wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Skinning / Texturing
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 04-07-2009, 06:07 AM   #1
AnemicRoyalty

Texturing Moderator
Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (23)

AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (523)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (523)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (523)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (523)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (523)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (523)

Skinning Contest #14 WinnerSkinning Contest #15 WinnerHero Contest #2 - 1st Place

Information WC3 Unit Wrap Compilation Project

The WC3 Unit Wrap Compilation Project

Zoom (requires log in)

Back when I first started skinning, I found that one of the greatest obstacles was not
having the model's exact wrap as most WC3 models have some trick or another that could
only be discovered through exhaustive trial and error.
A lot of people don't have modeling programs or the time and energy to go about finding
the wrap of the model. Vertex Modifier is pretty good for that purpose, but due to certain
shortcomings of the program, it leaves much to be desired in terms of clarity.
As a result, I've put together a complete package of the individual wrap (taken from Gmax)
of every unit in the game (excluding any redundancies).

NiRVaNa_87 kindly added the Naga unit wraps to the collection, many thanks to him :)

Individual Image Size: 256x256 pixels & 512x256 pixels (standard)
Format: .jpeg
Races Included: Human, Naga, Orc, Night Elf, Demon, Undead, Critters, RoC Creeps, Other, TFT Creeps

Please note: I have taken liberties in some cases, such as using the portrait version of
the face wrap as opposed to the model version for clarity. In these instances, I tried to
ensure that the outline of the model's head remained.
If there are any issues with any of the wraps, please let me know.

Happy texturing!

Update [08/04/2009]: added Naga Units, courtesy of NiRVaNa_87
Update [14/04/2009]: added Orc Units
Update [08/05/2009]: added Night Elf Units
Update [09/05/2009]: added Demon Units
Update [15/05/2009]: added Undead Units
Update [02/09/2009]: added Critters
Update [11/09/2009]: added RoC Creeps, added Other Units
Update [17/09/2009]: added TFT Creeps

Naga Units
Attached Files
File Type: zip Human Unit Wrap Compilation.zip (1.46 MB, 356 views)
File Type: zip Orc Unit Wrap Compilation.zip (1.42 MB, 137 views)
File Type: zip Night Elf Unit Wrap Compilation.zip (1.55 MB, 162 views)
File Type: zip Demon Unit Wrap Compilation.zip (622.8 KB, 114 views)
File Type: zip Undead Unit Wrap Compilation.zip (1.24 MB, 137 views)
File Type: zip Critters Wrap Compilation.zip (1.20 MB, 90 views)
File Type: zip Other Units Wrap Compilation.zip (383.6 KB, 95 views)
File Type: zip RoC Creeps Wrap Compilation.zip (3.16 MB, 138 views)
File Type: zip TFT Creeps Wrap Compilation.zip (2.16 MB, 92 views)

Last edited by AnemicRoyalty : 09-17-2009 at 01:12 AM.
AnemicRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 04-07-2009, 06:41 AM   #2
RenegadeMushroom
User

RenegadeMushroom is on a distinguished road (18)

Very useful, thanks for taking the time to upload this ;)
Also, are Neutral units going to be included? I kinda figured you would include them, but just in case.. :Þ

Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to AnemicRoyalty again.

Last edited by RenegadeMushroom : 04-07-2009 at 06:42 AM.
RenegadeMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:46 AM   #3
AnemicRoyalty

Texturing Moderator

Submissions (23)

AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (523)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (523)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (523)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (523)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (523)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (523)

Skinning Contest #14 WinnerSkinning Contest #15 WinnerHero Contest #2 - 1st Place

Yes, eventually all units will be included, ie Creeps, Critters, Humans, Orcs, Undead, Night Elves, Demons, Naga and Others. I'm not doing Buildings or Doodads at this stage, but they might be a consideration in the future :)
Old 04-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
Av3n
Roar!

Project Leader: TBR
Project Member: PoC

Submissions (7)

Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)

Hero #4 extra-official winner2008 Spell olympics - Fire - BronzeHero Contest #3 - 3rd Place

This will be so helpful for people learning how to texture ^^.

I'll find some time to practice texturing to see if I can get into it.

-Av3n

Thanks to FatherTime for the sig
.:
Current ProjectsSubmissions
Power of CorruptionMy Terrain
The Black RoadMy Resources
Strikeforce
Twitter
Av3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

This is actually an incredibly cool idea.
OD v0.10x Download

Coming soon eventually...

Personal To-Do List:
Ī ICARUS
Ī Aot3

WC3C Chat
Chat IP: 66.103.20.109
Earthbound 2 in English
vJass Manual

"DAMAGE_TYPE_POISON motherfucker!" ~Anitarf
Rising_Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #6
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)

Approved Map: When the Freedom Slips Away

Send a message via MSN to Rao Dao Zao

Since you've already done a lot of work, this suggestion will probably go down wrong, but...

Wouldn't it be nice to colour-code somehow, to indicate which areas correspond to geosets that are transparent, or team-colour, or neither? So it's easier to immediately see which parts can be butchered and which can't.

Massive excess work, I know, but...
Old 04-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
NiRVaNa_87
!

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (8)

NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)

Skinning Contest #12 WinnerSkinning Contest 6 ~ Ancient Civilization

Wow, this is actually a lot of work, but itīs a great idea indeed.
It could also be a good idea to leave this thread for people to request the UVWs of the model they want to skin, until you have time to post the whole pack.

Anyway, if you need help with this give me a call, I have the stuff to make this too :)
NiRVaNa_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #8
Kyrbi0
~There we go~

Submissions (1)

Kyrbi0 has a spectacular aura about (143)

Send a message via MSN to Kyrbi0

Wow, this looks to be a boat-load of work, but certainly something awexomely helpful. (I wouldn't know; I'm no skinner :P). Good on ya, mate.

Speaking of which, if I may ask, what exactly was the original issue with finding the wraps of models? You say
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicRoyalty
Back when I first started skinning, I found that one of the greatest obstacles was not having the model's exact wrap as most WC3 models have some trick or another that could only be discovered through exhaustive trial and error.
How is that something difficult to find? Do not all models have an unwrap somewhere in the mpq's or something?

(not trying to be funny/annoying here, I honestly didn't know this was a problem).
Old 04-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #9
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrbi0
Do not all models have an unwrap somewhere in the mpq's or something?
Haha... That's cute. :)
OD v0.10x Download

Coming soon eventually...

Personal To-Do List:
Ī ICARUS
Ī Aot3

WC3C Chat
Chat IP: 66.103.20.109
Earthbound 2 in English
vJass Manual

"DAMAGE_TYPE_POISON motherfucker!" ~Anitarf
Rising_Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:10 PM   #10
NiRVaNa_87
!

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (8)

NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)

No, in the mpq you have the original textures used on the game. The skinning dude has to redraw everything from that skin, which turns in either depending too much on the original to get the shapes right, or the trial and error method, which gets boring after some time.

WC3 models also have a lot of problems on the models, like horrible stretchings or shared parts, and having the uvws make the job easier.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #11
Kyrbi0
~There we go~

Submissions (1)

Kyrbi0 has a spectacular aura about (143)

Send a message via MSN to Kyrbi0

Ohhh... Alright, that makes sense. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiRVaNa_87
WC3 models also have a lot of problems on the models, like horrible stretchings or shared parts, and having the uvws make the job easier.
Actually, when I first read the topic-title, I thought that's what he was doing; providing updated models/UVWs of all the messy in-game models, to make skinning much easier (because I've been through some Galleries and seen people griping about the "terrible Demon Hunter/Blood Mage wrap".)
Old 04-07-2009, 11:23 PM   #12
NiRVaNa_87
!

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (8)

Nah, thatīd be stupid and a waste of time and filesize. I wouldnīt like to import a copy of Illidan just to use a custom skin.

EDIT: I actually had most of the Naga UVWs in my wipz folder, I only missed the snapdragon and the flying serpent thing, which I added later in the zip. Theyīre a lot fewer than those human units, but itīs something :P. All of them are in 256x256. The murloc workers are not included, I thought they should be along the other creeps.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Naga Units.zip (404.4 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by NiRVaNa_87 : 04-07-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:32 PM
NiRVaNa_87
This message has been deleted by NiRVaNa_87.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:25 AM   #13
THE_END
THE_Legion General

Project Member: PoC

Submissions (17)

THE_END is just really nice (386)THE_END is just really nice (386)THE_END is just really nice (386)THE_END is just really nice (386)THE_END is just really nice (386)

Hero Contest #3 - 3rd PlaceSkinning Contest 10 ~ Druid of the talon

Send a message via AIM to THE_END Send a message via MSN to THE_END

Damn AR damn great idea, loves it
...bah I'm too lazy to even try to get the software that shows the unwraps
Sorry I couldn't help :P
Old 04-08-2009, 12:35 AM   #14
AnemicRoyalty

Texturing Moderator

Submissions (23)

RDZ: Thats a pretty good idea, but it'd be a brutal amount of work. I'd be happy to do it on request, but not on such a large scale as this.

Nirv: Thanks man, I really appreciate it, I'll add the zip to the first post right away :) Any other UVs you want to add would be a great help too xD
Old 04-08-2009, 04:02 AM   #15
NiRVaNa_87
!

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (8)

I will, when I get the time Iīll PM you to check which one should I do. I donīt want to start making the uvws of some unit you already made :P