wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Resources > Code Resources > Scripts
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 02-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk
Default GroupUtils

GroupUtils Library

Background:
This is a simple library that includes a group stack for dynamic groups, a global group that can be used for enumerations, and a pair of TRUE/FALSE boolexprs for preventing the null boolexpr leak in enumerations backwards compatibility with old maps that use them. Since the 1.24c patch, the null boolexpr leak in enumerations no longer exists. It also implements Griffen's method of GroupRefresh, which makes this a nice, all-encompassing utility set standard for group handling. Lastly, this library has means to group units in an area of effect while considering collision, something the GroupEnumUnitsInRange native does not do.

Requirements:
  • None
Requirements (Optional):Credits:Code:
Expand Library:

Function List:
This library provides the following functions to the user.
  • function NewGroup takes nothing returns group
  • function ReleaseGroup takes group g returns boolean
  • function GroupRefresh takes group g returns nothing
  • function GroupEnumUnitsInArea takes group whichGroup, real x, real y, real radius, boolexpr filter returns nothing
  • function GroupUnitsInArea takes group whichGroup, real x, real y, real radius returns nothing
This library also provides the following global variables to the user.
  • group ENUM_GROUP
  • boolexpr BOOLEXPR_TRUE
  • boolexpr BOOLEXPR_FALSE
The reason why GroupRefresh exists is best explained by Griffen here. It is quoted below for the readers' convenience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Griffen
Units that are removed from the game or decay while part of a group remain in the hash table. They also appear to remain in the list (which can cause issues with FirstOfGroup loops).

Therefore, if units are not removed manually from the group before this happens, there is a minor leak, and the CPU cost of many group operations increases dramatically. Verification is in this thread here.

NB: This only applies to where a group has units in it for longer than an instant, and where those units may decay / be removed. Most uses of groups are not vulnerable to that (most uses you should be using a static group and a boolexpr these days - those are completely unaffected).

Fortunately, GroupClear solves the problem, enabling the creation of a function that can be called on a group and flushes out all of the shadow units in it. The cost is pretty much O(n), where n is the number of real units in the group (rather than shadows).

GroupRefresh does not affect the group in a noticeable way, aside from removing the shadow references in the hash table, which speeds up most operations (see the link above for further details). The only effect it will have on outputs is on FirstOfGroup, which can return null when it comes to a shadow reference in the list, even if there are real units after it. GroupRefresh clears those out, so makes FirstOfGroup act properly again.

More frequent calls of GroupRefresh will reduce CPU costs of most operations involving groups whose usage makes them vulnerable to this, but will incur a higher CPU cost of its own. Look at the benchmarks on the link above and decide for yourself what the best balance is.
Backwards Compatibility:
In the event that you used one of the libraries this has deprecated, the following backwards compatibility libraries have been provided for your convenience. Simply replace the old library with the respective library below and it will work fine.
Expand GroupRefresh:
Expand CSSafety:
Expand BoolexprUtils:

Thanks guys, hopefully this helps streamline group handling!

Last edited by Rising_Dusk : 12-07-2009 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Updated
Rising_Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 02-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
Seshiro
User

Submissions (1)

Seshiro is on a distinguished road (20)

Hey Rising Dusk,

That thing here is just the CS thing, if you'd looked into the TimerUtils thread, you had seen that there is the group stack :D
Therefore i think that this is nearly useless ;)

Greez
Seshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

But the CS thing blows.

Dusk, could you add a group cleaner like Griffen's it would make sense to make it GroupUtils a sort of standard if it had that. I think this also needs a double free protection, at least during debug mode.

Using SCOPE_PREFIX like that is a little exaggerated.
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Vexorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seshiro
That thing here is just the CS thing, if you'd looked into the TimerUtils thread, you had seen that there is the group stack :D
Therefore i think that this is nearly useless ;)
I'd never even noticed that before. After reading the TimerUtils thread, it appears that it was only for backwards compatibility and not actual usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexorian
Dusk, could you add a group cleaner like Griffen's it would make sense to make it GroupUtils a sort of standard if it had that. I think this also needs a double free protection, at least during debug mode.
Certainly. Hrm, Table is probably the most logical means for double free protection as far as I can see. Do you agree or..?
Quote:
Using SCOPE_PREFIX like that is a little exaggerated.
Yeah, but I think it's a healthy habit to be in. :)
I can remove it if you'd prefer.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1060)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

There should be a better way than table.
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Vexorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #6
Captain Griffen
Dread Lord of the Cookies

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)

Approved Map: Warlords[Quicksilver #2] - 1st Place

Quote:

Or just add GroupRefresh, a compatability library for backward compatabilty, and then be done with it (oh, and link to my thread for the background on why you need it, then GY that).

A standard would be nice.
Quote:
[13:32] <Akolyt0r> hmm.. stil i want to have some unused women
Captain Griffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #7
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Quote:
There should be a better way than table.
Probably, I'll look into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Griffen
Or just add GroupRefresh, a compatability library for backward compatabilty, and then be done with it (oh, and link to my thread for the background on why you need it, then GY that).

A standard would be nice.
I think the syntax for GroupRefresh is clean enough that a backwards compatibility library likely won't be necessary. I'll see what I can do, a standard for this thing would be big.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:51 PM   #8
emjlr3
Rehabbing

Submissions (14)

emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)

Mapping Contest First Place

Send a message via AIM to emjlr3 Send a message via MSN to emjlr3

wasnt one of these included with cs_safety? (along with the timersafety bit)
Old 02-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #9
Joker
User

Joker will become famous soon enough (32)Joker will become famous soon enough (32)

So...are we supposed to call
Collapse JASS:
ForGroup()
stuff with ENUM_GROUP? I'm confuzed.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

You could, if you don't need to hold the group for longer than an instant. NewGroup and ReleaseGroup only make sense when you need a group for longer than a given instant. ENUM_GROUP and any group obtained with NewGroup() will work in ForGroup() calls, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjlr3
wasnt one of these included with cs_safety? (along with the timersafety bit)
Probably, but the CS is obsolete. Now we have xe, but some stanardized GroupUtils is still missing from the database. I'll work on this when I get home tonight.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
Captain Griffen

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
I think the syntax for GroupRefresh is clean enough that a backwards compatibility library likely won't be necessary. I'll see what I can do, a standard for this thing would be big.

Collapse JASS:
library GroupRefresh requires GroupUtils
endlibrary

And you could also have:
Collapse JASS:
library CSSafety requires GroupUtils, TimerUtils
endlibrary
Quote:
Old 02-05-2009, 10:59 PM   #12
Av3n
Roar!

Project Leader: TBR
Project Member: PoC

Submissions (7)

Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)

Hero #4 extra-official winner2008 Spell olympics - Fire - BronzeHero Contest #3 - 3rd Place

If this is GroupUtilities, I'm not saying that it is necessary, it would be nice to have a Enum function that checks units in range by collision.

Just my opinion.

-Av3n

Thanks to FatherTime for the sig
.:
Current ProjectsSubmissions
Power of CorruptionMy Terrain
The Black RoadMy Resources
Strikeforce
Twitter
Av3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #13
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Such a function could be created and then require GroupUtils.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:12 AM   #14
fX_
User

Submissions (2)

fX_ will become famous soon enough (38)fX_ will become famous soon enough (38)

Well if groups are such hazard handles as timers and this is TimerUtils for groups and TimerUtils is like, essential, then this should be essential, too.
fX_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #15
Captain Griffen

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Except in 90% of cases of groups, you don't want to do this. In the other 9% of cases, you can use structs to recycle timers more efficiently.
Quote: