wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Project Discussion > Map Submissions
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 05-01-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
Deaod
User

Submissions (11)

Deaod is a jewel in the rough (192)Deaod is a jewel in the rough (192)Deaod is a jewel in the rough (192)

Default (1) Gravity Hook

Gravity Hook 1.2.0
Inspired by Gravity Hook by Adam Atomic.

This map requires Reinventing the Craft and only works with WC3 1.24b and up.

Gameplay:
While you hold down your left mouse button you get sucked towards the mine next to your cursor when you pressed the button. As long as you hold down the button you are accelerated towards that mine. But: As long as you hold down the button you can collide with that mine. Once you release the button you can no longer collide with the mine, but you also lose the acceleration.
You will start to fall down, and once you reach the lower bound, you lose (unless you fall on the ground, in which case you will bounce).
You can also bounce off the walls.

The goal is to get as high as possible. You use the acceleration from hooking to mines to swing yourself higher. Then you hook the next mine and use that one as your catapult.

The red line indicates the mine you will be hooked to when you press the left mouse button, unless you are currently hooked to a mine, in which case it indicates the mine youre currently hooked to.
The white line indicates the mine youre currently hooked to. Its invisible while youre not hooked to a mine.

Screenshots:
Attachment 42589Attachment 42590Attachment 42591Attachment 42592Attachment 42593

Commands:
-fix: Sometimes, after reading the Quest-Log, the mouse triggers malfunction. This command recreates those triggers.

Credits:
- MindWorX and SFilip for RtC. Without their work this map wouldve been impossible.
- Adam Atomic and Danny Baranowsky for the original Gravity Hook.
- Vexorian for JassHelper, his Optimizer, TimerUtils, his dummy model and CSData.
- grim001 for fixing up the physics in this map.

Changelog:

Version 1.1.0
- Improved the gameplay by changing the way the acceleration towards the hooked mine is calculated.
- Improved efficiency by implementing simple unit recycling.
- Other minor performance related changes.

Version 1.1.1
- Hopefully fixed most problems related to starting this map.
- Added a command to fix problems related to viewing the quest log.

Version 1.2.0
- Updated to use the latest RtC version, which also brings compatibility with 1.24e.

This map is open source. You are free to copy parts of it (that is: only parts I have written, so nothing under External Libraries), and use them in your map. But: Your map has to be open source as well, if you directly copy anything.
This map may only be redistributed in its original state, being "unprotected" and readable with JNGP v5d.

For additional fun, try watching a replay of this map.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Gravity_Hook_1.0.0_img.gif (30.1 KB, 112 views)
Attached Files
File Type: w3x Gravity_Hook_1.2.0.w3x (53.7 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by Deaod : 06-25-2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Updated to 1.2.0
Deaod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 05-01-2009, 01:38 AM   #2
Anopob
Yay!

Anopob has a spectacular aura about (120)

I remember this in the .. art gallery area or something like this. Giving this a try now (once I get RtC to work)!
Better Ways of Requesting For Help - Race Contest #2 WIP Thread (Bone Race)
As of December 1st I have my blue rep. Yay :D
Anopob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Requires RtC, huh? We really should get RtC on this website, then approving maps requiring it wouldn't be so bizarre.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
grim001
requires vJass

Code Moderator

Submissions (10)

grim001 is just really nice (277)grim001 is just really nice (277)

Send a message via AIM to grim001

RtC is packaged into NewGen now, so everyone should have it.

Since I am a fan of Gravity Hook, I had to fix this physics in this so that it's more similar to the real game. I also shortened those damn messages at the start.

Here's my "editor's edition," check it out.
Edit: No need anymore, original version was updated.

Last edited by grim001 : 05-05-2009 at 07:56 AM.
grim001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Oh he packaged it with it? Now that's cool. I haven't had a chance to DL the latest JNGP.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
Deaod
User

Submissions (11)

Deaod is a jewel in the rough (192)Deaod is a jewel in the rough (192)Deaod is a jewel in the rough (192)

Version 1.1.0

I have no idea whether you actually "fixed" the physics, since that kind of acceleration wasnt known to me before, but i trust your judgement, grim.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
grim001
requires vJass

Code Moderator

Submissions (10)

grim001 is just really nice (277)grim001 is just really nice (277)

Send a message via AIM to grim001

Well, when I talk about "physics" in relation to a game like this I am talking from a gameplay perspective rather than a realism perspective.

I tried some more physically realistic formulas at first, but none of them could come close to matching the physics of the real game. A pull that was linearly inverse to distance was producing a pull that was too weak when far away and too strong when next to the mine. This formula turned out to match the behavior of the real game very closely.
grim001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:56 AM   #8
Deaod
User

Submissions (11)

Version 1.1.1
Old 09-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #9
TKF
User

TKF is on a distinguished road (10)

Not that I like singleplayer maps much, but I like this better than the minesweeper map.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
Anachron
User

Anachron will become famous soon enough (51)Anachron will become famous soon enough (51)

I get errors like that:
Collapse JASS:
hashtable          bj_lastCreatedHashtable     = null
Undefined hashtable bj_lastCreatedHashtable
Anachron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:03 PM   #11
Deaod
User

Submissions (11)

Thats because this map is pre-1.24. Im just waiting for a 1.24b compatible RtC version to be released to update this map.

Until then, stick with 1.23 and the corresponding RtC version.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:05 AM   #12
Deaod
User

Submissions (11)

Version 1.2.0

Note that you NEED to update to the latest version of RtC in order to be able to play this map.