wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > General Development
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 03-04-2009, 11:55 PM   #1
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk
Default Race-Building Contest #1

RACE-BUILDING CONTEST #1

A race-building contest is one where entrants create a race for the WC3 melee game. In this case, we are to be making incomplete races akin to the exemplar race already in WC3, the Naga. This is our first contest of this sort, so let's hope that this turns out successful! The outcome of this contest will decide whether or not any contests of this sort are hosted again in the future; let's make it a good one!

Reward:
Award:
Reward:Click image for larger version

Name:	racebuildingcontest1.gif
Views:	39670
Size:	1.2 KB
ID:	40922+30 reputation
The first place winner will be decided by Schulze Method similar to the most recent spell session and the third hero contest. One winner will be chosen and that entry's author will receive the above icon under their name in their profile and a boon of 30 reputation.

Contest Rules:
  • No team entries.
  • One entry per user.
  • Everybody is allowed and encouraged to enter, as long as they follow the rules.
  • WIP screenshots and details of your race are encouraged to be posted so that they might generate interest in the contest.
  • Only one of the units or structures in your created race may use an imported model. You may only import an icon for the unit, a model for the unit (including a portrait, if applicable), and/or a texture for the unit. The imported resources must all be publicly available (With the exception of the unit's icon, if you want one; you can take a screenshot of it and use that if need be).
  • Triggers are allowed in any way, shape, or form in the development of your race.
  • You are free to import a dummy model and/or a hero glow effect model for use with your entry.
  • You are free to import copies of in-game models without the hero glow for use with your entry.
  • You are free to import screenshot-icons of your units/structures as necessary, such as for models without icons in-game.
  • You are free to reimport in-game models in order to fix small issues with them such as animation hiccups or the like. Ask me if you're unsure about this.
  • Any library or system in the resource database at the time of contest creation may be used in the development of your race.
  • You may not submit your entry with an AI designed for it. This is a race-building contest, not an AI contest. If after the contest is over you still want to make an AI to supplement the race, then there's nothing holding you back.
Thematic Rules:
  • No more than 1 tier per submitted race.
  • No more than 1 hero per submitted race.
  • No more than 8 structures per submitted race.
  • No more than 10 units per submitted race.
  • Each race must have a building that fills each of the following roles:
    • Hero Altar
    • Food Supply
    • Defense Tower
    • Town Hall
  • No 'dibs' on races. Multiple users may submit using the same race, though different techtrees. (No plagiarism, etc)
  • Races can be anything, including those races not already in WC3 such as Critters or Farm Animals or whatever.
Submission:
  • All submitted entries must use (4)TurtleRock.w3x as the test map. (Modified as necessary, but not with any drastic changes)
  • All submitted entries must have a filename in the format:
    <MyRaceName>.w3x
  • All submitted entries must have an in-game map name in the format:
    <MyRaceName>
  • All imported content may be no larger than 500kb.
  • Submitted maps may be no larger than 750kb.
When you are completed with your entry, please post it in the Submission Thread. This is to facilitate keeping track of all entries as opposed to having to sort through posts to find them all.

Deadline:

The contest deadline is April 1, 2009 April 8, 2009; (11:59PM, GMT-5).
Potential extensions are possible if many entrants need them.

Last edited by Rising_Dusk : 04-01-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Rising_Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 03-04-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
Kyrbi0
~There we go~

Submissions (1)

Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (152)Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (152)

Send a message via MSN to Kyrbi0

First. I'm so stoked for this. :P

Hey, we should have it where everyone should announce (if/when they enter) which race they are doing and provide WIP screenshots or something. Not like a hard-n-fast "you'll be disqualified without it" rule, but just something to build interest.

--EDIT--
Of course, I would say the above while completely disregarding it myself...

I call Goblins.
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=

Last edited by Kyrbi0 : 03-05-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Kyrbi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:06 AM   #3
ShadowWolf
Mr. Awesome!

Submissions (1)

ShadowWolf will become famous soon enough (39)ShadowWolf will become famous soon enough (39)

Approved Map: SheepGuard TD

I'm so doing a Critters race. Hells yeah. I'm probably going to need to use my one import set on a hero, albeit a giant frog might be pretty cool.

What about changing animations on existing models? Critters don't have any attack animations :(
Old 03-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #4
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Who says they have to attack? Creativity, man.

Oh, and --
Elemental is my race.

Last edited by Rising_Dusk : 03-05-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Rising_Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:28 AM   #5
Ignitedstar

RP Section Moderator

Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)

Send a message via MSN to Ignitedstar Send a message via Yahoo to Ignitedstar

That WOULD be interesting. Huh... It gives me some ideas...
I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge,
and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."

1 Corinthians 13:1-2

Current Works:
None.
Ignitedstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:37 AM   #6
Kyrbi0
~There we go~

Submissions (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
Oh, and --
Elemental is my race.
Aww, snap. I knew this was going to happen.

*prepares to bow before the storm...*
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=
Old 03-05-2009, 01:30 AM   #7
Cherry-Soap
User

Cherry-Soap has little to show at this moment (8)

I guess I'll join in on this :p. I'll either try making Dragonkin or Ursa! Rawr. Probably Ursa though so take dragon if you'd like.

Good luck to everyone else! Good luck to myself, I'll need it :p.
Cherry-Soap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:39 AM   #8
RenegadeMushroom
User

RenegadeMushroom is on a distinguished road (18)

Murlocs FTW!
Good luck to everyone and I, like Cherry-Soap, will need it :P
RenegadeMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:15 AM   #9
Blackroot
User

Blackroot will become famous soon enough (40)Blackroot will become famous soon enough (40)

Spell Making Session 14 Winner

Spider Race <- you all saw me say it!

/sigh this is going to take alot of coding ^^.
Blackroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:44 AM   #10
Av3n
Roar!

Project Leader: TBR
Project Member: PoC

Submissions (7)

Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)

Hero #4 extra-official winner2008 Spell olympics - Fire - BronzeHero Contest #3 - 3rd Place

Chaos Orcs maybe... I mean who doesn't want to do them ^^

-Av3n

Thanks to FatherTime for the sig
.:
Current ProjectsSubmissions
Power of CorruptionMy Terrain
The Black RoadMy Resources
Strikeforce
Twitter
Av3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:52 AM   #11
Kyrbi0
~There we go~

Submissions (1)

Me. :P

~~~

Although I have no delusions of Dusk using it:
Current Entrants - 090304:
UserRace
Kyrbi0Goblin
ShadowWolfCritter
Rising_DuskElemental
Cherry-SoapUrsa
RenegadeMushroomMurloc
BlackrootSpider
Av3nChaos Orc

Last edited by Kyrbi0 : 03-05-2009 at 03:54 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:07 AM   #12
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

What's an Ursa? You mean furbolgs? They're pretty neat, they actualy have a lot of models for a neutral race, since there's four in Ashenvale and three in Northrend (if you count the "pandaren" as well), they're generally just reskins but that still beats using the same model with different tinting colour multiple times.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:24 AM   #13
darkwulfv
Alpha Male of Wc3c

Official Map Reviewer

Submissions (6)

darkwulfv is just really nice (270)darkwulfv is just really nice (270)

Send a message via AIM to darkwulfv

If I had the drive to do this, I would be more than glad to, but I fear time would get the best of me. However, perhaps I will try... If I do, I will be doing "Mamallian" (Mammal-units; wolves, furbolgs, gnolls, etc.) or Canids (Primarily Wolves and Gnolls)

Quick question; does balance have to play a role? Obviously you can't have a unit that deals 10000 dps, but if there's some imbalances, is that okay?
a dota like map but with unique stuff
(There was no map attached, and that was all the thread said.)
Spells I've Made

Darkwulfv's Lightning Grapple || Tritanis' Lazy Bolt

Last edited by darkwulfv : 03-05-2009 at 04:26 AM.
darkwulfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:31 AM   #14
Cherry-Soap
User

Cherry-Soap has little to show at this moment (8)

I've made some progress and I just want to display some sort of completion so I don't procrastinate an entire month into the ground with sports, school, and lulz.

Ursa Race:
Unit NameType
Ursa ThornbackBasic Melee
Ursa WarriorAdvanced Melee
Grove Guardian/Forest SentinelSupport
Enslaved WildkinHeavy Melee
Tribal BearCaster
EnragedMelee
Furbolg ChampionSupport

I think the names are a bit meh so some suggestions would be great.
Cherry-Soap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:17 AM   #15
Blackroot
User

Blackroot will become famous soon enough (40)Blackroot will become famous soon enough (40)

Spell Making Session 14 Winner

I just started my first line of code; good luck to you all! =]
Blackroot is offline   Reply With Quote