wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Triggers & Scripts
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 01-20-2009, 01:45 AM   #1
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Default Spell Making Session #13

SPELL MAKING SESSION #13

The point of this, and all other spell making sessions, is to give all spell makers a challenge along with a specific theme. You will as a participant submit a single spell based around the given theme. Winner will be decided by public vote, using our spiffy new voting system.

Rules:
  • You can use JASS / GUI / WEU / vJass / Anything else that you want for your spell. (Specify in the test map and entry post)
  • The spell you enter must be new and made specifically for this contest.
  • Everybody is allowed and encouraged to enter, as long as they follow the rules.
  • Please post info and WIP screenshots of your spell while you are making it to get more activity in this thread.
  • Imported models are only allowed if they are used for very minor things. (A particle emitter or ribbon emitter could be acceptable)
  • Submitted maps may be no larger than 500kb.
  • One entry per person.
When your spell is finished, just attach the map to a post in the dedicated submission thread. Make sure to follow the submission instructions specified in that thread when posting. The reason submissions are in another topic is to keep it clean and easy to follow-up on, so make sure you post any non-submission posts in this thread and not that one.

Theme:

Luck Spells
Since this spell session has such a lucky number, it's theme is to create a luck spell; a spell that relies on random chance for all or part of it's effect. Note that if you want to win, your spell should probably be more interesting than just another critical strike or evasion ability.

Deadline:

The session has ended on Sunday, February 1st, 2009 at 23:59 UTC
The voting has ended, check the voting thread for details.

Reward:
The winner of the session gets 20 reputation points and the award icon
displayed on the right. (Appears under your name and in your profile)

Award icon:Click image for larger version

Name:	SpellSession13.gif
Views:	78
Size:	222 Bytes
ID:	40696
Winner:

The winner is Zerzax with his Arcane Roulette spell. Congratulations!
Anitarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 01-20-2009, 01:59 AM   #2
Ammorth
I blink, therefore I am.

Submissions (10)

Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (457)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (457)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (457)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (457)

I think this is going to be one of the hardest spells to design, as balance and effectiveness are major issues with spells that are based on randomness. I'll see if I can come up with a suitable idea.

edit: Although not specified, I'm assuming we can use scripts/systems that exist in the database.

Last edited by Ammorth : 01-20-2009 at 02:12 AM.
Ammorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:00 AM   #3
Zerzax
Zerzy

Submissions (2)

Zerzax is a jewel in the rough (192)Zerzax is a jewel in the rough (192)Zerzax is a jewel in the rough (192)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverSpell Making Session 13 WinnerSpell Making Session 12 Winner

Send a message via AIM to Zerzax Send a message via MSN to Zerzax

I had a feeling this would be coming :D

1. Die - D2 Barbarian
2. Time to Die - D2 Barbarian
3. Too Much Baggage! - D1 Warrior
4. I Gotta Pawn Some of This Stuff! - D1 Warrior
Zerzax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:23 AM   #4
Ignitedstar

RP Section Moderator

Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)

Send a message via MSN to Ignitedstar Send a message via Yahoo to Ignitedstar

Hmm...

Do our passives or spells have to deal with actual luck, as in a percent of activation, or can it deal with the concept of luck? Such as needing to meet an unlikely condition?

Even if not, I do have some things in mind. And, I might actually be able to do them! (Still though, highly unlikely)
I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge,
and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."

1 Corinthians 13:1-2

Current Works:
None.

Last edited by Ignitedstar : 01-20-2009 at 02:24 AM.
Ignitedstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:26 AM   #5
Bobo_The_Kodo
oO

Bobo_The_Kodo has a spectacular aura about (109)Bobo_The_Kodo has a spectacular aura about (109)Bobo_The_Kodo has a spectacular aura about (109)Bobo_The_Kodo has a spectacular aura about (109)

rawr
Bobo_The_Kodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:28 AM   #6
Kyrbi0
~There we go~

Submissions (1)

Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (152)Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (152)

Send a message via MSN to Kyrbi0

Whoa, thought this was a joke. :P But man, you guys sure don't take a break. :P

Also, I want to thank you for making links to the submission thread, and then back again. I hate it when I can't switch between the two easily.

I guess we'll see if I can come up with anything cool for this. Good luck, all!
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=
Kyrbi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:36 AM   #7
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

I can make you a better reward icon, Ani, if you'd like. Clever theme, though, I may actually have to enter.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:40 AM   #8
Av3n
Roar!

Project Leader: TBR
Project Member: PoC

Submissions (7)

Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)

Hero #4 extra-official winner2008 Spell olympics - Fire - BronzeHero Contest #3 - 3rd Place

Interesting... Formulating ideas now

-Av3n

Thanks to FatherTime for the sig
.:
Current ProjectsSubmissions
Power of CorruptionMy Terrain
The Black RoadMy Resources
Strikeforce
Twitter
Av3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:55 AM   #9
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)Anitarf has a brilliant future (888)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitedstar
Do our passives or spells have to deal with actual luck, as in a percent of activation, or can it deal with the concept of luck? Such as needing to meet an unlikely condition?
There needs to be some sorts of random chance involved. An unlikely condition, such as for example the hero's current hit points being divisible with the number of enemy units in range or something like that is improbable, but not random.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
I can make you a better reward icon, Ani, if you'd like.
Yeah, it could use a transparent or a glowy background, just black doesn't suit it well.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:39 AM   #10
Ammorth
I blink, therefore I am.

Submissions (10)

Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (457)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (457)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (457)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (457)

I have an idea for a spell, but the data-structure behind it is kinda of looming, not to mention balancing the spell. Without further adieu:

Strange Hex - The hero casts an unstable hex on enemy units in an area, changing their cellular structure to that of a weaker unit for 5/10/15 seconds. Since the hex is not completely safe, enemy units may become stronger than intended.

Level 1 - 35% chance to accidentally strengthen enemies, Lasts 5 seconds.
Level 2 - 15% chance to accidentally strengthen enemies, Lasts 10 seconds.
Level 3 - 5% chance to accidentally strengthen enemies, Lasts 15 seconds.

Each level would cause a unit to turn into a weaker unit that previous. The units are intended to be selected from any possible unit that can exist on the map (creeps included). The issue is the database to store the units would become large, and how does one deal with heros. I was also toying with just causing units to change to a unit of the same race, but I think its much better if a frostwyrm has a chance to be changed into a rabbit and vice-versa.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:09 AM   #11
Flame_Phoenix
retired coder | real ilfe

Submissions (10)

Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)

Send a message via MSN to Flame_Phoenix

The win icon really sucks, what is it ? a box !?
Anyway, I have an idea for this, however I don't know if I will join because I will need Damage Detection System, and for a spell with a DD to get approved here I can only use 2 DD systems: ADamage or IDDS and both don't suit my needs...

Anyway, Custom Critical strike wouldn't be a bad idea at all xD

PS: Now that I see better the icon, it looks like a dice ... it is still pretty bad IMHO ...
3-Making a spell in vJass - Practice Session 1
Check out all my current spells at here
Finally, check my project:
Castle vs Castle Flame Edition

Last edited by Flame_Phoenix : 01-20-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Flame_Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:10 AM   #12
Archmage Owenalacaster
Laughs Derisively

Project Member: PoC

Submissions (1)

Archmage Owenalacaster is a jewel in the rough (180)Archmage Owenalacaster is a jewel in the rough (180)Archmage Owenalacaster is a jewel in the rough (180)

Race-Building Contest #1 Winner

I think I may enter this.

Spell idea: Vex

Afflicts an enemy with a random assortment of negative effects.
Effects include damage penalty, armor penalty, attack speed penalty, move speed penalty, health penalty, mana penalty, sleep, disabled abilities, and ethereal. May include additional vex effects like heroes drop items and random nearby teleportation.

Level 1: 50 mana, 3 effects, 20 second duration
Level 2: 70 mana, 4 effects, 30 second duration
Level 3: 90 mana, 5 effects, 40 second duration
Archmage Owenalacaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #13
akolyt0r
In Flames

Submissions (3)

akolyt0r has a spectacular aura about (120)

maybe i will enter aswell ...

i will try to get a complete random idea about a complete random ability which does complete random things ... (.sounds like warcraftIII-Engine :>)

Last edited by akolyt0r : 01-20-2009 at 11:18 AM.
akolyt0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #14
Flame_Phoenix
retired coder | real ilfe

Submissions (10)

Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)

Send a message via MSN to Flame_Phoenix

One question, can we use systems in the database such as DD or Graphical system?
3-Making a spell in vJass - Practice Session 1
Check out all my current spells at here
Finally, check my project:
Castle vs Castle Flame Edition
Flame_Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:32 PM   #15
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Generally it's allowed if it was submitted and approved by the time of the contest's beginning. Wait for Ani with the final say on that, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitarf
Yeah, it could use a transparent or a glowy background, just black doesn't suit it well.
Well, okay. I generally pick wc3 icons for the things since they convert nicely to the 20x20 with decent resolution, but I'll fix your current one up for you.
Reward Icon:
Click image for larger version

Name:	SpellSession13.gif
Views:	269
Size:	222 Bytes
ID:	39881
I also perked up the dips in the dice so that you could actually see the numbers on its faces.