08-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Free Software Terrorist
Join Date: Apr 2003
The 2008 spell olympics (contestants, please read)
We are happy to announce that apparently we can have spell olympics once again, hard to believe but 4 years have passed since the previous spell olympics, many out there probably don't even remember them, but we'll continue the tradition. As it is quite an important contest that we seldom get to see, we'll be delivering a lot of awards.
- This is for code-powered spells, the main condition is that the spells are 'triggered'.
- The spell submitted for a category should actually use the theme specified by the category.
- Corrected 09/08/08 Work on the submitted spells must have started after the time this contest was announced.
- You can use GUI, Jass, vJass, other people's systems. WEU/UMSWE are allowed but please specify that you need them to open the map so our editor doesn't crash... When using other people's systems, specify so with a comment or something. Notice though that there is an effort section in the scoring rules in which you'll get punished if all your spell does is calling someone else's system's code.
- You are allowed to import a dummy model, that's invisible and has attachment points, this model should not exceed 50Kb when uncompressed. This is the only imported file you are allowed to have in your script.
- You can participate in any number of categories simultaneously.
- You can only enter a single spell per category.
- You must include all your spells in a single map attached to a pastebin thread, make sure the pastebin thread's title begins with [OLY], your submissions will be ignored otherwise.
- You must include a list of the spells included in the map and their respective categories.
- You must include all your spells in the same map.
- Your map should have basic spell testing capabilities, like enemy units, allied units, a way to restore cooldown/mana and another way to level the hero up.
- You are free to update the map you submitted anytime before the deadline ends.
- For every category, we'll award a variant number of medals:
- 1 to 2 submitted spells : One medal (first/only place - bronze )
- 3 submitted spells : Two medals (first place - silver, second place - bronze)
- More than 3 submitted spells : Three medals (gold-silver-bronze)
- Each gold medal: 13 rep.
- Each silver medal: 9 rep.
- Each bronze medal: 5 rep.
- And of course, every medal means a nice looking award for your profile and braggin rights.
- Notice the more people that enter the contest the better chance the award will be bigger, make sure to encourage people to join.
- The deadline is September 1522, 2008 at 04:00 AM GMT.
- You are encouraged to keep posting screenshots about your WIP stuff in this thread.
- Theme (15):
How well does the spell follow the category? Should be easy to get 15 here, mostly to penalize people that submit a water spell for the fire category...
- Originality/Design/Coolness (15) :
A spell must be good doesn't it?
- Code style (5) :
- Cleanness (5) :
Your code must be clean, if using vJass have correct scope/library usage, if using normal Jass prefix stuff carefully, if using GUI, try to make the code at least understandable. Above all, avoid embedded systems, really.
- Performance (10):
The whole memory leak / speed stuff, the spell doesn't have to use the fastest possible code to get a 10, but if there are really performance related issues with it, you'll get a low score here.
- Robustness (15) :
Bugs in the code will be penalized, else you might keep a 15 here.
- Implementability, configurability, documentation, (10) :
Try making the spell in a way that other people can actually use it.
- Effort (20) :
You must have worked hard on this spell, just making something that adds a passive ability when you click the button or a spell that simply calls a function from a system you didn't make is likely to make you lose points here.
So, I am double checking if I found all the submissions, if you are not in the list please PM me.
Kyrbi0||Captain Griffen ||Anitarf ||MassiveMaster |
XeNiM666 || Szythe|| Zerzax|| Strilanc|
That's right, 16 guys
Most people seem to have uploaded at least two spells, so this is going to be interesting