wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > General Development
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 08-22-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)

Send a message via MSN to Kyrbi0
Default [Death Knight] skill set!

Hidden information:
Alright, I saw this done before by cohadar and others, so I'll give it a try. Heaven knows no one checks out my Custom Race topic, so this'd get ignored there. :/

Link to the ~Project Page~

I am attempting to work on a set of Neutral Tavern heroes, for unexplainable reasons (i.e. I love custom heroes :P). One of which will be the "Death Knight", a faithful representation of the Wc2 Orcish Death Knight (i.e. the frail-awexome death-caster guy). Regrettably, I am unable to use the name "Death Knight", because of the existing Wc3 Undead hero of the same name :/. Regardless!:

I need help finishing this hero up. That includes 1 of his 3-level abilities, a cool name, and perhaps some good icon suggestions. (I'd highly prefer to only work with GUI and Object Editor) Thus I turn it over to the forum for some good ol' brainstorming. :P

~~~

Click image for larger version

Name:	BTNTeron.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	37430
"Death Knight"
Neutral Ranged Intelligence hero
In the ruinous aftermath of the Second War between Humans and Orcs, Ner'zhul lost his tenuous grip on the minds of a few of his created Death Knight legions. The ensuing loss of command drove many of them to the brink of madness, yet some held grimly onto sanity and secreted away to parts unknown.
Now once again, the Dark Riders are seen galloping across Lordaeron, sowing death and confusion wherever they roam. With no purpose in mind but the wanton decay of all living things, they may even ally themselves with a passing army in order to speed up the process to which they are caretakers.

Name:	Death Knight.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	37427
Proper Names: Teron Gorefiend, Korth Felheart, Lugdan Soulblight, Ragnok, Gaz Soulripper, Masek Grimhold, Kallir Vomel, Xanthos, Umbral, Murk Golshaz...
(Super-awexome credits to Whitehorn for his Death Knight model resource! (edited by me for better particles))
(Credits also go to Callahan for his faithful reproduction of the Touch of Darkness projectile resource!)
(And here is the icon, due to popular request: BTNTeron.tga

Death Knight Spells:

Name:	BTNRequiem.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	366891. Decrepify - Blights a target area of ground with necromantic energies, causing debilitating pain to enemy units that walk through it. The corpses of the recently dead are also exhumed, providing the [Death Knight] with fuel for his spells.

Name:	BTNDarkSummoning.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	366942. Army of Darkness - Target an area to forcefully rip the dead from their graves and bend them to your will. Creates 3/4/5(?) sets of a random number of Marrow Guards (skeleton warriors) and Bone Fletchers (skeleton archers).

Name:	BTNRegenerationAura.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	366883. Aura of Decay - Passively decreases the health regeneration of nearby enemies. Conversely, any nearby skeletons summoned with Army of Darkness have boosted regeneration and armor.

Name:	BTNGatherShadows.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	36687U: Whirlwind - Focuses the wind of the underworld into a powerful twister, ripping apart enemies who wander too close. These winds slow nearby enemies, and (the howl of these winds allow no commands to be issued to those trapped within the Whirlwind, rendering those unfortunates helpless until the magiks fades). Nearby corpses are reanimated due to its unearthly power, which grows with each nearby corpse. (from WoWwiki)

~~~

Wc2 Skillset (For those curious):
  • Touch of Darkness (attack)
  • Death Coil
  • Haste
  • Unholy Armor
  • Decay
  • Whirlwind
  • Raise Dead

Current Ability Ideas:
(NOTE: I don't really have a type of ability to ask for, since I detect no cohesive theme with this guy other than 'death' :P)
  • Decrepify - Blights a target area of ground with death and ruin, causing pain to the living who walk upon it. (actually puts Blight and a ward w/ a Damage Aura; much like a reverse Healing Ward. Slows, too?)
  • ??? - Creates a violent flux in the surrounding area, flooding it with volatile necromantic magicks. Nearby random enemy units are engulfed in explosions.

Wishlist:
  • I have the "Exorcism" sound buff (like a 'death bell'-type sound) from Wc2; definitely want to have a place for it on this guy. :P
  • Some cool names: Reqiuem, Gather Shadows, Death Knell, Touch of Darkness... etc.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated!
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=

Last edited by Kyrbi0 : 01-23-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Added some Proper Names.
Kyrbi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 08-22-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
Askhati
User

Askhati will become famous soon enough (26)

Decrepify sounds brilliantly thematic for this guy. I have suggestion though - make the invisible ward, with Blight generation and anti-living damage aura, also spawn corpses like the Graveyard does. The only thing then needed is some ability (for the hero) which actually makes use of this supply of corpses...

The Touch of Darkness hand reminded me of the Pit Lord's Doom spell, but with a difference. The targeted unit becomes Silenced and takes damage over time, but at death, an invisible (no image) unit is spawned. This unit lasts only 0.01 seconds before it dies, and has the Kaboom! suicide ability, modified to trigger at death. So once the Doomed unit dies, a massive explosion originates from his corpse, and you can use a simple map trigger to play a suitable explosion effect at the location the unit dies (eg the death effect for Undead buildings). The spell could be called 'Soul of Darkness' (cast only on your own units, like Death Pact) or 'Corrupting Touch' (cast on enemies).

I think I'm going to use that myself...
Official promoter of Giak literacy
Askhati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashkati
Decrepify sounds brilliantly thematic for this guy....
<3 One of my few original ideas. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashkati
The Touch of Darkness hand reminded me of the Pit Lord's Doom spell, but with a difference. The targeted unit becomes Silenced and takes damage over time, but at death, an invisible (no image) unit is spawned. This unit lasts only 0.01 seconds before it dies, and has the Kaboom! suicide ability, modified to trigger at death. So once the Doomed unit dies, a massive explosion originates from his corpse, and you can use a simple map trigger to play a suitable explosion effect at the location the unit dies (eg the death effect for Undead buildings). The spell could be called 'Soul of Darkness' (cast only on your own units, like Death Pact) or 'Corrupting Touch' (cast on enemies).

A man (?) after my own heart. Using the Object Editor to the nth degree, all the way!

So basically, it's a Doom, but instead of a summon, it's an AoE on Death-type spell. I like it. However, I like your suggested change better; making "Decrepify" spawn corpses. Then the decision is whether to make Army of Darkness or Whirlwind use corpses...
- AoD: in the targeted area, it summons your skeleton warriors, but if their's any corpses, it also casts Raise Dead on them...
- Wwind: the soul-nado has a custom Raise Dead, so while it's zipping around destroying stuff, it also summons skeleton warriors...
- Wwind2: the soul-nado gains more power based on the number of nearby corpses... not sure I can do that, though.
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=

Last edited by Kyrbi0 : 08-22-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Death knights without some variant of death coil (Or extended use of the death coil FX) are not death knights at all.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
moyack
Evil Emoticon

Respected User
Project Leader: PoC

Submissions (17)

moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)

AI Tournament #2 - 2nd PlaceHero Contest - Second place

Send a message via MSN to moyack

I'd do a short (2-3 seconds) drain life spell that removes 75, 115, 170 in total life to the target unit, the effect would be a soul missile from the target to the caster, so it would look like the caster is stealing life in pieces...

Juszt my two cents...
moyack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
Askhati
User

To make the Whirlwind unit influenced by the number of nearby corpses, give it an aura ability (affecting only itself) with say 10 levels. Then, when you cast the spell, it simply counts the number of corpses in the area (trigger that picks all units in N radius and counts number with health less than/equal zero) and sets the level of the Whirlwind's aura equal to the number of corpses, to a max of 10. However, I wouldn't call it Whirlwind then - rather something like "Bone Storm" or "Corpse Maelstrom".
Old 08-22-2008, 05:57 PM   #7
Askhati
User

Oh, and give the Whirlwind unit auto-cast Raise Dead for extra mayhem.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:12 PM   #8
Shadow_killer
Granny speaks truth, obey

Submissions (4)

Shadow_killer will become famous soon enough (48)Shadow_killer will become famous soon enough (48)

When i read moyack's idea with the life drain i got a new idea for a spell.

When you skill it you get 2 spells. The first one is an ability that drains X amount of health from the target (The caster gains nothing) The other ability gains the drained life as an amount. That amount can be used to either heal a friend or damage an enemy.

Like this. You cast the first ability 3 times, it drains 200HP (Per cast). The other ability then gains either a 600HP damage or a 600HP heal. Its like a death coil/holy light that you stack.

Last edited by Shadow_killer : 08-22-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Shadow_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
Death knights without some variant of death coil (Or extended use of the death coil FX) are not death knights at all.

A-hah! Now it is the turn of me to be making the fun of you!
But really, no. This is made as an addition to, and not a replacement for, melee Wc3. Thus I cannot use Death Coil, nor anything too similar to it (i.e. a single-target direct damage spell that can heal undead).

However, I agree that, if possible, I should attempt to use the Death Coil sfx somewhere. I'm definitely using Animate Dead sfx, at least twice...

@Moyack: Thank you. That's all I'm asking for, really; two cents.
Hidden information:
Because if I collect merely two cents from every user, I will become a obscenely wealthy!! Mwahahaha!

@Shadowkiller: Ooh, I like that. Not so much as a Hero ability; I want to keep their command cards as clean as possible. But a special caster-ish unit, with a stackable-Heal/damage... Then make the heal/damage autocast, instead of direct cast, and perhaps the "accumulator" a passive as well, and then you have a simple unit that ..

OH! That's almost perfect for a Troll Blooddrinker unit I had planned! It passively drinks/channels/funnels the blood of it's enemies into it's mouth/soul/blades, and then can use the stolen blood to heal nearby friendlies! Nice.

@Ashkati: Of course; just like my Vampire Bats, which gain a bonus to damage based on the number of nearby Vamp's. Except do it on "unit is summoned", and for "summoned unit"; nice. I definitely like that (but only if the first ability is "Decrepify" and makes corpses.

And of course it gets Raise Dead! Since it's uncontrollable, that'd be rather lame if it just ran away...

~~~

So I'm liking the WoWwiki idea of "stopping all orders" while a unit is affected by the soul-nado. I'm not totally sure how to (GUI) do it, though. I mean is this:
Trigger:
Sample Trigger
Collapse Events
Unit - A unit Is issued an order targeting a point
Collapse Conditions
((Ordered unit) has buff Tornado Spin) Equal to True
Collapse Actions
Unit - Order (Ordered unit) to Stop
acceptable, if copied 3 times (1 for each type of order)? Or would it be easier to just make the affected unit Neutral Passive for the duration of it's affectation? (gogo wordzorz)

~~~

Ok, so semi-assuming the spell "Decrepify" makes it. Does anyone have a particular opinion on the icon? I.e. the green hand, the purple hand, or something else?
Old 08-22-2008, 08:42 PM   #10
Askhati
User

The icon should be some blasted ground, with a grave or ghoul arm bursting through the soil.

... Wait, that's Reanimate...
Go with green.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #11
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Alright, I updated the first post (love the synergy with the green icons). Now, assuming everything how it is, only a few things remain:

Last Coupla' Questions
  • He absolutely needs a rockin' name to fit that rockin' hero model. Thoughts?
  • Right now, Decrepify and Whirlwind both have a slowing + damaging effect. To me, that seems rather overkill and blase. Any thoughts as to how to differentiate?
  • Also right now, Whirlwind damages, slows, cancels orders, raises dead, and gains power w/ nearby corpses (only once upon casting). Now it is an ultimate, and since it could feasibly Wander away, perhaps this isn't so bad.
    **But I could add a trigger to have the Whirlwind 'follow' the [Death Knight] whenever he's issued an order.

Thanks again, everyone; I had no idea this would get as many replies as it did.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:37 AM   #12
Askhati
User

Hmm... How about giving the Decrepify ward a plague aura instead of damage and slow? It would fit in with the poisoned soil and rotten corpses.
Name: Lugdan Soulblight, the Renegade Nightmare
Old 08-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #13
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

*Plague Ward* - Perhaps, but doesn't "Plague Ward" only have a very small AoE? Not sure I can change it, either... But perhaps a modified "Phoenix Fire" that looks like plague instead of fire. That might work, as long as the Blight radius is the same as the Fire radius.

So should I assume the Whirlwind should stay the way it is?

*Name* - Thanks for the 'Ludgan Soulblight', but I should've clarified; this isn't an AoS. It's melee. So while I do need some good Proper Names, like "Teron Gorefiend (a throwback to Wc2, a must) and "Korth Felheart", those aren't usually hard to whip up. What's hardest is a good, fitting Hero Name; the one that appears next to their level. Like "Death Knight", "Lich", or "Dreadlord". Except none of those :P.

And "Renegade Nightmare" sounds too AoS-y; sorry.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:07 PM   #14
MCV
User

Submissions (1)

MCV is on a distinguished road (17)

"Necrolyte" "Horseman of the Plauge" "Reaper"
MCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:15 PM   #15
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

How about... "Blight Rider" or "Blighted Rider"?
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Pyrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote