now offers a DisableUnit option for users to disable units (instead of pausing them) that stacks properly with Stun. (Stun takes precedence in all cases)
I put way too much time into this, so I hope you guys like it. I noted all strange exceptions in the documentation, so give it a read-over before you use it. There are lots of weird warnings too, and even an ObjectMerger bug that you need to be careful of if you want Disarm to work.

Anyways, enjoy!
Old 11-17-2009, 10:23 AM   #19
Viikuna-
User

Viikuna- will become famous soon enough (44)Viikuna- will become famous soon enough (44)

Tested and it looks cool.

About these few problems:

Disarm Problem with magic immunity

That kinda sucks, you should use Abun ability instead of drunken haze.

From PitzerMikes guide thingy:

Quote:
Abun (Cargo Hold): If added to a unit it disables the unit's ability to attack other units. Even the attack icon and shortcut are removed from the command card. To enable the attack again simply remove the cargo hold ability. Together with orb abilities it should give you complete control over the attack indices of units.

I tested it to one dryad in your test map and it seems to be working fine.

Ensnare Problem; flying units can be attacked by ground units.

Actually, I think this is OK like this, since its mentioned in documentation and all.

You could use either UnitProperties or BonusMod, or some other system that does move speed control stuff, to set units move speed to 0, but I guess that those people who already use those systems dont really need any extra function for it and can do better without.

Adding some lame static if abuse might be possible, no?, but I personally dont really like that stuff for some weird and irrational&emotional reason.

Anyways, I think this is cool + nice and smooth and everything.

Last edited by Viikuna- : 11-17-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #20
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viikuna-
That kinda sucks, you should use Abun ability instead of drunken haze.
Wait, you tried it and didn't notice that it doesn't remove the attack UI? You know, the whole damage thing above the unit's armor on its command card? That's kind of important. There's a reason I didn't use Abun, you know. :p

Also, if a user is ok with just adding Abun, there's no reason to need a script for it. (It's one line of code)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viikuna=
You could use either UnitProperties or BonusMod, or some other system that does move speed control stuff, to set units move speed to 0, but I guess that those people who already use those systems dont really need any extra function for it and can do better without.
Ugh, you really need to test these things before reporting them. First of all, even with your magickal UnitProperties or BonusMod, the minimum unit movement is not truly 0. (Even with the corresponding gameplay constant set to 0) Try casting a blink ability after setting a unit's movement speed to 0 with one of those systems, it will still work. You don't get the "Caster movement has been disabled error", which is one of the most important features of ensnare. Better yet, just try setting a unit's move speed to 0 with any of those systems and order the unit to walk. It'll take time, but it can get to any point you want it to.

Also, and even more importantly, I bet you didn't try that on morphing units. I included the DotT and DotC for good reason. Morphs undo the effects of SetUnitMoveSpeed on units. However, the proper UI (given by Ensnare), completely prevents morph abilities.

Go ahead, try it in my test map, you'll find that nothing in Wc3 but Ensnare does what I'm trying to do here. Entangling Roots kind of does, but it has the problem of preventing attacks since TFT and there's no way to get around that. (Which makes ensnare the better choice)

EDIT:
I updated the testmap in the first post so the DotC upgrades are initially researched and the Huntress has a blink ability. You can totally see why Ensnare is the only solution now, no excuses. :p

Last edited by Rising_Dusk : 11-17-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Rising_Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #21
Viikuna-
User

Yea, it doesnt remove attack command card. I myself dont find this a problee, though, because it just tells that unit is a type of unit that is capable of attacking ( usually ) but cant attack right now, because it has its attack ability removed.

Maybe its a matter of taste, since you can make a map without magic immunity abilities, by simply triggering your magic immunity along with all the other stuff.

That blink thing is no problem really, because you can fake that message and prevent unit from blinking.
If you are using unit properties or bonus mod for all property stuff, you can always refresh those properties after morphing. Also if one wants to prevent unit from moving, it doesnt neccesarily mean that he wants to prevent it form morphing.
So, its basicly unit moving really slow vs. that flying units can be attacked thingy. ( Ok, maybe its a matter of taste too. Both are nastly lil problems, but nothing too big, at least IMO. )

Anyways good points indeed. Thanks for answering, hey. Its nice to know why exactly one chooses to do stuff in one way and things like that.

Last edited by Viikuna- : 11-17-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:53 PM   #22
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Quote:
That blink thing is no problem really, because you can fake that message and prevent unit from blinking.
If you are using unit properties or bonus mod for all property stuff, you can always refresh those properties after morphing. Also if one wants to prevent unit from moving, it doesnt neccesarily mean that he wants to prevent it form morphing.
You can't black out the morph abilities using some other library. The only way to do that is to make all morph abilities have techtree requirements. (Huge pain in the ass and retarded overhead for a library) Having to intercept all blink spells is also a load of crap when a better solution (Ensnare) is available, especially because even the best intercept method (LastOrder) is still slightly imperfect. The biggest problem is that 0 MS isn't 0, the unit can still walk. Compared to the flying unit problem, which only applies to a small subset of all units, the non-0-MS problem that applies to all units is much worse.
Quote:
Yea, it doesnt remove attack command card. I myself dont find this a problee, though, because it just tells that unit is a type of unit that is capable of attacking ( usually ) but cant attack right now, because it has its attack ability removed.

Maybe its a matter of taste, since you can make a map without magic immunity abilities, by simply triggering your magic immunity along with all the other stuff.
Then you can add Abun in your maps. I, myself, find it a terribly ugly UI problem. If a unit cannot attack, it shouldn't display attack stats.
Quote:
Anyways good points indeed. Thanks for answering, hey. Its nice to know why exactly one chooses to do stuff in one way and things like that.
No problemo.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #23
Viikuna-
User

Quote:
Then you can add Abun in your maps. I, myself, find it a terribly ugly UI problem. If a unit cannot attack, it shouldn't display attack stats.

To be honest I didnt even noticed the whole thing before you mentioned it. But hey, thats just me.

Quote:
Having to intercept all blink spells is also a load of crap when a better solution (Ensnare) is available

I agree, if you want the exact blizzard blink mechanics.

( Actually, many people want it, I guess, since blink has pretty cool pathing detecting thingies and other stuff, am I right? )

But still, even so little change as making blink distance affected by slowing buffs requires you to trigger it, so you would have to do that stuff anyways.

But yea, unit still moves. Really slowly, but it still moves. That is indeed a problem.
I guess I just gotta admit that you are right.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #24
Mr.Malte
User

Submissions (2)

Mr.Malte is on a distinguished road (11)

Cant you use the dragonhwak ability to disable moving?
Without the flaw that air units become attackable for only-gorund attacking units.
Mr.Malte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #25
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

I don't exactly remember the properties of Aerial Shackles, but I was pretty sure that it functioned as a channeled stun. (Prevents them from attacking, moving, casting spells, etc.)
Old 11-18-2009, 06:27 PM   #26
Tot

Tot will become famous soon enough (53)Tot will become famous soon enough (53)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
I don't exactly remember the properties of Aerial Shackles, but I was pretty sure that it functioned as a channeled stun. (Prevents them from attacking, moving, casting spells, etc.)

yep, at least dota's version (think it's the same like blizz one)
  • hunting emos
Old 11-20-2009, 10:54 AM   #27
grim001
requires vJass

Code Moderator

Submissions (10)

grim001 is just really nice (277)grim001 is just really nice (277)

Send a message via AIM to grim001

OK, I finally took the time to look at this. I am impressed. I was going to make something nearly identical a while back but I got sidetracked (same as SoundUtils) so I'm glad someone else made it.

Here are my comments:
  • The documentation for Disable should make it more noticeable that it lacks a timed variant. Also, why doesn't it have one?
  • Object merger calls should probably be uncommented by default, although I see that there are a ton of them which may cause the user inconvenience if they try to save before reading the documentation to that point... guess it is up to you.
  • Would be better to make all the generated abilities non-hero abilities (unless they need to be hero abilities for some reason).
  • Typo in the last sentence of your documentation.
  • The disarm ability generates just fine for me, do you have any idea why it would randomly fail? Has it happened more than once for you?
  • Creating your own dummy caster is not such an easy task. Its cast point needs to be set to 0 otherwise it could fail to cast the spell multiple times during the same instant, for example. This makes me think xebasic shouldn't be optional here. I just posted a request in the xe thread to include an object merger call to generate the dummy unit, which will make it even more useful.
  • Couldn't Disable be replaced with a non-graphical version of stun? This would probably let you shorten the code, as well.
  • This will probably piss you off (flashback to SoundUtils) but call StunUnit(u, true); call StunUnit(u, false) and StunUnitTimed(u, 0.) (and the other variants) fail to work properly.

Last edited by grim001 : 11-20-2009 at 11:11 AM.
grim001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #28
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim001
The documentation for Disable should make it more noticeable that it lacks a timed variant. Also, why doesn't it have one?
It'd be very easy to include, but I just couldn't find a use for it. I've never in all of my modding travels needed "PauseUnitTimed," and since DisableUnit exists as a replacement to PauseUnit, cannot think of a use for DisableUnitTimed. Can you? If you can, it's just a textmacro away from creating it.
Quote:
Object merger calls should probably be uncommented by default, although I see that there are a ton of them which may cause the user inconvenience if they try to save before reading the documentation to that point... guess it is up to you.
I always leave them commented out by default for all of my libraries. If the library mysteriously doesn't work, they should read the documentation, which should tell them "Oh duh, OM calls!" I know as a noob user, I'd rather something doesn't work, forcing me to read documentation and fix it by doing it right than, for instance, leaving the lines uncommented every time I save my (already huge) maps. :P
Quote:
Would be better to make all the generated abilities non-hero abilities (unless they need to be hero abilities for some reason).
They do, for them to work on spell immune targets. This is also why they require a hero level >1. Notice that this unfortunately (damned Blizzard), doesn't make DisarmUnit work on spell immune units. (It is just hero for consistency) This is ok, though, since the dummy doesn't have to be a hero to use them.
Quote:
Typo in the last sentence of your documentation.
Accursed apostrophe!
Quote:
The disarm ability generates just fine for me, do you have any idea why it would randomly fail? Has it happened more than once for you?
Yes, actually. It happened to me repeatedly ~6 times in a row before I edited the generated ability manually to get it to work. Ani and I couldn't figure out what was wrong or why it was screwing up that specific field, so I decided to just mention it in the documentation as a possible quirk. (Better safe than sorry)
Quote:
Couldn't Disable be replaced with a non-graphical version of stun? This would probably let you shorten the code, as well.
Err, Disable is a non-graphical version of stun. It can't use the textmacro (like stun) because stun and disable interact in special ways so that their behavior is correct. (All stun buffs normally overwrite) Try disabling a stunned unit in the testmap, then unstun the unit right after. You'll see what I'm talking about.
Quote:
This will probably piss you off (flashback to SoundUtils) but call StunUnit(u, true); call StunUnit(u, false) and StunUnitTimed(u, 0.) (and the other variants) fail to work properly.
For different reasons, thankfully. I will simply return a false boolean for XXXUnitTimed(u, 0.) because it is just wrong to stun a unit for a zero value. (Did you notice that apparently it also allows passing of negative durations? Woops)

And f*cking non-instant orders. I will fix that with a 0. timer check. I hate that checks for this shit just bloat the code. Why can't we just assume that users aren't f*cktarded again?

The code just went from elegant to ugly in no time at all.

Last edited by Rising_Dusk : 11-20-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Rising_Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #29
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Updated.
  • Code now supports *Unit(u, true) and *Unit(u, false) in sequence. (Significantly longer as a result, oh well)
  • Fixed a few typos in the documentation and explained why I don't have DisableUnitTimed.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:14 AM   #30
grim001
requires vJass

Code Moderator

Submissions (10)

grim001 is just really nice (277)grim001 is just really nice (277)

Send a message via AIM to grim001

Quote:
Err, Disable is a non-graphical version of stun. It can't use the textmacro (like stun) because stun and disable interact in special ways so that their behavior is correct. (All stun buffs normally overwrite) Try disabling a stunned unit in the testmap, then unstun the unit right after. You'll see what I'm talking about.
OK, I think the documentation should mention that Disable is a non-graphical version of stun. Some maps may want to create version of stun that doesn't use the standard buff or graphic, so it is not just a PauseUnit replacement. For that reason I think a timed version could be useful.

Also, about the interaction between stun and disable, I find the whole section a little bit misleading. They actually interact like any other two buffs (as far as the user is concerned) except for the fact that when a unit is both stunned and disabled, the disable buff will not be visible. I think that explaining it that way would get the point across more clearly.

Quote:
For different reasons, thankfully. I will simply return a false boolean for XXXUnitTimed(u, 0.) because it is just wrong to stun a unit for a zero value.
What if you want to use a 0 second stun as an interrupt?

Quote:
And f*cking non-instant orders. ... Why can't we just assume that users aren't f*cktarded again?
I doubt anyone will intentionally write call StunUnit(u, true); call StunUnit(u, false), but things could get more complicated if you're using a buff system. Maybe a buff that applied stun could get removed in subsequent code before any time has elapsed.

So what about the dummy unit? I don't think creating your own working dummy unit is that simple, so perhaps xebasic should be non-optional, especially if it gets an object merger call to generate the dummy soon.

You could include a reminder in the documentation that you can edit the icons, buff descriptions, and artwork applied by each of the buffs by editing the generated buffs in the object editor. It's kinda obvious, but I have a feeling some people will forget since everyone tries to avoid looking at the object editor as much as possible.

Also, the library doesn't compile in debug mode.
grim001 is offline   Reply With Quote