wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Triggers & Scripts
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 02-22-2009, 11:38 PM   #1
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Default Spell Making Session #14

SPELL MAKING SESSION #14

The point of this, and all other spell making sessions, is to give all spell makers a challenge along with a specific theme. You will as a participant submit a single spell based around the given theme. Winner will be decided by public vote, using the schulze voting system.

Rules:
  • You can use JASS / GUI / WEU / vJass / Anything else that you want for your spell. (Specify in the test map and entry post)
  • The spell you enter must be new and made specifically for this contest.
  • Everybody is allowed and encouraged to enter, as long as they follow the rules.
  • Please post info and WIP screenshots of your spell while you are making it to get more activity in this thread.
  • Imported models are only allowed if they are used for very minor things. (A particle emitter or ribbon emitter could be acceptable)
  • Submitted maps may be no larger than 500kb.
  • One entry per person.
When your spell is finished, just attach the map to a post in the dedicated submission thread. Make sure to follow the submission instructions specified in that thread when posting. The reason submissions are in another topic is to keep it clean and easy to follow-up on, so make sure you post any non-submission posts in this thread and not that one.

Theme:

Summon Spells
The theme of this spell session are summon spells; this should need no further explaining, as long as the spell creates some sort of unit (wards included) it is a summon spell. Note that the emphasis should be on the summon spell itself, if the summoned unit has a bunch of unrelated triggered abilities while the spell that summons it is just a regular summon spell then that doesn't count.

Deadline:

The session has ended on Sunday, March 8th, 2009 at 23:59 UTC
The voting has ended, check the voting thread for details.

Reward:
The winner of the session gets 20 reputation points and the award icon
displayed on the right. (Appears under your name and in your profile)

Award icon:Click image for larger version

Name:	SpellSession14.gif
Views:	7449
Size:	1.1 KB
ID:	40704
Winner:

The winner is Blackroot with his Nature's Hand spell. Congratulations!

Last edited by Anitarf : 03-31-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Anitarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 02-22-2009, 11:45 PM   #2
Zerzax
Zerzy

Submissions (2)

Zerzax is a jewel in the rough (192)Zerzax is a jewel in the rough (192)Zerzax is a jewel in the rough (192)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverSpell Making Session 13 WinnerSpell Making Session 12 Winner

Send a message via AIM to Zerzax Send a message via MSN to Zerzax

Jesus that was fast :P. IT'S ON, DUSK!

EDIT: You wrote 13th spell session on the submission thread Ani.

1. Die - D2 Barbarian
2. Time to Die - D2 Barbarian
3. Too Much Baggage! - D1 Warrior
4. I Gotta Pawn Some of This Stuff! - D1 Warrior

Last edited by Zerzax : 02-22-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Zerzax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:32 AM   #3
ShadowWolf
Mr. Awesome!

Submissions (1)

ShadowWolf will become famous soon enough (39)ShadowWolf will become famous soon enough (39)

Approved Map: SheepGuard TD

Damn Anitarf, you're on top of things. You're making some of the other staff look bad. Jk 0=]

You sure know how to pick themes that are hard to be unique with... there's only so many ways you can summon things...

So is the contest about what is summoned, or how it's summoned? I'm guessing tis the latter, but the former is a bonus?

Last edited by ShadowWolf : 02-23-2009 at 12:34 AM.
ShadowWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:52 AM   #4
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWolf
So is the contest about what is summoned, or how it's summoned? I'm guessing tis the latter, but the former is a bonus?
Ideally, the two should overlap, but it's not mandatory; either could work although in the case of the former it is frowned upon if what is summoned could have easily been a regularly trained unit.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:05 AM   #5
ShadowWolf
Mr. Awesome!

Submissions (1)

ShadowWolf will become famous soon enough (39)ShadowWolf will become famous soon enough (39)

Yeah.. I was referring to something like a ward ability (functions like sentry ward) but the ward itself is where all the cool happens. I have a cool idea for a ward ability, but it would probably get voted down since at its root, the ability itself is just a summon x unit ability.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:33 AM   #6
FriendlyPsycho
User

Submissions (1)

FriendlyPsycho is on a distinguished road (12)

Sweet theme! I got an idea going, I think I'm gonna enter ;)
FriendlyPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:55 AM   #7
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Quote:
Yeah.. I was referring to something like a ward ability (functions like sentry ward) but the ward itself is where all the cool happens. I have a cool idea for a ward ability, but it would probably get voted down since at its root, the ability itself is just a summon x unit ability.
Well, if the concept is based on it being a ward, then that's cool. I don't want to see fancy abilities on generic summoned units, but if the ability on the summoned unit somehow plays into the fact that it's a summoned unit, that it has a caster, that it may have an expiration timer or in your case that it's a ward which can't move, but must be placed by the summon spell, then that's alright even if the spell that places it is just a "regular" summon spell. What matters is the overall concept, not the technical details.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:07 AM   #8
ShadowWolf
Mr. Awesome!

Submissions (1)

Technically it's not what you want to see, it's what everyone wants to see :P
Old 02-23-2009, 02:16 AM   #9
Av3n
Roar!

Project Leader: TBR
Project Member: PoC

Submissions (7)

Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)

Hero #4 extra-official winner2008 Spell olympics - Fire - BronzeHero Contest #3 - 3rd Place

Interesting... Might find time for this one...

-Av3n

Thanks to FatherTime for the sig
.:
Current ProjectsSubmissions
Power of CorruptionMy Terrain
The Black RoadMy Resources
Strikeforce
Twitter
Av3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:29 AM   #10
FriendlyPsycho
User

Submissions (1)

FriendlyPsycho is on a distinguished road (12)

I'd like to clear this up.. The qualifications of an entry is that it should summon a unit but what matters is the concept of the whole summon-unit-spell plus the summoned unit, and not how the summoned unit does awesome stuff like a summoned ninja who can jump, omnislash and the likes?

Can the summoned unit have a few abilities triggered/untriggered? My spell summons a unit based on the type of target point/unit, and some target types would summon a unit with a unique ability.

Last edited by FriendlyPsycho : 02-23-2009 at 02:30 AM.
FriendlyPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:43 AM   #11
xombie
Banned

xombie has a spectacular aura about (79)xombie has a spectacular aura about (79)xombie has a spectacular aura about (79)

Anitarf, thank you so much. I have a chance to redeem myself and slap my face to finish a spell contest. The only problem this time is I need to download a copy of Windows XP to put on my macbook because my desktop broked.

Summons eh.
xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyPsycho
I'd like to clear this up.. The qualifications of an entry is that it should summon a unit but what matters is the concept of the whole summon-unit-spell plus the summoned unit, and not how the summoned unit does awesome stuff like a summoned ninja who can jump, omnislash and the likes?
Correct.

Quote:
Can the summoned unit have a few abilities triggered/untriggered?
Sure.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:12 PM   #13
emjlr3
Rehabbing

Submissions (14)

emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)

Mapping Contest First Place

Send a message via AIM to emjlr3 Send a message via MSN to emjlr3

I really fail to understand what we are being graded on - or really from what angle to attack this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitarf
Quote:

Ideally, the two should overlap, but it's not mandatory; either could work, although in the case of the former, it is frowned upon if what is summoned could have easily been a regularly trained unit.

so you want me to summon something not regularly summonable in melee (whoopie), using any base summon ability and changing the unit value satisfies this.

lets make it custom (add some pretty sfx pre-summon) (lame.....)

ok.....uniqueness is required - add some abilities to my summoned unit - wait, that is frowned upon.....

I don't get it....

can someone please clarify..

( I really can't think of a good way to describe what I mean, but I think Dusk may understand where I am coming from, though thats just on a whim...)

Last edited by emjlr3 : 02-23-2009 at 02:14 PM.
emjlr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #14
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

I'm not sure what you'll be graded on either, since it's a public poll. The criteria for qualifying are very broad, so be creative; it's no rocket science to make a spell that qualifies, so stop worrying about it.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:02 PM   #15
emjlr3
Rehabbing

Submissions (14)

emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)

Mapping Contest First Place

Send a message via AIM to emjlr3 Send a message via MSN to emjlr3

ok, so a summon that hasnt been summoned before, in a way not previous thought possible, with a result no one expects - gotcha