wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Project Discussion > Map / Campaign Projects
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 05-25-2008, 04:29 AM   #1
Kyrbi0
~There we go~

Submissions (1)

Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (156)Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (156)

Send a message via MSN to Kyrbi0
Default ~Custom Race Creation~ (no official name)

Hello, and Welcome! This is my "Custom Race" project. I am personally working on "adding" (at this point) races to the melee Warcraft 3 game, as well as eventually creating custom campaigns for those races (waaay in the future). The number of races I add is entirely dependant upon how many I actually finish (oddly enough).

Planned races include Jungle Trolls, Naga, Forsaken, Goblin, Dwarves, and Nerubians (See below for more information).

My goal/theme/motto with these races is 3-fold:
- Does not conflict with existing races/abilities.
- Follows Blizzard precedent "as well as possible".
- Create the "best" (IMO) representation of a race that is possible.

People visiting this topic are welcome to:
- Suggest ideas for the topic at hand (or for anything that strikes your interest).
- Provide feedback for ideas posted by me.
- Post any kind of cool race-related ideas.
- Start discussions about Race Design in general, and other such topics.

Thanks for checking this out; hope you can learn something and/or help me out with my progress.
[--> insert lame pep-talk phrase here <--]

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

In order to simplify things, I'll make quick-n-easy links to the various parts of the discussions where the information is. I'll add things as I go along.
NOTE: Forget all that "sending the map out" stuff. I just realized their's an entire freakin' sub-forum for that kind of stuff. So this is just the "idea + discussion" thread. Sorry all.
~~Of course, if you contribute sufficiently, that can change. :P~~

~~~
~Jungle Trolls~
||||||||||
~~~
Current Map: Version 13.2.2

Current Techtree: Click image for larger version

Name:	Jungle Troll - Handclaw's Method.JPG
Views:	1303
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	35951
Techtree Post: http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showpost...12&postcount=2
Building List + Questions Post: http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showpost...3&postcount=30
Revised Heroes Discussion Post: http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showpost...6&postcount=54
R - H - D Post - - Simplified!: http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showpost...1&postcount=59
Updated Unit - Troll Skullbearer: http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showpost...4&postcount=60
Various Requests + Notices!: http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showpost...7&postcount=72
Concept Art by Askhati (w/ more below): http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showpost...&postcount=164
Updated Heroes: http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showpost...&postcount=383
Jungle Troll Recap ~(WARNING: Mega Posts Ahoy)~ http://www.wc3c.net/showpost.php?p=1...&postcount=397
NEW - Jungle Troll AI'd: http://www.wc3c.net/showpost.php?p=1...&postcount=397

~~~

~Forsaken~
||||||||||
~~~
Current Map: [none available]
Current Techtree: [none available]
Old Techtree + Ideas Post: http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showpost...7&postcount=28

~~~
~Naga~
||||||||||
~~~
Techtree Post: http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showpost...2&postcount=19
Alternatives Post: http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showpost...8&postcount=33
Lore Reasons Post: http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showpost...4&postcount=23

~~~
~Nerubian~
||||||||||
~~~
Techtree Post: http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showpost...9&postcount=88
((^^Also the Beginning of "Deep" Nerubian Discussion, for those interested))

~~~
~Dwarves~
||||||||||
~~~
Techtree Post: http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showpost...&postcount=136

~~~
~Goblins~
||||||||||
~~~
Loose Tabled Techtree Post: http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showpost...&postcount=137
More Detailed Techtree Post: http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showpost...&postcount=180
((^^Also the quasi-beginning of In-Depth Goblin Discussion, for those interested))

~~~
No More To Come (unless I turn Masochistic!)
~~~

~List of Helpful Users / "Team Members"?~
UserContribution
cosmicatOriginal Discussionist and Idea Man
theRowboatCustom Gnoll Race, Discussionist
jigraelFreelance Modeller (so.. many... models :P)
AskhatiConcept Artist, Discussionist, Tester
RenegadeMushroomTopic BUMPer, Custom Races, Tester
Alexander244"Wall of Zombies" Code, Coding Help
FurionTester
MechmapTester (reviewed)
WeazelTester
PurificationTester
Michael PeppersTester, Discussionist, some Concept Art, Custom AI
deolrinFreelance Modeller

Original 1st Post:
Hidden information:
Custom Race Creation [No Official Name] ~ Kyrbi0

Summary:
I was a boy with a dream… A dream to make a cool Jungle Troll campaign. Long story short, I realized that it stunk and I needed to focus on making the custom race before I could effectively create a campaign. Go figure. So anyway, that, coupled with my love for making custom heroes, led me to where I am today.

Ok, that was a bad summary. In Summation:
- I am currently working on making custom races.
- I was originally just working on a Jungle Troll race, but have since branched out into more than 5 races.
- - (Yes, I know this sounds ambitious, but really, it’s a backyard project, and I’ve got nearly everything planned out already, sans some minor details)
- The current “lineup” is Jungle Trolls, Forsaken, Naga, Goblin, and Nerubian. Possible others (yeah right) include Elementals, Pandaren, and… Dwarves.

The one thing I can’t promise is something really freakin' amazing; I mean, this all really started as a fun way to spend time for me, so I’m not going to go all “Ominous Horizons” on you and stuff.
Also, due to strict anti-downloading policy at my facility, I am unable to avail myself of many of the fine programs, models, skins, icons, abilities, spells, etc that can be found on Wc3C. So suggesting that I just “dl the spellpack from vex” isn’t very helpful, unfortunately.

Basically, I’m looking for help in the way of feedback to various ideas, possible help in coding things (limited to GUI, basically, with JASS to fix leaks), and sometimes just plain ol’ brainstorming for ideas. Anything would be much appreciated.

Features:
A well-made, nicely polished custom race(s) for various unused factions in Warcraft 3. (Note: “well-made” and “nicely polished” do not imply “loaded with schweet custom models and omgosh-my-eyecandy spells”)

Team:
· Kyrbi0 – Triggerer, Terrainer, Object Editor, Main Tester, etc etc (unfortunately, I basically did it all)
· Various help sources (from other websites, such as “GameFAQs”) – Estel3, Bigmacca, Tico, Purgatory_Knight, Groggar, theRowboat

Progress:
I have most everything planned out (but a lot of it is up for question). However, the amount I have actually created in the WE:
Jungle Trolls (~98% actually created)
Forsaken (~45%)
Naga (~25%)
Goblin (~10%)
Nerubian (~10%).

Misc.:
Yeah, so anyway. I know I’m new on these forums, but I’m hoping for some love from the community; y’know, nothing like “woah, y don’t u giv the Trollz a Elemtnal Shaman guy w/ totemz!!”. No.
In a way, I’m a little like Handclaw and his Goblin race… Only less custom stuff. : (

So yeah, any help is greatly appreciated. I hope to reignite my passion for world editing.
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=

Last edited by Kyrbi0 : 07-15-2011 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Simplified things. Removed link.
Kyrbi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 05-27-2008, 07:32 AM   #2
Kyrbi0
~There we go~

Submissions (1)

Well, in order to assuage any possible comments on how it seems as though I have no work to show for myself, I figured I'd present what I have so far (for the Trolls, that is).

The Tribesmen ~ Jungle Trolls

Troll "Altar" Heroes - Altar of Da Jungle:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - H) Medicine Mon.jpg
Views:	1300
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	34382Medicine Mon (Agility): Mystical Hero, adept at supporting units and casting spells. Can learn Concoct Potion, Animate Stone, Headhunt Aura and Grim Ward. Attacks land and air units.
DrtMonPicJungle Dartmon (Agility): Cunning Hero, skilled at assassinations and disabling enemies. Can learn Crawl, Stranglethorn Venom, Deadly Aim, and Multi-Trap. Attacks land and air units.
MedMonPicMedicine Mon (Intelligence): Cunning Hero, skilled at conjuring spirits and cursing enemies. Can learn Gather Shadows, Voodoo Doll, Sacred Guardians, and Aura of Spirits. Attacks land and air units.
WarPicWarbringer (Strength): Warrior Hero, expert at manipulating battle and leading assaults. Can learn Flaming Spear, Battle Charge, Warcry and Flank. Attacks land units.

Troll "Town Hall" Unit – Grisly Message --> Lurid Warning --> Gruesome Testament:
GrndPicGroundling (T1): Basic worker unit. Excels at scouting. Can harvest gold and lumber, build structures and Repair. Attacks land units, air units, and trees.

Troll "Barracks" Units – Training Log:
HntrPicHunter (T1): Basic long-ranged unit. Has Tracking, which gives sight of each attacked unit. Can learn Crawl, Wilderness Survival, and Troll Regeneration. Attacks land and air units.
SlshrPicSlasher (T1.5): Versatile melee warrior. Has Slash and can learn Hijack, which allows it to to take over enemy towers or mechanical units. Can also learn Crawl. Attacks land units.
MangPicMangonel (T2): Long-range anti-unit weaponry. Effective against units, but slow and vulnerable. Has the Retrofit ability, which re-arms the Mangonel into either a Stone-Lobber or a Dart-Thrower. Attacks land and air units.

Troll "Caster Barracks" Units – Voodoo Shrine:
HPPicHigh Priest (T2): Primary spellcaster. Uses juju magic to bolster allies. Can initially cast Lifebind, which immobilizes both caster and target, but heals target rapidly. Can also learn Juju Beam and Bad Vibes. Attacks land and air units.
PotPicPotion Doc (T2): Supporting spellcaster. Can initially cast Poison Cask, which summons an invisible poison-thrower. Can also learn Blur Brew and Refresher Ward. Attacks land and air units.
MojPicMojo Twister (T2.5): Trollish anti-mage mounted on a deadly Spider. Wielder of dark mojo. Can initially cast Mind Poison, which damages a unit until they cast a spell. Can learn Null Ward. Attacks land and air units.

Troll “T2 Barracks" Units – Hunting Lodge:
MarPicMarauder (T2): Highly mobile attack cavalry. Can learn the Laceration ability, which gives it a 20% of opening a grevious wound on an enemy unit. Attacks land units.
BombPicBom-bat-ier (T2.5): Medium flying siege unit with incredible range. Good at destroying buildings. Has the Swoop ability, which gives a boost of speed but makes it more vulnerable. Can learn Troll Regeneration and Echolocation. Attacks land units.
VampPicVampire Bat (T3): Flying attack creature with Blood Drink, which lets them regain health with each attack. Can learn the Echolocation ability and Bat Swarm abilities. Attacks land and air units.

Troll "T3 Barracks" Units – War Hall:
TikiPicTiki Warrior (T2.5): Powerful warrior-mage, adept at regenerative magics and ranged tiki assaults. Can Shift ahead while moving. Has Sacred Staff, and Spell Immunity. Can learn Crawl and Tiki Amulet. Attacks land and air units.
WallPicWall Climber (T3): Agile melee warrior. Has Hide in Trees and Acrobatics. Can learn Crawl and gain a ranged attack against air units with Enable Spears. Attacks land (and air) units.

(My apologies; the other pictures won't load correctly.)
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=

Last edited by Kyrbi0 : 05-27-2008 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Added the Units
Old 05-27-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
The Druidinator
User

The Druidinator has little to show at this moment (4)

I just tested your race out on the test-map. I really liked it, especially the spells. The Hexxer's lv 6 spell didnt look like it was functioning to me, though. Or is it connected to his other spirit spell? I also noticed that i couldnt produce any more Pigs when i reached 58 Food (nice idea with the pigs, I think its original).
The Druidinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
Belphegor666
User

Submissions (1)

Belphegor666 is on a distinguished road (16)

Sounds fun. I'll test and send you feedback later.

I would rather focus on races to give them unique feel and gameplay and then worry about heroes etc.
Belphegor666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
Kyrbi0
~There we go~

Submissions (1)

Thank you! (Actually, I'm glad that worked; I have never uploaded it before)
My apologies that I couldn't put in a normal "melee-ish" map for testing; there's still several things to fix before that, though.

@Druidinator - The Hexxer's ultimate spell is a passive aura called "Aura of Spirits"; it's effect only comes into play when one of your (friendly Troll units) dies. At that point, it summons a "Spirit Warrior" from that Troll's body, allowing them to fight on for a period.
"Spirit Warriors" are permanent, but ranged and somewhat weak (they die quickly).
As to the Boars... I didn't know that it stopped. Are you saying that it stopped you from building more? Because I'm pretty sure that you have to have more Boar Huts to sustain more Boars (i.e. Build Moar Ziggurats!).
Still, thanks for the bug; I'll have to check on that.

@Belphegor - Thanks. Oh, and take your time; I'll be really busy for the rest of the day (hosting a Wii Party!), so I probably won't be able to check again until tomorrow morning.
But what did you mean by
Quote:
I would rather focus on races to give them unique feel and gameplay and then worry about heroes etc.
?
Do you mean you'd rather see me post info about the units?
Old 05-27-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
The Druidinator
User

About the boars. I created around 10 boars from the first building. Then, hte icon to create more of then vanished. I made a new building, but no icon there. Maybe i didnt check it up properly and i just needed to build a third building.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:23 PM   #7
Kyrbi0
~There we go~

Submissions (1)

Oh! Yeah, due to the messed up-ness of the original map, you start with, like, 50+ Food worth of units/heroes, but you only have one Boar Hut. So you have to continue building Boar Huts until you're allowed to build more Boars.

That's just a bug due to the triggers involved (all GUI); it just makes it so that I can't have any "pre-placed" Boar Huts (since it works on the principle of "finished construction"). It should work fine for melee.

(And if you're wondering about the contradiction about 'me being busy', I just cleared up my day, so I may have time)
Old 05-27-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
The Druidinator
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrbi0
Oh! Yeah, due to the messed up-ness of the original map, you start with, like, 50+ Food worth of units/heroes, but you only have one Boar Hut. So you have to continue building Boar Huts until you're allowed to build more Boars.

That's just a bug due to the triggers involved (all GUI); it just makes it so that I can't have any "pre-placed" Boar Huts (since it works on the principle of "finished construction"). It should work fine for melee.

Thanks, now I see. I really look forward for your other races, too. Especially the Nerubians, will be interesting how you'll build them up. I also loved your spell Climb, could give lots of strategic choices... but why does it destroy the tree your Wall Climber hides in?
And more, I think the speed for researching things is a bit too fast.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:25 PM   #9
moyack
Evil Emoticon

Respected User
Project Leader: PoC

Submissions (17)

moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)

AI Tournament #2 - 2nd PlaceHero Contest - Second place

Send a message via MSN to moyack

I just have one question: how are you going to manage the fifth race?? how it will be selected??
moyack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #10
Kyrbi0
~There we go~

Submissions (1)

*Climb* - Well, yes, that's the only way I could get it to work right. I thought about using Sentinel or something (so I could target trees and not destroy them), but that would require a whole new level of trigger-leak-fixing, which I wanted to avoid.

*Research Speed* - Unfortunately, I don't really play melee anymore. As such, I have no "practical" sense of balance; only balance in a vague sense, and as it pertains to the other 4 normal races. So part of the reason for posting the map was to get "balance tips", like "this is too powerful/long/imba", or "need to buff X spell", etc.

@Moyack - Wow. I'm literally honored you checked out my topic/project; I've been a fan of your work for quite some time (actually, I got a few Naga ideas from you... hehehe). I only wish I could work at your caliber.
As to how I will "manage" it... I honestly don't know. I mean, I'm working with another guy who "should" be helping to make a Dialog selection menu at the beginning; I could of course do like Blizzard on the map 'Monolith' and have a player enter a code... Meh. I'm not so good with that part of it; I was more concerned with making a melee-compatible race (i.e., no repeats like a Shadow Hunter, Batrider, Witch Doctor, etc)

Any ideas? (course, if I ever get to the stage where I have all 4-6 races complete, I could just overwrite the existing ones...)

***Oh, and I've updated the "Troll" post with all the unit information.***

Last edited by Kyrbi0 : 05-27-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:33 PM   #11
THE_END
THE_Legion General

Project Member: PoC

Submissions (17)

THE_END is just really nice (386)THE_END is just really nice (386)THE_END is just really nice (386)THE_END is just really nice (386)THE_END is just really nice (386)

Hero Contest #3 - 3rd PlaceSkinning Contest 10 ~ Druid of the talon

Send a message via AIM to THE_END Send a message via MSN to THE_END

Hrm..a Naga race, I would like to see your twist on that compared to Moyacks ^_^
As well as the Forsaken
Old 05-28-2008, 01:38 AM   #12
Sabertooth_X
YOU GET ROCKED?

Submissions (14)

Sabertooth_X will become famous soon enough (54)Sabertooth_X will become famous soon enough (54)

As for the other races, I think Raviganion or whatever had to configure a way so that it's races were accessable...I don't know what it is, but maybe someone who was around then does.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:59 AM   #13
moyack
Evil Emoticon

Respected User

Submissions (17)

moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)moyack is a splendid one to behold (661)

My opinion is to avoid dialogs as much as possible, because they don't work at map init, and many stuff related to the races can be set only in that stage.

I personally would suggest you to take advantage of the almost never used handicap. In this way, a fifth race can be set more or less easily by just setting to a normal race a handicap and then, at map init, set the custom race for that player and reestablish the handicap to 100%.

Quote:
actually, I got a few Naga ideas from you... hehehe
Well, that's the reason of the forum at www.pocr.tk, if you want to put ideas, go ahead and we'll discuss them.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:18 AM   #14
Kyrbi0
~There we go~

Submissions (1)

Wow, I didn't know that about Handicaps... You'll have to show me the code for that; I don't know how to take advantage of that one.

"Put ideas"? I got ideas from you. Besides, I can't join forums. Well, I couldn't. Hence I only recently joined this one. I have no need to join every forum for every cool project I see; that'd be waaay too much for me. Gamefaqs and Wc3Campaigns are enough for me.

Besides, the direction that you are taking your project, and the resources at your beck and call are vastly different from mine, making many of my ideas inconsequential (i.e., interesting ways to make GUI spells).
Old 05-28-2008, 03:25 AM   #15
moyack
Evil Emoticon

Respected User

Submissions (17)

Here's an example of the usage of handicap to select AI for a player: http://www.wc3campaigns.net/attachme...1&d=1205351433