wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Resources > Code Resources > Systems
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 09-29-2011, 06:15 AM   #166
Ignitedstar

RP Section Moderator

Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)

Send a message via MSN to Ignitedstar Send a message via Yahoo to Ignitedstar

Hey, Dusk. You're... still... alive... right...?

I have a few questions. I noticed that the base ability you used for your auras in IBS is Tornado. Was this something you did by default just because, or was it because you need Tornado's "disappears when on command card" scheme? Unless IBS is already using the spellbook trick?

Also, IBS does use levels, doesn't it? I noticed that IBS doesn't have a GetUnitBuffLevel function. At the same time, I noticed that buffs handled by IBS don't seem to have an assigned level on the buff. I can understand why since the base ID of the buff doesn't have levels, but wouldn't this affect how GetUnitAbilityLevel detects buff levels? I'm concerned because I need buffs with levels on them.
I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge,
and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."

1 Corinthians 13:1-2

Current Works:
None.

Last edited by Ignitedstar : 09-29-2011 at 06:17 AM.
Ignitedstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 09-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #167
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitedstar
Hey, Dusk. You're... still... alive... right...?
Last Activity: 09-19-2011
Surprisingly, yes.

Quote:
I have a few questions. I noticed that the base ability you used for your auras in IBS is Tornado. Was this something you did by default just because, or was it because you need Tornado's "disappears when on command card" scheme? Unless IBS is already using the spellbook trick?
I doubt it, since the only reason to use tornado aura is to avoid having to use the spellbook trick. Why would you need to use other auras anyway?

Quote:
Also, IBS does use levels, doesn't it? I noticed that IBS doesn't have a GetUnitBuffLevel function. At the same time, I noticed that buffs handled by IBS don't seem to have an assigned level on the buff. I can understand why since the base ID of the buff doesn't have levels, but wouldn't this affect how GetUnitAbilityLevel detects buff levels? I'm concerned because I need buffs with levels on them.
GetUnitAbilityLevel will always return 1 for buffs the unit has, regardless of their actual level. The only way to get a level of a buff is to get the dbuff's level, for example GetEventBuff().level. However, it is unfortunate that the system doesn't attempt to match the ability's level with the buff level like ABuff does, since even if you can't detect it with GetUnitAbilityLevel you could still use it to have different tooltips for different levels.

Last edited by Anitarf : 09-29-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Anitarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #168
Ignitedstar

RP Section Moderator

Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitarf
I doubt it, since the only reason to use tornado aura is to avoid having to use the spellbook trick. Why would you need to use other auras anyway?
Because it annoys me that all buffs based on Tornado are labeled red. If it can't be helped I'm fine with it, but yeah, I'm that kind of person. -_-

Quote:
GetUnitAbilityLevel will always return 1 for buffs the unit has, regardless of their actual level. The only way to get a level of a buff is to get the dbuff's level, for example GetEventBuff().level. However, it is unfortunate that the system doesn't attempt to match the ability's level with the buff level like ABuff does, since even if you can't detect it with GetUnitAbilityLevel you could still use it to have different tooltips for different levels.
Uugh... Funny thing is, is that I didn't realize any of these small issues with IBS until after I had fully implemented it to handle all of the buffs in my map. In retrospect, I couldn't use ABuff when I made the decision at the time because structs made absolutely no sense to me. I really need the level functionality; It seems that switching over is the best decision.
and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."

Current Works:
None.

Last edited by Ignitedstar : 09-29-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #169
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Quote:
Because it annoys me that all buffs based on Tornado are labeled red. If it can't be helped I'm fine with it, but yeah, I'm that kind of person. -_-
I think colour codes can be used to override the default red colour. It makes a mess out of your buff names in the object editor, but as long as you can identify your buffs based on their icons it's not such a big deal.

Quote:
Uugh... Funny thing is, is that I didn't realize any of these small issues with IBS until after I had fully implemented it to handle all of the buffs in my map. In retrospect, I couldn't use ABuff when I made the decision at the time because structs made absolutely no sense to me. I really need the level functionality; It seems that switching over is the best decision.
Well, you could also add the level functionality to IBS, it's just one additional line in the create method to set the level when new buffs are created and the same line in the UnitAddBuff function to update the level when a buff is reapplied. Of course, if you have other issues with the system, switching may still be preferable.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #170
Ignitedstar

RP Section Moderator

LOL I don't know how exactly, but I got buff levels to work. I also got the most important function I needed to work:

GetUnitBuffLevel takes unit target, integer whichType returns integer

A slight "issue": it takes about 5 seconds for the buffs to hit the proper level number. The buffs stay at level 1 for ~5 seconds and then goes to its proper level, but I tested whether or not this would affect their effectiveness. It doesn't; it's just warcraft's engine "catching up" with itself or something, which is great news for me.

But I honestly don't care about that. I saved myself a week's worth of writing, testing, and debugging. I'm happy.

Current Works:
None.

Last edited by Ignitedstar : 09-29-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:55 AM   #171
Fledermaus
default string

Submissions (1)

Fledermaus is a jewel in the rough (160)Fledermaus is a jewel in the rough (160)

Send a message via MSN to Fledermaus

Quote:
I think colour codes can be used to override the default red colour. It makes a mess out of your buff names in the object editor, but as long as you can identify your buffs based on their icons it's not such a big deal.
Yup. Green colour code is 0000ff00 and if you change Name (Editor Only) to the buffs name, it will display it in the editor without the colour code tags, very nice.

Quote:
LOL I don't know how exactly, but I got buff levels to work.
Just making sure you're setting the ability level in the buff create method and in "buff already exists" part of UnitAddBuff?
Fledermaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:30 PM   #172
Ignitedstar

RP Section Moderator

From what you posted to Ani, that's what I figured that I was supposed to do if I wanted to get away from all buff names being red.

Yes, first part is right. As for the second part; I was thinking about it. I was afraid of what would happen to buffs if I put SetUnitAbilityLevel in an either/or case, so I decided to put it right before the if statement.

Current Works:
None.

Last edited by Ignitedstar : 09-30-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #173
Ch4nKyy
User

Ch4nKyy has little to show at this moment (0)

opening the map with standard editor or jassnewgenpack5d and will throw an error.
what am i doing wrong?
Ch4nKyy is offline   Reply With Quote