wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > General Development
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 10-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #1
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

Default Ant Wars

Ant Wars is a map concept i've had laying around for quite some time, wich, like elemental wars, isnt verry likely to ever get made but a fun feat to think about.

---

Ant Wars is a multiplayer map largely based on footmen wars. It has the same setup and same premise as footies, but with a large emphasis on recource collection and management. It also has ants.

The spill of ant wars is your hive queen. This hive queen can create small buildings named "spawn sacks". There are diffrent kinds of spawn sacks, and these spawn sacks will periodically spawn units. The two main kinds of units that spawn sacks will be able to spawn are workers and soldiers. Workers collect recources and soldiers fight enemy soldiers.

Your queen needs Strongleaf to creatye spawn sacks. Strongleaf can be harvested by your worker units from plants and grass growing in the area.

Your workers can also collect the corpses of dead ants and bring them back to your queen. The more corpses you've fed your queen, the bigger she becomes and the more options, upgrades and abilities she unlocks.

---

In addition to this basic gameplay there would be three diffrent queens you could choose from, African Termites, European Soldier Ants and South-American Fire Ants. These queens would all have a couple of diffrent "tech trees" you can choose to upgrade by feeding her. And ofcourse, a wide selection of units and upgrades.

Theres also going to be larger insects and animals that make the mistake of wandering into the battlefield. These can be killed for a hefty food bonus. There will also be a picknick-basket in the centre of the battlefield providing a steady stream of sweets for those who can hold it.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:09 PM   #2
Anopob
Yay!

Anopob has a spectacular aura about (120)

Sounds cool, especially if the middle picnic bucket is guarded really well, but would this be a team game (like 3v3) or FFA (1v1v1)?
Better Ways of Requesting For Help - Race Contest #2 WIP Thread (Bone Race)
As of December 1st I have my blue rep. Yay :D
Anopob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:21 AM   #3
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Brought back from the depths, huh? The biggest problem about this map is that it's entirely driven by custom models, otherwise I think it's pretty cool.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:05 AM   #4
darkwulfv
Alpha Male of Wc3c

Official Map Reviewer

Submissions (6)

darkwulfv is just really nice (270)darkwulfv is just really nice (270)

Send a message via AIM to darkwulfv

I'm not sure if I would consider termites to be ants.

Otherwise, this is a great idea. Compared to most footies where all the thought goes into how well you can direct your spam and rape with your hero, this has you focus on resource management (I like the idea of collecting dead bodies as a resource). What about food?
a dota like map but with unique stuff
(There was no map attached, and that was all the thread said.)
Spells I've Made

Darkwulfv's Lightning Grapple || Tritanis' Lazy Bolt

darkwulfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:53 AM   #5
Limb_Smasher
User

Limb_Smasher has little to show at this moment (1)

This sounds really cool, so long as it has many aspects to it I'd definitely give it a go.
What about the ants with wings?
I mean I'm no expert, but I've seen the things with wings!
Limb_Smasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:25 AM   #6
Kino
User

Submissions (8)

Kino will become famous soon enough (68)Kino will become famous soon enough (68)Kino will become famous soon enough (68)

Quote:
Brought back from the depths, huh? The biggest problem about this map is that it's entirely driven by custom models, otherwise I think it's pretty cool.

Amazingly, dark tinted Crypt fiends with extremely reduced scaling can pass disturbingly well as Ants.
Also Ive seen people make such maps before but no one so far has made a decent Ant War map.

If you need opinions on insects and ants you can pm me.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:42 AM   #7
Tide-Arc Ephemera
Overdoses result in death

Submissions (3)

Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)

Go go WC3 Sim Ant mods! But yeah, this idea sounds purdy cool. You should give the ants abilities which are puns on their names; e.g fire ants have some sort of burning ability. Up to you, though.

It'd be super special awesome to see this as a reality, though.

If you're having troubles getting help on WC3C or anywhere at all, please have a look at...
The WRONG way to ask for help and The CORRECT way to ask for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alevice
You may never stop our bioweapon! We mexicans shall rule the third world! Mwahahahahahahaha!
Please acknowledge that I use Mac and avoid suggesting vJass and other tools that don't work on it. Thank you.
Tide-Arc Ephemera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:28 PM   #8
Terrorblade
User

Terrorblade has little to show at this moment (8)

Randomly appearing hazards, that would make things more interesting, you can't expect a human to NOT walk by and squish some ants, and rain, heavy rain is like flood for ants.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #9
Alevice
It feels good

Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)

if there are queens involved, i doubt this match is happening on the surface, so no human haphazards. maybe tunnels that collapse and stuff.

Alevice.jones is SC2 Beta, losers.

Check out my never updated deviantart gallery!!

Kalimdor Raiders (Race Contest #1) Pastebin Page
Cavern Crawlers (Race Contest #2) Pastebin Page
Airship Race Motherfuckers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://ajaxian.com/archives/would-you-like-a-_-with-that-new-library-gives-js-what-it-should-have#comment-276203
- Dont solve problems that dont exist.
- Improve the wheel, dont reinvent it.
- Port the wheel if it doesnt exist in your environment.
- Integrate the wheel into your project.
- Make sure you can replace your wooden wheel for a rubber one if someone else invents it.
Alevice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:38 PM   #10
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

The awesome-factor of being on the surface with grass bigger than your units far outweighs any concerns I have about erwt being "realistic" and keeping the queens underground. They could always live in elevated burrows or something, but really, the terrain would be more than half of the draw of this map.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:37 PM   #11
Alevice
It feels good

Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)

I still like the colony idea better, as long as the tunnels can collapse, and new tunnels were able to be made (thousands of destructibles shape the tunnels?), and that the sporadical invader (insects that prey on ants, infiltrated larvae eater caterpillars, giant anteaters tongues crushing everything on its path) hops in.

Alevice.jones is SC2 Beta, losers.

Check out my never updated deviantart gallery!!

Kalimdor Raiders (Race Contest #1) Pastebin Page
Cavern Crawlers (Race Contest #2) Pastebin Page
Airship Race Motherfuckers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://ajaxian.com/archives/would-you-like-a-_-with-that-new-library-gives-js-what-it-should-have#comment-276203
- Dont solve problems that dont exist.
- Improve the wheel, dont reinvent it.
- Port the wheel if it doesnt exist in your environment.
- Integrate the wheel into your project.
- Make sure you can replace your wooden wheel for a rubber one if someone else invents it.
Alevice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:35 PM   #12
Ammorth
I blink, therefore I am.

Submissions (10)

Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (457)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (457)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (457)Ammorth is a glorious beacon of light (457)

I would much prefer the out-door game vs the tunnel game.
Ammorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #13
Szythe
User

Submissions (3)

Szythe has a spectacular aura about (143)

Spell Making Session 11 WinnerSmiley contest 4th and 5th place.Mapping Contest Third PlaceSpell making session 08

Why not do above and below ground? There was some AoS I saw a long time ago that allowed you to switch back and forth between a surface map and an underwater map, You could just make a burrow ability and design 2 terrains which fit in with each other.
Szythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:59 PM   #14
Belphegor666
User

Submissions (1)

Belphegor666 is on a distinguished road (16)

Tunnels with destructibles blocking everything looks blah...

If anything just go with a realistic feel to it.

Personally I would spice things up and make Zerg/Mutation Wars. There you could start as a parasite and unlock special genes by devouring other creatures or steal genes from your opponents remains. Hell I'll probably make something like that if Sc2 comes out...
Belphegor666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:37 PM   #15
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (922)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anopob
Sounds cool, especially if the middle picnic bucket is guarded really well, but would this be a team game (like 3v3) or FFA (1v1v1)?
The guarding would be up to the players, there wont be any neutral forces guarding said basket.

The game is a 3v3v3v3 game, 4 teams of 3 players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
Yeah, i wouldnt do this without the custom models. Back when i was last tinkering with this idea i figured out how to do this stuff with minimal modelling effort though, and with tobs compression tools that shouldnt be a problem at all.
I'm basically bringing this back from the dead to see if i can finetune the idea, as i might be able to use it to fill some school assignments, and if i can use school to do these kinds of things i damn well will, its a lot more fun and fullfilling then doing fictional stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwulfv
I'm not sure if I would consider termites to be ants.
Its going to be a humorous cartoony game. They're close enough to "ants" to count as them, and they have interesting distinguishable traits.

Quote:
What about food?
There wont be any. I'd prefer this without a unit cap at all but wc3 can only handle so much. Starcraft 2 might be a better engine for this idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limb_Smasher
What about the ants with wings?
I mean I'm no expert, but I've seen the things with wings!
Tricky becouse of balance issues but its definetly something that i'd do in an expantion or "next version" or whatever, but i'd like to start basic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinorhynkar
Amazingly, dark tinted Crypt fiends with extremely reduced scaling can pass disturbingly well as Ants.
That simply wont do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tide-Arc Ephemera
You should give the ants abilities which are puns on their names; e.g fire ants have some sort of burning ability. Up to you, though.
Obviously. What'd ya thing about Antlions, eh? It'd have all kinds of funky stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrorblade
Randomly appearing hazards, that would make things more interesting, you can't expect a human to NOT walk by and squish some ants, and rain, heavy rain is like flood for ants.
It wont be humans, but large insects wreaking havoc. This is becouse those actually serve a perpouse too; a hefty food bonus.

Also, no tunnels becouse its eew.