wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Triggers & Scripts
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: Who do you think should win this session?
Themerion [Unleashed Wrath] 3 8.33%
Flame_Phoenix [Apocalypse] 9 25.00%
masda70 [Heaven Nine-Headed Fire Dragon 3 8.33%
Szythe [Flyswatter] 19 52.78%
Cold_Phoenix [Symphony of the Sun] 2 5.56%
Av3n [Lightning Fury] 0 0%
Kyrbi0 [Voodoo Maledict] 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk
Default Spell Session #11 - Public Poll

These are the entries for the 11th Spell Making Session in order of submission.
Good stuff again, I didn't get a chance to enter and neither did Pyro because we're lame and couldn't devote the time to it, this means you guys have a better chance of winning! (I actually like lower counts, makes the public votes more intense)

Spell Making Session #11:
EntrantSpell NameThread LinkScreenshot
ThemerionUnleashed WrathLinkClick image for larger version

Name:	wrath.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	36305
Flame_PhoenixApocalypselinkClick image for larger version

Name:	apocalypse.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	36299
masda70Heaven Nine-Headed Fire DragonLinkClick image for larger version

Name:	HNHFD.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	36301
SzytheFlyswatterLinkClick image for larger version

Name:	flyswatter.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	36300
Cold_PhoenixSymphony of the SunLinkClick image for larger version

Name:	symphony.png
Views:	21
Size:	650.2 KB
ID:	36303
Av3nLightning FuryLinkClick image for larger version

Name:	lightningfury.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	36302
ShadowWolfFalcon PunchLinkN/A
Kyrbi0Voodoo MaledictLinkClick image for larger version

Name:	voodoo.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	36304
(Spell Making Session #11 Discussion Topic)

I think I got everyone in, if I forgot someone please let me know via PM. 8 entries, not bad at all, a good prelate for what's to come in the spell olympics 2008 Vex just announced. Nice job to all who participated!
Note

If didn't post a screenshot (ShadowWolf), just post it in this topic and I'll update this post accordingly.

The winner is decided by public vote because trying to go through and read each person's reasons and figure out who voted for what in text is damned near impossible. Please list your top 3 with reasons why, then vote for your favorite in the poll. Ultimately the poll decides the winner, though, so at the very least go through all of the entries before submitting your votes! The poll closes whenever I decide it does.

All Entrant's Testmaps: Spell Making Session 11.rar

ShadowWolf's Disqualification

He never removed the illegal sound files from his testmap before final submission and therefore his submission broke a fundamental contest rule and had to be disqualified.

Best of luck to all the entrants!

Edit: Voting has ended and the winner is: Flyswatter
Old 08-08-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

And hey look, I'm actually going to vote this time!
Table:
#1FlyswatterI just love this spell; it's a cool idea (cool enough that ToB has a nearly identical spell planned :P) and it just looks awesome! The Phoenix Fire was an exceptional touch, too.

Up down splat!
#2Heaven' Nine-Headed Fire DragonCool. It's definitely cinematic with all the animation stuff and the faded-out dragon was darn neat, but the reason I didn't like it so much as Flyswatter was really because of the speed at which it was performed.

The first time I utterly missed the 9 swords symbolism thing. I think a speed of about 0.50 really is the optimal speed for this spell, because faster it just doesn't feel epic at all.
#3Falcon PunchWhat could be more epic? Seriously. I'd say it was a stroke of genius to turn this into a WCIII spell, but you did and it works. The problem is that the sliding is, well, a bit weird and the sound effect is 'illegal'.

But then again, what would the spell be without a big ol' "FALCONNNN PUUNCH!"?
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.

Last edited by Pyrogasm : 08-08-2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:07 PM   #3
Toadcop
BuranX

Submissions (4)

Toadcop is just really nice (299)Toadcop is just really nice (299)

Approved Map: TcXSpell Making Session 10 Winner

Send a message via ICQ to Toadcop

Falcon Punch epic the rest not.

Flyswatter decent.

Heaven' Nine-Headed Fire Dragon reminds me of Drum'n'Bass or Hardcore... fast, awesome. but senless... kind a visual spam.

Symphony of the Sun not bad but not epic.

the rest is very ~.

OFFTOP

here learn xD my old hero for some russian contest...

the ult IS epic =) but it has kind a wierd conditions xD
Attached Files
File Type: w3x TcTheAncient.w3x (255.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-11-2008, 09:48 PM   #4
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Don't forget this exists just because the spell olympics have been announced!
Old 08-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #5
Flame_Phoenix
retired coder | real ilfe

Submissions (10)

Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)

Send a message via MSN to Flame_Phoenix

Yes I want to enter the Olympics too, to represent my country xD. Although I will probably, like my country, get no medals, I still wanna join =) Wish me luck guys, I will need it =P
3-Making a spell in vJass - Practice Session 1
Check out all my current spells at here
Finally, check my project:
Castle vs Castle Flame Edition

Last edited by Flame_Phoenix : 08-12-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:17 PM   #6
Alexander244
Now Kharyb

Submissions (1)

Alexander244 is a jewel in the rough (193)Alexander244 is a jewel in the rough (193)Alexander244 is a jewel in the rough (193)

Table:
My Vote:Flyswatter
I'll copy Pyro's idea to use the olympic medals :)
Reasons:
#1FlyswatterI really loved the great use of the crypt lords animations, the simplicity of the idea and the quality of the execution.
(Basically everything :D)

This should really serve as an example to people that epicness and high quality spells are not about mindless sfx spam.
#2Heaven Nine-Headed Fire DragonThis was a very impressive spell, but there was too much going on in too small a time period, much of which was superfluous and took away from the spell.

It was still a great spell, but could do with slowing down and making certain aspects stand out more clearly.
#3-Flyswatter & Heaven Nine-Headed Fire Dragon really stood out against the rest for me, but of the remaining there isn't one that I can clearly put ahead of the others. I'll leave it as a tie.
____

Quote:
Please list your top 3 with reasons why
3/14... seriously?

I understand your reasons for wanting to base the winner on the poll Dusk, but really, this is a joke.
You could force people to start their post with "[table]My Vote:[c]<Spell Name>[/table]" or something to make tallying the semi-incoherent posts easier.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
Themerion
Brahms-fan

Submissions (2)

Themerion has a spectacular aura about (110)Themerion has a spectacular aura about (110)Themerion has a spectacular aura about (110)Themerion has a spectacular aura about (110)

Table:
#1Symphony of the SunThis spell screams epic finnisher, which is exactly what the theme of the contest is. It may not be the most advanced spell, but definitely the one I'd rather have when fighting the big bad monster!
#2Heaven's Nine-Headed Fire DragonThis is too a good finnisher.
#3FlyswatterOverall cool ability.
Creep Respawn System
It has never been easier to respawn creep groups...
Old 08-13-2008, 08:54 PM   #8
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)

1 - Apocalypse (my spell lol): It is a twist to the classic idea of finisher spells. It combines the end of a cycle to the begin of a new age and is very connected to the game story. It is also an excellent support spell.

2 - Heaven's Nine-Headed Fire Dragon: A classic finisher with an original twist.The code is however scary and it bugs when we place strange values, but is ok (like 2 lol).

3 - Unleashed Wrath or Flyswatter: two good spells overall. The first one is an abused finisher, it is in fact funny to use. The second is an excellent anti-undead spell good for a "good vs Evil" map. However in the first spell, if the unit dies the caster just doesn't stop, and keeps playing with the dead body and in the second the fall could be better. Also they kinda "cheat" by making the hero invulnerable. Imagine if I did that to my spell xD.

Last edited by Flame_Phoenix : 08-13-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:47 AM   #9
Themerion
Brahms-fan

Submissions (2)

Themerion has a spectacular aura about (110)Themerion has a spectacular aura about (110)Themerion has a spectacular aura about (110)Themerion has a spectacular aura about (110)

Hm... is it really allowed to vote on your own spell? :P

Quote:
...if the unit dies the caster just doesn't stop, and keeps playing with the dead body...

I am unable to make it "keep playing with the dead body". The code below screams that it should not be possible to do so.

Collapse From Unleashed Wrath loop:
if GetUnitTypeId(u2)==0 or GetWidgetLife(u2)<=.405 then
    set d.phase=PHASE_FINISH
endif
Creep Respawn System
It has never been easier to respawn creep groups...

Last edited by Themerion : 08-14-2008 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:04 AM   #10
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

I am quite sure that happens last time I tested the spell. I will can test it again if you want, and if that happens I can add a video.

Last edited by Flame_Phoenix : 08-14-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:16 AM   #11
ShadowWolf
Mr. Awesome!

Submissions (1)

ShadowWolf will become famous soon enough (39)ShadowWolf will become famous soon enough (39)

Approved Map: SheepGuard TD

There's my screenie. I'm just too goddamn lazy to open the map up and do it.
I figured I would've gotten DQ'd for the sound clip anyways. I'm not going to devolve it for silly regulations.

1) Falcon Punch - Why wouldn't I vote for myself?
2) Symphony of the Sun - Idk why, I just liked the effects on this one.
3) Flyswatter - Good use of animations instead of just special effects.

Remember that the contest was on cinematics and epicness, not nessecarily the schematics and function of the spell.

Last edited by ShadowWolf : 08-15-2008 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:34 AM   #12
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

Well, the vote time ended yesterday, let's see who the judge picks. Good luck guys !
Old 08-16-2008, 06:43 PM   #13
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

There are only like 20 votes, so I'm letting this thing run. The stupid spell olympics are overshadowing this, so everyone's forgetting to vote.

Since it is now the cool thing to do:
Table:
#1FlyswatterIt was way too close a contest for me between the epic HNHFD spell and this one, but I was sold on this one because of the clever use of the crypt lord model in a spell like this. The flying up was my favorite part, even though Szythe forgot to make the crypt lord invulnerable, so him dying would result in floating corpses.
#2Heaven' Nine-Headed Fire DragonI really liked this spell and would have made it #1 if it had some lateral movement to it. Somehow when I think Nine-Headed dragon I think of multiple things from multiple angles converging and destroying a unit, not just a swooping action it had. If it had that little bit, it would've pushed it over the top from awesome to epic.
#3Lightning FuryOf all of the other ones, I thought this was the coolest. The biggest problem with the spell was that I could see it being applicable to level 1 spell, not just ultimates. It just didn't have the pizazz necessary for epicness, but it was very clean and cool to use, and for that it gets third.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:13 PM   #14
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

Ok, so, when will it be closed ?
Old 08-16-2008, 07:15 PM   #15
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Post
The poll closes whenever I decide it does.