wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Project Discussion > Map Testing
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 05-28-2008, 03:59 AM   #1
Dark.Revenant
User

Submissions (1)

Dark.Revenant will become famous soon enough (44)Dark.Revenant will become famous soon enough (44)

Default (12) Phase Killer

Phase Killer

• Multiplayer-Only - Technically it can be played with one player, but the game isn't exactly going to progress. It's impossible to write an AI for this kind of map with our current technology.

• Twelve Players - 6-12 players are recommended. Any less to start with degrades the quality of the game.

Premise

Stay alive and try to acquire better items over time if possible

Three Roles:

- Townsfolk - No special abilities other than having 6 item slots as opposed to the phasers' two. The one condition to win is to kill the Phase Killer. You can still win even as a ghost, but it becomes more difficult that way.

- Phasers - Half of the players in the game, rounding down, become Phasers. Phasers have the ability to Phase, which moves them to and fro the Aetherworld. Phasers are the most helpful for hunting down the Phase Killer, but ironically are the ones to be considered as the potential Phase Killer.

- Phase Killer - One of the Phasers in the game is the Phase Killer. The Phase Killer has the ability to phase, transform into his natural form at will (albeit with a slight negative health regeneration), disguise himself as a different player (changing his name and color, but not his pings), upgrade himself using collected souls, change his form/specialization at will, and use a handful of combat-related abilities.

Features

• Three Dimensions - There are three dimensions: the two standard ones, the normal world and the aetherworld, and the harsh hard-to-reach omniworld. There are several ways to go between the normal world and the aetherworld, but the most direct route is through the ability possessed by Phasers: phasing. The omniworld is reached through the omniworld gateway after it has been activated by a specific item combo.

• Chat System - The chat system is customized with interesting features that allow for more unique gameplay. Especially interesting is the auto-garbled speech that one may experience...

• Life after Death - If you die, you become a ghost. As a ghost, you can instantly phase between the dimensions and use a short-range teleportation ability. Ghosts also use mana to talk in two ways: short-range floating text or public chat (the latter of which is auto-garbled). Ghosts also have a chance at resurrection if someone manages to acquire Arcanum (good luck getting whoever has one to consume it by reviving you; it has a really good passive ability and is very tough to get).

• Items. Lots of Items. - The bread and butter of Phase Killer is in the items, which are spawned throughout the map on the ground. Some items are more common than others, others only appear in the Aetherworld, etc. However, the real depth to them is the combinations possible by, well, combining them by moving one item over another in your inventory. There are currently more combination-acquired item types than randomly-spawned item types.

• Good Reading - Somewhat of a tip of the hat to Wilderness Survival, every item combination (in some way or another) is depicted in the various books that can be found lying around the map. Some books are much harder to decipher than others, and one is even readable only in the aetherworld.

• Zombies - Players may be semi-revived as zombies, controlled by their masters and possibly even traded like slaves between players. Zombies have no inventory but are powerful in combat and can become human by consuming someone's corpse.

The above is basically a general consensus of Phase Killer, and by no means lists everything in the map. If you want to experience it, I suggest you play it.

That being said, I would like constructive criticism. If people don't point out flaws, bugs, and the such, posting the map here is a waste.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD (0.1.1c as of 6/24/08)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PhaseKiller.jpg (102.3 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by Dark.Revenant : 07-30-2008 at 05:13 AM.
Dark.Revenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 05-28-2008, 04:45 AM   #2
Dragon.Head
User

Dragon.Head has little to show at this moment (1)

Well the concept is pretty good, transferring between worlds is a good innovation to the map.

More info on the systems, like Chat system and Phase system, would help people give you more feedback. As of now, I don't know how the Chat system works, does it use a multiboard or floating texts? What is different in Aetherworld from the real world? Right now, it reminds me of Silent Hill origins.
Dragon.Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:18 AM   #3
Gorman
.▲▼▲&#9

Submissions (2)

Gorman will become famous soon enough (57)Gorman will become famous soon enough (57)

Send a message via MSN to Gorman

This a great game, i loved it.

The chat system is great, and its awesome to be the killer, making confusion in teh world! =D

The worlds system is nice, looks good without being stupid.

The only flaws i can see at the moment is that the killer cant ping, and the quests/help menu is empty. I was killer my first game, and the other people wouldnt tell me how to make items, so i was basicly screwed when i transformed into other people, as they ahd unique items. Maybe allow killer to steal items when he transforms?

All in all its a great game, but it just needs polishing.
Its getting around on B-net alot already, so grats!

Ill post more bugs when i play more! (im now hosting on US.East if anyone wants a game =)

EDIT2: will computer players be up for grabs for Phase Killer? coz i played with 4 computer players and 4 real, and i was just wondering.

Last edited by Gorman : 05-28-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
Dark.Revenant
User

Submissions (1)

Dark.Revenant will become famous soon enough (44)Dark.Revenant will become famous soon enough (44)

Glad you liked it!

1. There is help in the quests menu in the version available from the original post.

2. As stated in the original post, there will be no computer AI. It's simply too impossible of a task to make one.

3. The killer CAN ping, but the thing is he pings with his actual color. (Just so you know, you can only ping on the MAIN screen in this map. No pinging across the world, just at where you can see.)

Last edited by Dark.Revenant : 05-28-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
Gorman
.▲▼▲&#9

Submissions (2)

Gorman will become famous soon enough (57)Gorman will become famous soon enough (57)

ah yes, ive been playing an older version =P

yeah about the AI, i mean if i put computer players on to make it more interesting at the start of the game, so the Killer can feed lots, then can they be picked as killer? or have u prevented this

And i mean, the killer cant ping in other peoples colour, but i guess thats on purpose to prevent it being impossible to tell who is real =P

Ive been hostin it alot now, maybe if we get enough people im gonna start a clan for it =P
Old 05-28-2008, 02:50 PM   #6
Dragon.Head
User

Dragon.Head has little to show at this moment (1)

I love this map! It's really challenging to see who's the killer, while at the same time being challenging to be the killer. I've been a killer once, and I had a hard time covering myself and framing others.

Playing as a regular human is most boring of all roles. You can't phase, you can only use rifts which are hard to come by and it's hard to kill the killer when he can phase and you can't.

I've been playing an old version w/ Gorman though, so some statements may be wrong in the current version.
Dragon.Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #7
Gorman
.▲▼▲&#9

Submissions (2)

Human is deffinatley the most boring, in theory the Phasers should provide wepaons to help you, but insted they horde and gaurd their loot. Maybe allowing humans to make differnt recepie items would make Phasers more inclined to cooperate with the normals.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:47 PM   #8
Dark.Revenant
User

Submissions (1)

Perhaps I should allow the humans to have the full 6-item inventory while the phasers are stuck with the usual 4...

And you bring a good point about computers, Gorman. Since currently they are able to be picked as Phasers and the Phase Killer, I'll fix them to be excluded from the role assignments altogether, except for the player count issue. For example, if there are four computers and four actual players, all four players will be phasers and one of them the phase killer.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:32 AM   #9
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

So it's Parallel Escape mixed with Dark Deeds, cute. I'll try it if the time presents itself.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:20 AM   #10
Gorman
.▲▼▲&#9

Submissions (2)

Thats deffinatley the best option for computer players Dark, 6 slots for humans would be rather insane =D

Rising, u should play it, its good.

EDIT: a few things that need to be fixed;
-Item spawning should depend on number of players to prevent flooding in low players, and starving in high players
-High level items shouldnt spawn at the start, it should be timed as to when they start spawning, or hav a chance depending on time. I once made an aegeis blade before roles were assigned, that shouldnt happen...
-Marbles are extremely rare, youd be lucky to have more then 6 in one game...
-Light orbs are extremely common, tone it down!
-Try to use a smarter item spawning system, there is no need to have more then one of each weapon type per player on the map at any time. So in ur item spawning triggers limit it!
-Im not sure if items disapear or not, but they should eventualy, make a system to keep the number of items on the map at a constant number of around 30 i think would be best, or sumthing along those lines.
Im no entirely sure what ur item spawning stuff is like atm, but it does need a few balances and watnot.

Last edited by Gorman : 05-30-2008 at 01:34 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:34 AM   #11
Dark.Revenant
User

Submissions (1)

Many of the things you listed, Gorman, I have considered before or tried before and decided against them. I have my reasons. The bugs and problems you list are fixed.

I have a new version ready, which includes a few additions including a third dimension should the right conditions be met.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:37 AM   #12
Gorman
.▲▼▲&#9

Submissions (2)

nice Revenant! ill try it out n come back to you with nething that needs workin.

EDIT: i cant seem to download from media fire, it just reopens the same window and never starts my download, can you upload to this site, or to Epic war please?

Last edited by Gorman : 06-05-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:17 PM   #13
Dark.Revenant
User

Submissions (1)

Definitely not epicwar yet. And uploading to this site doesn't work.

But the mediafire link works fine for me.

Last edited by Dark.Revenant : 06-05-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:53 PM   #14
Gorman
.▲▼▲&#9

Submissions (2)

Dw, i got my friend to dl it and send to me, so its good =)

A few things that still need working;

At the start there is a second where you can see your guys, use a fade out over 0 seconds from black to black at the start if you cant get it.

Item balance;
The almost useless crystal orbs spawn wayyyy too often
RX is very hard to find
Too many armours spawn

Ill give u a better reveiw when i play it a bit more, but great new versioN! =)

EDIT: wow, i made it to the 3rd realm, amazing man! did not except that! this gives it a very nice story line! im very impressed!!!

Last edited by Gorman : 06-05-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:02 PM   #15
Dark.Revenant
User

Submissions (1)

The item spawning is from the randomness of it. Crystal Orbs are not useless; they don't use a hand and let you see invisible units. RX is listed as common, so that's just luck. Armors are classified as Rare and Very Rare, so this is mostly a thing of luck.

Also, nice sig.