wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Triggers & Scripts
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: The bestest spellmaker is...
Kyrbi0 [Look Out, Sir!] 3 18.75%
Noobsaure [For Lordaeron!] 0 0%
Zerzax [Infernal Rage] 8 50.00%
WNxCryptic [Siphon Soul] 0 0%
Av3n [Fierce Aura] 2 12.50%
dorreen [Bond] 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 01:17 AM   #1
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Default Spell Making Session 12 Voting

You know the drill, we have a bunch of cool spells that have been submitted for our 12th spell making session and now we need your help in deciding which one is the coolest. So, if you feel like helping out (and having some fun along the way) feel free to test the six spell submissions and use the handy poll to cast your vote. While the poll decides the winner, you are also welcome and encouraged to discuss your choice in more detail in this thread. The poll closes on 15th of November.

Remember, the theme of this session was Linked Spells.

Speaking of links, here's a few:
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 10-30-2008, 03:09 AM   #2
Szythe
User

Submissions (3)

Szythe has a spectacular aura about (143)

Spell Making Session 11 WinnerSmiley contest 4th and 5th place.Mapping Contest Third PlaceSpell making session 08

Nice job to everybody who participated in this!

I played through all of the maps, and although I didn't have time to make a table analyzing them all, I made my pick. I'll probably add that table tomorrow.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:49 AM   #3
Malf
I LIKE PIZZA! | >

Submissions (2)

Malf has a spectacular aura about (92)Malf has a spectacular aura about (92)Malf has a spectacular aura about (92)Malf has a spectacular aura about (92)

Send a message via AIM to Malf

Alright, played through every map except one. I believe it was siphon soul. It didn't run for me at all :(

Table:
Look out, Sir! This gets my vote! This spell has a clever idea behind it and it works properly.
Infernal Rage It was good, I like the idea of a channeling buff.
For Lordaeron! It's ok, but it's too... Simple, it's like a modified Battle Roar to be honest.
Fierce Aura This would have been interesting, but it bugs out. It knocks back the target, and it looks ridiculous. I've attached the replay(download).
Bond Not too interesting. It could have been made better, if one unit was straying too far, the other units cannot move at all, even if they try to move closer to the farthest unit. I've also attached a replay(download), there was a bug where it didn't link units anymore.
Siphon Soul Testmap didn't work, I couldn't start the game.

Attached Files
File Type: w3g Bond Bug.w3g (7.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: w3g fierce aura.w3g (35.5 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Malf : 10-30-2008 at 03:51 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:53 AM   #4
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Man, this thread sucks. You should've used my template from the previous sessions. :p

I'll test them when I have access to my computer for more than ten minutes.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:38 AM   #5
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)

Send a message via MSN to Kyrbi0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malf
This gets my vote! This spell has a clever idea behind it and it works properly.
Awexome! You made my day. :P

~~~

Since I can't download the spells here, I won't deign to vote on name/sound alone. But since the deadline is so far (Nov. 14?!), I've got time.
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=
Old 10-30-2008, 05:10 AM   #6
Av3n
Roar!

Project Leader: TBR
Project Member: PoC

Submissions (7)

Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)

Hero #4 extra-official winner2008 Spell olympics - Fire - BronzeHero Contest #3 - 3rd Place

Shows you how rushed my spell is... SHIT I FORGOT TO CHANGE THE TARGET PERFERENCES from enemy to ally... zzz my bad, its too late now as well

-Av3n

EDIT: This is an unofficial version. Nothing else is tweaked except for targeting perferences: http://wc3campaigns.net/attachment.p...2&d=1225340113

Thanks to FatherTime for the sig
.:
Current ProjectsSubmissions
Power of CorruptionMy Terrain
The Black RoadMy Resources
Strikeforce
Twitter

Last edited by Av3n : 10-30-2008 at 05:16 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:02 AM   #7
chobibo
100% Genuine Retard!

chobibo has a spectacular aura about (101)chobibo has a spectacular aura about (101)chobibo has a spectacular aura about (101)chobibo has a spectacular aura about (101)

Send a message via Yahoo to chobibo

Look Out, Sir! is cool, the evasion depends on the number of allies of the aura bearer, I just don't like the evasion because I often see 'evasion' being used by other spells, what I mean is evasion is being used too much.

Infernal Rage would be better if it affected a group of units instead of one, but it's still cool.

For Lordaeron! is a typical AoE buff.

Firece Aura just knockbacks the target and damages it, after the target unit dies the casting hero continues to channel.

Siphon Soul does not work, I hope Anitarf would allow you to repost a working map.

I vote for bond, I think it would be a very good spell for a melee game, also its not the typical damage/buff/debuff spell that is presented in warcraft, It would be a good spell to stop quick units from escaping pursuit.

Good luck to everyone and Thanks for making spells!
Old 10-30-2008, 07:10 AM   #8
dorreen
User

dorreen has little to show at this moment (8)

About the Bond bug.
Bond links 3-5 targets currently, so I believe that you targetted it only to 2units and so it did nothing. Also if one of linked units dies, it breaks the bond.

I think I gotta do some changes to that spell after this contest is over. I didnt really have too much time to work with it.

Look Out, Sir! is great btw, gotta test those other spells too.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:02 PM   #9
Malf
I LIKE PIZZA! | >

Submissions (2)

Malf has a spectacular aura about (92)Malf has a spectacular aura about (92)Malf has a spectacular aura about (92)Malf has a spectacular aura about (92)

Send a message via AIM to Malf

I could use Bond on two units actually, if you take a look at the replay I posted.

In the replay, I was targeting 3 or 4 units, I even clustered them, too bad you can't see the cursor. But nothing happened.

Last edited by Malf : 10-30-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:15 PM   #10
WNxCryptic
User

WNxCryptic is on a distinguished road (24)

Grrrrr I have no idea why my tesmap won't load..lol, tbh I've never seen anything like it. I'll try to post up another reply on here with my map if Anitarf will let me (well...I'll do it anyways, even if it doesn't count for the voting) once I get on my laptop (with my map).
Old 10-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #11
dorreen
User

dorreen has little to show at this moment (8)

I watched the replay and I see it working fine, unless when you try to target it to 2 units. Yes, I know I cant see the targeting circle, but I think I remember how large it roughly is.
Can you tell me what time it was when you saw that bug, like how many minutes and seconds after starting a replay?

It might also have too big targetting circle or you might have canceled that spell, since it has 1 sec casting time.

Last edited by dorreen : 10-30-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:48 PM   #12
Zerzax
Zerzy

Submissions (2)

Zerzax is a jewel in the rough (192)Zerzax is a jewel in the rough (192)Zerzax is a jewel in the rough (192)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverSpell Making Session 13 WinnerSpell Making Session 12 Winner

Send a message via AIM to Zerzax Send a message via MSN to Zerzax

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobibo
Infernal Rage would be better if it affected a group of units instead of one, but it's still cool.

I can understand that, I even considered at the very end doing it because it would look so cool, but it would kind of ruin the point if you mind controlled every enemy and they just stood there (plus it would be cheap). So I instead focused on the strategy and consequences of making the link to control or just buff 1 unit.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:39 PM   #13
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Hidden information:

My Thoughts:
NameIdeaTooltipExecutionOverall
~For Lordaeron!~a: Ok, cool. But doesn't "link"Rather large...Seems to work fine.Sorry, I don't see how this "links" at all. And it has a boat-load of effects.
~Look Out, Sir!~Own.Creamy.Wincream.My own, what can I say? :P
~Bond~So... What does it do? The only effect seems to Spirit Link (which already exists).Some loose grammar. Also, this has only negatives; removes the Bond if they separate or die? Why do you want the Bond?Seems to work, I guess (dunno what it's doing)Sorry, this doesn't stand out to me. I have no idea what the spell is supposed to do.
~Infernal Rage~Coolio. :PI'm sorry, but the Research tooltip was ATROCIOUS. The Cast tooltip was better, but didn't have all the info (so if the player forgot, they'd wonder why they kept getting Crippled)All seems in order. The spell works (most importantly). However, the modified Bloodlust you seemed to use for the "raging" can be Purged, leaving the unit not-so-Rage-tastic.
Oh, also, the tooltip said that when you target allied units, they wouldn't be under your control. But they were. (?)
Meh, best so far (going in order :P).
~Transfer Soul~n/aCool name :Pn/aI could not open this in vanilla Wc3 TFT. Patch 1.22jklafdsai... Soooo... No grade. :/
~Fierce Aura~Actually, pretty cool. I liked this.Meh... Not so much. See, it says "target unit", and I thought it would make enemy units that attacked the "Fierce" unit Knockback + Damaged. But... It doesn't, it only targets enemies, and is a constant Knockback + AoE Knockback + DoT + Damage for Collision. Also, "Fierce Aura"?? It's not an aura.
A really good name/theme change for this would've been something like "Force Pull" or "Force Push". Like a Jedi. That would've been pretty awexome. :P
Executed rather well. However, Knockback isn't necessarily melee-compatible... But that's not the contest, is it? Well, it lags a whole lot, and you made the Dust sfx too much (obscured the screen and made lag worse). But the spell does exactly what it's supposed to.Pretty cool. With some theme/number/sfx/other changes, it would've been very polished.

Boy, that's messy. :P
So personally, it's between Fierce Aura and Infernal Rage.

My vote goes to Fierce Aura; it was a little more innovative than a boost, and with some polish + theme-changes, could be really interesting (Jedi: Force Push!!)

Mad props to Infernal Rage, though; had very nice sfx, was mostly intact (with it's effects), not bad at all.
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=

Last edited by Kyrbi0 : 10-30-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:44 PM   #14
Zerzax
Zerzy

Submissions (2)

Zerzax is a jewel in the rough (192)Zerzax is a jewel in the rough (192)Zerzax is a jewel in the rough (192)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverSpell Making Session 13 WinnerSpell Making Session 12 Winner

Send a message via AIM to Zerzax Send a message via MSN to Zerzax

Oi! I didn't even think about getting purged, next time I'll add a check on the timer, it would just end the channeling if he lost his ability. Yeah, to be honest I wanted to explain the spell well, but there were so many details that it got bogged down by the end, yet I wanted to make it story-like too. I could have probably halved it, but it would still be chunky. I guess I should have elaborated better on the ally issue: If they are your own units, nothing happens. But the spell will not mind control units owned by allies players, to prevent people from wrecking other players' actions, it could get abusive. Thanks for the review
Old 10-31-2008, 12:37 AM   #15
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Oooh.. So there's no difference between enemy or friendly units, but if you target an allied (friendly, but not yours) unit, then you can't control them. Ah.

With a name like Infernal Rage, I almost would've made the target Uncontrollable, just Raging around like crazy. Sure, it would get him killed faster, but then you just give him Resistant Skin or something... Meh, just thoughts.

Oh, and you get even more mad props for using the Firelord; that is one of the coolest heroes evar. :P
Closed Thread